The npower championship thread 2011/12

Powlay

• Replies 12.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Don't know if it's been mentioned but BBC website reckons McDermott is being targeted be Wolves... What do Reading fans think of that?

It hasn't been discussed here, but we have discussed it here: http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/140145-The-Jimmy-K%C3%A9b%C3%A9-thread-socks-thoroughly-pulled-up?p=7597057&viewfull=1#post7597057

Basically, we'd be pretty gutted if he goes because he's reinvented us three times.

Having said that, I don't think he'd leave for Wolves. We can offer him similar money and he was around to see the reaction when Pards abandoned us.

I think you're being naive if you think he wouldn't leave you for Wolves.

I think it is possible but fairly unlikely. I know about managers leaving one club for another (McGhee and Pardew both abandoned us, McGhee for Wolves :D, and we got Rodgers in similar circumstances) but I think McDermott wouldn't be thinking straight if he left us for Wolves. He's been with us for 10 years, we have the ability to pay him more than Wolves do, and there's a chance us and Wolves will swap divisions. He'd be more respected for taking us up than keeping Wolves up. His job with us is more secure.

It would be interesting to see how he would cope outside of Reading Football club.

He's done well at Reading and deserves credit, but he took charge of a very well run club (which he has been with since 2000 I think) with an excellent scouting network and a very capable squad.

But having said that, Brendan Rodgers struggled with the same Reading squad that McDermott took over.

I think it is possible but fairly unlikely. I know about managers leaving one club for another (McGhee and Pardew both abandoned us, McGhee for Wolves :D, and we got Rodgers in similar circumstances) but I think McDermott wouldn't be thinking straight if he left us for Wolves. He's been with us for 10 years, we have the ability to pay him more than Wolves do, and there's a chance us and Wolves will swap divisions. He'd be more respected for taking us up than keeping Wolves up. His job with us is more secure.

McGhee left you for us, he then left us for Wolves.

Yes, there's a chance you'll swap divisions, but it's just that: a chance. Wolves are a Premier League job, Reading is a Championship job, nearly every manager would take the Premier League job over the Championship job, even if the PL job was just keeping them in the division and the Championship one was trying to get them up, respect would only be from fans and I doubt it would matter to anyone. Don't think he'll stay simply because there's a small chance you'll be swapping divisions, don't think anyone would. Wolves is still the more attractive job atm. I'd take the Wolves job over the Reading job 10 times out of 10 with them both in their current situation, nearly everyone would.

Haha thanks. It used to be decent but it's really slid downhill fast. Don't think we've had anything yet from the academy games at the weekend which is poor.

Kinda sad when you start to feel certain people taking a dislike towards you for outperforming them in what is their work...

I know that feeling. I was asked to do a couple of things mainly because id forced the clubs hand.

All we have had is a scoreline from the weekend, i did a match report that was posted on fan sites, Forest had a report up yesterday. Nothing still on the official site and nothing will go up. Just score and scorer.

It would be interesting to see how he would cope outside of Reading Football club.

He's done well at Reading and deserves credit, but he took charge of a very well run club (which he has been with since 2000 I think) with an excellent scouting network and a very capable squad.

But having said that, Brendan Rodgers struggled with the same Reading squad that McDermott took over.

I think you make a valid point. However, it might be worth noting that much of the scouting network is down to McDermott himself. Aside from the players Coppell brought in from Brentford and Brighton (Ingimarsson, Brooker (:lol:), Stephen Hunt) he was responsible for most of the players we bought in under Coppell and some of Pardew's reign.

Rodgers struggled primarily because he tried to force his system on the club, and also because he was a rubbish man manager. Contrastingly, McDermott has adapted the system three times to fit around our players. Firstly, beautiful football focused on Sigurdsson, then counter attacking exploiting the pace of Long and Kebe, and now defensive football that grinds out 1-0 wins. I think he could find a winning system for someone like Wolves but it might not come soon enough to keep them up.

McGhee left you for us, he then left us for Wolves.

Yes, there's a chance you'll swap divisions, but it's just that: a chance. Wolves are a Premier League job, Reading is a Championship job, nearly every manager would take the Premier League job over the Championship job, even if the PL job was just keeping them in the division and the Championship one was trying to get them up, respect would only be from fans and I doubt it would matter to anyone. Don't think he'll stay simply because there's a small chance you'll be swapping divisions, don't think anyone would. Wolves is still the more attractive job atm. I'd take the Wolves job over the Reading job 10 times out of 10 with them both in their current situation, nearly everyone would.

My mistake, I was quite young at the time.

I agree with you for the most part, but like I say, he's got interests in the club whereas you don't. He was responsible for bringing in half the squad when he was Chief Scout, and he already has a strong relationship with the squad, fans, other staff members and most importantly both our owners. He knows he just has to keep us clear of relegation to stay in the job, whereas he might lose his job if Wolves get relegated.

Besides, didn't Morgan say he wanted a manager with Premier League experience? The closest McDermott has to that is winning the reserve league.

I know what you're saying, but it could also turn out that Reading could lose out on promotion this season then turn to pot next season and he could get sacked then. Look at Lee Clark, a couple of months ago he ruled out going to us, then got sacked by Huddersfield two or three months later. This could be the only chance McDermott gets to manage PL football and I think there's a very high chance he wouldn't turn down that opportunity.

Just gonna throw this out there and see what comes back

FACTS you might find of interest Last published accounts for SFC £9m pre tax loss (of which only -£1.1m was down to player trading) hmmm living beyond their means then.....how naughty

They owe £7m to creditors to be repaid this ...year,

Additional £6m owed over 5 years A further £8.4m Loan to be repaid within 5 years PLUS £20.4m loan owed in 5 years TOTAL DEBT of £42m+ sound familiar.........

This at a club spending £7m more than it is earning Oh well glad to see they are only spending what they earn I mean we don't want clubs who overspend in our league now do we, some would class that as cheating and state that all their trophies won in that time should be taken away, still no problem for them there then.....

Exactly the same as Gaydamak, Liebherr cleared the initial debt but the rest of the monies has been lent in loans No difference to PFC Also, SFC do not own the ground, or the training facilities Now wonder who that sounds like.......

And each year the debt gets larger Makes our £46m seem reasonable, at least much of ours will be cleared whatever happens Thought that would make you all laugh........ ALL this information is available off of their published accounts from Companies House, recommend it, a thoroughly good read

i've never seen such a disgraceful first half performance than ours today. our goal was so undeserved i wish we hadnt scored it.

the second half was unbelieveable. we made middlesboro look like children. but like always were unable to score. useless.

who's middleboroughs number 17? i wouldnt mind kicking the **** up in the air a few times.

Didnt go unfortunately but it sounded fantastic on the radio, the fans were great (but I think they were helped out by being right next to the commentary box). Green was bound to get sent off/injured at some point and its not a real issue, the reason we dont have an out and out keeper on the bench is because Lansbury is comfortable in goal. Nice to see Maynard and RVT get goals.

Its a shame that Cardiff away gets in the middle of a nice looking run for us, home games against Palace, Watford and Doncaster in our next 4.

It is ill-informed rubbish (as I'm sure you know).

The figures are probably true (he's just plucked them from the accounts), but you have to wade through the wrong stuff, like the Stadium and Training Ground. I was going to wait to get the latest figures which are out soon. I'm not just going to throw the £1 around to get my hands on the accounts :cool:

Oh and Lallana will probably win the award. Really like seeing him play, technically gifted especially in this division. Would of probably left Saints had they not been paying him £25k a week and pouring money into getting promoted.

Why is he a moron?

For the same reason Kevin Davies is a moron, never seen anything I like in him tbh. Seems a wind up merchant, typical tall strong guy, especially when you played at FP. Haven't seen vast amounts obviously, but a story where his family come to Southampton and start a fight with Southampton fans tells me all I need to know.

Didnt go unfortunately but it sounded fantastic on the radio, the fans were great (but I think they were helped out by being right next to the commentary box). Green was bound to get sent off/injured at some point and its not a real issue, the reason we dont have an out and out keeper on the bench is because Lansbury is comfortable in goal. Nice to see Maynard and RVT get goals.

Its a shame that Cardiff away gets in the middle of a nice looking run for us, home games against Palace, Watford and Doncaster in our next 4.

I heard the end of that game on Radio Lancashire, the West Ham fans were loud.. when the 4th goal went in, I thought it was Blackpool who had scored.

Apparently your pressing and closing down last night was unbelievable.. even with 10 men, you worked ever so hard as a unit.

According to the Radio Lancashire pundits, they think it's West Ham all the way to win the League, and Southampton who are also a very strong team to go up automatically. Then it's everybody else in a fight for the play offs, and Blackpool are well and truly in a fight to stay in the play offs after last night's defeat etc.

Looking at the table maybe, but there is still a long way to go, and I wouldn't write off Birmingham.

Also, I don't think Lansbury had a single save to make, the commentators said it's really disappointing that Blackpool have not been able to test Lansbury. He did catch a ball that was swung in, to massive cheers from the West Ham fans.

i just wish someone else was there to back me up. if tanyone can provide me with evidence that we made more than 3 consecutive passes in the first half i'll shove a melton mowbray (see what i did there?) up my jacksie

A Millwall fan has posted a thread on a Burnley forum' date=' "Burnley to get there biggest ever home win on saturday" :D

Having a rant, saying all we need to do is get a shot on target, and with your keeper it's a goal. :/

I doubt we will get our biggest ever home win, our home form is not the greatest this season (we are better away from home)

Millwall look like a big team, who [i']usually[/i] work hard, and we struggle against those sort of teams. So I reckon it will be a scrappy 1-1 draw.

A Millwall fan has posted a thread on a Burnley forum, "Burnley to get there biggest ever home win on saturday" :D

Having a rant, saying all we need to do is get a shot on target, and with your keeper it's a goal. :/

I doubt we will get our biggest ever home win, our home form is not the greatest this season (we are better away from home)

Millwall look like a big team, who usually work hard, and we struggle against those sort of teams. So I reckon it will be a scrappy 1-1 draw.

we used to be a team that worked hard and closed people down and got stuck in but this season Kenny Jackett has been going through a 'Tactical Revolution' which sees us as a more fluid passing counter attacking side, in short, to play like arsenal or barcelona. unfortunately we don't quite have the players to live up to that which then has made the manager try and fit square pegs in round holes. players completely out of position, but considered worthy selections because they can pass it a little bit better than the player who should be in the side. All it takes is to close us down and rush us and we lose the ball because the players aren't capable of the quick passing and movement. we're trying to play it out of defence ffs but we're so slow moving forward the defenders of the opposition are practically midfielders and close down the space and we cant break forward!

In fairness it's been getting better over recent weeks and works quite well away from home. but who plays sit-back counter attacking football at home? as soon as we changed to 4-4-2 at half time against boro and got stuck in closing down. i dont think they were in our half until they scored the 3rd.

and yep our keepers are having a shocker this year. can't catch, can't hold the ball and get beat from distance/free-kicks easily. have a shot and have someone ready for the rebound and you'll win.

and yep our keepers are having a shocker this year. can't catch' date=' can't hold the ball and get beat from distance/free-kicks easily. have a shot and have someone ready for the rebound and you'll win.[/quote']

Doesn't sound too dissimilar to Lee Grant. I'm amazed that we've kept as many clean sheets as we have this season. He really does worry me sometimes, palming the ball directly into the path of opposition forwards and whatnot.

Doesn't sound too dissimilar to Lee Grant. I'm amazed that we've kept as many clean sheets as we have this season. He really does worry me sometimes, palming the ball directly into the path of opposition forwards and whatnot.

I wouldn't worry as we're completely incapable of getting a decent enough shot/cross in for him to make a mistake with

we used to be a team that worked hard and closed people down and got stuck in but this season Kenny Jackett has been going through a 'Tactical Revolution' which sees us as a more fluid passing counter attacking side' date=' in short, to play like arsenal or barcelona. unfortunately we don't quite have the players to live up to that which then has made the manager try and fit square pegs in round holes. players completely out of position, but considered worthy selections because they can pass it a little bit better than the player who should be in the side. All it takes is to close us down and rush us and we lose the ball because the players aren't capable of the quick passing and movement. we're trying to play it out of defence ffs but we're so slow moving forward the defenders of the opposition are practically midfielders and close down the space and we cant break forward!

In fairness it's been getting better over recent weeks and works quite well away from home. but who plays sit-back counter attacking football at home? as soon as we changed to 4-4-2 at half time against boro and got stuck in closing down. i dont think they were in our half until they scored the 3rd.

[/quote']

Ah I never knew he was trying to change his philosophy, I remember in League One/ your first season in the Championship.. you were a well organised hard working side, who could more than look after yourselves, that were very hard to beat, and gave a few teams a spanking too.

I'd feel more relaxed if you do come to pass/counter. I think every team who as come and tried to play football (trying to outpass us on the floor, open, attacking games) we usually come out on top.

It's when teams come, just come to close down, work hard, don't get many forward, not too bothered about being in an open game, that we struggle..

Although we have missed somebody like Paterson in these games in the past this season, with him in the squad, he can stretche defences and hassle them, constantly keeping them on their toes... opening up space up for others.

I've never been convinced by Grant, he worries me too. His handling of crosses and shots from distance is so bad, he always punches/ pushes it straight out into the danger zone like you said. He just doesn't know how to deal with or catch a ball, that's moving with a bit of pace when there's bodies in the box.

I never rated him at Sheff Wed, all be it from highlights, but he looked at fault for alot of their goals, bad positioning, unable to deal with shots from distance etc. Hopefully Laws will get another job, and take him off our wage bill. :D

I can't remember us ever having a very good Keeper, Jensen was immense during our promotion season. (but before then he had not always been the best)

Apparently we are linked with a Summer move for Tom Heaton from Cardiff.

Who's young and English, very much a signing you'd expect from Howe, so there could be some truth to it.

http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/303461/Burnley-eye-summer-move-for-Tom-Heaton

Ah I never knew he was trying to change his philosophy, I remember in League One/ your first season in the Championship.. you were a well organised hard working side, who could more than look after yourselves, that were very hard to beat, and gave a few teams a spanking too.

I'd feel more relaxed if you do come to pass/counter. I think every team who as come and tried to play football (trying to outpass us on the floor, open, attacking games) we usually come out on top.

It's when teams come, just come to close down, work hard, don't get many forward, not too bothered about being in an open game, that we struggle..

Although we have missed somebody like Paterson in these games in the past this season, with him in the squad, he can stretche defences and hassle them, constantly keeping them on their toes... opening up space up for others.

I've never been convinced by Grant, he worries me too. His handling of crosses and shots from distance is so bad, he always punches/ pushes it straight out into the danger zone like you said. He just doesn't know how to deal with or catch a ball, that's moving with a bit of pace when there's bodies in the box.

I never rated him at Sheff Wed, all be it from highlights, but he looked at fault for alot of their goals, bad positioning, unable to deal with shots from distance etc. Hopefully Laws will get another job, and take him off our wage bill. :D

I can't remember us ever have a very good Keeper, Jensen was immense during our promotion season. (but before then he had not always been the best)

Apparently we are linked with a Summer move for Tom Heaton from Cardiff.

Who's young and English, very much a signing Howe would make, so there could be some truth to it.

http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/303461/Burnley-eye-summer-move-for-Tom-Heaton

in 2004 when we beat you in the cup on our way to the final Jensen was absolutely fantastic. it could have been 6-0 if it wasn't for him. always liked him since then

Unbelievable! Portsmouth name 3 subs on Saturday and beg for sympathy, yet loan out two 19 year olds today....

http://www.portsmouthfc.co.uk/LatestNews/news/Blues-Boys-Go-On-Loan-3149.aspx

And they are asking the Football League to ignore the transfer embargo and to let them bring in more loan players to help with their relegation fight.

I heard the end of that game on Radio Lancashire, the West Ham fans were loud.. when the 4th goal went in, I thought it was Blackpool who had scored.

Apparently your pressing and closing down last night was unbelievable.. even with 10 men, you worked ever so hard as a unit.

According to the Radio Lancashire pundits, they think it's West Ham all the way to win the League, and Southampton who are also a very strong team to go up automatically. Then it's everybody else in a fight for the play offs, and Blackpool are well and truly in a fight to stay in the play offs after last night's defeat etc.

Looking at the table maybe, but there is still a long way to go, and I wouldn't write off Birmingham.

Also, I don't think Lansbury had a single save to make, the commentators said it's really disappointing that Blackpool have not been able to test Lansbury. He did catch a ball that was swung in, to massive cheers from the West Ham fans.

West Ham were better then us in every department, even with 10 men they looked more of an attacking threat then us. Didn't help that the majority of our play was spent in our half, passing it between Midfield and Fullbacks, Lua Lua kept having to drop into our half to pick the ball up off someone due to lack of service he was getting.

I think Holloway should of kept the same team that started the game in the second half and see if they could get a bit of momentum going from the goal just before half time, but he brought on Bednar (who hasn't done anything since his debut) and Dicko. Bednar got injured when Green took him out and Dicko didn't bring anything.

Then when they went down to 10 men and Lansbury in net, Evatt (Centre Back) went and played Left Wing and we kept hoofing it up to him for the rest of the match and he won a total of about 2 headers against Tomkins. Instead of working the ball in and around the box we just shot for 40 yards(not one on target) or hoofed it to Evatt.

Oh well! :)

in 2004 when we beat you in the cup on our way to the final Jensen was absolutely fantastic. it could have been 6-0 if it wasn't for him. always liked him since then

Oh yeah.

He had some good moments, but some really bad moments in his first few seasons.

Rotherham away that same season, when we were in a relegation fight he cost us 2 goals, in a 3-0 hammering, by running way out off his line, when there was a defender marking the attacker, Jensen would then get skinned, and it was tapped into an empty goal.

He did the same in other games that season, like Crystal Palace at home who beat us with 9 men.. but I suppose it didn't help having a denfence including David May, Lee Roche infront of him. :D

After Stan Ternent kept us up that year, he said it was the greatest achievement in his entire managment career, keeping that Burnley team up! lol.

Jensen always raised his game when a new keeper was brought in and it looked like it was over for him, Danny Coyne, Gabor Kiraly etc. He always played well, and stopped the other keeper getting back in the team.

Jensen is really good with one on ones, and reflexes.. but he doesn't communicate enough with his defence or not commanding enough, and he's also not the best at dealing with crosses. But the Jensen now, is much much better, than the Jensen we first signed from West Brom back in 2003..

The beast (Jensen) is loved at Burnley though, he's become like part of the furniture, and I'm sure many will be gutted when he leaves after all his years with us.

I wouldn't mind seeing Jensen in the squad now.

Archived