Anyone else feel bad when they release an U18 player?

I released 4 U18's today, and oddly, I feel like I have destroyed any hopes of them getting anywhere in the game. I go through a spring clean at the end of each season in U18, and release all that in the reports tell me to offload ASAP.

Does anyone else get similar feelings, or am I getting too attached?

You should offer them to clubs for free with a certain % sell-on clause added, rather than releasing them for nothing.

That way, years down the line, you start to get lots of little bundles of cash every now and then. Probably not a lot, though.

Oh, and yes, you're getting far too attached :p

I always feel sorry for decent players in my reserves which I can't sell and are still under contract. I feel like I am ruining the careers ! Same with good players who I can't give any games to, I always try and move them on to help them out !

I release the hopeless players a bit too often club/player loyalty is 7.

But then again if they aren't good enough to play in the BSP then there really is no hope.

I don't like hoarding good players though, I'll usually seek to move them on.

Right, Im Sorry But People Feeling sorry for people in game is a bit on the OMG Mental Help Needed Line Do You Not think. Hey i am a fm addict me self but there are more important things in live this is sad lol im sure someone will agree with me :( im actually worried now lol

Nah not in the slightest, there is a reason your coaches are telling you to offload the player. He aint gonna cut it at your level. Aslong as they dont cut it and come back to your ground and blast a hat trick its all good :) Anything like this I always think what would say Rafa or Alex or Arsene do?

Are they gonna feel bad for releasing a player they can tell doesnt have the skills, very unlikely therefore Im not bothered either.

Be aware that the coaches do get it wrong. I bought a player with good attributes and as soon as I looked at his coach report it said 'offload as soon as possible'. Pretty much every coach said the same thing. I ignored them because I believed in his ability and he has now been my best player three years running, even scoring in a Champions League final. The coaches now say he is a good player.

I dont feel the same about releasing young players who have come up through my ranks and been useless. But if i nick a few youngsters from other clubs and therefore actually paying for them, and then releasing them, i feel dissapointed in myself and getting a player completely wrong in his ability to improve and open the door to unemployment like a "didnt wan to sack you but your sales percentage isnt good enough and it is a shame because your a nice guy" kind off manager.

I don't feel 'good' about doing it, but I don't feel 'unhappy' about it. I'd rather not have to do it... So I don't. I just don't offer them a new contract, so that they stay with the club, but are capable of being taken on a free... =)

In 08 I bought a promising young winger at the age of 16. He was set to take the world by storm but his potential was taken away from him by numerous injury blows, including a broken leg and damaged cruciate ligaments. The sensible thing to do would have been to turf him out on a free. However, I couldn't find it in my heart to do that to him. Instead, I moved him to my first team squad as a bench warmer. Occasionally I'd put him on at the end of games to let him fulfil his ambition of playing for the club of his dreams. Barcelona.

In 08 I bought a promising young winger at the age of 16. He was set to take the world by storm but his potential was taken away from him by numerous injury blows, including a broken leg and damaged cruciate ligaments. The sensible thing to do would have been to turf him out on a free. However, I couldn't find it in my heart to do that to him. Instead, I moved him to my first team squad as a bench warmer. Occasionally I'd put him on at the end of games to let him fulfil his ambition of playing for the club of his dreams. Barcelona.

:D!

That is quite brilliant.

I look at it as me doing them a favour, if they arent good enough for me then theres no point in me keeping them as i simply wont play them, so its better for both parties if they get the chance to find 1st team football at a club of their level.

Though it is quite nice to give a 17 year old a run out against the worlds top teams if you are beating them.

I released 4 U18's today, and oddly, I feel like I have destroyed any hopes of them getting anywhere in the game. I go through a spring clean at the end of each season in U18, and release all that in the reports tell me to offload ASAP.

Does anyone else get similar feelings, or am I getting too attached?

To be honest I cant actually believe what i just read - beyond ridiculous :confused:

It's not your fault that they're not good enough to make it. It's not like you can let them play and have your entire team and supporters suffer for it.

Just release them and let them look for a club their own size. Failing that, they'll become carpenters, teachers, lawyers, etc.

I think the great thing about this game is that it's so detailed that a number of events and conditions can make basically anything possible. It gives me belief that any player can have a role on the game. I basically keep track with all leagues and teams and see how everything is going. I try to make the best of every player of mine.

Some times I have a particular plan I'm aiming at, and that makes it easier for me to part ways with my players. For instance, when I'm going to start my game with Tournai in the Belgian Second Division, my main goal will be to develop as many your talented foreign free transfer players, to create exciting carreer for them and make my own team exciting, using the potential of the Belgian leagues to their full extent. Therefore, there really is no room for mediocre Belgian players once I get the chance to build me team.

However, on a general basis, I like to make use of every player and for each player to play their role. It's always great when you're able to make the most of you club's players, especially those coming through at youth ranks. I too feel bad about letting players go, but I would certainly feel much worse about letting players with no hope rot in my reserves. I'm often a fairly good club, and there is a chance that many of the players I release will have fairly good carreer in the lower leagues, and possilby move up. Sometimes it seems to really revitalise them that they get a new chance somewhere else - it's really exciting to follow. The most interesting players to follow are always those who you have worked closely with yourself.

I would definately say that the best way for a player to leave your club is to be sold. Selling players always make you feel like you're acheiving something, and it's great when a club sees enough value in your player to make a bid. However, I wouldn't transfer-list a lot of sub-par reserves as often they will take a long time to attract interest, and I don't really ruin the harmony of the club. I like to get rid of them the minute I make the decision, so that I will have a more "clean" squad that fits into my image.

I think it's a bit silly with the people in here talking down to the people who really see themselves in the game, and like to think about things. If you're unable to find value and importance in the details of things, won't that make for a bit of a hollow game experience? I certainly feel that my empathy adds to mine ...

i have never heard such a nonesence question being asked. mate u need a girlfriend or something coz u clearly play this game FAR to much. go and see a doctor and take it from there.

Lighten up.

Personally I don't think twice about releasing youngsters. If they aren't good enough, or if they don't meet my standards or if I feel as if they don't have a good enough potential to make an impression with my club then I feel as if I'm doing the club as well as the player a duty to part with the player.

i released a few youths at the end of my first season and the only feeling i had was curiosity.

So i checked to see how they had got on since leaving my club only to find i made the right choice in releasing them as they where indeed crap and no one wanted them.

Two had even retired

Archived