The npower championship thread 2011/12

Powlay

For the same reason Kevin Davies is a moron' date=' never seen anything I like in him tbh. Seems a wind up merchant, typical tall strong guy, especially when you played at FP. Haven't seen vast amounts obviously, but a story where his family come to Southampton and start a fight with Southampton fans tells me all I need to know.[/quote']

Without trying to go all MLG on you I'm not sure that his family did start a fight with Southampton fans actually. Having not been there (like you I presume) I'm not really in a position to say who started what. That said, this article pretty much states how Rickie himself wasn't involved and therefore I'm not sure what that incident has to do with him.

http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/news/9440499.Mass_brawl_at_Rickie_Lambert_s_local_pub/

That aside, I'd say he's far from a wind up merchant. Seems like a genuine guy to me. Typical tall strong guy in the sense that he bullies and dominates defenders but with my bias eyes I'd say he's pretty mellow compared to some others in this league. Unlike someone like Holt or Henderson he's rarely running around looking to wind people up. He dominates and bullies defenders because he's technically and physically the best striker in this league.

why ?

Just think the fact that he's got the goals behind him will edge him over Whittingham. Haven't seen enough of your lad to be able to judge or seen the previous winners to back this claim up but players with goals normally win this kind of thing don't they?

• Replies 12.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

West Ham's Ravel Morrison has been fined 7k and warned about his future conduct, following his homophobic comments on twitter.

It didn't take him long to get into his first bit of trouble, since joining his new club.

From the FA-

West Ham United midfielder Ravel Morrison has been fined £7,000 and warned about his future behaviour following his homophobic remark on Twitter.

The player accepted the charge last week, and has now been fined by the FA for, "using abusive and/or insulting words including a reference to a person’s sexual orientation"

The 19-year-old Morrison moved from Manchester United to Championship leaders West Ham for £650,000 on transfer-deadline day last month but he has yet to appear for his new side.

His punishment for a homophobic comment is the third similar case this year.

In January, former Everton and Manchester City defender Michael Ball was fined £6,000 for calling Coronation Street star Antony Cotton a 'f***** q****'

While Oxford United fired striker Lee Steele for a homophobic Tweet about gay rugby star Gareth Thomas.

From Sky Sports-

" West Ham midfielder Ravel Morrison has been fined £7,000 by the Football Association for using a gay slur on Twitter. The teenager posted the tweet shortly after joining West Ham from Manchester United last month."

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11685/7538622/Morrison-fined-over-slur

Sky Sports being more blunt. :D

Unbelievable! Portsmouth name 3 subs on Saturday and beg for sympathy, yet loan out two 19 year olds today....

http://www.portsmouthfc.co.uk/LatestNews/news/Blues-Boys-Go-On-Loan-3149.aspx

And they are asking the Football League to ignore the transfer embargo and to let them bring in more loan players to help with their relegation fight.

To the Southern League....if it were League 1 or League 2 then fine but christ, if I got fit I could play that level and I am ****

To the Southern League....if it were League 1 or League 2 then fine but christ, if I got fit I could play that level and I am ****

The quality of the players is irrelevant (Pompey aren't in a position to be picky), they are both 19 years old and Pompey are deliberately not putting them on the bench in order to get the Football League to let you loan some more Premier League players.

Against Leeds last week we had 3 lads from the Academy on the bench. :(

Heck 17 year old Jordan Willis who was released by the fantastic Birmingham academy :rolleyes: last season has actually made about 4 appearances this season due to a lack of players.

So yeah I'm with MLG on this one.

The quality of the players is irrelevant (Pompey aren't in a position to be picky), they are both 19 years old and Pompey are deliberately not putting them on the bench in order to get the Football League to let you loan some more Premier League players.

I think it would be grossly unfair on the teams that had to play us with a Professional football side, and then teams that have still to play us have to play people that can barely play pub football. Very unfair.

I think it would be grossly unfair on the teams that had to play us with a Professional football side' date=' and then teams that have still to play us have to play people that can barely play pub football. Very unfair.[/quote']

That makes no sense.

How is it fair on your relegation rivals that you can improve your squad whilst in administration (every other club has a transfer embargo when in admin) when you have players already at the club that you refuse to use/loan out so you don't have to use them?

That makes no sense.

How is it fair on your relegation rivals that you can improve your squad whilst in administration when you have players already at the club that you refuse to use/loan out so you don't have to use them?

Well it wouldn't if you look at it from your perspective ffs. But a weaker team means easier for the teams to pick up points against us, harsh on teams that need those teams to drop points to get in the Playoffs etc. Anyway it's an irrelevant argument because we have 20 first team players so cannot sign any more.

Well it wouldn't if you look at it from your perspective ffs. But a weaker team means easier for the teams to pick up points against us' date=' harsh on teams that need those teams to drop points to get in the Playoffs etc.[/quote']

It is an illogical argument. Put yourself in the position of Millwall, Doncaster, Bristol City, Coventry, Forest, Doncaster etc, would you want Pompey to ignore a transfer embargo and loan out 19 year olds to non league only to replace them with Premier League loanees?

It is an illogical argument. Put yourself in the position of Millwall, Doncaster, Bristol City, Coventry, Forest, Doncaster etc, would you want Pompey to ignore a transfer embargo and loan out 19 year olds to non league only to replace them with Premier League loanees?

I guessing the part where I say "Well it wouldn't if you look at it from your perspective" you completely ignored.

for example. West Ham, Cardiff and Blackpool would want us to have a competitive team so we can get points off teams like Middlesbrough, Southampton and Reading etc. How unfair on Blackpool that they had to play a strong Pompey team, but Southampton get to play a team with Sunday League players?

I guessing the part where I say "Well it wouldn't if you look at it from your perspective" you completely ignored.

for example. West Ham' date=' Cardiff and Blackpool would want us to have a competitive team so we can get points off teams like Middlesbrough, Southampton and Reading etc. How unfair on Blackpool that they had to play a strong Pompey team, but Southampton get to play a team with Sunday League players?[/quote']

Coventry and other sides have had to use youth players in the squads a lot this season, why should you be any different?

Hence me asking you to look at it from relegation rivals perspectives. If I were to take off my Saints specs and you take off your Pompey specs and let us both pretend to be Nottingham Forest or Coventry fans' date=' how would you feel then?

If for example. West Ham, Cardiff and Blackpool would want us to have a competitive team so we can get points off teams like Middlesbrough, Southampton and Reading etc. How unfair on Blackpool that they had to play a strong Pompey team, but Southampton get to play a team with Sunday League players?

You still don't get it do you? That is completely irrelevant to whether Pompey should be able to sign players despite a transfer embargo.

Is it fair for the 1-1 draw with Saints at Fratton Park in December Portsmouth had a squad they couldn't afford? Pompey have had a squad they couldn't afford for 31 games of the 2011/12 season, they shouldn't be allowed to improve their chances of staying up in the remaining 15 games at the cost of a team that has paid their bills being relegated.

great win for us last night, I was stuck in a Travelodge with barely any network on my phone, relying on updates on 5 Live for the score. I almost crapped myself when they said 'there's been a goal at millwall' with 5 mins to go. looking like 6 from 8, maybe 9 at the top? huge game on Sat, would be fantastic if we could get 20k+ but I'm sure we won't.

Surely all of MLGs irrational hatred of us should be directed at the FL for not placing us under transfer embargo and the total lack of clarification as to why this is the case.

I'm sure it has to do with some dodgy rule about number of professional players at a club and we were under the minimum, don't really care what happens and don't care if we strengthen or not.

Hence me asking you to look at it from relegation rivals perspectives. If I were to take off my Saints specs and you take off your Pompey specs and let us both pretend to be Nottingham Forest or Coventry fans, how would you feel then?

You still don't get it do you? That is completely irrelevant to whether Pompey should be able to sign players despite a transfer embargo.

Is it fair for the 1-1 draw with Saints at Fratton Park in December Portsmouth had a squad they couldn't afford? Pompey have had a squad they couldn't afford for 31 games of the 2011/12 season, they shouldn't be allowed to improve their chances of staying up in the remaining 15 games at the cost of a team that has paid their bills being relegated.

Jesus. I've already said my perspective is on the other end of the table, ofc it's going to be seen as unfair on Forest and Coventry ffs.

The team Saints played in December was a professional bunch of footballers, your advocating the use of football players that are only good enough for Level 7. The circumstances of this Administration aren't one of overspending, it's an owner that fooled the FL and us into getting rid of the restrictions that meant we would decrease the wage budget year on year. The whole point of the restrictions was to manage the wage budget. If someone waves a bit of paper, and that's enough to ignore a very important restriction then wtf are we supposed to do?

I get your point, but I see what Appleton etc, are trying to argue in terms of a competitive team and the affects on all the clubs in this league. If Forest, Coventry and Doncaster are relegated because we loaned a few players, they can hardly sit there and go "oh if Pompey hadn't got George Thorne and another average Championship player we wouldn't of gone down" Their down there because they've been **** all season. Pinning your hopes on a club being in Administration to save you from being relegated is a pretty awful strategy.

• SI Staff
Championship player of the season 3 man shortlist has been announced

Rickie Lambert

Peter Whittingham

Adam Lallana

Pretty sure somebody predicted that exact shortlist earlier on in the thread, I cba to find the post though.

Curtis Davies is the best player in this division by a considerable margin. But defenders do not get recognised in this type of award.

OMG Pompey loan out another player but are still moaning to the FA about letting them get new players in /MLG

Husseklep gone on loan to Birmingham

We should be allowed another player to replace him now on loan. Good times, good stuff. :cool:

Not too fussed about him tbh, Very inconsistent, scored some brilliant goals but cost us the game a number of times, most recently at Blackpool. Cotterill seemed to think he was a left winger, which he isn't. Appleton then put him behind the striker and he excelled there, which is naturally his best position. However, in a team where we looked for individuals to get the job done, he was relied on a lot. For Brum he'll be around better quality players, and hopefully that will get the best out of him.

Brum go up automatically, Erik to score the decider and MLG to be crying into his arms \o/

Who would you have in those top 5? Ive obviously only really seen people play this year (so most of them only a few times) but if theres 5 centre backs better than Tomkins I'm amazed they arent playing at a higher level.

Davies (obviously) Rhys Williams & Matthew Bates, Faye......

God yeah i will have to agree, how poor are the defenders in the division!

The first three coud all be in the PL next season, Bates out of contract, Williams signed a new deal that will allow him to leave for a set price, and Davies.

We should be allowed another player to replace him now on loan. Good times' date=' good stuff. :cool:

[/quote']

No you shouldnt. Take your head out of the sand and shake it off.

Stop being pathetic and only concentrating on the idiot whom i pointed out would be an idiot in the optening post :mad:

When sides go into admit they are not allowed to bring players in, Darlington can only bring in players aged below 19 and they are not allowed to have first team experience! They have to fill their bench with young kids who have ZERO experience and will end up playing sunday league football.

Same with other sides when they have gone into admin, it does smach of arrogance that pompy have never been bothered to fill the bench with yoiung kids, they would rather have 4 players on there than 7 last season or 5 this season. The bonuses for sticking a kid on the bench will be minimal compared to a senior player. Yes they may not be good enough that doesnt matter.

Pompy should not be allowed to replace anyone they loan out except maybe and i mean this is opinion rather than any rule, maybe if you need a back up GK'er and then you get to loan one in under emergency loan rules like Darlo have (they needed a first choice GK)

tbh though Powlay, this isn't the Conference. The same rules don't apply. What we are effectively doing is unethical but not against the rules. If we fill the bench with Kids they are treated as first team players, if we don't then they don't count. It's our choice whether we put them on the bench or not. The rule is a club should have 20 first team players to be competitive. It might be frustrating for clubs, MLG and players but making the rules work for you is a fact of life.

Although I'm not 100% sure we'll get a replacement for Erik, we do have Benjani (pretty much a Sunday League player now) so we'll be weakened. :(

tbf, I just enjoy replying to MLG, fills up my day nicely.

Have just seen this though,

"The Football League will not let us bring any players in and they don't want us to have a competitive advantage when we still owe clubs money.

"If we have less than 14 fit players then they will allow us to bring someone in."

I think we have enough without Huseklepp, but Joel Ward was playing whilst injured at Barnsley, so we'd be close.

Have just seen this though' date='

I think we have enough without Huseklepp, but Joel Ward was playing whilst injured at Barnsley, so we'd be close.[/quote']

Will they count your U18s as 'fit players', as under the grand scheme of things, if they're contracted, they're a player.

Archived