Messi or Ronaldo

Why are people saying that Ronaldo can't stand the big games. Where was Mess against Arsenal at the Emirates?? Messi at Stamford Bridge?? Messi at Anfield in 06/07??? Ronaldo is a better player IMO because he established himself as the best in the world in the toughest league in the world (EPL).

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Eh?

Messi was heavily involved in the game at emirates. What match were you watching?

Ronaldo is unstoppable when he's on form. His direct running and shooting is out of this world. But he doesn't offer much more then that. This means when he's not on form, and has one of his sulking moments, he completely goes missing in games.

Messi has more to offer with his movement and passing, as well as his work rate and tenacity.

Much like when Real got beaten 5-0 by Barca - Ronaldo sulked for the entire second half, and was virtually non existent.

And during the Barca vs Man Utd CL final - Ronaldo spent the entire 90 minutes trying to do solo runs and showing off. He was pathetically bad for the entire match, while Messi ran the show and scored the winner.

Both of phenomenal players. But Ronaldo is very one dimensional. He likes to run and shoot. Stop him running and shooting, and you won't see him drop back and dictate a game with intricate passing. He'll just whine and sulk.

In what way? Ronaldo has never been in trouble or fell out with a manager. He is a great pro!

correction, he fell out with Alex Ferguson and whined his way to Real Madrid, he obviously went there for the money and he always dives and moans at the referee. He gets angry with his team-mates when they don't pass to him, then he'll do the same himself.

C.Ronaldo: "God sent me to earth to show people how to play football”

Leo Messi: "I never sent anybody.”

Old joke, but valid. Even though they are both world-class players, Messi edges it.

C.Ronaldo: "God sent me to earth to show people how to play football”

Leo Messi: "I never sent anybody.”

Old joke, but valid. Even though they are both world-class players, Messi edges it.

i think you will find god to be known as robbie fowler on this here earth.

i think you will find god to be known as robbie fowler on this here earth.

Not in Perth, he is absolute rubbish. We’ve taken him off the marquee signing allocation and trying to get him on a player/coach contract.

correction, he fell out with Alex Ferguson and whined his way to Real Madrid, he obviously went there for the money and he always dives and moans at the referee. He gets angry with his team-mates when they don't pass to him, then he'll do the same himself.

Rubbish, he wanted to go to a club he supports. Stayed an extra year and was fantastic all season. So what if he gets angey if team mates don't pass, I like that!

Rubbish, he wanted to go to a club he supports. Stayed an extra year and was fantastic all season. So what if he gets angey if team mates don't pass, I like that!

Actually, I seem to remember the day before the Champion's League final against Barcelona, he stated he wanted to stay at United. United then lose to Barcelona, and immediately, the day after, he said he wanted to leave.

Cristiano Ronaldo was one of the reasons I stopped supporting United because they were so far up his backside (including, sadly, Alex Ferguson), he became bigger than the club. You just had to watch MUTV to see that.

I'd pick Messi over him simply because he plays for the team. Ronaldo only plays for himself, and then looks at himself on the big screen once he's done it.

Actually, I seem to remember the day before the Champion's League final against Barcelona, he stated he wanted to stay at United. United then lose to Barcelona, and immediately, the day after, he said he wanted to leave.

Cristiano Ronaldo was one of the reasons I stopped supporting United because they were so far up his backside (including, sadly, Alex Ferguson), he became bigger than the club. You just had to watch MUTV to see that.

I'd pick Messi over him simply because he plays for the team. Ronaldo only plays for himself, and then looks at himself on the big screen once he's done it.

Haha, You stopped supporting your team because of that? Bet United miss fans like you!

Ronaldo is the more complete player, he also has the distinction of shining in the two best leagues in the world as well as doing much better than Messi on the international stage. Anyone could score goals at Barca, Ronaldo would be an absolute God at that club. The worldwide circle jerk surrounding that club is cringeworthy.

You never supported United in the first place if you "stopped supporting them" for such utterly ridiculous reasons. The club is no more up Ronaldo's backside than Barca are up Messi's. He was United's best player for years, hardly surprising they rated him pretty highly while he was there.

I don't get why so many people have the opinion that Ronaldo has more to his game. Is it because he's taller or supposedly stronger? Messi has always been better at holding off strong defenders and staying on his feet, granted that might be because Messi actually tries to stay on his feet but Messi offers much more in terms of his movement, team play, intelligent passing, dribbling and tbh technical ability as well. Messi is much more of a complete player imo. It seemed a big deal in the media that Ronaldo was better in the air and that Messi was incapable of scoring headers but how does aerial ability make Ronaldo more complete he doesn't score that many headers even if he is more capable.

I don't get why so many people have the opinion that Ronaldo has more to his game. Is it because he's taller or supposedly stronger? Messi has always been better at holding off strong defenders and staying on his feet, granted that might be because Messi actually tries to stay on his feet but Messi offers much more in terms of his movement, team play, intelligent passing, dribbling and tbh technical ability as well. Messi is much more of a complete player imo. It seemed a big deal in the media that Ronaldo was better in the air and that Messi was incapable of scoring headers but how does aerial ability make Ronaldo more complete he doesn't score that many headers even if he is more capable.

It's a lazy argument put forward by idiots. Messi is on another planet to everyone in an attacking sense. The biggest difference between Messi and the fake Ronaldo imo is you can mark the portugeezer out of games by denying him space and man marking him and he'll resort to whining and throwing his toys around. Messi on the other hand it doesn't matter how many people you try to mark him with he'll still create loads and be very dangerous. With Messi you just have to hope and pray he has a very rare off day or you're screwed.

The biggest difference between Messi and the fake Ronaldo

How is he fake? he did not steal the name:rolleyes: I cant how people can compare him to the other Ronaldo. One is a striker and the other is a winger, both who score the same amount of goals.

On FM Ronaldo is a carbon copy of Messi but with greater strength and higher heading attributes. Hes also a physical beast on FM. Thats why hes more complete.

So you stop supporting United because we had a player that scores around 30 goals a season and never missed a training session. Because you think he became bigger than the club? He did not cause as much trouble as Rooney. Say you supported United a couple of months ago, would you have stopped because they kept Rooney? What did they do on MUTV to make you think that about Ronaldo?

tbf it does **** me of, how United are treating Rooney. if it was any other player he would be out of the club. Does not stop people supporting United.

To many questions:D

i'd have said thats a really stupid reason to stop supporting a club, that is if i hadn't grown up in devon where the usual reason for people supporting man utd to stop was them dropping to third.

p.s. messi

Ronaldo is the more complete player, he also has the distinction of shining in the two best leagues in the world as well as doing much better than Messi on the international stage. Anyone could score goals at Barca, Ronaldo would be an absolute God at that club. The worldwide circle jerk surrounding that club is cringeworthy.

You never supported United in the first place if you "stopped supporting them" for such utterly ridiculous reasons. The club is no more up Ronaldo's backside than Barca are up Messi's. He was United's best player for years, hardly surprising they rated him pretty highly while he was there.

I don't understand how C.Ronaldo has done more on the International stage? There were times during the qualification for the Euro 2008 tournament when he was boo'd by his own fans for not pulling his weight, there were people who didn't feel he was right to be captain and that when it has REALLY mattered in International Tournaments C.Ronaldo has done pretty much nothing.

Example, the 3-2 defeat to Germany in Euro 2008, C.Ronaldo didn't get involved at all in the last 35-40 mins of the game whereas Nani was trying is all and was Portugals most creative force. 2010 World Cup, against Spain, did nothing but sulk. You could argue Portugal don't have the talent Argentina do, but it doesn't take a football genius to realise the problems within the Argentine squad, a unbalanced squad still looking for a playmaker since Riquelme's retirement, a team with no depth in defence but a very heavy attack.

He has scored a lot of goals for Portugal but a majority has been against lesser European nations such as Kazakhstan, Armenia, Luxenbourg, Iceland and Azerbaijan.

Messi hasn't exactly shone at Internation level but to say C.Ronaldo has been much better on the Internation stage is quite frankly ludicrous.

I do agree the love for Barcelona is quite cringeworthy but players like Zlatan have failed to fit in with that team, you need to be a TEAM player to work at Barcelona, shockingly its not as easy as putting a average striker at Barca and he will score a bagful of goals.

On FM Ronaldo is a carbon copy of Messi but with greater strength and higher heading attributes. Hes also a physical beast on FM. Thats why hes more complete.

no doubt on fm i was more referring to the real life argument. I believe the Barca researcher said that the current CA/PA system didn't do Messi justice as some stats had to be sacrificed in order for other ones to be higher. There are a few of Messi's stats that seem underrated.

Imho I think they both are brilliant and magical to watch but I would say CR7.

Messi has the luxury of playing in the best Barca side ever and he seems less important to them then CR7 is to madrid.

Messi still didn't shine as much for Argentina as he did for Barca and seems to have some problems leading a team, so I wonder how he will do in the same role as CR7 does for Madrid.

I think pressure wise CR7 has it a lot tougher then Messi also, because he didn't win anything yet with Madrid and that's a factor that shouldn't be taken to lightly.

Anyway Ideally I would love to make a clone out of them both, and while i'm at it, a 2nd one out of Maradona and Pele and a 3rd one out of Di Stefano and Cruyff.

What a front line that would be!

I'm currently playing the demo and got board so i decided to put Ronaldo at Barca just to see what damage i could do in half a season. It then got me thinking if you could only have one of them at your club on the game and if money was not a factor which one you have? and why?

I'd have Ronaldo personally he seems to score more goals than messi does and just seems to be an all round better player.

Just cause he seems to, doesnt mean he does. Look at the time Ronaldo has been in Spain. Messi has plyed 92 games and scored 90 goals, Ronaldo has played 75 and scored 70. Both phenominal returns from wide players but not the most vaild of arguments that could be put forward.

Messi has the luxury of playing in the best Barca side ever and he seems less important to them then CR7 is to madrid.

See this is one argument that gets brought up so often. For me its a ridiculous one, i mean really, to say one player is better than another casue he is playing in a great team is laughable, by that logic you could say that either one of Henry, Bergkamp, Pires, Ljungberg etc were not as good as they are made out to be cause they were in one of the best squads Arsenal have ever had.

I think pressure wise CR7 has it a lot tougher then Messi also, because he didn't win anything yet with Madrid and that's a factor that shouldn't be taken to lightly.

This is one of the best reason for why Messi is a better player. In the only really big game (classicos aside) where they were head to head, Messi was one of, if not the best player on the park, Ronaldo was one of the worst. When it comes for needing a big performance to win a big game, he usually goes missing. Has done it every time he has faced us for Man U or Madrid.

personally i would have either, they are both scoring phenomenal amount of goals the last 2 seasons and to pick 1 over the other is impossible, people wouldnt pick ronaldo coz hes arrogant, but they both are the best at the minute and if i could i would love to get them in the same team, not that it would be possible to work to get them both stil scoring the same amount!

IRL and in FM I prefer Ronaldo. Is way more complete than Messi, physically a machine, great header, probably the best free kick taker of the World, and is quite fast too, not to mention his technique, etc.

His also proved his value in Premier League, which is by far the best League in the World, and physically very demanding (something I really doubt Messi would do), and now in the Spanish League. Messi is just Barça all the way, not enough IMO.

I get why most people like Messi and hate Ronaldo, Messi is much more "likable", even if I consider him and apathetic player. Ronaldo is way, way more hated, because of his personal life and all his million girlfriends. But he actually did all on his way, it's not by anyhow easy to go to Manchester as a teenager, and did all of what he did, he deserves some respect. And all of his coaches always said that he stayed late training, many times with weights on his legs, to improve his speed. Just look at the guy, he's, what Messi is nowhere near, the guy is built, he actually works hard, but that and his looks, his attitude here and there and all the girlfriends made him look like a douche, but the guy his actually a perfectionist.

I don't understand how C.Ronaldo has done more on the International stage? There were times during the qualification for the Euro 2008 tournament when he was boo'd by his own fans for not pulling his weight, there were people who didn't feel he was right to be captain and that when it has REALLY mattered in International Tournaments C.Ronaldo has done pretty much nothing.

Example, the 3-2 defeat to Germany in Euro 2008, C.Ronaldo didn't get involved at all in the last 35-40 mins of the game whereas Nani was trying is all and was Portugals most creative force. 2010 World Cup, against Spain, did nothing but sulk. You could argue Portugal don't have the talent Argentina do, but it doesn't take a football genius to realise the problems within the Argentine squad, a unbalanced squad still looking for a playmaker since Riquelme's retirement, a team with no depth in defence but a very heavy attack.

He has scored a lot of goals for Portugal but a majority has been against lesser European nations such as Kazakhstan, Armenia, Luxenbourg, Iceland and Azerbaijan.

Messi hasn't exactly shone at Internation level but to say C.Ronaldo has been much better on the Internation stage is quite frankly ludicrous.

I do agree the love for Barcelona is quite cringeworthy but players like Zlatan have failed to fit in with that team, you need to be a TEAM player to work at Barcelona, shockingly its not as easy as putting a average striker at Barca and he will score a bagful of goals.

Totally agree.

Watched Portugals' games at the World Cup 2010 (on TV) and Ronaldo's attitude towards his team mates was abysmal. His work rate was non-existent, especially when he loses the ball. Which was very often. He would lose the ball and just throw a dummy spit and walk off with hands on hips.

Ronaldo, whilst, no doubts on his talents, serious doubts on his attitude. And as football is a "team" sport, I have to go with Messi everytime IRL. But in the game, I think Ronaldo is portrayed slightly over reality and in general performs better.

CRonaldo. His flair makes him interesting to watch whether it's long shots or dribbling, hes very well rounded. I think Messi is good, but excels because of the Barcelona style, Barca don't take risks, but Messi does, that's why he stands out so much in their squad. Outside of their team I don't think he'd be a star as much as he is now. Lots of players have proven over the years when they become popular because of their performances, once they leave that team they don't seem to have the same X factor, where as CR has proven no matter who he plays for, Sporting, United, Real, hes a star for a reason. Ofcourse Messi can always prove me wrong!

IRL and in FM I prefer Ronaldo. Is way more complete than Messi, physically a machine, great header, probably the best free kick taker of the World, and is quite fast too, not to mention his technique, etc.

His also proved his value in Premier League, which is by far the best League in the World, and physically very demanding (something I really doubt Messi would do), and now in the Spanish League. Messi is just Barça all the way, not enough IMO.

I get why most people like Messi and hate Ronaldo, Messi is much more "likable", even if I consider him and apathetic player. Ronaldo is way, way more hated, because of his personal life and all his million girlfriends. But he actually did all on his way, it's not by anyhow easy to go to Manchester as a teenager, and did all of what he did, he deserves some respect. And all of his coaches always said that he stayed late training, many times with weights on his legs, to improve his speed. Just look at the guy, he's, what Messi is nowhere near, the guy is built, he actually works hard, but that and his looks, his attitude here and there and all the girlfriends made him look like a douche, but the guy his actually a perfectionist.

:D Must be a joke. No one can truly be this ignorant.

How the hell are you suppose to compare Messi and Ronaldo? Messi may have been the better footballer, but Ronaldo has shown that he can be world class in England, Spain, Portugal while Messi has only played in Spain all his life and even his international ratings are pretty average (lacking playmaker like Xavi and Iniesta). So please, saying that Ronaldo is a crappy player is pretty poor judgement.

How the hell are you suppose to compare Messi and Ronaldo? Messi may have been the better footballer, but Ronaldo has shown that he can be world class in England, Spain, Portugal while Messi has only played in Spain all his life and even his international ratings are pretty average (lacking playmaker like Xavi and Iniesta). So please, saying that Ronaldo is a crappy player is pretty poor judgement.

i don't think anyone is tbh, i think its more a that they are both amazing players but Messi is better.

Messi is the better footballer and the best player on the planet by a decent distance, which shows how good he is because Ronaldo is a wonderful player. Ronaldo's game suits FM more but I'd go for Messi because I just think he's possibly the greatest ever for sheer footballing ability. Not sure he'll ever be known as the greatest though, just don't think Argentina are good enough to win a big trophy while Spain are knocking around at the moment.

It's also interesting people mention free-kicks, I prefer Messi's style but Barca rarely do win free-kicks, Ronaldo's look spectacular but Messi is amazing in the way he always goes close whether saved, wide/over, goal....it's always very close. if Messi took the same amount of free-kicks as Ronaldo has took, I believe he'd have just as many.

As for the international scene, it's hard to compare, the problem previously is that Maradonna saw too much of himself in Messi, they are different players. You'd see Messi coming too deep and with Tevez and Higuain, they'd be the people getting in the box and onto more goalscoring central positions. The new coach has put Messi as a false number 9 and since then, he's scored in every match and created a few. Basically, he's playing the same role as he is for Barcelona. International argyement doesn't wash for me. It is very difficult for Messi, Barcelona are bought up with a philosophy, that's how they play the game, a certain way. It's a well oiled machine, so when Messi goes to Argentina, it's completely different style of football, yes they keep it but not to the extent Barca do where as the likes of Xavi/Iniesta can almost slip from Barca to Spain without adjusting their games, maybe slight tweaks because they play extremely similar, the only real difference between Spain and Barca is Messi and Alves, two great forward thinking players who would turn Spain from the side that wins 1-0....to a side that can hammer teams in the same fashion Barca do. Spain are so successful because Xavi, Busquets, Iniesta, Villa, Pedro, Pique, Puyol make up the heart of the team.

How is he fake? he did not steal the name:rolleyes: I cant how people can compare him to the other Ronaldo. One is a striker and the other is a winger, both who score the same amount of goals.

He's fake because he aint the real Ronaldo and they are easily compared. To call CR7 just a winger is laughable as he's a complete forward, a supreme flat track bully. The real Ronadlo however, in his prime was like Messi and CR7 combined. The guy was a complete legend. Messi is up there too because his dribbling and movement are insane but CR7 although a top quality tactical player can be shut down by top defenders easier in the big games. There's really no argument if you unbaisedly watch alot of both.

He's fake because he aint the real Ronaldo
There's really no argument if you unbaisedly watch alot of both.

Only asked how is he fake, i don't see how i am being biased.

CR7 although a top quality tactical player can be shut down by top defenders easier in the big games.

Everyone can be shut down by top defenders. Like when Messi played Inter.

Fwiw i think Messi is brilliant.

See this is one argument that gets brought up so often. For me its a ridiculous one, i mean really, to say one player is better than another casue he is playing in a great team is laughable, by that logic you could say that either one of Henry, Bergkamp, Pires, Ljungberg etc were not as good as they are made out to be cause they were in one of the best squads Arsenal have ever had.

This is one of the best reason for why Messi is a better player. In the only really big game (classicos aside) where they were head to head, Messi was one of, if not the best player on the park, Ronaldo was one of the worst. When it comes for needing a big performance to win a big game, he usually goes missing. Has done it every time he has faced us for Man U or Madrid.

You say it's laughable because of the sides they play in surrounded by superstars I would like to see how well Messi or Ronaldo would fair up playing for say Napoli who weren't that great and win the league single handedly like Maradona or see them almost single handedly win the World Cup much like Maradona done again.

I'm not saying they aren't great but being surrounded by great players certainly helps a lot.

Oh and don't forget Maradona was off his tits for pretty much his whole career so scary to even think what he would of been capable of had he not have been...

After having a read this thread I can't help but find similarities between CR and, for those that can remember, a young boxer Mike Tyson.

In his younger days Tyson was an absolute machine, unstoppable and unbeatable. There were many plaudits coming his way about being the greatest ever, possibly stripping Ali. The flaws however were attitude and to a degree professionalism, and that pretty much started his downfall from grace.

In regards to CR much has been said in the media etc about attitude etc, so I wonder if he had a better attitude (possibly the wrong word) would he be regarded as the greatest ever. So for arguments sake if he had the doggedness and tenacity of will that Messi has, plus the skills that he has shown at UTD and Real, would he be classed as the greatest footballer ever.

Just a thought.(apologies to the OP for being off topic)

I see the fan boys who know very little about football are out in force.

Messi is twice the player Ronaldo is, but hey, Ronaldo gets the ball to swerve with free kicks and is a lot better looking so he wins, right?

I feel so sorry for some people who can't appreciate Messi's genius because they simply don't understand properly.

Archived