What is your Opinion on Best leagues to play in FM and why?

ANUBUS

I apologize if this has already been asked but i didnt find it anywhere.

For me its France and Italy as the teams and divisions are very evenly matched.

Italy has so many great teams yes Juve,napoli,AC and a few others are dominant but a team like Roma,catania and calligari can also compete with them makeing the league really fun.

France you have the money giant PSG with all there wonderful players and youth same with Monco but you also have OM,Lillie,OL,Bordiux and the list go's on and on.

I haven't played a BPL save in awile as i find it just to easy you have the top 4-6 teams that are hard to topple at first but it happens alot in this game. I just cant find playing in BPL fun anymore.

La Liga has R.Madrid,Bara,Athletic Madrid ,Athletic bilbo but once you topple the top two and it takes a few years i find it not as interesting.

that is why i try to stick with Italy and France every year because as your team gets better so dose the rest of the teams through youth and other means.

So in short i would like to know why you like to play in a certain league . As i am not familiar whit a lot of the other leagues i tend to hear Germany is fun to play in and a few more leagues but have never tried.

I don't really play with the normal leagues any more, since discovering this fictional USA-based pyramid.

It is entirely based around the idea of America having a Premier League equal in stature to the English Premier League, with the biggest American clubs at the same reputation level as the biggest clubs in the world. It's completely sucked me in- a huge pyramid system with nine professional tiers, 25 divisions, making around 342 league teams. Plus a lot of non-league teams to get promoted into the bottom tier as time goes on. All based on real American cities and towns- the bigger the city, the bigger the club and higher the rep. If you name any US town or city, chances are they've got a team there somewhere.

And the creator has done a fantastic job on it- the balance of teams is good and reasonably dynamic, the registration rules strict but fair, and integration with leagues in other nations is also very good. It has division-based cups, regional cups and a national cup competition, and integration with the North American Champions League. Right now I'm running a save with this and the English leagues playable, and it just works really well- it's as though the league really exists.

Obviously the players and teams are entirely fictional, but if that doesn't bother you, I can't recommend it highly enough.

I seem to get drawn back to the Scottish leagues every year, maybe because my first save was with Hibernian, and the SPL seems like the EPL's little brother. I do like messing around with the created American databases from a "what if" standpoint, even as I'm hopeful that maybe, someday the US will have a genuine multi-tiered league system.

I tend to enjoy Holland with most of the teams focusing on small wages and young players it quite fun to compete but also keep the wages down, England I always load just to have Aston Villa available to take over at some point.

I have also enjoyed South Korea,Sweden,Chile and I will be looking at using the add/remove league feature for Fm14 to try other leagues.

Over the years and versions I've tried pretty much all of the European leagues now, enjoyed them all for different reasons and thought the German one was the most fun for a long time (good prize money, competitive, no EU restrictions).

But it's England for me and I'm bored to death of it really; I've played a save at pretty much every level from level 11 leagues right up to the superpowers of England.....but just keep coming back to it.

I like how the yth and reserve team leagues are set up (hate the whole B team, U23 teams playing in real leagues), I like the 7 sub rule, goal difference position sorting rather than head to heads, I like that even in League One/Two you get 'sleeping giants' that you can take all the way to the top of Europe with the money available in the Premier League. I like the cup competitions of England. I like the high attendances down the leagues. Most leagues/divisions in England are competitive.

Hate to say it, because I've hated it on and off at times but nothing quite matches the English league for me.

Iceland is hugely fun. Short league but the winners can make the CL. So you have an ultimate goal. In my long-term Spurs save IÁ are now regularly making it out of the group stages. I'm tempted to see if I can win with them before FM14 appears.

MLS, because nothing's better than snatching up a bunch of young Brazilians and riding them to dominance in North America. Sadly, the Club World Cup eluded me in FM13...it can be difficult going against a squad such as Real, where every starter earns more per year than my entire team!

I always have an EPL save, because it's the league I watch which adds more to the game itself as well. Outside of that it's whatever interests me at that time, if I had to pick my 2nd favorite league it would be Brazil - the competitions are vast and the regens are great so it's fun trying to find those 1 or 2 world class regens that could completely change the fortunes of your team.

Brazil.. Talent spewing out from every club.. you will never see any big money ppl take over any clubs since its not allowed.. 2 leagues (state and national championship).. Lots of cool teams that you will fall in love with..

• 2 years later...

I've really fancied trying a few more leagues, but England usually always draws me in! Done Scotland, Spain etc though not for a while. Which leagues do you include when adding the others? As otherwise surely the database is massive making game play slow?

England comes very near the bottom of the list for me. Just seems so sterile and meh, just a straight 38 game (at the top level at least) slog to the end of a season, and far too much money sloshing around.

For that reason, I like the more "out-there" leagues, as it keeps things more interesting throughout the season. I've edged towards shorter leagues like Gibraltar in the past (21 games, absolute breeze) but have a soft spot for the MLS and Belgian leagues due to having little disregard for anyone's sanity.

My most enjoyable saves have been in Norway, Ukraine and Italy. There was a time when I'd only play in England, but there is just too much money now.

Playing in other countries made me realise I quite enjoy a league that restricts me to a small number of non home-grown players for an extra challenge.

I always start in Ligue 2 in France because there always seem to be a few 'big' clubs that have fallen on hard times in there. And I like to try and change their fortunes around! Also apart from PSG, I think if you get promoted into Ligue 1 after a season or two you can create a team capable of competing for the top spots! IRL I've been to games in France before, so I've got an added interest there!

I also like the Italian league as I think it's very similar to the French League in that there are always 1 or 2 big clubs that are struggling outside of the top division, so it's good trying to re-establish one of those.

In my current journeyman save I've really enjoyed Switzerland and Italy.

The Swiss league is only ten teams so you get to know the other clubs really well and it adds a different dynamic. You also get the winter break so plenty of rest between fixtures.

I've always loved Italian football and it's an enjoyable challenge. Plenty of big clubs who aren't as good as they used to be. Only downside is that Juve seem unstoppable.

My least favourite on this save has been Portugal. The third tier is especially ridiculous with just three teams from 64 going up. The second tier isn't much better either unless you enjoy getting thrashed by the big clubs' B teams.

And I've never been a big fan of Belgium - the whole league split thing just annoys me.

For who doesn't like "1/2 teams league", The brazilian one can be interesting. The league is a real fight as for title, continental places and relegation. The State Championships can save your season (of course you have to be at least regular in the national league).

I like to play in Eredivisie too, mainly because I don't have any limit for foreigners, so I like to get young south america players (brazilians at most) and some from SA too for the main team.

I've played in a few different leagues this year thanks to the mega packs download.

I didn't enjoy Honduras much, it was like Brazil, Mexico etc split into two leagues. I didn't like the idea of destroying the league finishing first but getting knocked out of the playoffs and having nothing credited.

I enjoyed India, short season (only 20 games) and plenty of different cups to keep me interested.

I actually enjoyed Portugal although the 3rd tier was impossible to get out of I felt once you took over a semi decent club you had an outside chance of challenging the big clubs such as Porto and Benfica. I've always been put off by Ligue 1 just because I know it will take a lot of time, effort and luck in order to dethrone PSG.

Archived