The npower championship thread 2011/12

Powlay

• Replies 12.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Reading tonight, lets keep up our good away form.

Lets hope that it is nothing like the game at Turf Moor earlier this season, a really woeful match that neither side deserved to win.. but Reading stole a stoppage time winner.

Paterson could return to the squad tonight too, lets hope he can score another goal like this :cool:

[video=youtube;xd0nkNQbZnI]

I expect there to be alot less Burnley fans than normal there tonight, but lets hope we can get a similar result.

He was a loveable guy, he never once moaned here.

He signed a new one year deal after we were relegated, unlike Robbie Blake who walked away on a free. After both were told they would get games here still.

Then he was always left on the bench under Laws in the Championship, I'd have been pee'd off if I was Thompson, I bet he wish he had done what Blake did and walked away, instead of wasting a season on the bench.

He was the missing peice to our promotion season, after a very poor start (no win in the first 5, 4 defeats and a 0-0 draw against 9 men Crystal Palace) we brought him in before the end of the transfer window, and we kicked on from there. Beast, Carlisle, Thommo, Eagles, Blake, Pato, Alexander, Caldwell, Elliott.. all had a fantastic season.

It was a shame he was cup tied for the League Cup run to the Semi Finals, but we had the young Jay Rodriguez back then, to score some giant killing goals from the bench. :cool:

Perfectly happy to watch four minutes of him humming the imperial march from Star Wars. :D

Haaa, 'where is the stadium?Hurry up Stadium..' to the Star Wars theme.

I've never seen that before, he was funny in some of his interviews.

I remember him laughing mid sentence during the Sky interview, after that win over Reading.

thompson is one of my favourite ever cardiff players

he also done this

:D what a legend!

Oh no.

http://www.clarets-mad.co.uk/news/tmnw/tonights_game_has_a_deadman_729015/index.shtml

The card man of English football, Darren Deadman, will referee tonight's game against Reading at the Madejski Stadium.

I'm not sure where you start with this referee but, not for the first time, I was distraught to see his name against a Burnley fixture.

He may well have a good game tonight, and I sincerely hope he does. He refereed us at Hull last season and didn't have that bad a game, but this referee beats all others hands down when it comes to dishing out cards.

His statistics this season are absolutely incredible. He's refereed 34 games and there have been, wait for it, a grand total of 163 cards of which 152 were yellow and 11 of them red.

The suggestions are the away team will suffer most. Of those yellow cards, 61 have gone the way of the home team and 91 to away team players. The red cards are move even with six home players sent off and five away players.

His past Burnley games show two absolutely shocking performances, both of which, in my view, his actions went a long way towards deciding the result.

The first was at Ipswich when he wrongly sent off Wayne Thomas after giving Ipswich a ridiculous penalty. That was the day the Ipswich fans were suggesting that Michael Ricketts was overweight. The Burnley striker scored and rubbed his stomach in response. Yes, out came Deadman's yellow card.

At Wolves in the promotion season he was simply appalling and he wasn't much better at Cardiff in this season's Carling Cup defeat as he somehow conjured up six yellow cards.

Yes, he might have a decent game tonight; I sincerely hope he does, but I'm worried at the man who will referee our game tonight.

The assistant referees tonight are Darren Blunden (Kent) and Oleksandr Saliy (Middlesex). The fourth official is Football League referee Carl Berry (Surrey).

Might be worth sticking a cheeky bet on a red card.

He's a **** ref.

Disallowed our goal on Tuesday when the ball clearly hit a defender (Ref ruled out for going straight in from the throw in). Gives yellows out needlessly' date=' which I didn't even need to say as the stats say that.[/quote']

He is indeed!

Gutted that we have this card waving idiot incharge tonight, I don't think we have many cards this season (we are anything but dirty, alot of young 'footballing' type players) but no doubt we will get a few cards tonight, just like the 6 he gave to us in the League Cup game this season.

I've also read that he's in line for a promotion (Deadman) which if it's true, I find totally baffling..

Still favourite for promotion I understand. His coach (a recent Premier League referee) is really pushing him although I hear other coaches are less enamoured.

We don't have any real stand-out candidates for promotion at the moment. We have several safe pairs of hands who are firmly established in the Football League but those who look like potential high flyers are a little too inexperienced. Given three of our Premier League referees will be over fifty next season (I think) then succession planning is a real big issue for referee managers.

I'll tell you now fox40, if this man is up for anything like a promotion then refereeing in this country has some very serious problems, and I mean serious.

I hope those who are less enamoured win the day because there should be serious questions being asked about Deadman being able to referee at any level of football.

http://boards.footymad.net/forum.php?tno=104&fid=297&sty=2&act=1&mid=2115309104

dunno what you're talking about, the suspected two footed lunge was luke chambers (way too far away for me to see to give a proper opinion on), the "last man" challenge was in the centre circle, that's not a red card in anyone's book

must have been Chambers then, I missed the one on the half way line

Win tonight and we'll move up to 7th on goal difference, 1 point behind Reading.

But Boro, Brum, Hull, and Reading have all played a game less than us.

Must win tonight (even if it is Reading away, hard place to go) but if we want to stay in touch with the play offs, we have to win.

The City boss insists he'll only make a dip into the loan market if a player can improve his Sky Blues squad and boost their hopes of beating the drop.

He said: “I had two strikers due to come in and then was told they weren’t for various reasons.

"I was offered a striker yesterday but he has been injured all season and only played one game, so I don’t fancy getting another club’s player fit because I don’t think that will improve us.

“So I will get my head down and try to get someone else. I’ve got other targets in mind.

“We are always looking to improve the side and if we get them over the line then great, if not I am sure we have got enough character about us to get the wins we need.

“I was reading about Portsmouth only having 15 fit players the other day. That’s a luxury. I’d love to have 15 fit players. We had 13 the other night with three boys on the bench making up the numbers.”

With still no sign of a new loan striker coming in, Thorn admits he’s had to wrap veteran centre-forward Clive Platt up in cotton wool this week as he prepares to get through his third game in eight days.

“We’re looking after Platty because three games in a week is a big ask, so he’s had his feet up in the pool and recharging his batteries, and once he’s fully charged we’ll let him off on Saturday afternoon and then put him back in the pool,” he said.

“Alex Nimely has made a big difference to us and he’s forged a good partnership with Clive."

Midfielder David Bell could be back in the squad if he recovers from the flu virus that forced him to miss Tuesday’s match but Sammy Clingan (groin) and Richard Wood (knee) remain doubtful.

Striker Cody McDonald was back in training yesterday but it is thought to be too soon for him, as it will for left-back Chris Hussey who came 80 minutes in a 1-1 friendly with Kettering on Wednesday night.

So yeah shut up Pompey fans :D;) When he say's boys he means boy's as well, the likes of Cyrus Christie and Jordan Clarke are included in the fit senior players.

Tomorrow really is a MASSIVE game, pretty much a must win for both teams so bound to end in a draw. We're really down to the bare bones as well, will likely see a very rusty Jordan Clarke at LB again (a 19 year old RB who's been out since a pre-season injury). Seriously it's ridiculous though as we've gone from having an excess of defenders to now only having 4, 2 of which are teenagers. Not to add that we have no options up front, it's Nimley and Platt or a youngster.

On the plus side if we win tomorrow and Pompey do get this larger points deduction we'd actually be 3 pts clear of the drop zone :eek:

Win tonight and we'll move up to 7th on goal difference, 1 point behind Reading.

But Boro, Brum, Hull, and Reading have all played a game less than us.

Must win tonight (even if it is Reading away, hard place to go) but if we want to stay in touch with the play offs, we have to win.

Hull and Boro will both have two games in hand on us though.

Portsmouth Football Club have been deducted ten points in accordance with Football League rules and regulations.

This Sporting Sanction has been implemented with immediate effect, following formal confirmation that the club is in administration. Portsmouth have 7 days in which to appeal.

The Football League will now begin dialogue with the administrator aimed at achieving a successful sale of the club and its continuation in league football.

smug1.gif

This clearly code for "Oh.. we should of listened to the FSA on Snoras so we won't punish Pompey properly"

He is indeed!

Gutted that we have this card waving idiot incharge tonight, I don't think we have many cards this season (we are anything but dirty, alot of young 'footballing' type players) but no doubt we will get a few cards tonight, just like the 6 he gave to us in the League Cup game this season.

I've also read that he's in line for a promotion (Deadman) which if it's true, I find totally baffling..

http://boards.footymad.net/forum.php?tno=104&fid=297&sty=2&act=1&mid=2115309104

he got lots of good headlines because he's the ref who didn't book billy sharp when he removed his shirt.

what the papers who concentrate too much on the premiership didn't realise is that it wasn't a heartfelt oversight, but just a continuation of his godawful inconsistency.

sheffield wednesday fans LOATHE him. 1) he gave huddersfield 9 minutes of injury time to equalise in their 4-4 draw at hillsborough earlier this season 2) he gave a last minute penalty to blackpool in their 1-1 draw at bloomfield in the fa cup.

this was before that fa cup tie: http://www.owlstalk.co.uk/forums/index.php?/topic/160048-darren-deadman/

http://nffcblog.com/2011/02/23/deadman-walking/

Bunch of cheats :mad:;)

Still means we're only in the bottom 3 on GD now so that's still a massive improvement.

"They could lose further points at the discretion of the Football League as a result of it happening for the second time in such a short period of time."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/16943651

Like Bournemouth did...

Kevin Bond's side have been handed the points penalty after failing to exit administration via the necessary Company Voluntary Agreement and for being declared insolvent for the second time in as many years.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1042684/Bournemouth-start-League-Two-17-point-deduction.html

and Rotherham...

In a statement, the League said it was imposing the punishment because it was the Millers' second insolvency in recent seasons.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/r/rotherham_utd/7543195.stm

dunno what you're talking about, the suspected two footed lunge was luke chambers (way too far away for me to see to give a proper opinion on), the "last man" challenge was in the centre circle, that's not a red card in anyone's book

Last man challenge wasnt in the centre circle.

by the way, yes, that is the riverside stadium was "so noisy". next time mlg takes the **** out of your attendance figures powlay shoot that one back at him

hahaha i will!

I didnt know you were visiting on Tues, you should have said would have said hello from over the barrier :)

Atmosphere from both sets of fans was terrible wasnt it! If the manager had said that in ear shot of me id have laughed so loud he would stuggle to hear the reporter asking the questions.

hahaha i will!

I didnt know you were visiting on Tues, you should have said would have said hello from over the barrier :)

Atmosphere from both sets of fans was terrible wasnt it! If the manager had said that in ear shot of me id have laughed so loud he would stuggle to hear the reporter asking the questions.

i was staying up north so i didn't have internet from sunday morning onwards, otherwise i would have responded to your shout out. the atmosphere was pretty bad, we only got going when we scored. but even then we're just absolutely terrible and we're sick of it.

The 10 points may have just been automatic on the day of the admin and the Football League need to have a proper meeting arranged to decide if anything else should happen.

There's too much "may" and "could" in your statements, if you believe what you say atleast be clinical about it :(

Anyway, it's good news for now, I still want a written apology from them over allowing CSI to take over. The moronic thing is, you knew he was a crook because it's not hard to do a search on someone in this world these days, and we laughed it off purely because there was trust in the F+P test. Now there's absolutely none, I've got no faith in the FL regulating it's members. They can't do it so we're left with 7 clubs according to our Administrator, in this league, that are spending more on wages than they take in turnover, which is disgusting.

I've always found the riverside to be a very cold stadium, even in the summer.

May have to sit in the home end at Forest tomorrow as we seem to have sold out the away allocation we've been given.

my advice would be to sit brian clough upper and go for block G, H or P. they're likely to be nearly empty tomorrow.

I've always found the riverside to be a very cold stadium, even in the summer.

May have to sit in the home end at Forest tomorrow as we seem to have sold out the away allocation we've been given.

Either Clough stand, or somewhere in T2 of the Trent End around Row Q...

I want him sacked and well I haven't been to a game all season due to work. He's got no idea. My neighbour and alot of the people around him have said that they won't be renewing their season tickets next season, because of the way we're playing. It's the worst they've ever seen us play and well the worst someone's ever told me we've been playing.

Having said, I may be going tomorrow :(.

Archived