The npower championship thread 2011/12

Powlay

What's happened with Mills? I was flicking between the Man Utd/ Leicester game last night.

I remember the commentators on Sky Sports saying, that he had not even travelled with the squad to Derby, and that when somebody tried asking Pearson about Mills in an earlier interview, they got a very blunt/angry response, that he didn't want to talk about him.

They said, that no doubt more will come out over the days, as to what as happened with Mills.

• Replies 12.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He wasn't in the squad because SSL, Wes and Bamba are all better than him and he's rightfully been dropped down to being 4th choice centre-back on merit. Simple as that really.

Sky were making a big thing about him not being in the squad, because they seem to think Mills is amazing and seem to think he should be an automatic starter for some reason.

That said, his attitude has stunk all season and it does seem that if the rumours of him training with the reserves/youth team are true then he's probably crossed NP, who has never had much time for big egos, over something.

Ah ok, I thought something may have gone on with Mills off field, with the way they said Pearson reacated to the question last night. (I didn't see any of the pre-match) but yeah, it's probably Sky making a big deal over nothing.

They did say something about him being down the pecking order last night (the commentators) and about how he must feel being the 4th choice CB at Leicester now, and even before Morgan came in he seemed to be 3rd choice for a while.

i heard pearson was asked about why mills wasnt in the team and he said something like "because i didn't pick him"

Ha, yeah they said it was a very blunt/curt response.. that was probably what he said.

But they also said, I'm sure more will come out over the days, as to why Mills as not even travelled with the squad.

Not especially, they just don't compare to Tomkins, Gorkss, Hobbs or Turner, maybe just below Pearce and Chester.

Three of those four are probably the best players at their clubs and play for clubs with equal or better defensive records than 'boro. Turner is the exception.

Defensive records count for very little and sides with good records dont always have the best defenders.

As for the rest of your opinion, you're welcome to it. Its wrong but you're welcome to it.

sides with good records dont always have the best defenders.

No, but it helps. A lot.

Hull aren't a defensive possession based side like Swansea, there's nothing extraordinarily defensive about them, they have an awful goalkeeper and they play Robert Koren in midfield, but they have an excellent defensive record. You're saying that that is unrelated to the quality of their centre backs?

Reading went from having one of the worst defensive records in the league to keeping more clean sheets than any other club the moment they added Gorkss. Part of that is because we've been playing more defensively, but we've only been playing more defensively because we have the second best defender in the league so we're playing to our strengths. If we'd played like this with Khumalo in the side then we wouldn't be where we are.

Middlesborough aren't a gung-ho attacking side, and your goalkeeper is better than Mannone. Despite that, you have only conceded one less goal than calamity Brighton. If your centre backs are the best in the division, they must be really off form.

Re: Hull. I don't know about Chester, but Hobbs is class. Was also our player of the season when we made the play-offs under Pearson mk I, which was also built round a mean defence. He does need a leader alongside him though, always looked really nervy when he didn't have a fellow defender and always comes across as a really shy person in interviews etc. too, so he's not a great leader who will boss the defence or anything, but with a good leader beside him, which I assume Chester is, he does the simple things so well.

His performance in the 1-0 victory at home to Cardiff at the end of 09/10 season. <3

Thinking about it actually selling Hobbs for £850k and signing Mills to replace him at £4.5-5.5mil must be the worst piece of transfer dealing we have ever made in our history.

Without really wanting to get into the debate about defenders too much as I don't really see too many other Championship sides play (I don't watch the highlights program or other live Championship games that don't involve Boro), that's an awfully misleading stat.

For a start, Williams hasn't played at centre-back very often recently. I wouldn't say our defensive record is that bad either (joint 5th with Soton and West Ham) but it was up there with the best of them till our dip in form kicked in. Which arose due to a lot of injuries / suspensions in the centre of midfield. Particularly with Bailey missing which has meant that Williams has played a lot of games in midfield. You also make a point about the goalkeeper but we've had to use 3 different keepers since Christmas due to injuries.

Like I said, I can't really comment on the other players, but it's hardly a fair reflection on the quality of either Bates or Williams.

Radio Nottingham made the last 15 minutes at St.Andrews sound like trench warfare. I think it was more than that.

certainly sounded like we had a bit of luck in not conceding towards the end, i think we deserved it though

certainly sounded like we had a bit of luck in not conceding towards the end, i think we deserved it though

Yeah sounded like it. About time our luck changed a little though. Next 3 games are massive considering we have away fixtures at Derby, Leeds, Leicester and Palace after.

tbf, since cotterill has been able to bring in some players ( albeit only on loan ) we've been playing a lot better, 3 crucial games coming up now, away at barnsley, then home to millwall and donny, if we keep up recent performances, that could be 9 poits there

this is the first game i've missed since ipswich away *prays omens*

Please don't miss anymore :)

Back to back late winners at home. Our luck finally changing?

Have to say today was one of the most boring games I've seen all season, we just couldn't break down Barnsley at all. They clearly came for a draw and got what they deserved, amazed at how unambitious they were against a team 2nd from bottom of the table tbh. They managed an impressive 3 shots in the first half (all long range) and none in the 2nd half, with a even more impressive 0 corners. Certainly made for boring viewing watching us utterly fail to break Barnsley down.

Actually won 6 of our last 7 home games now. Only problem is we're beyond garbage away from home.

Bit of a **** day at the office tbf, not even Donny conceding the last minute could make it better. Next 3 I'm writing off, Boro, Reading and Brighton. Then we can concentrate on the run in.

We lacked everything today, Allen was a plus part, looked lively and tried to create but trying to create something with Ward, Futacs and Halford as your attacking options was never going to end well. That said though we were robbed of a penalty, one of those hands in the air, hits arm ones. Can't believe the officials didn't see it/deem it not to be a penalty.

Just having a look at a Barnsley forum and it seems they played SIX defenders today. Can't believe anybody would be so negative against us. :D Would be pretty furious at Keith Hill right now if I was a Barnsley fan tbh

Bit of a **** day at the office tbf' date=' not even Donny conceding the last minute could make it better. Next 3 I'm writing off, Boro, Reading and Brighton. Then we can concentrate on the run in.

We lacked everything today, Allen was a plus part, looked lively and tried to create but trying to create something with Ward, Futacs and Halford as your attacking options was never going to end well. That said though we were robbed of a penalty, one of those hands in the air, hits arm ones. Can't believe the officials didn't see it/deem it not to be a penalty.[/quote']

How did we play today?

Archived