Would a unified Yugoslavian team do well at this tournament?

Rebs

This is shamelessly stolen from another forum...but it's a good topic!

What if the former Yugolsavian countries had not become the former Yugoslavian countries and simply stayed as Yugoslavia...would this team have done well in this Euro's? How far do you think they would have reached?

Handanovic

Srna

Vidic

Subotic

Kolarov

Jovetic

Pjanic

Modric

Pandev

Dzeko

Mandzukic

Pretty decent I reckon and up there with the best maybe?

Also worth considering a 2012 unified USSR team maybe...although would that just be Russia with Shevchenko upfront and Rebrov cheering him from the sidelines?

Would never win it. Yugoslavia had equal or rather even better players through time but never won it (lost twice in the Final). Team chemistry mostly sucked, player selection was always heavily criticized to have been favoured by a certain nation etc.

What about a new USSR team?

No need for such team. In USSR there was abundance of players, but you can only field 11 playrs))) and normally there was a base-team:

- in 1950-1960 - Dynamo M/Torpedo/CSKA/Spartak guys + two or three guys from Dynamo Kiev and somebody from Dynamo Tbilisi;

- in 1970-1980 - Dynamo Kiev + two-three guys from Moscow and one or two guys from Dynamo Tbilisi.

Now I don't know how to combine Russian and Ukrainian teams (plus, maybe one or two guys from Georgia). Rest of the national teams are too week and don't have more than one decent player.

More or less the same situation was in Yugo.

I still think a third reich team would beat everyone. Germany/Austria, Netherlands, Belgium, France, Italy, Greece, 'Eastern block', 'Scandinavia', some minor states (Luxemburg, Liechtenstein, Monaco, San Marino, Vatican City :D) + assorted colonies. Sieg! :D

I still think a third reich team would beat everyone. Germany/Austria, Netherlands, Belgium, France, Italy, Greece, 'Eastern block', 'Scandinavia', some minor states (Luxemburg, Liechtenstein, Monaco, San Marino, Vatican City :D) + assorted colonies. Sieg! :D

I raise you the Spanish Habsburg Empire team, from the time of the personal union with the crown of Portugal, with Spain, Portugal, Spanish-speaking America, Brazil, southern Italy, and the rebellious territory of the Netherlands. ;)

Casillas

Sergio Ramos-Thiago Silva-Piqué-Marcelo

Mascherano-Xabi Alonso-Lucas

Ronaldo-Messi

Falcão

I raise you the Spanish Habsburg Empire team, from the time of the personal union with the crown of Portugal, with Spain, Portugal, Spanish-speaking America, Brazil, southern Italy, and the rebellious territory of the Netherlands. ;)

Casillas

Sergio Ramos-Thiago Silva-Piqué-Marcelo

Mascherano-Xabi Alonso-Lucas

Ronaldo-Messi

Falcão

Any reason you left out Spain's two best players to crowbar in a Liverpool player and an ex-Liverpool player?

Many, but curiously enough, caring about Liverpool isn't one of them.

A few being, I'd lose my Brazilian Football Thread credentials without three defensive midfielders, I don't want the team pinging the ball around like *****, I gave this exactly ten seconds thought, Masch is ex-Corinthians, and I find the thought hilarious that this team would be set up to park the bus and go on the counter out of deliberate choice instead of need.

Many, but curiously enough, caring about Liverpool isn't one of them.

A few being, I'd lose my Brazilian Football Thread credentials without three defensive midfielders, I don't want the team pinging the ball around like *****, I gave this exactly ten seconds thought, Masch is ex-Corinthians, and I find the thought hilarious that this team would be set up to park the bus and go on the counter out of deliberate choice instead of need.

:cool: (the bold part and the general idea of this post).

3 DMs for the win. :)

Splitting countries is also fun, I would love to see a separate State of Rio de Janeiro National Team. :)

We would have Thiago Silva, Marcelo, Dedé, Vágner Love.

Handanović

Ivanović Ćorluka Vidić/Subotić Kolarov

Modrić Kuzmanović

Srna Jovetić Tošić

Džeko

What I had down in the Ex-Yu thread (Inserted Jovetić instead of Misimović who I had originally). Would have a strong bench too - Pletikosa, Vučinić, Lovren, Pandev, Mandžukić, Vukojević, Sulejmani etc

Well Deki is retired from Internationals now...otherwise he'd be above Kuzmanovic for me in football_master94's team (which is pretty spot on for me)

Vucinic probably for the bench as well

Seeing as how this was a hypothetical team I thought we were ignoring retirements.

Agree that FM94's team is about right though, I just chucked down the first 11 names that came to mind tbh :D

Seeing as how this was a hypothetical team I thought we were ignoring retirements.

Agree that FM94's team is about right though, I just chucked down the first 11 names that came to mind tbh :D

Well obviously not as its for THIS tournament. Otherwise, we'd have Predrag Mijatovic, Davor Suker et al

Well yeah but clearly Stankovic still has the ability to play at the top level, it's not like he's retired from club football as well. Who knows if he's still be retired from internationals if he thought he actually had a chance of winning something, he's only 33 after all. Vidic has retired as well iirc but I see no problem in including him.

In fact I just checked and Stankovic retired after the last qualifying game for 2012 so I think it's safe to say he'd probably be playing if Serbia had qualified.

British Empire team >>>>> all

Perhaps if we still capped random Africans we'd actually be quite useful. Seems to work for France/Belgium.

Excluding England and the Thirteen Colonies (because that would make it boring and I can't be bothered to go through every player respectively) but including the rest of the British Isles, here is a British Empire team:

-------------Schwarzer------

Opare--Yobo--Mensah--Taiwo

Pienaar--Essien--Mikel---Bale

------------Ayew------------

------------Long-------------

Subs include Given, Dunne, Williams, Muntari, Fletcher, Ramsey, Cahill, Duff, Gyan, Yakubu. Whilst the squad might be improved (particularly in midfield), I don't think that's any better than England's first team.

Byzantine Empire national team would have a good chance of winning it. You have the pick of Italy and most of Yugoslavia, with a couple from Turkey, maybe a few North African players. And Giorgios Samaras, obviously!

Add Pirlo, Buffon, and one from Balotelli, Cassano or Di Natale to that Yugo side, more or less. Maybe De Rossi or Chiellini. Would be pretty superb.

The Portuguese Empire would pretty much be Portugal + Brazil, as South-Asian players are not very good.:D

But there would be some more good players eligible: Essien (Accra), Malouda (French Guyana) and some Uruguayans (probably those with a Portuguese name like Álvaro Pereira, Maxi Pereira and Loco Abreu).

Possibly because you've far from picked the best 11?

Feel free to try and do better. I don't think there is much between the midfield options and I deliberately went for Long ahead of Yakubu etc.

Could add Howard and Bradley from America if you want to include them, but I don't think they improve the first team a great deal if at all. Could also add John De Guzman if you ignore his Netherlands caps.

ottoman empire team

gk: volkan demerel

dl: djamel mesbah

dr: ahmed elmohamady

dc: nemanya vidic

dc: corluka

mr: sotiris ninis

ml: adel taarabt

mc: djamal mahamat

mc: hamit altintop

sc: mohamed zidan

sc: mirko vucinic

Mayan/Incan Empire side might be quite handy too.

Mayan (never really an empire, just city-states) would be Southern Mexico + Guatemala, Honduras.

Incan would be Peru's coast, Chile, Ecuador. So basically Chile + a couple of players from Ecuador + Peru.

Archived