Liverpool Thread 2012/13

bell

• Replies 17.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

he's obviously rodgers 'man' which he rates highly and has alot of confidence in that he can play his system. around 10m for an international who the manager knows in and out what he can offer is a great price.

he'll come in and rodgers will know exactly how to employ him and borini will know exactly the style and way we play and what rodgers expects.

I'm not excited at all by him yet. :( Even the videos of his goals didn't really get my pulse racing. He does know how to celebrate a goal though, goes crazy even when he knocks in a tap in.

To me it's just a decent buy, nothing more. I hope he puts in a couple of good performances in pre-season so that I can start to get a bit more excited.

He looks like a poacher and a poacher is what we need. Havent had a proper finisher in their youth/prime since Owen or Fowler really. I know that is a long shot what I am saying but thats how I see it. Torres had a lot more to his game than just finishing.

Maxi has left I see :(.

At least by signing Borini it shows that your manager is looking beyond average English players for massively inflated prices.

You'd probably have got Darren Bent for something like £30m if Kenny was still in charge!

Dear Reds, I am leaving Liverpool FC today.

Before signing for LFC, I just saw the club as one of the greatest institutions in football. After my time here I can confirm that this is not just a great club but also a great family.

I have tried to give everything every day that I was wearing the LFC crest. It has been a great honour to defend this shirt during two and a half years. I am returning home with a suitcase full of great memories, good friends within the team and also within this great family that works every day in the club. Thanks a lot for your support. You can NOT imagine what a great honour it was for me when the Kop sang, 'Maxi, Maxi Rodríguez runs down the wing for me da da da da dada...'

Hasta la vista.

Maxi

gutted. hasta la vista :D, anyone know what that actually means, only ever heard arnie say it before?

Watched a few match videos of Borini the other day and, like a few others, came to the conclusion that he's closest to Dirk Kuyt but with slightly better technical abilities. Super hard working, great movement, decent link up, good finisher (scores all his gimmes that I've seen). Not much pace, trickery or vision though. Am quite happy with that for £10m at 21 years old.

I remember seeing Borini play two games for Swansea one against Leeds the other against nowrich I think. I thought he was going to be a great player and was jealous that Chelsea had him. Borini takes great free kicks and is an intelligent player.

I would sell Adam, spearing and downing.

I have not been impressed with Coates yet, don't get why he is so hyped up even if he did win best young player in copa America.

I have not been impressed with Coates yet, don't get why he is so hyped up even if he did win best young player in copa America.

Another young player who has plenty of years ahead of him. Will only improve with games.

Fabio, we're in a car on the way back to Melwood after you completed your medical and the formalities of the deal. How does it feel to be a Liverpool player?

It feels really good - and to be back in England as well. It's a top club that has won a lot of trophies in the past - and will do so in the future we hope as well. I've got the trust of the manager and the club, which for me is very nice and I'm proud to be here.

How did you feel when you heard Liverpool were interested in you?

I felt really good because I wanted to come back to England one day. I knew sooner or later I would be back. Being back with Liverpool is even better because I can show the people what I can do. We've got the Europa League and lots of things to play for.

This will be the third time you've worked with Brendan Rodgers. How important was the boss in bringing you here?

He was very important. I wouldn't say it was the key, but most of it came from him. Even during last season, I spoke with him a lot. I'd text him and ask if he was okay and congratulated him on the results he got with Swansea. First of all it is a relationship of friendship and afterwards it is a working one. That is more important than anything.

What is Brendan like to play for?

I used to play 4-3-3 with him and he is very good to play football for. It is great to play football for him because you can have fun and you can get results. I could see at Swansea the people loved him because the football was attractive. People like to see football (played) like this.

What can we expect to see from the Liverpool players next season under Brendan?

They will certainly see football players that want to win, and that will always work for the team rather than themselves. Liverpool wants to get results and that's what we'll try to do.

What sort of player would you describe yourself as?

I'd describe myself as a player that never gives up and I run a lot. I had difficult times at Chelsea when I was younger because I came from Italy. It was very difficult, I tried to be strong for myself and demonstrate to people I could do it. That is an achievement I have made and why I am here.

You've just come back from being with the Italy squad at the European Championships. Has that experience helped you develop as a player?

Of course. It was a big experience for me. I'm only 21 years old, so it was a good experience even if I didn't play. Getting to the final was even more experience because it's not something that happens every day.It will be great to bring it (experience) with me.

I believe you have a special goal celebration Liverpool fans will want to see this season. Can you tell us a bit about it?

My celebration is a knife between the teeth. In Italy it means a warrior or someone who never gives up and will always get up if they fall down. At Swansea and Roma the fans liked it, so I hope to show it to Liverpool fans as well.

he's signed.

prliverpoolnewboy01.jpg

Liverpool have today confirmed they have completed the signing of AS Roma forward Fabio Borini.

The Italy international has put pen to paper on a long-term deal with the Reds after agreeing terms and passing a medical at Melwood.

In joining the club, Borini becomes Brendan Rodgers' first signing as Liverpool manager.

The 21-year-old has worked with the Reds' new boss before during a loan spell at Swansea City in 2011, while he has also represented Chelsea.

Last season he scored 10 goals in 26 appearances for Roma and earned his international debut in a friendly against USA. He was then a part of Italy's Euro 2012 squad.http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/latest-news/borini-completes-lfc-transfer

http://assets3.lfcimages.com/uploads/prliverpoolnewboy03.jpg

http://assets.lfcimages.com/uploads/prliverpoolnewboy01.jpg

[video=youtube;2dEJn66tRug]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2dEJn66tRug

[video=youtube;bpzLOkyJ5Vg]

2 good video's, to look at Borini looks crossed between Gary Neville and Cristian Bale.. He looks a like a goal hanger to me, based on last season at Liverpool i'm sure he could of scored 15 goals last year. I'm trusting every one's judgment he's good cos i aint got a clue about him!!

Rodgers told Liverpoolfc.com: "I was very keen to bring him here. Fabio fits the model of what we're trying to do in building not only for now, but also for the future."He's a big talent, 21 years of age, he scores goals, and his passion, focus and concentration is a very important part of his game - and a big part of what you want from a player."

Borini's transfer to Anfield means he links up with Rodgers for a third time.

The pair first worked together in Chelsea youth set-up, before the manager took him on loan to Swansea City in 2011

Rodgers added: "Yes, I've known him since he had just turned 16 years of age. We (Chelsea) took him in from Bologna when he was 16 and he progressed incredibly well as a young player to go on to play for the first team at Chelsea.

"It didn't work out in terms of he couldn't agree a contract, but before he left I took him on loan to Swansea and he made a big, big impression there and really helped us in our promotion charge that season.

"He left and went away (to Roma) and in the last season he's done incredibly well.

"I think the supporters will love him. As I said, he's a goalscorer, but he's a multifunctional player who can play in a number of positions - and someone I believe has got great growth.

"He's one of the few young players in the full Italian squad. I'd anticipate that over the next two or three years he'll really progress and I'm sure do very well for Liverpool."

Borini made four first-team appearances for Chelsea, before firing six goals in 12 appearances at Swansea.

Rodgers believes the previous experience of English football will stand the 21-year-old in good stead for the challenges that await him at Anfield.

"I think the adaptation will be much easier," he said. "I believe he'll feel as though he's coming home because his formative years as a young player were here in Britain and the game in this country suits him.

"He's technically strong, he's a good finisher with both feet, he can play central or on the sides in a 4-3-3 up front, he's quick, and he's tactically very good.

"He is arguably the best physical player I've worked with in terms of his pace, power and fitness. Mentally, he's very strong. We've got a player who is on the up and someone who I think Liverpool will benefit from."

Despite his tender age, Borini already has international honours with Italy and was part of their squad for the European Championships.

But while Rodgers feels the forward has the talent to make an instant impact, he believes the Reds will also reap the long-term benefits of their new No.29.

"I don't want to put any unnecessary pressure on him," he said." I believe he's one who can impact now - and he still has a lot of learning, growth and a lot to achieve in the game.

"This is a great environment for him to come into. It's a coaching environment, and it's a club which is historic.

"To leave a club like Roma having done very, very well for them and having just completed a transfer shows the pull we have as a football club.

"Roma is one of the world's big clubs - certainly in Italy it is - so for him to leave there having done very well, and for Roma to fight to get him in, just shows the incredible pull Liverpool Football Club has."

does the US market care about the prem?

I can say that the signings of bocanegra, johnson, mcbride and dempsey raised the profile of fulham considerably in the states. I'm not sure it moved that many more shirts, but it's also sort of strangely hard for me to say since I'm in one of the more established soccer markets in the states, so most fans have already picked a side to support.

but, as a matter of fact, yes. epl is still the top brand of football in america. far more than mls. there is a conversation on one of my local boards about why it is that a friendly arranged this summer with villa is considered higher profile than one with valencia.

Is 29 really deemed as aging now? :lol:

we're all amateur businessmen now. dempsey is probably just hitting his peak in terms of reading the game and understanding how to maximise results, but he's aging because of lack of roi as measured by the possibility of selling him on and recouping costs.

I can say that the signings of bocanegra, johnson, mcbride and dempsey raised the profile of fulham considerably in the states. I'm not sure it moved that many more shirts, but it's also sort of strangely hard for me to say since I'm in one of the more established soccer markets in the states, so most fans have already picked a side to support.

but, as a matter of fact, yes. epl is still the top brand of football in america. far more than mls. there is a conversation on one of my local boards about why it is that a friendly arranged this summer with villa is considered higher profile than one with valencia.

yeah i mainly meant in a financial sense. i can't imagine Everton have shipped too many more shirts due to Howard and Donovan, may well be wrong though. Fulham is a good example but obviously 4 players is quite different.

so do epl matches get more viewers than mls ones? or is it more that there is just a larger following (i.e. via the internet)

yeah i mainly meant in a financial sense. i can't imagine Everton have shipped too many more shirts due to Howard and Donovan, may well be wrong though. Fulham is a good example but obviously 4 players is quite different.

so do epl matches get more viewers than mls ones? or is it more that there is just a larger following (i.e. via the internet)

EPL is huge in the greater Toronto area here in Canada. Lots of brits live here. Every saturday and sunday EPL is on all morning on our major sports stations. I would be curious to see shirt sale numbers here.

portland vs la galaxy are on espn in the uk here btw daaaave on saturday night/sunday morning. don't know if your home games have been shown here before or not but i'll record it and watch it i reckon.

I think our derby against seattle made it over there. I remember some jocks mentioning tuning in to see how kris boyd was doing. but thanks for the tip. I hope you enjoy the atmosphere, even if the play isn't always up to snuff. I put up a thread to track some of the tifo displays and other things of note we've done since being "promoted" to mls in 2011.

by orders of magnitude. portland-seattle was the highest rated regular season mls game in more than a decade and drew a little over 650k viewers iirc. that was with a lead-in of 4m viewers for the spain-italy final. the final day of the 2012 epl season had a collective 1.4m viewers. the cl final had roughly 2m.

Archived