Group C - England vs Algeria: ITV1 at 19:30

brett.spurs

That's always been my beef with Carrick, all too often I see him hiding. Don't make yourself available for the pass, point to someone else, likes to have to have too much time on the ball. A lot of the time for England his passing is too safe, probably terrified of too many wayward longer passes and getting grief for it, in that case why play him, you know?

Carrick isn't one for a battle for me, he's the kind of player we could do with, I thought going to United, playing in the Champions League would be great for England but he seems to be going backwards and Fergie all too often resting him for the big, big games and Fergie is no mug on these matters

You've never had a good word to say about Carrick tbh. Been waiting for this dip in form for years. He is more than prepared to battle defensively, but he isn't going to charge forward when on the ball, just isn't that kind of player. Makes plenty of longer passes, but only when there are players in space. Keeps the ball better than anyone else in the squad and can easily spread the play when he needs to.

Does want too much time on the ball tbf and hasn't been in the best form, but as we are struggling for possession he is our best option. Barry is overrated in that respect, although his defensive work is solid.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think he was effective for Liverpool when he was playing behind/alongside Torres a couple of years ago, and he's scored some good long range goals and likes a tackle. But I don't rate him anywhere near the best central midfield players in the world. He lacks composure and rushes things too much for my liking.

His best qualities are things like grit, determination and spirit.

Have to agree with the Adam Johnson shout. Thought he would make it into the side with his form. Seems to me he took SWP on form, but then, if he did, it should have been Johnson. But if you are looking for tricks and creativity, where in the world is Joe Cole in Capello's plan?

You've never had a good word to say about Carrick tbh. Been waiting for this dip in form for years. He is more than prepared to battle defensively, but he isn't going to charge forward when on the ball, just isn't that kind of player. Makes plenty of longer passes, but only when there are players in space. Keeps the ball better than anyone else in the squad and can easily spread the play when he needs to.

Does want too much time on the ball tbf and hasn't been in the best form, but as we are struggling for possession he is our best option. Barry is overrated in that respect, although his defensive work is solid.

Haha, I am openly not a fan of Carrick, even at his height of being good for Spurs. I haven't just piped up and starting having a pop recently.

I don't like him when he has his back to goal, which let's face it, is probably going to happen when you're fairly deep and receiving the ball from the centre backs or keeper, I don't want him to charge forward but he's supposed to be some deep lying play maker but I don't see enough adventurous enough passes from him.

As I said, in theory he'd be great but not just for United in most England performances bar Egypt he's been pretty ordinary. I don't see him attempting enough of those big passes in big matches cause I think it's easy to make the simple pass and be successful than the attacking, intricate pass he can do but doesn't want to do and it not come off time and again

If there is someone in space and an adventurous pass on then Carrick will play it. For England, that might be a problem as there is hardly ever anyone in space. My main criticism of him would be pretty much the opposite, looks for the adventurous pass often when he should keep it simple. Trying to play the perfect pass rather than the obvious one can see him take too much time and be tackled.

I don't like him when he has his back to goal, which let's face it, is probably going to happen when you're fairly deep and receiving the ball from the centre backs or keeper, I don't want him to charge forward but he's supposed to be some deep lying play maker but I don't see enough adventurous enough passes from him.

We don't need adventurous passes from him, we need him to provide a short option for the defence, receive the ball and recycle it allowing us to move forward in tandem as a team. Big adventurous passes is what we need to get away from, the opportunities to play them in international football are largely limited because teams are so disciplined defensively. We urgently need to get back to more compact football and encourage shorter passes, otherwise it's just going to be more of the same.

It's sad the way Ireland beat Paraguay and Algeria...who both drew with Italy and England respectively but are not at the world cup :(

Shouldn't have let the ball bounce in your box to allow Henry to handball it then...:p

I bet Ireland will learn to clear anything that comes inside the box from now on...

Well since you ask, he drew the best Algerian save, was involved in key build-up for a few decent chances, the quick header back to Gerrard in the second half, a couple of sliding through balls down the channel, and like I say, was the best passer and covered most ground, as you want from that role.

Hardly Lampard's fault though is it? If he's been given instruction, why go against it?

Can't expect him to do as he does for Chelsea without playing to his strengths.

Horses for courses as most people are aware in this debate. Better and more creative passer is a matter of opinion, and helping out in defence is nonsense for me really, there's a reason Capello's asked Lampard to be the more defensive one.

It's hard to convince people of Lampard's all-round game because he's become quite stereotyped over the years but all I can do is present something like this, which I'm sort of loathe to do as it's cliched and frowned upon, but it does show so many elements to his game. For me, all Gerrard has over him is a second gear of pace, and yeah, it matters, but it's not exactly the be all and end all of football.

i am not saying its his fault or that he should go against any instructions thats been given, but point out that he was so good at passing in that game when the majority of his passes were simple, short backward/sideways passes that should be completed is hardly comparable to a player who is looking to make attacking or creative passes.

no you cannot expect him to play for england as he does for chelsea unless england setup the same way and play in the same manner, how can helping out in defence be nonsense?? as you say horses for courses but in my opinion lampards defensive play is poor. if he was such a good defensive midfield player why does he not play a similar roll for chelsea...

posting a video of lampards "best clips" if you like proves nothing, after all pele was s**t wanst he, could not hit a barn door.

Shouldn't have let the ball bounce in your box to allow Henry to handball it then...:p

I bet Ireland will learn to clear anything that comes inside the box from now on...

I know, terrible defending to allow an offside player to handle it and cheat like that :(

I hope Trap gave them all the hairdryer treatment after that game

An amazing qualification, beating Germany and Holland in friendlies over this time, our star player having his best season for absolute years, I know Scots have a reputation for being miserable but if you can't have a bit of optimism after that.

The Berlin performance was impressive, as was that against Croatia. Lest not forget that Capello didn't win against Holland, in fact, his defense looked a bit like comedy gold in the first half and England had to play catch-up in the second. He also lost against, Spain, Brazil, France and Ukraine, so this was always to be taken with a grain of cautionesness. Also, it's been a while since the last good performance. It all started to go downhill a wee bit after that Croatia game. That, and that the core of the squad Capello is working with is basically England 2006 all over, except that Ferdinand is out, and Terry and Gerrard were arguably in better shape back then. Simon Kuper ("Football against the enemy", brillant book) has written a neat article for Die Welt, dunno if it's available in English too, but some of you might be familiar with German. :)

If everything goes normal, you should advance on Wednesday. However, like us against Ghana, there is a real possibilty of going out now.

• Administrators
It backs up nothing, just a lazy attempt to support a very weak argument.

a) how else do you propose I go about trying to tell people they generally have no idea what Lampard is capable of? I probably watch him more than anyone else on the forum, I think I know his game pretty well. Nobody's going to sit down and watch loads of Chelsea, encapsulating his game into a shortish video such a bad idea?

b) why do you consider it a weak argument that Lampard isn't what people assume he is?

I wouldn't consider dropping Lampard tbh. If there is an argument to drop him there is an argument to drop Gerrard as well tbh, who is quite lucky that he's the captain. Give it back to JT tbh, we did a lot better when he was captain :D

a) No idea, in fact it's a totally fruitless exercise so if i were you i wouldn't bother. But i can assure you that youtube best-bits are not the way. Same reason why i never get into a discussion with anyone who dismisses Gerrard as a headless chicken.

b) It's a weak argument because your arguments were weak?? All you said was matter of opinion this, he is stereotyped that, and then posted a video.

And to think there are people, most notably a heavy contingent of those hacks in the England camp looking to undermine Capello at every given opportunity, who want this clown as the England manager.

Herein is the problem with the England football team. A bunch of incredibly twisted, bitter, cynical and lazy hacks who have little else to do but to build people and hopes up beyond anything plausible, realistic or reasonable, before destroying them in double-quick time. They have their favourites (e.g. Venables in the past, Redknapp now; various players, most notably Gerrard), who are untouchable. Anyone else is cannon-fodder.

The press are responsible for the ridiculous expectation that surrounds the England team every couple of years, which in turn whups the public into a frenzy.

• Administrators
a) No idea, in fact it's a totally fruitless exercise so if i were you i wouldn't bother. But i can assure you that youtube best-bits are not the way. Same reason why i never get into a discussion with anyone who dismisses Gerrard as a headless chicken.

b) It's a weak argument because your arguments were weak?? All you said was matter of opinion this, he is stereotyped that, and then posted a video.

Fair enough, I probably shouldn't bother, as long as he's good for Chelsea I don't really care what else happens.

b) I can't really prove fact where it's opinion based, I just offered some token evidence to try to provoke thought, I'm not likely to say "here you go" and expect people to suddenly think differently. If people choose to see Lampard as they evidently do, more fool them ultimately.

I must say I don't like how close to the players, even in the league, some of the journos are. Always little leaks and tittle-tattle coming from within the squad and various teams or via agents

Yeah there's a lot of this. Oliver Kay coming out with all this shizzle on his Twitter feed about Capello having no idea who his goalie was on the morning of the USA match. Just blatant cack-stirring. The fact he couldn't substantiate this and consistently spouts total nonsense just illustrates the point.

There were as many reports about Green being stuck with by Capello as there were James. Rumours of Defoe starting. They know nothing. I am sure they watch the training and decide what to write based on who is training with the first team and for how long

The Berlin performance was impressive, as was that against Croatia. Lest not forget that Capello didn't win against Holland, in fact, his defense looked a bit like comedy gold in the first half and England had to play catch-up in the second. He also lost against, Spain, Brazil, France and Ukraine, so this was always to be taken with a grain of cautionesness. Also, it's been a while since the last good performance..

Yeah I know that, I wasn't suggesting that I thought we'd definitely win the World Cup which Wilson seems to think all England fans were thinking with his delusions of grandeur line, most probably thought we had a bit of a chance if we face Spain/Brazil on an off day. France and Ukraine results were poor yeah and probably the main blips, not sure any England fan thought we were better than Spain or Brazil and those results were expected.

I thought we beat Holland 2-1 with Defoe getting 2 in the 2nd half? Was it 2-2 then?

We'd already qualified when we played Ukraine, Rob Green also got sent off. France was one of Capello's first games in charge

2-2 vs Dutch, we basically gave them 2 goals, Rio sliding one to their striker IIRC and can't remember the other, was equally woeful

Dunno what else to expect from a player in deep role. 47 of Xavi's 68 passes against Switzerland fit the same description, a greater percentage, for example.

Um yeah, certainly the same thing.

Except!

Oh wait. Xavi played ahead of two defensive midfielders, so perhaps he's more comparable to Gerrard. Also the two teams play a pretty different style don't they? I mean Ramos was near the Swiss box most of the times he received a ball from Xavi so you can easily strike the 9 passes from that statistic. In fact, Xavi barely ever went into his own half. Check the heatmaps.

Compare against Van Bommel and see what you find if you like.

Carragher was woeful, everytime someone attacks him the first thing I think of is he's going to give away his penalty. The guy can't tackle for his life and is always going to be beaten for pace like when Altidore raped him. Where have people gotten the impression he was solid? Because England didn't concede? Don't know how he's in instead of Dawson to be honest

I know this is probably pointless because nobody seems to like Lampard as much as Gerrard, but I shall say it anyway.

I don't see how he can be criticised for being effectively played out of position, people seem obsessed with bringing Gerrard into the middle and building a team around him when Lampard was clearly the better player last season, only a crazy person could argue against that imo. And please notice I said last season, debating who is better is a never ending argument.

And the best thing to come from the Algeria game was the Carragher ban. I'm a Dawson fan, Upson is left footed so would want Terry's slot in the defence which isn't an option for me.

I agree with matt there. If you look at over the last 5/6 seasons, the highest scoring player in the Premier League consistently was Frank Lampard. Why don't we stick him in the same role that he plays for at Chelsea?

Why are we obsessed with Gerrard, who, lets face it, has had a miserable two seasons?

Miserable two seasons? He was great the season before last, it was only the season just gone where the wheels fell off.

i think one of the problems we have with no Ferdinand is we haven't got anyone who carry the ball out of defence, which in turn pushes the whole team up the pitch. Because Carragher and Terry both lack pace they sit deeper to compensate and in turn drag the rest team back a few yards towards our goal with them. Probably wouldn't have made much difference in this game tbf as the whole team was so inept.

Yeah Woody would have been good. Had a good injury free couple of years before this season, shame that. Scholes would have been awesome, I wish I never knew he considered the recall- just becomes more of a tease. Can imagine him sending great balls to set Lennon free.

A fit Hargreaves- who for me is better than Barry, a fit Rio, Scholes in the team, a fit Beckham- I bet he would have set up a goal last night, even a fit in form Brown (from 2008). *sighs*

Yeah Woody would have been good. Had a good injury free couple of years before this season, shame that. Scholes would have been awesome, I wish I never knew he considered the recall- just becomes more of a tease. Can imagine him sending great balls to set Lennon free.

A fit Hargreaves- who for me is better than Barry, a fit Rio, Scholes in the team, a fit Beckham- I bet he would have set up a goal last night, even a fit in form Brown (from 2008). *sighs*

You think all the stick Becks has taken over the years, and still gets from certain quarters, but he wouldn't have shyed away last night.

And for all the talk of the pace we have on the right wing with Lennon, SWP, Walcott no good breezing past people if you can't cross a ball. Plus Beckham was probably the best captain we have had for years.

I wouldn't have started him if he was fit, but I think he would have been very effective for 20mins each game. I know that's a criticism thats been aimed a lot at Lennon in the past and rightly so, but he has improved his final delivery a lot this season, he is much improved.

Two issues really are

1) is he he still fully fit? he was absolutely flying before he picked up his injury earlier in the season.

2) as has been discussed in the England thread, the England team don't really play to his strengths, so he looks limited.

I just think its the consistancy of the crossing thats the problem. At international level you have to get it right more often then you get it wrong and Lennon just isn't quite their yet, but he is young and crossing is a trainable skill.

England for some reason unbeknownst to me, don't play to anyones strengths lol.

I don't think poor delivery can be thrown at Lennon over these two games, from what I remember on the very few occasions that he's been in a position to cross the ball, he's done fairly well. It seems as though when someone isn't sure what to say about him they just say his delivery was crap. He just can't get into the game at all for the numerous reasons I've stated in the other thread.

I'd have had Beckham in this squad if he didn't get injured, he would got some crosses in

Archived