Zero point for nil-nil?

jxd

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't like this idea but definitely think it should be...

0 points for a loss

1 point for 0-0

2 points for scoring draw

5 points for win

It's 5 for a win to encourage teams to go all out. Would be more exciting but not necessarily fairer. Definitely puts the emphasis on winning games though which is what sport should be about.

EDIT: This would only work over a long season... would definitely not be fair in mini groups like WC and Champions League.

Because they could put up an outstanding defensive display get a 0-0 and get a point...

The point of the game is score more than your opponents. If 0-0 is so great why bother playing? The match starts out as 0-0 already, might as well sit in the center circle for 90 minutes.

what a stupid idea

no doubt only influenced by tv , not sure if you are aware mate but football was played well before tv came along so 0-0 is still a draw worth a point

how would you feel if your team drew 0-0 with brazil and you got zero points and let's say australia lose 6-0 to brazil and finished above you because you didn't collect that extra point?

Stupid idea really, really stupid.....

What would stop each team allowing the other to score thus starting 1-1 and each able to gain their points if it remains a draw, where do you people come from?

That's an interesting game theory. If you let the other team score first, would you trust them to return the favor? What if they were in desperate need of 3 points?

what a stupid idea

no doubt only influenced by tv , not sure if you are aware mate but football was played well before tv came along so 0-0 is still a draw worth a point

Except teams actually tried to outscore their opponents back in the pre TV era.

how would you feel if your team drew 0-0 with brazil and you got zero points and let's say australia lose 6-0 to brazil and finished above you because you didn't collect that extra point?

First, GD still counts. Second, how would you feel if Brazil finish below AUS because AUS scored a lucky goal on their only shot in the match, and Brazil drew 0-0 because their opponent parked the bus.

I like that idea. Would stamp out the ultra negative tactics. Teams will at least have to try to score if they want get some points out of the game.

And again its suicidal for a team totally outclassed like North Korea to have to go and try and attack someone like Brazil who would have a nice easy team hitting them on the break time and time again. 0-0 gives them something to aim for.

Except teams actually tried to outscore their opponents back in the pre TV era.

First, GD still counts. Second, how would you feel if Brazil finish below AUS because AUS scored a lucky goal on their only shot in the match, and Brazil drew 0-0 because their opponent parked the bus.

I'd say well done Australia for winning their game..

That's an interesting game theory. If you let the other team score first, would you trust them to return the favor? What if they were in desperate need of 3 points?

The idea would never be implemented anyway but I imangine would work just like giving the ball back which happens in the same manner.

No, and how is this relevant?

Because a lot of American sports fans can't comprehend the idea of a game being enjoyable despite no or low scoring. If you were I'd write the stupidity of this idea off as simply a difference in culture.

Ridiculous idea. I've seen plenty of positive minded games that ended 0-0, why punish teams who are unlucky?

Why reward teams for being so negative? For every "unlucky" teams, there are two negative ones.

Awful idea. Just awful.

The next step in point re-structuring is surely the Bonus Point system of scoring a certain amount of goals. Say three. But to stop someone getting a point because a game ended 0-0 is an awful idea. I've seen 0-0 games that have been more exciting that 3-0 or 4-0 games! I have certainly seen 0-0 games be better than 1-0 games.

This World Cup has been dominated by teams trying not to lose the opening game, even the bigger nations have been doing it. So anything that encourages end-to-end football would get my vote. Back in the olden days teams used to play 2-3-5 formations and always had the philosophy of scoring one more than the opposition. Today the emphasis seems to be trying to concede less.

Some people have said that 0-0 draws can be exciting which is true, but some of the games in this tournament have been very boring.

Awful idea. Just awful.

The next step in point re-structuring is surely the Bonus Point system of scoring a certain amount of goals. Say three. But to stop someone getting a point because a game ended 0-0 is an awful idea. I've seen 0-0 games that have been more exciting that 3-0 or 4-0 games! I have certainly seen 0-0 games be better than 1-0 games.

The 0-0 games that were exciting is because both teams tried to score. I'm pretty sure two teams playing 5-4-1 formation doesn't produce those exciting 0-0 games. The point of jxd's idea is to dis-encourage teams that plan for a 0-0 draw with ultra defensive tactics.

Very rare you get two negative teams in the same match. 0-0 doesn't suggest both teams was negative.

Exactly, all it takes is to have one negative team. This idea removes most of the incentives for negativity (you can still be negative out of pure spite).

This World Cup has been dominated by teams trying not to lose the opening game, even the bigger nations have been doing it. So anything that encourages end-to-end football would get my vote. Back in the olden days teams used to play 2-3-5 formations and always had the philosophy of scoring one more than the opposition. Today the emphasis seems to be trying to concede less.

Some people have said that 0-0 draws can be exciting which is true, but some of the games in this tournament have been very boring.

Really? Has anyone ever gone into start a match with 5 strikers on the pitch? Really?

Maybe not zero points for a 0-0, but people shouldn't write off a system change completely. Wasn't THAT long ago we were still playing 2 points for a win, don't forget.

And wasn't that long again keepers can pick up backpasses, I wonder why that got changed.

Stupid idea really, really stupid.....

What would stop each team allowing the other to score thus starting 1-1 and each able to gain their points if it remains a draw, where do you people come from?

Good luck convincing the other team to let you score first.

So when a weaker team battles and gets a 0-0 they actually get nothing, some reward that, why not attack the better team ... oh, yeah, that's why.

Basically favours the bigger nations and erm, no thanks

Wrong, it favors the BETTER teams, just the way it should be.

Archived