England - The Road to 2012 (now featuring Wayne Rooney) but not his touch

jmr

• Replies 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...

Just dragging this thread up from the depths... I've posted this in the League Two thread already, but did anyone know we were bidding to host the UEFA U21 tounament in 2013? Apparently the UEFA delegations have been visiting this week and the decision is due in December. Stadiums we've put forward are Wembley (presumably for the final only), then Derby, Nottingham Forest, Notts County, Shrewsbury and Chesterfield.

Don't really get using both Nottingham grounds, but there you go.

Just dragging this thread up from the depths... I've posted this in the League Two thread already, but did anyone know we were bidding to host the UEFA U21 tounament in 2013? Apparently the UEFA delegations have been visiting this week and the decision is due in December. Stadiums we've put forward are Wembley (presumably for the final only), then Derby, Nottingham Forest, Notts County, Shrewsbury and Chesterfield.

Seem to be trying to keep it to the east midlands. Though that doesn't explain Shrewsbury...

Yeah, well it doesn't exactly seem to be a high profile bid. I had literally not heard anything about it until today, and even throwing it into Google only throws up one or two news reports.

Would be surprised if we got it to be honest really, makes a lot more sense to take it round the smaller countries that would struggle to put a bid together for a European Championship or a World Cup. Might well go to Israel - they bid against Denmark for the one last year and lost, and apparently are bidding again.

Dunn has had a good few seasons. I wouldn't have said that he was England quality when he was at Birmingham, but he's really stepped up at Blackburn.

Not that it means anything, but I called him up rather than switch to 4-4-2 when Gerrard was injured in FM11.

well, he's a bit of a beast on FM though.

Still think he'd add something different to the squad. He'd add a lot more to it than the likes of Barry and SWP.

Capello clearly not a Blackburn fan though, as Robinson has had a couple really good seasons and not played for England for ages

That'll be cool :thup: Have we ever hosted the U21 tournaments before?

Nope!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2013_UEFA_European_Under-21_Football_Championship

Exciting stuff.

Be nice to see it expanded to 16 teams though really... if it's supposed to be about developing youth and giving emerging players the chance to get some tournament experience, it's hard to understand only having 8 finalists when there are now over 50 UEFA members.

Having just watch the Newcastle v Sunderland game, I have to say, Newcastle have a lot of good English players who are knocking on Capello's door. Andy Carroll surely must get a call up for the game against France in November. Then there is Kevin Nolan scoring for fun just behind the striker. Hate to say it, but even Joey Barton has impressed me every time I have watched him this season.

Kevin Nolan has no chance and should get no chance. I think Carroll is a promising young player and since Capello loves his big target men then he'll get called up soon, he's better than Crouch at playing the target man role already. Barton has been fantastic though, I'm sure if he wasn't so hated by everyone then there would be loads of calls for him to be in the squad. He has to be in the next squad really, so much better than Barry, Carrick (on the last 1-2 years form) that it's embarrassing if he doesn't get called up.

Carrick and Barry out, Barton and Huddlestone in. That's what should happen but it's obvious Capello doesn't like to change much. Barton is just so much more a better footballer than Carrick and Barry atm it's ridiculous that he won't get called up, only his attitude will keep him out of the squad or Capello's stubborness to drop under-performing players.

Carrick was even called up last time. Hudd and Barry were called up to play alongside Gerrard. Wilshere the other centre mid. Add Lampard to come back and up and coming youngsters like Henderson and Rodwell. I really don't see the need for Barton. On his day Carrick is a better player, so is Parker.

Carrick and Parker are not better ffs :D Certainly not on current form. Barry should be nowhere near the squad, completely ****ing useless for England. Henderson not ready, Rodwell not ready, Wilshire completely different type of player. On form and performances there's no way anyone could argue Barton not being in the squad, it will probably come down to his attitude and/or Capello being stubborn.

Barry has been fine. Saying he's been useless for England is pretty harsh. Had a poor game against Montenegro, was shown up against Germany. But generally been fine. He was one of our best players in qualifiers, maybe he's never going to be top class but I would never replace him with Barton. Barton is more Gerrard anyway. He has this Tiote doing a lot of donkey work. You think we can play Barton and Gerrard in a 442 midfield?

Barry has his flaws, but he's been first choice, solid Premiership performer for a decade. At decent, well performing clubs. It's just another case of people wanting something new, hoping it will spark something. Barry has been a better player and had a better career then Barton and look what he's done for England? What makes you think after 10 games this season, Barton can suddenly be a massive improvement

Barry has not been fine at all. He's been awful for England for a while now and should be nowhere near the squad. He's not even a proper DM (we really don't have one in England it seems, apart from maybe Cattermole) and has De Jong doing a lot of donkey work for him (see how that works?) so I don't see why Barton can't come in and do Barry's job alongside Gerrard in a 4-4-2 except much much better? Don't care if he has been a performer at his clubs, he's painfully out of his depth playing for England it's actually quite horrible to watch. How should we know what Barton can do for England if he isn't getting a chance? I know he'll be an improvement over Barry because you can't get any worse than the performances he puts in for England.

I'd rather play Huddlestone with Gerrard anyway, but I'd take Barton over Barry every single day of the week without fail, just a much better footballer.

In conclusion what I'm trying to say is that there is nothing Barry can do that Barton can't do better.

Barton and Lampard would be brill in the middle. Barton could balance it if told to I think

I might be slightly biased though, being a Newcastle fan and Barton being my favourite player.

Also would like to add to the Barry is useless argument. Terrible going forwards, and not much better going backwards

My prediction for the France game is:

Gk: Hart, Foster & Green

Full Backs: Johnson, Onuoha, Cole and Gibbs

Centre Backs: Terry, Rio, Jagielka, Cahill, Smalling

Centre Mid: Gerrard, Barry, Huddlestone, Henderson, Wilshere

Wingers: Johnson, Walcott, Lennon, Milner

Strikers: Bent, Crouch, Carroll, Sturridge

That's only 25 players, so could add one or 2 more. Maybe Lampard (if fitness sorted) if not maybe Ashley Young or more likely SWP! Smalling and Sturridge the youth element who probably wont feature.

Then to start the game.

The standard back 5.

Walcott-Gerrard-Hudd-Johnson

--------------Wilshere-------------

---------------Bent------------------

Henderson, Gibbs, Carroll, Milner and Lennon all coming on at some point. We narrowly lose 1-0 and nobody is sure if we learn't anything.

Edit: Thought this game was in France, not Wembley. In that case we'll draw 1-1. Bent scores.

Jermaine Jenas did very well tonight. Possible he could get recalled

Capello has been known to call up Jenas iirc. However I wouldn't be happy to see it happen, he is 4th choice centre mid at Spurs at the moment, Huddlestone would surely be a better shout.

I'd also like to see Andy Carroll get called up and play the full 90 minutes. If he is just going get be subbed on after 75 minutes in replace for Crouch, then it would be pointless even calling him up imo. I'd like to see Andy Carroll start up front alongside Darren Bent.

No comments on today's draw for the U21 finals?

Pretty tricky - we have got Spain, Czech Republic and Ukraine.

Other group is Denmark, Iceland, Belarus and Switzerland.

I don't think this is the best U21 side we've had recently so I was quite pleased to get there. That other group is shocking though although fair play they beat some decent sides along the way

Apparently Henderson, Phil Jones and Carroll not in the U21 side so could be getting a call up.

It's great to experiment with these younger players but it's kind of pointless to do it if none of them have an actual chance of making future squads and featuring.

I think Henderson does have a shout so no problem with him being in, hope he gets a bit of game time. Carroll too, why not, see how he is with a higher level of player around him. Not sure about Jones, should he really be in here and will he make any other squads anytime soon? He's picked as a midfielder?

I think what we need here is 90 minutes for Gary Cahill, he's a solid looking centre back on the fringes of the squad, could do with 90 mins for him alongside Rio/Terry for 45 mins even if it's alongside someone like Lescott for the other 45. Do we have another right back? I'd like to see them tried if we do but I don't think we bloody do :/ Glen Johnson is our number so how about someone else? I'd pick Phil Neville again tbh, maybe not for this, we know what he can do but for a competitive game I'd have him in the squad.

I agree with giving youngsters who have impressed a chance, but I don't think this is the game tbh. This is a big friendly against France and a good chance to see how we are fairing against a big nation that are also recovering from a poor world cup, not some tin pot friendly against a much lower ranked side that you would expect to walkover. I think Fabio needs to pick the strongest squad he has because it is a strong France squad, and if that includes a couple of younger players then so be it but I wouldn't do it at the expense of more senior players who could player more of a role in this campaign.

As for the U21s, I would prefer players not being taken up into the seniors to sit on the bench when they could be with the U21 squad and building for the tournament next summer, important for Pearce to have as access to as many of his players as possible when they get together instead of chopping and changing every time so there is some squad stability there and he can better gauge who he wants to take to Denmark. On the squad for Germany, Wilshere also left out so probably in senior squad, surprised Scott Sinclair has never been capped, and sure Rolfe will be pleased to see McEachran in there.

I don't think this is the best U21 side we've had recently so I was quite pleased to get there. That other group is shocking though although fair play they beat some decent sides along the way

We can add Walcott, Richards and Gibbs too to the squad. Sure there is some others too. We could have a strong side with them plus Rodwell, Henderson, Sturridge, Wilshere etc.

We can add Walcott, Richards and Gibbs too to the squad. Sure there is some others too. We could have a strong side with them plus Rodwell, Henderson, Sturridge, Wilshere etc.

True but if any of those players have a shot of making Euro 2012 then I am not sure they'll play consecutive tournaments in the summer of 2011 and 2012 which is the problem

Archived