Senegal's Arsenal Thread 2012/2013 : featuring positive negativity

Retro

• Replies 11.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Fun fact for us. Less so for Liverpool fans: Since 02.03.12. Arsenal have won as many EPL games at Anfield as Liverpool :thup:

Actually, it can be stretched to include all of 2012, as Liverpool's two home games before that both ended in draws against Tottenham and Stoke respectively, and their last home win before that was on 30 December 2011 against Newcastle :p

I've only just noticed, Gibbs went absolutely mental at Giroud when he missed that chance yesterday, looked outraged! I would say that won't help his confidence but Giroud didn't seem to gaf anyway. Still, I found that strange from a teammate.

You don't know exactly what Gibbs said, might not have been having a pop.

I was trying to take that stance, but I've seen it a few times now and you don't tell someone "Never mind, mate. Nice try!" in that fashion :D I can only assume he was calling for the pass which he didn't get, wasn't the best option for Giroud imo, and got animated after Giroud missed. Not trying to blow this out of proportion at all, I just found it strange.

I like his movement. If he keeps getting in such good positions I'm sure he'll be fine. We just need the rest of the team to pick up the slack in the meantime - if Giroud's not scoring and the team's not scoring then the pressure will get really intense.

Bergkamp took 7 games to get his first goal, Henry took 8 games. Bergkamp, Henry, Wright and Van Persie all scored their first goal against Southampton. We play Southampton next. Not even a little bit concerned.

Technically, Wright scored his first goal against Leicester, in the League Cup.

Stuck with International break, I'd like to have a little discussion regarding our transfer activity/policy and spending power.

Some say we have no money, and therefore need new investment like Usmanov.

Some say we do have the money, but the management team lack the will and ambition.

And a couple other theories....

Personally, I never question the management or the board's will or ambition. I don't think Wenger have any less will to win than the managers of other clubs. All evidence point to how much he care about the success of this club, and therefore, the success of his own career and life's work.

Is it possible that our biggest problem right now is the wage structure? Perhaps we do have the money, but it was all spent on big contracts for our players. Perhaps, half a decade ago, the management team (ie. Wenger) decided that the best way to spend the limited funds is to invest in youngsters he believe would turn out good, and hold them with big contracts. Wenger put his faith in his ability to scout and develop players, and on the loyalty of his developed players. Instead of spending more on players and less on wages, like Spurs, we chose to spend less on transfers and more on wages, which explain why our wage budget is at an all-time high in recent time (recently breaking the 100m barrier not too long ago) yet we seem to have the need to break even in the transfer market.

Perhaps, like Liverpool, we are now paying for the failed policy. Perhaps, this summer, Wenger has really already done the best he could, given the limitation he placed on himself by his own failed project. Perhaps, if has nothing to do with lack of ambition, but just financial realities, facing the problems we created. Perhaps, once we restructure our wage structure by getting rid of deadwood, along with the probably increased revenues from new sponsorship deals, we will have an increased spending power. For every Bendtner we get rid of, for example, we can bring in a Grioud. Hopefully, the increased revenue will also allow us to bring in additions rather than just replacements.

Maybe in a few years time, we won't have to break even in the transfer market. Maybe, we can bring in the likes of Dembele and Dempsey-esque players. We will never be able to afford 50 million EUROs signing. However, a few great mid-range signings, which might be made possible by increased revenues (from new sponsorship deals and in the future, clearing of debt) and much more efficient use of wage budget. If in the future, we can keep the same wage budget, but also have an actual "war chest," we would be able to finally compete for titles. After all, just because we can't afford an Eden Hazard, doesn't mean we can't compete. After all, wouldn't a few more Sagna-esque signings (mid range 5-15m) be all that's needed for this team to compete for titles?

Apparently Fabregas is unhappy at Barcelona being on the bench a lot, would anybody take him back? Just something to chat about whilst the Internationals are here

as for us not spending, we are saving up 300 million for Messi... :D

Might be biased or something too, but I think the way Cesc left and how he's acted since has been in a different league to Nasri, Van Persie etc. I'd welcome him back to the Emirates anytime.

So going on strike and refusing to take part in Pre season makes him better than Nasri etc??

Last summer apparently to try and push through the move. Whilst I am sure he behaved badly I personally felt the statement from RVP was worse as it humiliated the club in public.

Nasri was fine in his leaving. His biggest issue is his petulance which has been shown since.

I'd want him back because of the way he handled years of speculation, but where would he fit? I love Arteta, Ox apparently wants to play in the middle (and we know he can do that), Wilshere will hopefully return to his best quickly and steer clear of further recurrences, I hope Ramsey will finally get his form back and stay consistent, Diaby will hopefully convince everybody that he can play like he did last weekend in consecutive games, it would be great if Rosicky plays the way he did last season when he's back, and Cazorla is just wonderful. We're not building a team around one/two players any more, and it's looking like it might be the way to go. I don't think he'd walk straight back in to the starting 11, strange as that may sound.

Flame on :cool:

I agree. Of course I love Cesc but at the moment he wouldn't get in right away. Same as I said with Wilshere. Even if he comes back fit, I don't think he should automatically come in if Diaby, Arteta and Cazorla stay fit and carry on with the form they've show recently. Big ifs I know.

we are more of a 'team' this season than we have ever been. I know its only 3 games but its the one thing that's been noticeable, in my opinion

I'm not a fan of channelling everything through one player unless his name is Thierry Henry, that was the only exception because he was exceptional. Cesc looked burdened so often, and we all agreed that his performances were below his own high standards at times during his last season.

There were some occasions in past seasons where our "go-to guy" wasn't playing, everybody stepped up and became responsible and we won games. And when opponents make plans for said go-to guy, he's often frustrated out of his rhythm, which affects the whole team. There's no one go-to guy in this team atm, so everybody is, which is harder to stop. Cesc would have to adapt to being an important part of this particular machine, which I'm sure he's tried to do at Barça, but now he's supposedly unhappy with his own contribution since he's obviously not involved as the go-to guy.

Sentimentalists. :*(

Of course Arsenal are competing with United, it's like saying United aren't competing with Barca and Madrid in the CL. Whether one is more likely to win than the other or not they're definitely competing not just cause they're both in the same tournament but cause they both have a chance of winning it to some degree

The meaning of competing seems to have changed with regards to football. Despite the fact that Arsenal have been in with a genuine chance of winning the league at least twice going in to the last month of the season since they last won it, it seems to have been decided by the media that they haven't competed, simply because they haven't won it. I guess they didn't compete in the cup finals (two?) they lost since 2005 either.

Archived