SI Community Challenge #1 - The Luton challenge: -30 to safety

• SI Staff

The Luton challenge: -30 to safety

Background

Has anyone in football ever suffered the fall from grace which Luton have? After a successful first season in the Championship following promotion from League 1 saw Luton finish in 10th place narrowly missing out on the play off’s confidence was high that maybe the team was going places.

However it was the start of the downturn, key players were sold and questions about the activities of the people running the club saw the club have a poor start to the 06/07 season and following comments about the running of the club manager Mike Newell was sacked in March. The move was not popular with fans and calls for chairman Bill Tomlins to leave increased. Kevin Blackwell was brought in and the club couldn’t get out of its poor form on the pitch and relegation to League 1 followed.

The summer saw a change of chairman with racing driver David Pinkney buying Tomlins shares in the club, players we’re brought in on high wages and despite high expectations players failed to perform and the club found itself in mid table. However then worse came in November when David Pinkney dumped the club in administration, 10 points were deducted and wages deferred. A superb spirit in the FA cup forcing a replay against Liverpool at Anfield saved the club but sale of key players to fund the club saw league form stay poor and Kevin Blackwell walked out. Luton legend Mick Harford came in but couldn’t turn it round as a poor squad of players that didn’t want to be here saw the club relegated down to League 2.

The only positive from the last season had been the new owners coming in called LTFC 2020. A consortium of Luton fans and businessmen fronted by TV personality Nick Owen gained control, however the shocking management of the past saw the wage bill be slashed to balance the books and a whole new squad was required. That wasn’t the worst challenge however.

Firstly the FA decided payments out of the wrong accounts to agents to deceive Mike Newell made by ex chairman Bill Tomlins was worthy of a 10 points deduction for the League 2 campaign, then even worse followed with a 20 point deduction followed from the football league as Luton officially left administration.

The club in a very short period build a squad of players ready for the league 2 campaign starting on minus 30 points, surely the most difficult task facing any side this season.

Scenario

The Luton board know there’s one way the club can fight back, stay in the football league. Relegation to the Blue Square premier could see the club fall off the football radar. They’ve decided you, an inexperienced manager with no previous management jobs are the person to take on the challenge.

The boards main requirement is survival, you are expected to keep the club up despite the points deduction. Any cup run is a bonus but reaching the 3rd round of the FA cup could obviously see financial reward and a good cup run can help moral with this in mind reaching the final of the Johnstone’s paint trophy at Wembley could see more reward for the club.

The club however can’t stay up at any cost, the club needs to become financially sustainable to survive in the long run so the board would like to offload some of the reaming high paid players and see the club at least break even. It’s all an art of balancing financial stability and on pitch performance.

Rules

- Must start with past experience of ‘Sunday league footballer’

- Any leagues and database size may be loaded

Points will be rewarded for the following criteria:

- League survival – 50 points

- Top half finish – 65 points

- Beaten play off’s – 80 points

- Promotion – 90 points

- Title winner – 100 points

- Reach the 3rd round of FA cup – 20 points

- Reach the final of the Johnstone’s Paint Trophy – 20 points

- Make a profit in the 08/09 season – 20 points

- Reduce the wage bill by £10,000 a week – 15 points

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is the first in a series of 'official' challenges, aimed at bringing together people from various forums to take part in and discuss their achievements.

Every month or so there will be a new challenge put up, posted by various members of the SI community, so if you have any great ideas send me a PM and there might be a chance it is used in the future.

Can anyone who did this as part of the 20/20 challenge submit that as their effort for this if they had their previous experience as sunday league player? If so I can get them to send you their information.

Just started my game, after 2 games (1 league away at Bradford, 1 League cup at home to Wolves) i can see myself getting hooked, so thanks for getting me to start!

A penalties win against Wolves was fantastic!

The rewards for my efforts against Wolves? First out of the hat in the second round, at home to Man City!

Just started my game, after 2 games (1 league away at Bradford, 1 League cup at home to Wolves) i can see myself getting hooked, so thanks for getting me to start!

A penalties win against Wolves was fantastic!

The rewards for my efforts against Wolves? First out of the hat in the second round, at home to Man City!

That's a really good start for you!

These challenges are a great idea, because I can't really start a career game when I know that a new patch will be out in due course. So this will keep me going.

Will start this challenge now. :thup:

I'd quite like to do this on 07, tbh... I can swap Juventus with Luton and then adjust the budgets, reputation, players and wages etc. so that I'm in the same boat. If somebody would post screenies of the Luton squad (ever player, plus the list which shows their wage and contract expiry date, which is Players>View>Contract) and the finance screen (or alternatively PM me them).

If 07 is deemed "too easy" then I won't bother.

Is there a time scale to complete these challenges ?

I am interested in doing them , but I am currently enjoying a career game with Redditch :)

The thread will remain open, but after a month or so the links will be removed, it will be unstickied and replaced with a new one.

Thanks Dafuge, now i really cannot wait until Christmas! Every edition i get on xmas ( the last 5 or so) i lock myself in the computer room and dont talk to anyone or appreciate any of the other presents. This Luton challenge seems ideal to me. However, i am still abit anxious about whether the game will work on my aging computer, only time will tell!

Drew Reading in the Carling Cup First Round.

On another note, this challenge is hard (not surprising since it is called a challenge.) Trying to get people off the wage bill is tough but there are few people with big wages so getting rid of them should be okay and should not upset the rest of the squad

Drew Reading in the Carling Cup First Round.

On another note, this challenge is hard (not surprising since it is called a challenge.) Trying to get people off the wage bill is tough but there are few people with big wages so getting rid of them should be okay and should not upset the rest of the squad

Yeah i've only managed to sell one so far though, hoping when January comes round i'll be able to shift a couple more. Not doing too badly at the moment, lost 1-0 to Man City at home in the second round of the League Cup, an early Robinho goal did it! Taken 12 points from 8 games so far which isn't brilliant, but hopefully i'll improve!

I'm just starting my attempt, although this really isn't suited to the way I usually play so it could be a bit of a disaster.

I've gone for just the English leagues, with a large database.

Here's my manager profile

Looking at the points system, I think I'm going to prioritise the cup competitions in the hope of bringing in a bit of money, I'll just wait and see what happens in the league.

I'm just starting my attempt, although this really isn't suited to the way I usually play so it could be a bit of a disaster.

I've gone for just the English leagues, with a large database.

Here's my manager profile

Looking at the points system, I think I'm going to prioritise the cup competitions in the hope of bringing in a bit of money, I'll just wait and see what happens in the league.

Did you use the FM editor because you look like a regen and you are only 28 years old (i thought if you put your age under 30 the game just puts you as a 30 year old!)?

Did you use the FM editor because you look like a regen and you are only 28 years old (i thought if you put your age under 30 the game just puts you as a 30 year old!)?

The picture was added manually, I've posted a link to a thread with some pictures that can be used.

The game only resets your age if you set it to younger than 25.

This pre season schedule really is just a money making exercise isn't it?

Can't see us picking up anything apart from the Blyth game.

In effect, yes. But I have finished pre-season and having lost 1-0 to Coventry, 2-1 to Doncaster and Ipswich, I picked up 3 wins, against Eastleigh (only 2-1, unfortunately, but morale took a hammering after these three losses so it was good to get the first win), Northampton, in League 1, and a surprise 1-0 win against Norwich, with Sam Parkin picking up the winner in the 86th.

I also got West Ham as a Parent Club, and they gave me Marek Stech for the rest of the season, and I also decided to pick up Jack Collison and Zavon Hines on 3 month loans for free. However, I still haven't shifted anybody off the wage bill but those pre-season games have put £200k in the bank balance.

I also forgot to put a profile picture on the website, so here it is. Best of luck everybody else. I will update again soon.

EDIT: I just sold Lewis Emanuel for 26k, but more importantly that is 2k off the wage budget. Another 8k to go

In effect, yes. But I have finished pre-season and having lost 1-0 to Coventry, 2-1 to Doncaster and Ipswich, I picked up 3 wins, against Eastleigh (only 2-1, unfortunately, but morale took a hammering after these three losses so it was good to get the first win), Northampton, in League 1, and a surprise 1-0 win against Norwich, with Sam Parkin picking up the winner in the 86th.

I also got West Ham as a Parent Club, and they gave me Marek Stech for the rest of the season, and I also decided to pick up Jack Collison and Zavon Hines on 3 month loans for free. However, I still haven't shifted anybody off the wage bill but those pre-season games have put £200k in the bank balance.

I also forgot to put a profile picture on the website, so here it is. Best of luck everybody else. I will update again soon.

EDIT: I just sold Lewis Emanuel for 26k, but more importantly that is 2k off the wage budget. Another 8k to go

I kept Emanuel and managed to get him to sign a new contract on lower wages, same with someone else but can't remember who. Gonna try and shift Spring and Morgan in January. Got Chelsea as my feeder club who sent me Carl Magnay who's doing a good job, shame they won't give me anyone else! Also signed Kinkladze but he's been a terrible acquisition!

Archived