Liverpool Thread 2012/13

bell

• Replies 17.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

really want to see him in the first team at some point this season, hopefully rodgers gives him some game time in the cups with sterling. both should fit into the system out wide.

u19's play today btw both semis i think. robinson was **** last game, was getting tied in knots at times and falling over himself.

i guess its down to him (maxi^), i thought he didnt look too impressed when he got the ovation at the end of the season from fans expecting him to leave tbh. i'm not sure he does want to go and he'd probably fit rodgers style more if he did stay. thats if he hasnt declined to the point rodgers lets him know hes not needed.

on carroll; it all depends on who we bring in. weve only got him and suarez so we need to add to our striking options first.

his first touch is atrocious for a striker, i dont care what anyone says (i kept saying the same about babel). you get so little time in the prem to do something and if your first touch knocks the ball 1 or 2 yard away from yourself your in trouble. he gets away with it when he drops deep cos defenders are happy to let him but in and around the box you may aswell not bother passing to him. dont get me wrong, i like him and would love him to turn out great but hes 23, getting paid well and cant trap a ball to save his life....

robinson looked pretty **** again today. he was well scared to do anything with the ball and just squared it or got rid as soon as possible, never offered himself and made himself available either, just stood around when we had the ball. he did look knackered tbh so that could be part of the reason. wouldn't surprise me to find out he played exactly how blake wanted him to play though :D.

where has this 25% come from? not heard it mentioned before.

can't imagine we agreed to that as its madness considering what he cost anyway, wouldn't surprise me though as it was the most ill thought out deal ever.

google " Andy Carroll 25% sell on clause "

Nothing written in stone though but quite a few hits. He has the clause in the latest version of FM as well, although that cant be taken as gospel either.

robinson looked pretty **** again today. he was well scared to do anything with the ball and just squared it or got rid as soon as possible, never offered himself and made himself available either, just stood around when we had the ball. he did look knackered tbh so that could be part of the reason. wouldn't surprise me to find out he played exactly how blake wanted him to play though :D.

Ready for a season of Prem football though :thup:

i guess its down to him (maxi^), i thought he didnt look too impressed when he got the ovation at the end of the season from fans expecting him to leave tbh. i'm not sure he does want to go and he'd probably fit rodgers style more if he did stay. thats if he hasnt declined to the point rodgers lets him know hes not needed.

on carroll; it all depends on who we bring in. weve only got him and suarez so we need to add to our striking options first.

his first touch is atrocious for a striker, i dont care what anyone says (i kept saying the same about babel). you get so little time in the prem to do something and if your first touch knocks the ball 1 or 2 yard away from yourself your in trouble. he gets away with it when he drops deep cos defenders are happy to let him but in and around the box you may aswell not bother passing to him. dont get me wrong, i like him and would love him to turn out great but hes 23, getting paid well and cant trap a ball to save his life....

some times nervous tention or lack of confidence can make you misscontrol a ball, we do have bella's that can play upfront but we do need a player good enough to play every game.. my cat could control a ball better tho ;)

anyone else hear the alonso rumour? once rm get modric, he'll come back :)

prob bollocks but havnt seen it posted in here yet.

Yeah it will be bollocks, but I will jizz in my pants if it happened :D.

anyone else hear the alonso rumour? once rm get modric, he'll come back :)

prob bollocks but havnt seen it posted in here yet.

Would kiss Rodgers' feet if this happened. Of course I don't think he'd say yes to a complete stranger asking to kiss his feet so I'm probably safe either way.

I remember him at Swansea but didnt follow him in Italy, but I have to say we could use someone like him who will run the line and act as a poacher somewhat.

Feeling slightly underwhelmed by these transfer targets I must say. Don't know much about Borini but Dempsey in particular. Just seems like yet another 'let's sign the best players from the bottom half' type of gamble which has so far not done us any favours. Hope i'm wrong. Really wanted to see some top class, exciting young talent from the likes of Germany and France. Don't see why Newcastle can attract superb players from there but we're nowhere to be seen.

Feeling slightly underwhelmed by these transfer targets I must say. Don't know much about Borini but Dempsey in particular. Just seems like yet another 'let's sign the best players from the bottom half' type of gamble which has so far not done us any favours. Hope i'm wrong. Really wanted to see some top class, exciting young talent from the likes of Germany and France. Don't see why Newcastle can attract superb players from there but we're nowhere to be seen.

agreed but with the caveat that I see dempsey more or less like a benayoun/riera-type signing. a just valuable enough placeholder to allow you to address other needs immediately, with a 2-3 year expiration date. as a marquee signing, disappointing. as a squad player to fill a gap, then it's more appealing at the right price.

Realistically, who seem to be outs this summer? We have too many midfielders at the club but yet, need to strengthen due to lacking in quality. BR already has said Joe Cole will be staying.

Downing

Adam

Jonjo

Lucas

Maxi

Gerrard

Cole

Henderson

Aqualini

Spearing

Part time roles for Sterling and Suso

Ship out Adam asap. Maxi and Aqua will probably be off too. Not arsed whether Spearing stays or goes. Sign Dempsey (if thats who its going to be, I'd rather us sign a more out and out winger like Ramirez, but that seems dead) and I'd like us to find a decent DM as cover for Lucas. Not sure whether thats feasible when he's basically just going to be a backup.

agreed but with the caveat that I see dempsey more or less like a benayoun/riera-type signing. a just valuable enough placeholder to allow you to address other needs immediately, with a 2-3 year expiration date. as a marquee signing, disappointing. as a squad player to fill a gap, then it's more appealing at the right price.

aye, Dempsey an experienced replacement for Kuyt/Maxi as far as I see it. Borini is exciting young talent, doesn't matter that he's not from Germany or France. Ramirez would be the same, as would Gylfi have been. With Kenny and Woy's buy british philosophy and Rodgers probably limited scouting network at Swansea, it's hard to know just how much our own scouting network may be lacking in other countries, i.e. Germany or France.

Anyone else think N'Zonzi would be a worth a buy as back up for Lucas?

We're not really that attractive a club to big names though are we? Especially if we're watching the contract pennies as well.

Well in comparison to Newcastle we are a more attractive name, there is no reasons players similar to Cadbye, Cisse, Ben Arfa or Tiote wouldn't join us. Someone like Valbuena for instance, might very well be interested in coming to us, and would be ideal (though maybe a bit older than we'd like)

As cynical as it seems you also need to add in the factor of Dempsey helping us to "crack" the US market, and whilst I have no doubt Dempsey will more than hold his own at Liverpool he also brings us that added bonus. With only 1 year left on his current deal then Fulham may cash in for around 7mill and that could be a clever bit of business for us.

Borini is a highly rated young Italian forward who is now a full international - he is exactly the type of signing we should be looking at in my book. Get them in early and mould them into top players rather than having to do a Man City and buying the finished article for huge sums of cash.

Also think Dempsey deserves a bit more credit than being labelled one of the best from the bottom half of the table - after all Fulham finished on the same league points as us last season so we are in no position to get all uppity about signing their finest. As Daaaaave pointed out players like Riera, Yossi, Arbeloa, Masch etc were all signed from so called lesser clubs and did very well for us.

As cynical as it seems you also need to add in the factor of Dempsey helping us to "crack" the US market, and whilst I have no doubt Dempsey will more than hold his own at Liverpool he also brings us that added bonus. With only 1 year left on his current deal then Fulham may cash in for around 7mill and that could be a clever bit of business for us.

does the US market care about the prem?

Realistically, who seem to be outs this summer? We have too many midfielders at the club but yet, need to strengthen due to lacking in quality. BR already has said Joe Cole will be staying.

Downing

Adam

Jonjo

Lucas

Maxi

Gerrard

Cole

Henderson

Aqualini

Spearing

Part time roles for Sterling and Suso

Realistically, I think only Aquilani and Maxi are the more certain players to be leaving the club. If we are going to build further though I would sell Adam and Downing but I just cant see that happening in all honesty.

I would like to see Danny Wilson get more of a chance in defence. Id send Coates out on loan. Flano and Robinson I would send out as well.

Borini is a highly rated young Italian forward who is now a full international - he is exactly the type of signing we should be looking at in my book. Get them in early and mould them into top players rather than having to do a Man City and buying the finished article for huge sums of cash.

Also think Dempsey deserves a bit more credit than being labelled one of the best from the bottom half of the table - after all Fulham finished on the same league points as us last season so we are in no position to get all uppity about signing their finest. As Daaaaave pointed out players like Riera, Yossi, Arbeloa, Masch etc were all signed from so called lesser clubs and did very well for us.

I don't dispute any of this and both may be excellent footballers, but to me it's just doesn't inspire my belief in how far we're casting the net. Last year we basically signed players exclusively from the North of England. Now we're signing a lad Rodgers has previously worked with and another solid Premier League name (although this time from the South of England, the net is being cast further!).

It just worries me that this is how we're doing business rather than a superb scouting network finding the cream of Europe's undiscovered talent. There are so many bargains to be had in Germany and France. Look at what Newcastle have done recently, look at some of the absolute bargains Madrid have taken from the Bundesliga, look at Marin going to Chelsea for £6m, Kagawa for like, £12m? It goes on and on. I'm not saying we could have signed these players in particular (although some of them we doubtlessly could have if we got in early enough), but are we even looking at them? Or are we basically trying to hoover up players the manager knows (Allen and Siggurdsson heavily linked at various points) or players we see on MOTD?

Just don't find it particularly inspiring really. Wish we would have gone ahead with the planned DoF or the transfer 'expert' or whatever system they were talking about implementing.

Dave, agree with your point about Dempsey too. He's a fine player but I wish he was being signed to add to some exciting young attacking talent rather than AS the exciting attacking talent. But I guess that may still be the case. Just calling it as I see it thus far.

Borini is only 21. He had a good season in Italy and lets face it, Rodgers seems to get the best out of players. He could flurrish under him and at his age, £12m isnt exactly a lot of money. I know loyalty in football doesnt mean much anymore, but lets say 5 good seasons from him and his value could be something like £20-25m.

As for Dempsey. A very solid player but he is ageing. Although his experience will add to the squad vastly. 2-3 good seasons from him and I will be happy.

i think the important thing is both are improvements to the squad. we're crying out for goals atm and a poacher is exactly what we need and dempsey ive rated for a while now and is always a handful for defences.

whether theyre a success is anyones guess i suppose and its the risk you take with any transfer.

whether theyre a success is anyones guess i suppose and its the risk you take with any transfer.

Technically you do that with every transfer. No matter what you spend or even the name or reputation of the player, anything can happen and the signing could easily turn out to be a flop.

No doubt he would be a good signing. He has a good head on his shoulders and as we saw at Fulham last season, got himself in some fantastic positions. I think he could thrive off a Suarez or Gerrard.

Archived