England - The Road to 2012 (now featuring Wayne Rooney) but not his touch

jmr

• Replies 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Would love him to come on and score 2 or 3 goals now, just to see the reaction if he plays a blinder.

I agree with this completely.

Different topic, but I remember the media always saying how 'obvious' it was that 3-5-2 would suit the needs of our golden generation around 2006. Then Steve plays it against Croatia (no excuse for experimenting for that game though) and we get battered and they never mention it again!

Seriously rot off, this idea that Owen is constantly injured is a myth. last season he was available for all but about half a dozen of United's first team games and SAF just didn't play him. Check the stats.
if he was playing often he'd be injured all the time same as he was at newcastle

he didn't get injured because he didn't play, pretty simple. No chance he'd have stayed fit if he'd have been given a long run in the side.

Also there isn't really a standout young striker who deserves being called up tbh.

Carroll? He doesn't particularly suit England's system but Capello seems to always want a "big man" in the squad. He's also young, got a chance of getting into the Euro 2012 squad and in form.

I can't believe the amount of people saying Carroll has been in the squad. Let him prove himself first in the Premiership, proving does not mean a hatrick in one game, a goal in another and winning a header against Vidic.

If he has 12/13ish prem goals by Feb and looking good, then fine.

He was just an example. There are many other players and probably some that should be ahead of him in the pecking order to get picked, Kevin shouldn't be one of those players.

And btw, I reckon he'll have 12 by February.

How is Frazier Campbell doing at the moment? He was getting bigged up a bit earlier in the season. Not saying he should be a genuine contender for the squad, just interested to see if he could potentially be one for the future.

He was looking like he was actually going to be awesome this year then he did his cruciate.

How is Frazier Campbell doing at the moment? He was getting bigged up a bit earlier in the season. Not saying he should be a genuine contender for the squad, just interested to see if he could potentially be one for the future.

Same with Nathan Delfouneso. He's done well at all levels for England. Only 19. Hope he gets more minutes at Villa.

Really are crying out for some young talented striker to step up. Not at the level of Owen or Rooney when they first emerged. But all of our established strikers are 26+ bar Rooney (Crouch, Defoe, Bent, Cole, etc)

If Man City hadn't been taken over and Daniel Sturridge wasn't so greedy, he'd probably be that player. He still could be an England international, but it's not going to be anytime soon with Drogba and Anelka around.

Yeah, Sheringham first came to prominence at Aldershot iirc, and Ian Wright was at Greenwich Borough. Closest thing to that atm is Jermaine Beckford who's found his way into the Premier League. A potential other is George Porter but he's only 18 so still has anything up to 8 years to get his chance and still has to develop, but is an example of a decent player being found in non-league football.

Yeah, Sheringham first came to prominence at Aldershot iirc, and Ian Wright was at Greenwich Borough. Closest thing to that atm is Jermaine Beckford who's found his way into the Premier League. A potential other is George Porter but he's only 18 so still has anything up to 8 years to get his chance and still has to develop, but is an example of a decent player being found in non-league football.

IIRC? You are younger than me FFS and Sheringham was at Aldershot before I was born. Stop chatting so much rubbish.

Anyway, according to wiki, he played 5 matches without scoring. Not sure if he "made his mark" there.

Ian Wright was spotted at Dulwich Hamlet, but made his name at Palace

but davies isn't going to play anyway right? brings us back round to that.

whatever, let the clown do what he wants.

He may very well not play but they're a good side, they may keep us out, doesn't look like a breakthrough, they may be leading, it's nice to have options on the bench and that's what Davies is there for, an option, that's the idea of picking a squad.

Perhaps if the other strikers were all fit, Rooney, Defoe, whoever the first choice strikers are these days :p then perhaps there wouldn't be a need for a strong back up as we'd have Zamora or Crouch in there as an option, perhaps the extra striker could be less experienced but we have a lot of strikers out, Rooney's fitness is a doubt, there's a chance Davies may get on so it's probably not the best time to have someone in the squad for the experience of it all

IIRC? You are younger than me FFS and Sheringham was at Aldershot before I was born. Stop chatting so much rubbish.

Anyway, according to wiki, he played 5 matches without scoring. Not sure if he "made his mark" there.

Ian Wright was spotted at Dulwich Hamlet, but made his name at Palace

When was he at Dulwich then, cos he was at Palace from 1985 and was at Greenwich in 1984-85.

If Man City hadn't been taken over and Daniel Sturridge wasn't so greedy, he'd probably be that player. He still could be an England international, but it's not going to be anytime soon with Drogba and Anelka around.

If he'd stayed with us i'm convinced he'd be in the England squad now, but I can't blame him for taking the money at a club like Chelsea. He would have got more games with us because of the way we play and way he'd already impressed in the games he was involved in. Even if he was 4th or 5th choice with us right now, we could let him go out on loan and impress like Joe Hart last season and Nedum Onuoha this, Chelsea don't have a big enough squad to let Sturridge go out on loan

Bit of an overreaction there. :confused:

To be fair to Wandsfan, I think you are allowed to recall something even if you weren't born then! For example, England won the World Cup in 1966 irrc. ;)

Yep. Apparently we are:

England U21: Fielding, Mancienne, Smalling, Jones, Bertrand, Cleverley, Henderson, Muamba, Rose, Wilshere, Welbeck.

Subs: Loach, Lansbury, Albrighton, Cork, Walker, Sturridge, Delfouneso.

That's according to the BBC site anyway, i'm not watching either

Jinx or what, Moyes bigging up keeping him in even though Rio is back and out he goes!

1-1 for U21s, can't be too long left now, we took the lead (Henderson) and Bertrand OG, not watching, delayed after Norn Iron/Italy match but not staying up for that. Could get sticky there

Lennon or Downing ... jeez, what a choice :/

I don't even know our squad, who are the wide players, wondering if we'll start 4-3-3 with Rooney centre and Adam Johnson and someone else wide with Gerrard, Barry and whoever in the midfield? Seems weak though, judging by the fact I can't remember the players alone :D

Rooney and Bent then, Crouch is fit, right? Crouch maybe then as he likes a big guy, Adam Johnson has to start, Downing / SWP to start on the left? *shudders* What about Ashley Young?

What channel is the game on, by the way?

What day is the game on?

Other than seeing who's in the squad and commenting on the squad options, formation, first 11 and stuff I don't actually bother taking any interest in the games itself :D. Just find England games incredibly boring.

What day is the game on?

Other than seeing who's in the squad and commenting on the squad options, formation, first 11 and stuff I don't actually bother taking any interest in the games itself :D. Just find England games incredibly boring.

Tuesday on ITV.

Archived