SI Community Challenge #1 - The Luton challenge: -30 to safety

You got Chelsea as a feeder club! :D lol

Woops, meant parent club! Sorry!

And i would Dafuge, tried playing him in behind both strikers, had no luck. Tried giving him a lot of creative freedom, did even worse. Best i had him was coming off the bench in the AMC role, but still only looking at a 6.5.

Edit: His average rating overall is 6.29

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pre Season

Luton 0-6 Werder Bremen
Blyth 0-2 Luton
Luton 1-2 Charlton
Luton 2-5 Porto
Luton 0-6 Tottenham
Luton 0-3 Bolton
Luton 1-4 Sunderland
Luton 5-2 Luton Reserves

As expected, we got hammered by the big teams and just about beat Blyth. We led Charlton for a while but eventually lost to a 90th minute goal. Despite the hammerings, it has done wonders for the finances, helping us make a profit of around £500k for July.

Transfers

I tried to be aggressive in the transfer market but found it really hard to sell anyone or sign anyone who could improve the squad. I'm sure there will still be some new faces as we move into the start of the season.

Squad Stats

Freddy Sears was the star of the pre season with a stunning 7 goals from 6 games. He could be crucial to our season.

Thought i'd have to quit this challenge after my computer decided to randomly restart it's self and i didn't think i'd saved for awhile. Just loaded it up and it auto-saved a few days before the FA Cup match against Huddersfield, so gonna go on holiday to the day after that match and then carry on.

I've just brought in a transfer listed Stuart Fleetwood, who has scored two on his league debut and could well be a bit of a bargain...however, he's put my over my wage budget.

If only I could get rid of a certain player in my reserves who is stealing 3k a week ;)

I've just brought in a transfer listed Stuart Fleetwood, who has scored two on his league debut and could well be a bit of a bargain...however, he's put my over my wage budget.

If only I could get rid of a certain player in my reserves who is stealing 3k a week ;)

Snap, he's been great for me as well.

That reserve player for me has taken a pay cut, he might even get a game.

Don't you just love games like this? :cool:

Snap, he's been great for me as well.

That reserve player for me has taken a pay cut, he might even get a game.

Don't you just love games like this? :cool:

I do indeed :)

After I offered him mutual termination he doesn't seem too keen on taking a paycut...

I don't want to speak too soon or jinx it but, this is currently playing out a little more easily than I thought it would.

Edit: I only went and jinxed it.....ouch

I do indeed :)

After I offered him mutual termination he doesn't seem too keen on taking a paycut...

I don't want to speak too soon or jinx it but, this is currently playing out a little more easily than I thought it would.

Wish mine would, just lost 3-1 away at Dagenham after taken the lead!

Got Fleetwood coming in January where i also hope to drag in a couple on loan too. Mr McVeigh will also be on his way in January.

August

Rotherham 0-2 Luton
Luton     2-1 Colchester (Carling Cup 1st round)
Luton     2-0 Darlington
Aldershot 1-2 Luton
Luton     0-3 Blackburn (Carling Cup 2nd round)
Luton     1-0 Bury

Couldn't ask for much more in the league, although there were a couple of very close wins. The Carling Cup gave us a decent draw as we knocked out League 1 Colchester but Blackburn were just too good for us.

League Table

Completely irrelevant at this stage but it is nice to see that we would be top if it wasn't for the points deduction.

Transfers

A couple more players were brought in to cover the wing positions and a lot of youth players were released. We are doing pretty well on the wages front now, with enough wage cuts to take us £8.75k p/w under budget.

Squad

The two strikers are carrying the team at the moment, hopefully the wingers will start to contribute a bit more but it is still an area I think we need to strengthen. Kinkladze is out for a couple of months which gives me a chance to try someone else out in the dreaded AMC role.

The boy to keep me up?

First game in January, Fleetwood on his debut bags two goals to help me defeat 5th placed Bradford! Now on -2 points, maybe a chance of staying up!

Fleetwood is a legend already in my eyes.

I'll post my update tomorrow :)

September

Luton   0-0 (5-3 pens) Hereford (Johnstone's Paint Trophy 1st round)
Grimsby 4-0 Luton
Luton   2-0 Wycombe
Luton   5-2 Accrington
Luton   0-1 Dag & Red

It was good to get through against League 1 Hereford but out league form took a dip this month. League leaders Grimsby dished out a thumping and we somehow managed to lose at home to the Daggers.

League Table

Still early days but it looks like we are catching the teams above us.

Squad

Fleetwood is the star of the show so far.

The wage cutting is going well, we are now £11.75k p/w under budget, however the financial situation is taking a turn for the worse with us losing around £90k a month.

Gonna get to the end of January then do a full update for you all

Well i'd hoped by the time i was writing this i'd be in the positive points and on the way up, but it appears not!

League Table

As you can see, it's gonna be a battle right to the end!

The season started reasonably well, i'd taken 12 points from 8 matches and was thinking positivley. I'd beaten Wolves at their ground on penalties, and then fought to a near 1-0 loss to Man City. Yet things took a serious downturn and morale got low.

Since then i've been battling on trying to string results together and it just hasn't happened! I shall give you all another update towards the end of the season!

Transfers

Squad Stats

October

Morecambe    1-0 Luton
Dag & Red    0-1 Luton (Johnstone's Paint Trophy 2nd round)
Chesterfield 1-0 Luton
Luton        3-2 Brentford
Bradford     1-2 Luton
Luton        1-2 Port Vale
Shrewsbury   0-1 Luton

A frustrating month with three losses by just a single goal.

League Table

Those losses have hurt my chances but Wycombe are struggling so there's still a chance of catching them

Squad

Sears has been disappointing, although he clearly has the talent to do better than that. We have missed Kinkladze who will be back next month.

Christophe Aubanel

Due to sign in January, he could be the answer to my lack of creativity in midfield. My scouts think he is a good Premier League player. He could cost me the wage budget bonus though.

Well from now Until the 5th of January theres just me in the office and I was trying to find a "constructive" Challenge to keep me entertained and it appears to be here. So for on the second time in my fm career im going to manage a team other than Liverpool!. Here goes the next 2 weeks......

November

Luton      2-1 Rochdale
Luton      2-3 Brighton (Johnstone's Paint Trophy quarter final)
Luton      1-0 Millwall (FA Cup 1st round)
Notts Co   0-0 Luton
Luton      1-1 Chester
Gillingham 1-1 Luton
Luton      0-0 Scunthorpe (FA Cup 2nd round)

A mixed month with a great win over Millwall but three draws where we really should have won. The JPT campaign came to an end at the hands of League 1 Brighton but the FA Cup dream is still alive (just) with a replay against Scunthorpe coming up.

League Table

Nice to hit zero but we lost quite a few points this month with the draws.

Transfers

After a couple of injuries I decided to bulk out the squad with a few short term loan signings which should see me through to January where Christophe Aubanel and Andrea Orlandi will be signing.

Squad

The loan signings have sorted out my midfield but there's still not a lot of goals from the strikers.

Mini-Update - November 9th

League Table

After 15 games we've managed to win 12 of them, draw 2, and lose 1 (the 6-0 defeat documented earlier). This gives us a total of +8 points and puts us one point from safety in a great run of form. I have decided to attack this challenge, as the 32 goals scored demonstrate. Points mean prizes after all...

FA Cup - Through to the second round after beating Southend 2-1

Transfers

Best Players

Stuart Fleetwood 14 Games/9 Goals

Sam Parkin

Vladimir Weiss

Claude Gnakpa

December

Luton        2-2 Luton
Scunthorpe   2-4 Luton (FA Cup 2nd round replay)
Macclesfield 2-2 Luton
Luton        1-2 Barnet
Bournemouth  0-0 Luton
Luton        2-1 Exeter

Another highly frustrating month in the league as we threw away a load of points by either drawing or losing matches we were dominating. Stuart Fleetwood grabbed a hattrick as we beat Scunthorpe to reach the third round of the FA Cup where we will meet Man City at home. Although a win would be great, a draw might be the best result in order to make the most of the gate receipts.

League Table

Still bottom and despite our good start it now looks close as to whether we can stay up. All will depend on whether we keep throwing points away.

Squad

As you can see I have suffered a bit of an injury crisis, having to play the last few games without a recognised striker. Now I know how David Moyes feels.

Next month should be interesting with the FA Cup third round, the two new signings arriving and the opening of the transfer window where I'm going to have to try and get a striker on loan.

He played fantastically for me up until mid-November when he seemed to lose all concept of passing. He started attempting cross field balls...when there was no one there so they always ended up with the opposition Striker. He then picked up an injury for 6 weeks and came back as good as he initially was.

Also popped up with a couple of goals, that frankly could only be described as "rockets" from the edge of the area.

I was cursing myself for going out early in the cups after seeing the draws i would have got..

League Cup...if i'd have beaten Man City in the close match, i'd have gotten Arsenal.

Fa Cup..if i'd have beaten Huddersfield, i'd have gotten Colchester at home...a winnable match, followed by Liverpool away! But oh well!!

My pre season didnt go according to plan at all :-(. I took a pasting from all the premier leauge teams but picked up no injurys which was helpful. Was planning to start my season today, walk into work sit down and my director decides while theres only 4 of us in the department he's going to come and sit with us!

Now he's a resonable guy and its pretty quiet but Im not takin the risk of sittin here playin fotty manager. On the plus Im off 2moro. Got tottenham as my feeder team but Id already got a quaility loan signing (name escapes me but he's a capped welsh international!) and now Im not allowed any more:-( How are other people dealing with this?

January

Luton      1-3 Man City (FA Cup 3rd round)
Luton      2-0 Rotherham
Darlington 3-3 Luton
Luton      0-3 Aldershot
Luton      3-1 Grimsby

Man City totally dominated us and we were lucky to get away with that scoreline. Robinho tore us apart, grabbing a hattrick. The league form is picking up although the Aldershot result was a bit weird.

Still bottom, although in touching distance of the clubs above now.

My squad is going to be decimated soon as the three month loans expire, I'll have to see if there's any more I can bring in.

The wage control was going well until Dean Morgan returned from his loan on the last day of the transfer window on his massive wages.

February

Luton      1-0 Morecambe
Accrington 1-2 Luton
Bury       1-2 Luton
Dag & Red  1-1 Luton
Wycombe    0-0 Luton
Luton      5-3 Bradford
Luton      1-1 Chesterfield

A fantastic unbeaten month. There's still a few draws where we should be winning but it was good to come through that run of away games without a loss.

League Table

The job's not quite done but things are looking good. I don't think a top half finish will be possible though.

Squad

The loan signings have gone and have not been replaced, mainly due to the form of new signing Christophe Aubanel. Stuart Fleetwood has been on good form and looks set to hit 20 league goals.

Update - Jan 4th 2009

We've just lost our 3rd Round FA Cup game 2-0 to Man City. Expected, but there's always that little hope that you can salvage a draw.

The league remains very positive though, we are the top scorers and sit 10 points from the playoffs which i'm chuffed about.

Finances are becoming a little worrying - I think I need to either cut certain players wages and/or sell some players. I'm confident of safety and perhaps even a top half finish. I don't know if it is actually possible to sort out the finances in a season though.

OK guys I decided to give this a go. I had to drag myself away from my Tranmere save but here I am

Heres my manager profile - http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w79/dave_riley86/manager.jpg

I started the game late last night and so far my progress so far has been quite good with 5 wins 2 draws and 2 defeats from the opening 9 league games.

Here is the league table - http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w79/dave_riley86/lgetableoct08.jpg

I'm stuggling a bit with the finances mainly due to my inabilty to offload players and lower the wage budget, but I'm sure that come January I'll be able to do something about this.

BTW this is a cracking challenge and I'm hoping to see more of these.

Archived