Anyone find when the real players retire you lose interest

So true.

I'm safe in the knowledge that I've got "The next German/Malian Andreas Brehme" at the age of 16, and you've none of you have got him :)

Makes it all worthwhile!

I got the next Alan Shearer and he's only 15. So excited that he came through my Reading youth intake because we have crap intakes every year. :D

im the exact opposite, i much prefer the game ater 6/7 seasons when the real players retire.

Same here - it is too easy to find the good players at the beginning because everyone knows who they are. When the real players go, this is when the youth teams and scouts come into their own.

I make sure that I make my youth facilities the best I can get and invest heavily in scouts and youth players as there is so much more satisfaction signing a 15/16 year old and developing him into a first team regular.

It has got to the stage now where my transfer budjet is £170m but i hardly touch it as my youth team is paying dividends now.

I'd be the same. I start snapping up youngsters at 15/16 years of age. By 18/19 I try to loan them out where I can. The one's that don't go on loan I try to play in my first team from time to time.

In about 5 or 6 seasons I'll probably have 2 or 3 youngsters ready for the first team. Sometimes though a youngster goes because I have someone already in that role, with good cover (x2 players). So it would be hard to play them. This is when I sell those youngsters on for face value + 50% of next transfer fee.

Sometimes then when they reach 26 or 28 a big team buys them for megabucks and I can cash in that way.

Usually though i'll have lots of good youth scouts, and I'll snap up the ones with high star ratings. And fingers crossed one of them makes it.

I usually keep on close eye on the youth and reserve team to see who's playing the best, scoring goals, tckls per game, and all the other stats. If someone is doing well they'll get a shot in the first team.

But as been said earlier, when you know the good players to go for the game only really begins when they retire.

i agree, theres always something wrong with the newgens, weve had regens with jumping, set pieces of 5 or below and not one with the rating of over 10.

SI have never replicated the regens which I think is a much, much better way of doing it. It was also nice knowing youd found a regen of a famous player too.

Developing and training youth is probably my favourite aspect of the game, so I like it when I can avoid using real players. That said, the quality and variety of newgens is pretty bad on the whole, so it gets kind of depressing to constantly see young strikers with 18 Corners and 19 Penalty Taking but no physical stats and 7 Finishing.

Newgens add a whole new dimension to the game IMO, despite their questionable patterns and annoying flaws...

Playing with real-life players gets too easy because you have at least a list of 10 names to cover for every possible need/emergency, at any level... Therefore scouting isn't really needed, and as soon as you find out the "Hidden Gems of the Year" you're basically set for many many seasons...

Instead when most real players are either old or retired things start to get interesting... no more safe bets, no more sure-fire superstars...

P.S. I agree about some names are a bit odd or old-fashioned...

Does anyone else find that as the game progresses, and made-up players replace famous ones, the made-up ones are in general not as good a quality? In my game, after about 20 seasons, although I had pretty much all the best players of their generation, I was struggling to field a great side because there were simply no players of a similar calibre to Messi and Ronaldo around, and very few, if any, first-rate players at all. It seems to be a flaw in the game.

Does anyone else find that as the game progresses, and made-up players replace famous ones, the made-up ones are in general not as good a quality? In my game, after about 20 seasons, although I had pretty much all the best players of their generation, I was struggling to field a great side because there were simply no players of a similar calibre to Messi and Ronaldo around, and very few, if any, first-rate players at all. It seems to be a flaw in the game.

Keep in mind Messi and C.Ronaldo are once-in-a-generation players... (well, twice in this occasion ;))

Anyway I do agree to an extent, but because many real-life players are too well-rounded, while newgens follow rather unusual, and sometimes downright flawed, patterns.

You'll find plenty of potentially great players with at least one fatal weakness... weaknesses you won't ever correct, no matter how hard you'll try...

Generally speaking, there seem to be an issue with lazy/erratic players... Low workrate, low teamwork, low concentration... and often awful personality.

Not to mention players with attributes totally not suited to their role...

Maybe you aren't looking hard enough, as I have a number of players in my squad who are amazing, I would say they are as good as Ronaldo without looking at their CA/PA.

I started managing in the lower leagues of Sweden in my current game. It took until ending up in Spain 6 seasons later of me signing a player I'd actually heard of (Alex Smithies), and another couple of seasons until I signed someone most people had heard of (a 33 year old Wesley Sneijder). So for me, real players retiring doesn't make much of a difference.

I tend to find quite a few U18 players who turn out to be world beater regens - I also end up signing my fair share of top potentials who turn out rubbish - it is trial an error and I rely on excellent scouts and my own instinct

I like going further and further into the game, building up most history (not just for myself) and seeing things change from overfamiliar real life, I guess newgens figure into it a bit as I tend to find them more interesting for some reason. There's many a legendary gen I've had over the year but rarely has a real player (Mandanda for one, and I'm struggling to name anyone else off the top of my head) been so beloved. I do play more with newgens in the past few years but not to that extent, maybe my preference for youth so I pick up more of them earlier may factor into that. Plus the past 2 years I've really had to wait to start doing well (though starting new saves later I'm fine so it's not the AI rubbish teambuilding thing) for no reason I can fathom so there might also be that it takes that long to have a side or players I'm fond of, given I've focussed on a year long save for the past few years so wouldn't have too much experience of any players beyond the rubbish early seasons on a version.

im the exact opposite, i much prefer the game ater 6/7 seasons when the real players retire.

This. Game gets better after a few seasons.

I like training newgen youth players to full blown superstars.

I'm the opposite. I much prefer the game when all the real players have retired. Scouting for newgens and bringing them up is far more satisfying that poaching the same old players everyone has heard of.

I def have to agree there. I feel that, only once the usual suspects have retired, do you really get tested in the game. Much more challenging and makes for interesting play.

I change my view on the game once the real players start retiring or I sell them when they get old. I like making the best team out of what i've been given, then upgrade where possible and bring through as many U18s as possible.

I like seeing so many of my HG players in my squad, the bank balance is immense because you buy them for £500k and sell for £25m 5yrs later, and when I get to be England manager (and club manager at the same time) I like seeing the journalists criticising me for picking so many of my own players. If it was reality they'd totally understand why and think it's a good thing. Probably.

Archived