Would you restart?  

168 members have voted

1. 1. Would you restart?

• Yes
    • No

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply
But winning the league is a bit different I mean you even get an "acheivement" for doing that. I'm only being honest, end of day I did have the satisfaction in season 2 being in CL because as said it was a game that I should have got something out of it, no ifs or buts hence why I did it. Overall I didnt do that great in S2 but enjoyed the "game" more as at the end of the day that's what it is.

I mean I've actually done it "for real" since so there you go, what more can I say about something I cant undo which I did 2 months ago?

I get quite immersed in my game and take the failures with the success, regardless of whether they were "fair" or not. It just feels good to look back over my "career" and see that I had the heartbreak and the joy, the ups and the downs, like a real manager would get.

ljwjones - Do you reload every time the ref has a shocker, even if you win?

Nope but then again I also don't reload every time the referee has a shocker and I lose. I rage quit, nobody else ever done that(cue the "get some self control" comments)

I get quite immersed in my game and take the failures with the success, regardless of whether they were "fair" or not. It just feels good to look back over my "career" and see that I had the heartbreak and the joy, the ups and the downs, like a real manager would get.

but this is fm where you can have upteen/hundred careers with all sorts of teams / challenges and it's only for 1 real life year i.e. until fm 15 comes out so for me fm/real life managers can no way be compared.

I certainly wouldn't restart and never have, I recently played a cup final as Dynamo Kiev manager, we'd won the league two years running but hadn't won the cup for about 10 years and we were in the final, we went down to 10 men in the second minute, conceded two penalties, had an injury when all 3 subs were made and lost 4-0!

I didn't quit, its all part of the game, surely it makes you more determined to set it right and win trophies!

but this is fm where you can have upteen/hundred careers with all sorts of teams / challenges and it's only for 1 real life year i.e. until fm 15 comes out so for me fm/real life managers can no way be compared.

Then surely it should be easier to accept the occasional result that goes against you? As you could win the cup the following season within a week of real time.

I certainly wouldn't restart and never have, I recently played a cup final as Dynamo Kiev manager, we'd won the league two years running but hadn't won the cup for about 10 years and we were in the final, we went down to 10 men in the second minute, conceded two penalties, had an injury when all 3 subs were made and lost 4-0!

!

I got to the Scottish Cup final with Hibs in this years version. To put it into context, I haven't won a major cup competition in any version of the game since CM 01/02, so this was kind of a big deal for me. Final was against Celtic so we were the underdogs, but we'd beaten them in the league, so I knew what tactics to try. Within the first ten mins, my DM had picked up a yellow card. Ten minutes later, he was still flying into tackles, so I decided to sub him before he got a red card. Of course, in that little gap between you making the sub and it actually happening on the field, he made another bad tackle and was sent off. Arrrrgh. I was also 1-0 down at this point too. Cue me chasing the game and eventually losing 5-0.

It never once even entered my head to reload it. As annoying as it was.

Then surely it should be easier to accept the occasional result that goes against you? As you could win the cup the following season within a week of real time.

and believe me that's exaclty what I have done aswell more times than not but just not on that occasion for the reasons outlined.

Since then I've done this and that, won la liga with Real Madrid thinking I could get a CL aswell but no I have not won it and yes lost in a final to Man city but did I re-start err no way.

I mean I am loving the challenge to win the CL hence have yet to do it but no way would I re-start a final to then win it as I know Id feel bad but once again no I didnt feel bad about what I did 2 months ago.

]

Grow a pair? Between the opening season and the one am in now (17/18) We have played and lost no fewer than 1 champions league final, 1 french cup final, 2 league cup finals and the finished 2nd in the league 3 times. I know how to lose.

I reloaded as it just seemed ridiculous for a referee to get a match rating of 3.3, players never get that low so how can a ref. The offside goal was never offside not in a million years.

And penalties aren't penalties, sending offs aren't sending offs........its a feature of football. Recall Frank Lampard's "goal" for England?

Its your choice but you asked for opinion so as mentioned a reload until you win just makes the win hollow. It would feel like cheating to me so I wouldn't do it

While this might be a valid point this wasn't the league, or even the champions league, it was the league cup(well French one) which in all honesty doesn't count for much. I have won it before, but ive also been knocked out in the first round i have appeared in before. It just really annoyed me to see my lads beat man city 4-0 then a few days later lose due to a dodgy refereeing decision. Maybe if this result had come after a few league games or whatever I wouldn't have quit. Or even if the ref had made just that one mistake, but it got to me. I don't reload to win, i have lost champions league final lost French cup finals, league cup finals, titles at the last second, it all. But this one was annoying and I restarted. Well will do when I get home. If I lose then ah well i will lose, if i win then its another win. Its not a save wrecker, just a huge "grr get lost"(to put it nicely) moment.
You seem to be justifying your reasons for doing it by saying 'it's only the french cup, pretty meaningless' but that's clearly not the case. If it was just some tin pot cup you wouldn't have been bothered enough to reload.I'm interested to know why you did reload though? You say it wasn't to win, so why not just accept the referee had a shocker. I honestly don't believe that if you had lost after reloading you wouldn't have gone again until you had won the game.

You seem to be justifying your reasons for doing it by saying 'it's only the french cup, pretty meaningless' but that's clearly not the case. If it was just some tin pot cup you wouldn't have been bothered enough to reload.I'm interested to know why you did reload though? You say it wasn't to win, so why not just accept the referee had a shocker. I honestly don't believe that if you had lost after reloading you wouldn't have gone again until you had won the game.

It wasn't to win, i have lost to psg before, lost league titles and cups and everything else. It was due to how bad the ref was. Maybe it was affected by the fact that this was my last match for the evening that made it even easier to just not save it. But honestly even if i go home tonight turn it on and we lose, i won't restart it as jokes on psg really with us sitting atop the league above them.

It was due to how bad the ref was.

ah there you go, well I have to say this has to be worse than "what I did".

Therefore why should this game be any different to any other i.e. if ref gets say less than a 4 or a 5 then thats it I'm re-starting?

So on that argument it isnt very good as we all know refs make wrong decisions.

End of day my case was unique and a so called one off and was purely as a principle kind of thing.

Love to know now comments from the 5 who did say they would re-start?

I shall set the scene.

I manage Marseille in France. After years of punching in and around the top 3 without winning it this season is going to plan. Top of the league, semi finals of Champions league, final of league cup and still in French cup(can't remember what stage)

Its coming up to our first chance of silverware this season(not counting champions trophy which we won), the league cup final. But prior to that earlier in the week is the champions league 1/4 final 2nd leg, we lost the first leg 5-2 at the Etihad against City, mainly due to my keeper being injured so having a bad one in net, the second leg is a miracle and we win 4-0 so 6-5 on aggregate. 3 of our 4 goals in that match by ex United players. We are full of confidence going into the final.

In the final we are playing PSG our fierce rivals. It starts well with us being 1-0 up at half time. Second half the performance drops a bit and it is 1-1 FT so goes into extra time. In 1st half of extra time nothing of note happens and its still 1-1 at HT ET. In second half on 115 min we score, only for it to be ruled out for offside, the replay shows the striker was on the 6 yard box and the defender was on the goal line, bad decision referee. Then in the 120th min we score an og from a corner and lose the match.

On the screen afterwards it say about the referee "Didn't have the best game of his career" so I check his rating for the match 3.3.

I am not losing it like that and turned it off. Am wondering how many other people would.

Damn I should of reload every time I lost on Penalties! so unfair!!

Is it possible for a player in game to get a rating of 3.3? I have never seen it but want to know if its possible.

I had a 56 I believe unbeaten run in the Premier League than at Spurs my left back, possible one of the best in the game, had a freaking horrible game that let me to a 5-2 defeat, his damn rating was 2.4 at the end of the game, worst part of the game was that my key player got an injury in the first 3 min and I don't quite remember right but I had to use all my substitutes before first half....so I had to be stuck with that damn player...and lost my record..........the sweat thing about this story is that when I played them again at home it felt so good beaten them 5-2 lol. And my left back havent seen a game again, infact already looking for a replacement :p

And I didnt reset it and trust me it hurts more to lose a good record of 56 unbeaten games in the league then losing a CL Final, it does kill the game. Those are my 2cents

And I didnt reset it and trust me it hurts more to lose a good record of 56 unbeaten games in the league then losing a CL Final, it does kill the game. Those are my 2cents

I know that hurts, i lost a 44 game unbeaten run this season. We were cruising at 1-0 in 80th min then collapsed to a 2-1 loss to a bottom of league side. I played on also and will get my own back when it comes to it. But hey ho people probably think i would just restart to keep that run going.

Won't happen, they would get shot down of cause.

Well were both standing ok :)

Dont have to prove anythign to anybody, just saying HONESTLY about our fm experiences, yes if it was against a human or just a blatent lie then thats a totally different ball game.

All this surely is better than just saying

I just won the "2020" (given a few years to actually get there) champions league with bla de bla fc who were in division n so how brillaint is that.

Coming from the person whose adamant he will restart due to the game not going his way? Bit rich.

have I or have i not been shot down? I do not restart if the game doesn't go my way, as i have said many times I have lost champions league finals, French cup finals, league titles by a couple of points, confed cup final I can lose and I do lose.

I was simply just saying people who said they would restart havn't said anything(I suspect) due to the large amount of people who have been just like you then.

In the 1999 Second Division Playoff Final, when referee Mark Hals*y, from Lancashire, may as well have been wearing a Man City strip. The whole game, everything went to the "big" side. But despite that, we (Gillingham) were 2-0 up on 90 minutes. Then, for no reason at all, and to the utter disbelief of everyone in the stadium, he decided to play 7 minutes of time added on, and City scored twice to force extra time. Eventually we lost on penalties.

One local paper didn't give Hals*y a rating because how one-sided he was couldn't be adequately expressed in numbers. All of the other press focused on "The Rebirth of Man City", "the first step towards the new era" and all that jazz, ignoring the fact that they only got there by nefarious means.

Football took me to the saddest I'd ever been at that moment. The next season, to no fanfare, we came back, and we won those playoffs- and it took me to the highest high.

Ask me now if I'd want to reload the Man City final because of the terrible refereeing on display, and I'd tell you no. And that's the real world, with real emotion. I couldn't entertain the idea of doing it in FM. If you lose, you lose. You dust yourself down, and you look at what you do next to make sure it doesn't happen again.

I was going to ask for a bit more detail about the goal, specifically what Dagenham Dave asked about the possibility of the keeper playing people offside, but that has already been asked and (inconclusively) answered. If I felt like it was a bug then there would be the possibility I would restart. For me, the 3.3 by the ref would be the reason that I would continue playing, because it justifies what happened. So no I wouldn't restart.

There wasn't even an option to question it in the press conference, which added insult to injury.

:lol:

This is the big issue for me. Recently on my save I lost a cup final to an awful penalty decision, and at the end of the match I specifically remembered to check the description of the referees performance, where it clearly said he made a ridiculous decision. So I prepare my aggressive tone and contemplate whether I will launch into a string of expletives, but then the press conference comes and goes with no mention of the ref. I was so angry!! I can't even convey my anger through text. The prospect of attacking the referee was literally the only thing keeping me going after losing that match, I was so down. Just thinking of him getting away with it makes me angry to this day.

The fallout from something like this (particularly the OP) should be huge. Obviously you should be able to criticise the ref heavily, and there should be some effect of this to enjoy. Like he gets demoted or something. If he was bad enough he should even be hounded out of the game.

In situations where the two teams are not from the same country then the entirety of the media from the victims country should be up in arms. If they don't have an existing rivalry then there should be the possibility that one would start. The media circus about the event should take a long time to go away - if you play the team again, or have the referee again then it should be being made into a big deal.

The fans should basically never forget things like this. Suppose you go on to win the trophy then I would like to see fans saying something like "Are ecstatic about winning, especially after the heartbreak of 2014." Actually win it against the team that robbed you the first time? Perhaps a message like "The fans celebrated manager x and his players after successfully getting retribution on club X in a saga that started more than 10 years ago." etc. Add to this that large events should have the potential to rapidly affect players and their mentality. Some should favour the club, some should want to leave. Some should like each other, some should dislike each other. Depending on how you handle it the event could be something that unites the club out of the disappointment, or leaves it fractured with a bad mood remaining about the club.

Players that don't even play for you should be affected. Some should like your club (ie become "supporter") as a result of things like this. If you complain then perhaps in future a player will say that he has never wanted to play for you since your lack of professionalism in the CL saga of 2014. Perhaps some admire you for speaking your mind.

Massive events are something I would like to see in FM. The significance of football on people's lives is understated in the game, imo.

So, we've now ascertained that the OP didn't reload the game because he lost, as he's lost lots of finals before. We've also found out that because it wasn't an important cup, it didn't really matter and that the real reason was because of the referee's poor performance and diabolical decision to chop off a goal.

We therefore have to ask the OP this question.

If you had WON the game on the back of an atrocious decision by the ref by, say, scoring a clearly offside goal, and he'd received a 3.3 rating, would you have replayed the game in that scenario?

Because remember, that was the REAL reason....:rolleyes:

If there was a player on the goal line clearly playing you onside but it was ruled offside and there was no other mention made of that incident then I'd say it sounds like a bug, because when refs make genuine bad decisions you have an option to criticise, don't you?

In the 1999 Second Division Playoff Final, when referee Mark Hals*y, from Lancashire, may as well have been wearing a Man City strip. The whole game, everything went to the "big" side. But despite that, we (Gillingham) were 2-0 up on 90 minutes. Then, for no reason at all, and to the utter disbelief of everyone in the stadium, he decided to play 7 minutes of time added on, and City scored twice to force extra time. Eventually we lost on penalties.

It was five minutes and City had already scored before injury time started. But a creative recollection of events nonetheless.

well done ljwjones despite all the posts sticking with this and not running away from the thread.

Whilst I may not agree with you for my reasons, much respect for staying and making your point in the face of adversity

I wouldn't have reloaded, but I loathe the fact that with all the camera present a refereeing decision can still cost you a game. Actually, if there was any time left at all, the other team could have scored, but obviously we'll never know if that would have happened. Unless it's the last kick of the match, you can't say that one offside decision, no matter how harsh, decided the game.

An actual case of "the last kick/horrible call" occurred in baseball a few years ago. A fairly obscure pitcher was on a perfect game with two outs in the ninth inning. The next batter appeared to ground out, but the first base umpire incorrectly called him safe. It wasn't even close. After the game, the pitcher basically said, "We're human. It happens." To me, this is a clear case of a justified real-life "reload". Unfortunately, the decision wasn't changed by the commissioner, so he never got credit for actually pitching a perfect game. To give some perspective, only 23 perfect games have ever been recorded in MLB. The pitcher could have justifiably been very upset.

I wouldn't have reloaded, but I loathe the fact that with all the camera present a refereeing decision can still cost you a game. Actually, if there was any time left at all, the other team could have scored, but obviously we'll never know if that would have happened. Unless it's the last kick of the match, you can't say that one offside decision, no matter how harsh, decided the game.

An actual case of "the last kick/horrible call" occurred in baseball a few years ago. A fairly obscure pitcher was on a perfect game with two outs in the ninth inning. The next batter appeared to ground out, but the first base umpire incorrectly called him safe. It wasn't even close. After the game, the pitcher basically said, "We're human. It happens." To me, this is a clear case of a justified real-life "reload". Unfortunately, the decision wasn't changed by the commissioner, so he never got credit for actually pitching a perfect game. To give some perspective, only 23 perfect games have ever been recorded in MLB. The pitcher could have justifiably been very upset.

I'm sure I read about that guy on Cracked. He'd pretty much had the most defining moment of a baseball career, had it ruined, but then went "it's alright, mistakes happen". Massive credit to the guy - I'd probably have got one of the bats and started chasing the umpire...but - and I know this is veering sharply into off-topic - would anyone truly want decisions in football to be absolutely 100% correct all the time? I know it sounds ridiculous to say anything else, but where would the intrigue come from? The talking points?

Personally - and oh look, I've swerved back on topic :D - I would put more refereeing mistakes in the game. Personally I'm someone who likes to make a story out of the game. I'm not in it necessarily to win everything at the first time of asking, I'm there to build something, tell a story, even if it's just in my own head. Refereeing mistakes give you a story, whether it's for or against you.

Personally - and oh look, I've swerved back on topic :D - I would put more refereeing mistakes in the game. Personally I'm someone who likes to make a story out of the game. I'm not in it necessarily to win everything at the first time of asking, I'm there to build something, tell a story, even if it's just in my own head. Refereeing mistakes give you a story, whether it's for or against you.

I agree with this, it's the way I play too. Just don't add Willie Collum-esque levels of incompetence tho...

I agree with this too but it would be nice if the news articles helped to make more of a story of it. For instance instead of fans and the board being angry with the manager for loosing a game, maybe they should be angry with the referee for giving a ridiculous last minute penalty? Would be nice if some negative results/situations in the game got blamed on someone other than the manager.

IF there were something that was a bug (like if my keeper got sent off for handling outside the area, which isn't the rule and almost NEVER happens, say), then I'd say a reload is fair. However, I'd have quit at that point, and if I'm being totally honest if that happened when I was up by two I probably would've ridden it out.

Your situation, though, isn't a bug, it's just bad luck. There are times where the refs are ridiculously biased in your favor, too, and you probably don't think "Hmm, I should reload that" so much as you think "Wow, awesome, three penalties in one game!"

I'm sure I read about that guy on Cracked. He'd pretty much had the most defining moment of a baseball career, had it ruined, but then went "it's alright, mistakes happen". Massive credit to the guy - I'd probably have got one of the bats and started chasing the umpire...but - and I know this is veering sharply into off-topic - would anyone truly want decisions in football to be absolutely 100% correct all the time? I know it sounds ridiculous to say anything else, but where would the intrigue come from? The talking points?

Didn't the umpire in that situation also apologize the next day, admitting he'd screwed up the call?

Didn't the umpire in that situation also apologize the next day, admitting he'd screwed up the call?

Yes, he did. He felt awful about making the incorrect call - you could tell that it wasn't just a rote apology. That's why Selig (the commissioner) should have retroactively given the perfect game. It would have hurt no one, except for the batter who got credited with a hit, and I think even he would have been OK with losing that.

Although that brings up another issue. What if that batter was in a batting title race and that hit put him on top, but the out would put him 2nd? I know ridiculously hypothetical, but interesting, at least to me.

would anyone truly want decisions in football to be absolutely 100% correct all the time?

I actually would. Maybe it comes from the fact the I'm a software developer and I hate bugs in my code. They need to be fixed, and I see mistakes by refs in the same light. "Why didn't he get that right? We can clearly see it was wrong, and there's an easy fix!" I see that I'm in the minority, and of course the talking points are fun sometimes, but I'd still take no mistakes if I could. In the case of FM, I wish that there was an option for that - "turn off referee mistakes", or something similar - since obviously a computer program knows exactly what happened and can get the call right 100% of the time if programmed to do so.

I actually would. Maybe it comes from the fact the I'm a software developer and I hate bugs in my code. They need to be fixed, and I see mistakes by refs in the same light. "Why didn't he get that right? We can clearly see it was wrong, and there's an easy fix!" I see that I'm in the minority, and of course the talking points are fun sometimes, but I'd still take no mistakes if I could. In the case of FM, I wish that there was an option for that - "turn off referee mistakes", or something similar - since obviously a computer program knows exactly what happened and can get the call right 100% of the time if programmed to do so.

I'm a developer too, but maybe I'm managing to separate sport from occupation :p

I think most fans, as soon as they have a decision against them would want 100% correct decisions all the time. Just watch how that opinion drops as soon as they benefit from one...

I think that if SI work hard on the code of the officials in the game then they could perhaps make a lot of money in the future by selling that code to technology companies who want to make artificial ref bots.

It would be especially fun when suspicious patterns of betting on the Asian market raised suspicions that the ref had been hacked.

"You don't know what you're computing! You don't know what you're computing!"

i think that if si work hard on the code of the officials in the game then they could perhaps make a lot of money in the future by selling that code to technology companies who want to make artificial ref bots.

It would be especially fun when suspicious patterns of betting on the asian market raised suspicions that the ref had been hacked.

"you don't know what you're computing! You don't know what you're computing!"

"you only sing when you're buggy...sing when you're buuuuuuuuuggy"

I have been playing champ/fm since I was 13 and in my younger days I did reload occasionally if I felt things had gone against me unfairly. Not normally cup finals or league deciders but a few quarter final failures. But it always felt a bit hollow to return and try again. Now I am older and the game is more sophisticated I just accept whatever happens down to luck and skill. In my last long save I lost a champions league semi with a last minute away goal cos I didnt change to a defensive tactic, and it hurt bad. But it would have been pointless restarting

Archived