Liverpool Thread 2012/13

bell

• Replies 17.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

will be gutted if we bail on carroll after only 18 months tbh. started to look the part finally both for us and england and will only get better.

good news on shelvey though. him and henderson has the potential of a great pairing in midfield.

Listening to Jan Molby on Liverpool tv he said Rodgers likes to play a 4-3-2-1 or you could call it 4-3-3.. he then said that Borini from Roma would handle the loan striker role... based on how Swansea played and what Rodgers has said, i am thinking he wants Liverpool to play similer to Spain, Barcelona and Arsenal or am i wrong? Any way from what i have seen of carrol he holds the ball up and lays if off to other players well..

If we was to have Suarez down the right and Ramirez if we get him down the left. surly Carrol could benifit from there supply or even hold the ball up for them to get forward beyond him?

We will never get 35-mill for Carrol as a resale so why not keep him and see if he can get more out of him than Dalglish did?

1 other thing we should remember, we played well at times last season, was it 28 times or somthing we hit the post or bar? if they had of gone in it would a be different story, i just cant see us having a worse season in terms of points won in the league..

1 other thing we should remember' date=' we played well at times last season, was it 28 times or somthing we hit the post or bar? if they had of gone in it would a be different story, i just cant see us having a worse season in terms of points won in the league..[/quote']

33, but we were the most off target team in the league, when you're shooting from range because you can't create decent chances these things happen.

which is why i have a lot of time for him

edit - on top of the fact it looks like he could become quite a good footballer

Not sure if it was Soccer saturday with Merson. But i remember 1 pundit saying Shelvey never looks like he will ever be good enough for Liverpool and he shouldn't be playing. I think at times he looks a bit worried or lacks in confidence. His body shape and the way he passes looks very similer to Gerrard...

Not sure if it was Soccer saturday with Merson. But i remember 1 pundit saying Shelvey never looks like he will ever be good enough for Liverpool and he shouldn't be playing. I think at times he looks a bit worried or lacks in confidence. His body shape and the way he passes looks very similer to Gerrard...

Yeah it was Merson, but do you really trust him as any sort of reliable source? :D

Yeah it was Merson, but do you really trust him as any sort of reliable source? :D

When Merson was Walsall manager he shipped off Scott Dann on loan to non-league and said he'd never make it as a professional footballer. :applause: So yeah I wouldn't take much notice of what he says :D

my reading of the carroll remarks is that br thinks he's been overcoddled, first because of his reputation for being a confidence player and then because of his transfer fee. this is his "**** or get off the pot" moment. I don't think he'd loan him out in this window, but he'll be watching to see how much carroll applies himself in preseason and the first few games of the season. if carroll can't get his head together and adapt to rodgers's game, then he'll have no excuse and no one to blame but himself when he gets moved on

The problem we have is if he wants to play the "false striker" formation, then Carroll is not the man for the job. You need quick, mobile, technically good players in all positions to play like that and Carroll will never be of that ilk. Also £35m for a plan B, is probably not good and cutting our losses or free up the wages seems much more sensible.

from shelveys interview

You touched upon it earlier, but you've had about a week now of working with Brendan Rodgers. What are your first impressions of him?

I think he's great. With all the passing drills he's doing, he's encouraging us to play all the time which is nice for a football player. Instead of doing a lot of long-distance running and things like that in pre-season, everything has been with a ball, which is more enjoyable. Everyone is enjoying training and looking forward to coming in.

Is that passing type of game something you feel will bring out the best in you?

I think so. I think it'll sharpen me up. The gaffer's also got a big thing about pressing the other teams hard, so I am trying to work on that side of my game as well.

What's the mood like amongst the rest of the lads with the new manager in charge?

Everyone is buzzing because he likes to play football. That's what people want to do and what fans want to see - nice, attractive football. Hopefully we can bring that to Anfield this year.

encouraging stuff. i really can't wait to see us in pre season.

Big Sam and exciting football in the same sentance doesnt sound right together.

Remember when he said he was good enough to manage Real Madrid or something to that effect :D

10 days until our first game, can't wait to see how well Rodger's philosophy is translated on the pitch.

if carroll goes to west ham it'll be **** for him and us. he'll basically become kevin davies mk 2, getting hoof balls to him all season and he'll not progress into a better footballer at all. not saying he'll have a bad season and not score goals or anything but his all round game will not benefit thats for sure.

saying that if he does go out on loan that basically says he hasn't got a future with us anyway so his development matters none, we'll just hope he bangs in a few goals and his value goes up a bit.

I took his comment to mean that Borini will excite us on the pitch, rather than just the signing itself. I'm a bit of a Carroll sympathiser, but there's no way in hell I'd allow him to leave the club just now. I do still think he could come good, and am encouraged by his performances at the end of the season and for England, so I wouldn't be happy to lose so much money on him.

I feel so sorry for Andy Carroll its unreal. All last season we played football which didnt suit him and when we actually did he was lethal. Towards the end of the season he seemed unstoppable at times.

At the moment, if we actually sold Carroll we would only get around £10-15m for him. If we send him on loan, where I actually think West Ham would be a better place for him. Send him there, he will have a fantastic season, I dont doubt that at all. Let him get his confidence back, his swagger and build his reputation back up, he will be worth closer to £25m if we did want to sell him.

Everyone wanted rid of him 6 months ago, now everyone wants to keep him. The fickle minds of a footballer supporters. :D

If BR does think he fits, then perhaps it's better to shift him on. Not on loan though, as we will have be once again subsidising a career of a marque signing while he plays elsewhere (just like Aqualani)

I personally never wanted rid of Andy Carroll but I do know some of the supporters you are talking about.

Anyway, just read this and as always, Brendan talks sense and I like his honesty.

I reckon we could get £15-20m for him. What loss we make doesn't really bother me, as he's clearly not worth that much, no point throwing good money (his wages)after bad just because we ****ed up in the first place. He is worth £15-20m, and doesn't fit in with what Rodgers wants, so it makes sense to sell him if we get an offer near our valuation. Also agree with knapp that he was hardly leathal. A lot better sure, but hardly CL competiting level.

If he doesn't fit in with Rodgers game plan, then there is no point keeping him sat on the bench each week, jsut so we can bring him on when Suarez is out so that he can play in a system he doesn't fit in to. I'd say we've already essentially taken the loss on him regardless, so move him on if he doesn't fit in. I'm sure he'd be brilliant at someone like Fulham, maybe we can get someone coming the other way in exchange.

On a slightly related note, I think I'm more gutted now that we didn't go for Jela than I was when he was banging them in for Everton. Someone with his closing down mentality and first touch finishing ability would fit so well in to Rodgers style. Let's go Jova and all will be forgiven though.

If he doesn't fit in with Rodgers game plan, then there is no point keeping him sat on the bench each week, jsut so we can bring him on when Suarez is out so that he can play in a system he doesn't fit in to. I'd say we've already essentially taken the loss on him regardless, so move him on if he doesn't fit in. I'm sure he'd be brilliant at someone like Fulham, maybe we can get someone coming the other way exchange.

Read a couple of bits saying that Fulham will try and use our 'interest' in Clint Dempsey to make a move for Carroll.

Not sure what to think of the Dempsey thing. Had a cracking season for Fulham and could be brilliant under Rodgers. Also weird that he was listed on the LFC site on our playing staff to.

Anyway, just read this and as always, Brendan talks sense and I like his honesty.

Good article, think a lot of fans elsewhere (not been that bad on here) talk about getting CL football like its 5 years ago and we're competiting with Everton for 4th place. With City, Spurs and Newcastle all after those places now, it's more about how we do in terms of total pts, and ability to consistently take points from the lower teams while continuing to do okay against the top ones, that determines progress, rather than just whether we finish in the top 4 or not.

Read a couple of bits saying that Fulham will try and use our 'interest' in Clint Dempsey to make a move for Carroll.

Not sure what to think of the Dempsey thing. Had a cracking season for Fulham and could be brilliant under Rodgers. Also weird that he was listed on the LFC site on our playing staff to.

ah, i just googled that (interestingly 'Dempsey and Carroll' is a stationary company), seems mostly just 2+2=4, rather than any quotes though, but yeah it makes sense to me, would be good for both teams. I think having experience like Dempsey in the team would do us a lot of good, if we signed him and then a load of overseas young players (Borini, Ramirez etc), I think that would be a good mix.

It's almost like he improved drastically over those last 6 months! :)

He got better in the last 4 games of the season, but is still a far cry from what we were supposedly buying him for and a long why short of what we require.

i totally agree, just noting that it wasn't surprising people were more willing to give him a chance. If we were gonna play in a style that suited him I think he'd be worth keeping, which is where I've changed my opinion since 6 months ago, but that's clearly not gonna be the case

Archived