World Cup Betting Thread - with as much discussion as possible!

gillsminnow

• Replies 963
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've had a bet at William Hill on the teams to finish bottom of their groups. Most of them are straight forward barring two which will be arguable. Anyway, I went for:

Cameroon: 8/13. (a)

Australia: 1/4 (b)

Greece: 6/4 ©

Costa Rica: 1/10 (d)

Honduras: 2/7 (e)

Iran: 4/9 (f)

USA: 10/11 (g)

Algeria: 4/6 (h)

£3.10 returns £102.

I jumped on that Messi top goalscorer price that was mentioned in the betting thread and also done the following group forecast for who'll progress from each group (on bet365) -

Brazil and Mexico 6/4

Spain and Chile 15/8

Colombia and Japan 9/4

Uruguay and Italy 15/8

France and Ecuador 15/8

Argentina and Bosnia 1/1

Germany and Portugal 4/6

Belgium and Russia 4/6

50p returns £440 ish.

Will probably also do some sort of acca on group winners/qualifiers and possibly one on who'll finish bottom per group.

Benzema at 33/1 could be a decent shout for Golden Boot, is in form for both club and country and France have a nice group which provided they win it would be followed up with the runner up in Argentina's group. I'd have thought France won't be sharing the goals around too much either unlike Argentina for example.

Benzema at 33/1 could be a decent shout for Golden Boot, is in form for both club and country and France have a nice group which provided they win it would be followed up with the runner up in Argentina's group. I'd have thought France won't be sharing the goals around too much either unlike Argentina for example.

I had a top scorer bet on him during the Euros. Also had a massive bet on him to be France's top scorer. How many goals? Zero, ****ing zero. Not that I disagree with him being a good choice, but there's no chance I'm going to bet on him this time :D

Haven't done anything yet but eggs are going to be firmly in the Messi basket - top scorer @ 8/1, Argentina @ 5/1 and Messi/Argentina @ 16/1. Hopefully there'll be some decent enhanced prices about though, Paddy Power most likely.

I think whoever starts for Colombia upfront could be a potential bet for top scorer with the group they have

so that could be Falcao which is probably unlikely due to the injury he suffered in January (he's 25-1 up to 40-1 with some) or maybe Jackson Martinez who has been in great form for Porto this year and is a pretty good 50-1 going up to 80-1 with some bookies. Potential to go further if they top C as they'd play the runner up of D which is winnable

Edin Dzeko is 80/1 for the Golden Boot on Paddy Power so I'm going E/W on him. Nigeria and Iran in the group stages so he could have 3/4 by then and if they come 2nd the best team they would face would probably be France in the next round. Obviously coming into it in good form as well.

I jumped on that Messi top goalscorer price that was mentioned in the betting thread and also done the following group forecast for who'll progress from each group (on bet365) -

Brazil and Mexico 6/4

Spain and Chile 15/8

Colombia and Japan 9/4

France and Ecuador 15/8

Argentina and Bosnia 1/1

Germany and Portugal 4/6

Belgium and Russia 4/6

50p returns £440 ish.

Will probably also do some sort of acca on group winners/qualifiers and possibly one on who'll finish bottom per group.

oh dear so is group D (Italy, Uruguay, England and C.Rica) abandoned then.

That's good for group C then who I guess will go straight to quarter finals.

Stuck a tenner on Dzeko to score 4 or more goals in the tournament with Skybet at 40/1. Was one of the countdown offers.

Also same amount on at leats 1 European team to progress from each group. Hoping Greece and Croatia get through as the others are more certain.

EDIT: A few folk have asked where the Dzeko offer is.....Its no longer available as they took it down along with a number of other countdown offers this afternoon.

Stuck a tenner on Dzeko to score 4 or more goals in the tournament with Skybet at 40/1. Was one of the countdown offers.

Also same amount on at leats 1 European team to progress from each group. Hoping Greece and Croatia get through as the others are more certain.

What does that return?

Not had a full look at betting yet but Uruguay at 28/1 to win is an interesting each way punt. With the World Cup being in Brazil it will give all the South American teams (maybe not Ecuador though) a chance to progress to the latter stages. The main money will obviously be on Argentina and Brazil but the spotlight will be on those 2 more and maybe a dark horse will find the going a little easier with the pressure off.

From a fiver? It's not a bad bet, only one I'm concerned about is Croatia.

Nope, tenner as well. It was 39/1. Its a good shout providing Greece and Croatia get through. Pretty confident on the other groups.

Any value in RVP top scorer at 33/1? Not a straight forward group but I think he could grab a few. Chile play quite an open game so he should get chances. Australia not the best of teams so could get a couple there. If they can top the group ahead of Spain I think they can have a decent run.

Obvious problems around his fitness but trying to find an outside bet worth taking a chance on rather than just going with Messi

Had my first real look at the World Cup groups and a first prediction of what I think is likely today.

The 4 shortest odds teams to make the quarter final are the 4 I have definitely there (Brazil, Germany, Argentina, Spain), but the odds for all 4 to do it is just over 4/1 at bet365 which is higher than I expected, so this is bet #1. Edit, except it's not because I'm not allowed to do it as an accy :bowdown:

Me and some mates have teamed up for a laugh. All chipped in a tenner each (12 of us) and opened a 365 account. I've made a spreadsheet to track all of us, each person is free to bet their £10 and any winnings how they like but whatever is in the account at the end of the World Cup we split evenly. 100% bonus from 365 too.

Archived