Promissing players in CM/FM that never "made it" big IRL

Alexander Farnerud - CM01/02
+1

Kim Kallstrom

Tons of great - and cheap - Scandinavians on CM 01/02. Stefan Selakovic, Rade Prica, Jonas Lunden, Abgar Barsom, Hakan Mild, Kennedy Bakircioglu and a couple more than I'm forgetting right now.

As for Aghahowa, mentioned in the OP, I believe the problem wasn't so much that he was mediocre but that he didn't have the mentality to develop the talent he did have and make the most of his career.

Tons of great - and cheap - Scandinavians on CM 01/02. Stefan Selakovic, Rade Prica, Jonas Lunden, Abgar Barsom, Hakan Mild, Kennedy Bakircioglu and a couple more than I'm forgetting right now.

As for Aghahowa, mentioned in the OP, I believe the problem wasn't so much that he was mediocre but that he didn't have the mentality to develop the talent he did have and make the most of his career.

A true CM0102 player spotted from distance. :) Too bad you're not to be seen on the good old 'keep the game alive' forums ;)

On topic: CM0102 had plenty of those talents who failed IRL...Apart from those already mentioned, there were Isaac Okoronkwo, Pawel Brozek, Franco Constazo...

Freddy Guarin

He's at Porto. He isn't world class that's for sure, but he isn't a massive flop either.

Saviola...

What??? Barcelona, Real Madrid, Monaco, Sevilla, Benfica, 40 int. caps... This guy is world class, he just couldn't keep his ridiculously good quality for many years. If you see him today he's a very different players than he was in the Barça days, which doesn't mean he isn't still awesome. Tottenham wanted him last season.

My picks: Freddy Adu, Lulinha, Kerlon, Helder Barbosa, Fabio Paim.

Lionel Morgan.

Enough said.

Enough said?!?

He was promising in real life until his left knee fell off at the age of 21. Would have made the England team if he avoided injury.

But I suppose it is true to say he never made it big IRL

These threads always make me wonder how many players were rated with a low CA when they were young and in real life went on to be world class. Messi was a -9 on one of the old FM's, surely there must be more extreme examples.

Ransford Osei :)

You would always find him in the lists of -9 and -10 PA players in Good Players & Teams Guide "wonderkid" threads, from when he first featured in FM as a 16 year old. Indeed in many a lower league save, he was always a youngster I would sign.

IRL, he's currently on loan at Granada C.F. "B" in Spain, from Maccabi Haifa of Israel. Having attended some B team fixtures this season, because I'd never seen the guy play for real, I found he wasn't anywhere near as good as I would have hoped. :(

Ransford Osei :)

You would always find him in the lists of -9 and -10 PA players in Good Players & Teams Guide "wonderkid" threads, from when he first featured in FM as a 16 year old. Indeed in many a lower league save, he was always a youngster I would sign.

IRL, he's currently on loan at Granada C.F. "B" in Spain, from Maccabi Haifa of Israel. Having attended some B team fixtures this season, because I'd never seen the guy play for real, I found he wasn't anywhere near as good as I would have hoped. :(

he's still young though he has plenty of time to improve

he's still young though he has plenty of time to improve

Can't imagine that he pictured himself playing in the Spanish 5th tier though...

here's his info with Granada if you're interested - http://www.lapreferente.com/index.php?IDjugador=21286

He's only played nine games this season and has only played a full ninety minutes twice. Sadly I would say his career is on a downward spiral, rather than an upward one. Hard to say exactly why though. He's got pace and he's enthusiastic, but his technical ability isn't all that good for a winger or forward, from the admittedly few occasions I've seen him play for the B side.

That said though, I'll be interested to see where he goes from here, once his loan finishes with Granada at the end of the season. Interestingly, he did win his first full international cap in October last year for Ghana.

It was just amusing for me to see the club I'm researching, sign him for their B side, having always signed him in many of my FM saves over the last few years. Next B team match I go to, I'll see if I can have a chat with him. :)

I see some weird names around here.

Bakircioglu had and still has a good career, played for Twente together with Elia rotating on the wings and played for Ajax, most notable scoring against Fiorentina in the UEFA Cup.

Kallstrom is a first team player for Olympique Lyonnais, title favorite in the French league.

I see some weird names around here.

Bakircioglu had and still has a good career, played for Twente together with Elia rotating on the wings and played for Ajax, most notable scoring against Fiorentina in the UEFA Cup.

Kallstrom is a first team player for Olympique Lyonnais, title favorite in the French league.

Yes he ended up being a decent footballer, but from his ability in the early CM games would have seen him being pretty much one of the best players in the world if he had reached the same heights in real life as he did in the game.

at one point there was a player called To madeira or something similar, he was portugues and was on hell of a striker. Never heard of him prior to or after the game and i cant remember which version it was.

He was a fake player, somebody put in by one of the researchers for a laugh.

These threads always make me wonder how many players were rated with a low CA when they were young and in real life went on to be world class. Messi was a -9 on one of the old FM's, surely there must be more extreme examples.

Even when Messi had a -10 pa, not sure which FM it was, i would get him on loan and for some reason Barca would accept a very low amount of money for him, sometimes they would even let his contract run out.

Cant remember for sure but he might have been on a youth contract and with quite a few of his attributes random, loyalty being one of them i guess, he would accept your professional terms and get him that way. It was the same when Bojan had a -10 pa, same deal. If you couldn't grab them before they signed professional contracts, grab them on loan and get them on the cheap.

Now the only way to have Messi in your team is to choose Barca ;( Or if he decides he wants a new challenge.

He didn't exactly have a bad career IRL, but I remember back in the day when Neil Lennon was a young midfielder at Crewe, so whichever version of CM that would have been. I signed him for peanuts for my Portsmouth side, and played him in the hole behind a front two.

To this day, I've never again had a player get 40 goals and 40 assists in one season!

Can't imagine that he pictured himself playing in the Spanish 5th tier though...

here's his info with Granada if you're interested - http://www.lapreferente.com/index.php?IDjugador=21286

He's only played nine games this season and has only played a full ninety minutes twice. Sadly I would say his career is on a downward spiral, rather than an upward one. Hard to say exactly why though. He's got pace and he's enthusiastic, but his technical ability isn't all that good for a winger or forward, from the admittedly few occasions I've seen him play for the B side.

That said though, I'll be interested to see where he goes from here, once his loan finishes with Granada at the end of the season. Interestingly, he did win his first full international cap in October last year for Ghana.

It was just amusing for me to see the club I'm researching, sign him for their B side, having always signed him in many of my FM saves over the last few years. Next B team match I go to, I'll see if I can have a chat with him. :)

i remember him from the under 17 world cup a few years back he was one of the players of the tournament, from that tournament only de gea and kroos have really done well

Stefan Moore

Danny Guthrie

Helder Postiga

Some super Guatemalean whos name I have forgotten

I dont think these guys have really fulfilled the dizzy heights they reached on my CM 03/04 save.

Cesar Carignano of Championship Manager 4 fame.

This is a great shout. Always tried to buy him whenever starting a save.

Freddy Grisales (spelling?) was also a great player on CM4 (I think - pretty sure it wasn't an FM version).

I had a player, for Wigan. Back when they were in division 2 i think. Had Roberto Martinez who bosses the midfield, and then this star striker.

Jesus Seba.

He was immense, I don't know if he was real, or fake, or anything about him. He was insane for Wigan, got me promoted all the way up to the Premiership. HE was late 20's IIRC.

Anyone heard of him or anything? Was CM3 or soemthing.

I signed Kerlon in FM10 on a free from Inter and he was brilliant for me.

In the Belgian Second Division that is. Did help me to promotion, mind.

I remember there were quite a few young French players in my first CM03/04 game that came through in my game to be world-beaters. Anthony Le Tallec (ha) and Hamed Yahiaoui (a DM who I signed along with Mascherano at a similar age and to be honest he was better, could score some cracking long-range goals too), they came along at the same time with a similar progression as Nasri and Ben Arfa (who can't be labelled real life flops really)

Been so many but here is a try

Kennedy Bakircioglu

Freddy Adu

Andri Sigporsson

Cherno Samba

Freddy Guarin

Stefan Ishizaki

Mark Kerr

Lebohang Mokoena

Nick Besagno

Sherman Cardenas

Mathew Etherington

Richard Wright

Alexander Farnerud

Francis Jeffers

Billy Jones

Guillermo Ochoa

Adu's problem was that he chose to go down the MLS route. By the time he went to Benfica he hadn't progressed as much as he could have.

The trouble with your theory is that he left MLS at age 18 and never progressed in those key years of 18-21...........his European seasons.

It's funny, the players who I've had make it really, really big never seem to make it on these lists for some reason (well, not all of them anyway. Some do.), yet save after save they were always sensational.

Gareth Jellyman

Simon Davies

Matthew Etherington

Samuel Okikiolu

Sagi Burton

Paul Bagshaw

Kevin Rapley

Javier Saviola

Richard Rufus

Titus Bramble (he was regularly the best defender in the world in my CM 00/01 games)

Pedro Sarabia

Cherno Samba

Zlatan Muslimovic

Robert Douglas

John Curtis

Alex Notman

Phil Mulryne

Andri Sigthorsson

I seem to remember one guy. Nii Lamptey i think. It was many years back. Think he was M/F RLC. I had him for liverpool and he just destroyed team after team on his own

He was promising in real life but a sad story to his life and badly managed killed it all of far to soon : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nii_Lamptey

Also my input for a player has to be Sharbel Touma

Seth Johnson was a beast on one of the cm's, think that was the same year that richie wellens was awesome too (might finally get a crack in the EPL soon too!).

I remember on CM3 Bristol Rovers had three of the best youngsters on the game: Mark Smith (most consistent defender I've ever signed), Jamie shore and Trevor Challis. James Flood (was it peterbrough I got him from) & Tommy Smith (watford) were awesome on that game too. The one I can't remember was an awesome English striker, I think he played for Huddersfield but always turned out awesome.

Archived