Which manager are you?

Which real life manager do you tend to identify yourself with when playing FM?

When I was a kid, I used to love watching Italian football, and I used to watch the managers on the touchline smoking cigars and cigarettes, dressed in their long coats, faces red from Chianti. I studied them in awe as they furiously gestured at their players looking more like philosophers than football managers and playing chess-like tactical games with their opponents. All of the players' names sounded amazing - for instance, Roberto Baggio sounded like a player who was going to be good. That was what football management was about!

In FM07, I decided to fulfill my destiny as an Italian-style manager, just like the ones I had so admired during my youth. I gave up smoking cigarettes a long time ago, but I still have the occasional cigar. :cool: What's more is I can wear a long coat and drink Chianti as good as anyone I know. In addition to this, I decided to sign one or two players with good names and I would practise my philosophical expressions and chess-like strategies. Defensive and cautious football was the name of the game. (Yes, I realise that I am hugely stereotyping!)

I've always admired the shrewd tacticians and, in more recent FMs, it's Rafael Benitez that I've been seeking to emulate. I even considered growing a dodgy goatee and giving interviews like Benitez for FM08. 'Yes for sure, we have been talking about this and we have a lot of possibilities, for sure, this is my idea always to concentrate on the next game' etc. and repeat ad nauseam.

In FM09, I have suddenly had a shocking realisation. I'm a cautious tactician, fastidious about my tactics and thorough about my match preparation. In general, my sides are hard-working, defensively solid and structurally sound. It's not always pretty and sometimes direct, but whatever gets the job done. However, I appear to be fairly useless at team talks and motivating my squad.

So who am I?

I am Sven Goran-Eriksson! :eek:

Tactical knowledge 17, Man Management 12, Motivating 11, level of discipline 6. :D

No sign of me having any affairs just yet as I am happily married. However, I am a bit of a mercenary and I would take nearly any job if they paid me enough. I've also managed England before (in FM07) and failed to win anything, eventually getting sacked. :thup:

So, just a bit of fun... which manager do you try to emulate in FM?

And, if different, which manager are you actually like in FM?

(Use manager attributes to support your claim if you can be bothered!)

C.

In FM09, I have suddenly had a shocking realisation. I'm a cautious tactician, fastidious about my tactics and thorough about my match preparation. In general, my sides are hard-working, defensively solid and structurally sound. It's not always pretty and sometimes direct, but whatever gets the job done. However, I appear to be fairly useless at team talks and motivating my squad.

C.

This is exactly how i would describe myself.

my meticulous and rigid tactical management leaves no room for flair. i do try and and emulate jose when it comes to man management; people either hate me or love me. being a sycophant is not part my philosophy!

I really enjoyed reading your thread and I share your same FM09 emotions being myself not a kid anymore like you :)

I am that kind of manager who is deeply ambitious ( I'm bringing Colchester to Premier this year I hope ) and I am deeply serious in terms of discipline, I am used to fine wages, to fire players etc if they have a non pro behaviour into the field.

I like to invest into good youngsters (my team average age is 23 ) and I also like to get involved into matches loudly screaming for the happiness and getting desperate when it happens.

Other than that I am also a manager who likes a lot to joke and drink beers with my players, maybe also chianti being myself italian :)

cheers

After playing FM09 I take my pills :D

-

I've never really thought about it. Tell you what, I'll tell you what I think my stats would be and if anyone wants to suggest someone feel free.

Tactical knowledge 18+, Man Management 14, Motivating 11, level of discipline 18

I like to play attacking football yet not quite with the freedom of say Barcelona or Brazil. I like my fullbacks to push forward and attack, like to play with wingers and am meticulous in my preparations and transfer dealings. Hmm, Brian Clough maybe?

(In a Spanish-esque accent)

Clearly it is Rafa, no? For sure, I am Rafa. We have many players with quality, good quality. I say that I try to use all our players because we have big squad, full of quality. Clearly discipline is important. First, I use tactics to avoid the defeat then I go the win. Sensible counter attacking is the key.

Tactical knowledge 20+ (not me, Rafa. I'm useless), Man management 14, Motivating 15, Discipline 18

I'm probably a Keegan-like manager. I know what to say to the press and how to talk in the dressing room to get the best out of my players. Even after heavy defeats I can get my players chins up and look forward to the next game. Where I lack (especially with the 09 system which just highlights my weaknesses) is tactics and tweaking meticulously. I'm not a great study of Keegan so it might be unfair to say he lacks tactical knowledge, but I know he's a great motivator.

J.Eades: Tactical Knowledge 8, Man Management 17, Motivating 19, Discipline 10 (only knock em into line if they push me)

ah yes. the days of the great players who just sounded good.

im more a fan of the "score 1 more than they do" tactic, it seems to work quite well for me but i can think of nobody who does this :(

SAF does this. But it's usually because he has referees willing to give them 10 minutes extra time to get that "1 more".

I don't focus upon the opposition, I play my game. I hate losing, and cannot accept poor performance. I'm a disciplinarian - cross me and you can find a new club. Fast paced counter attacking team play with 4 flair players, and intensity in the midfield. You suggest!

My man management is Jose Mourinho-esque. I will die for my players and have a deep love for them. I want them to likewise die for me on a football pitch.

The media REALLY don’t seem to like me.

My game preparation is meticulous and every detail is examined.

I favor a defensive approach (but its not negative)

My style has elements of Hector Cuper, Jaques Santini, Christian Gross, Ottmar Hitzfeld, Otto Rehhagel, Vahid Halilhodzic (during his Lille years) Jose Mourinho and Rafa Benitez (for his scientific approach to the game as a whole - i love that).

To me, its not a game of football. Its a chess match and everything can be won with the right knowledge and gameplan

David O Leary::: interview "we have players good here at Leeds" lol

eh no id be very much like Arsene Wenger i take every team i manage as a long term project and like to biuld a team and not buy short term sucess, i always cash in on players and replace them with cheaper younger versions, i cant stand it when the other team have more posession than i have, any player who "has the intelligence to spot a pass" is signed immediately, even if i lose a game if my players have alot of key passes im still happi that ive a smarter team. I appraoch the finances of my teams very seriously and meticulously plan every aspect of this. As for my tactics, creative freedom, passing, possession, pacy wingers that score goals (pires, overmars, ljunberg), with a strong spine of my team Defensive Midfielder that protects the back for is an essential and good centre backs, with full backs pushing up and attacking. :):)...ooo and i never see a penalty that should be given against my team....ever!

I think my ratings would be -

Tactical knowledge 11, Man Management 17, Motivating 16, level of discipline 15. So, a motivator who isn't particularly good when it comes to tactics.

However, I am attack minded and try to get as many people to attack as possible, especially wingers and full-backs. I always play as wide as possible, but my centre midfielders are usually players with very high work rate and teamwork, like Hargreaves or Fletcher. One of my strikers is usually work horse too, like Tevez. Those are examples from my current United game. Any ideas?

I think my ratings would be -

Tactical knowledge 11, Man Management 17, Motivating 16, level of discipline 15. So, a motivator who isn't particularly good when it comes to tactics.

However, I am attack minded and try to get as many people to attack as possible, especially wingers and full-backs. I always play as wide as possible, but my centre midfielders are usually players with very high work rate and teamwork, like Hargreaves or Fletcher. One of my strikers is usually work horse too, like Tevez. Those are examples from my current United game. Any ideas?

Motivator who isn't the best tactically? Quite attacking.

Sounds like Keegan.

A lot of people asking for ideas, not many answers, so now that I'm about to do the same, I don't have my hopes up.

I play a balanced game focusing on dominant midfield play, run a clean locker room with no tolerance for dissent, extravagant with my spending but I keep my wage bill low, and sell my losers on the cheap.

Tactical: 17 Man Mgmt:19 Motivating: 16 Discipline: 20

actual in-game ratings: Loyalty: 15 National Bias: 1 Financial Control: 20 Hands On: 20 Discipline: 20 Tactical Consistancy: 7

Who am I?

Stockport's manager Jim Gannon has really rubbed off on me, I find him an inspiration. As a result, on my FM games I dont take any carp, anyone who offends me may find himself out of the club within the week. I sign youngsters that I can mould into a total footballer. Players need to be adaptable. My teams pass it along the floor, there is no 'long ball' tactic. I also manage to offend mayn opposing managers! I'm just like my hero.

At best mediocre tactician but if I have the players we'll win stuff, I yell all the time, any red card thats not awesome (punch) is 2 week immediate fine. I will sell a player within 6 months of buying them if they **** me off. I will praise the crap out of any player if I think it will make them play well.

Which manager could that be? (genuinely don't know)

I try to be a hard but fair manager and give praise where its due. My strongest points are definatly motivating and discepline, theyd probably be around 16-18, then tactical knowledge of about 12-14 and finally man management of 13-15, not sure who that makes me to be honest, im thinking possibly Darren Ferguson because he seems fair on his judgement of matches and performances and can openly admit when his team were poor or got a win they didnt deserve. Like yesterday the referee decided to have the penalty retaken against them 3 times and at the end of the game instead of complaining like every other manager would of, he said that the decision was irrelevant and his team were awful and deserved to lose basically. Also sometime last year Peterborough won 8-3 (i think it was 8-3, sorry if im wrong) and despite this he commented that he was still disapointed to have conceded 3 goals, most other managers would have been praising their team no end but not him. If im not Darren Ferguson i think i could be Steve Bruce.

I try to use the media and team talks to motivate my team I have used the same tactic for 7 of my 11 season current save game. I take the Clough philosophy that I am always right and any player who steps out of line is fined or sold, any player that shows any interest in leaving the club is offered out and sold, any player who under performs is dropped regardless of reputation.

I use a fast pace attacking style but always employ two beastly CBs that sort out any opposition attacker. I dont care what country someone comes from if they can play I will sign them if they are youth that are good enough I will play them.

This is how I play as my Sunderland manager. I change slightly when managing other teams sometimes I may be loyal to my native players my Valencia team in season 3 only has 2 non-Spainish players.

I like to think of trying to be a big headed no-nonesense type of manager who has total faith in his ability to motivate his team. I leave the creativity to the creative players and like to mix it up with some big strong brutes.

:i have no discapline what so ever my players are worried because im to nice:D

the doc? :D

I like to play sensible attacking play, but when we go down a goal, that is it! all out attack!

I'm not really one for tactics, i think im the modern Sir Matt Busby of the managers but a little harsher. "Just go and play" is my message to the players and the players respect my presence, i like to think :D

I like bring youth through and regularly spend over £40M on my youth side every couple of seasons.

i can be very motivating but disipline is my speciality, no player is bigger than the club, slight bit of Sir Alex aswell, i cant play with any other team apart form Man Utd :).

Tactical:9 Man Managment:18 Motivating:17 Discipline:20

Thinking about this question moreso, then I take back what I've said before. I'm unique, therefore can't be compared to anyone who's clearly inferior to me and my (virtual) managerial abilities. I'm obviously also quite reserved and clearly not big headed in the slightest... ;)

• 2 weeks later...

My tactical knowledge is limited, but my averagely strong disciplined players are nearly always very happy and motivated. Have almost never spoke to the press. Ideally I'll play three flair midfielders in an otherwise steady 4-4-2 and, like all FM managers, can create plenty of chances from corners. Am equally as happy splashing the cash as ducking and diving.

Depressingly, it's all looking a little Keegan.

Tactical knowledge 5. I use one tactic and stick to it.

Man Management 10. I buy and sell. A lot.

Motivating 15. Bloody hell, can they play when they want to.

Level of discipline 18. I detest unnecessary cards, and tolerate no nonsense.

What am I then? Hmm...

Arsene Wenger? Or maybe Harry Redknapp...:o

Has to be Mourinho for me ;) The massive ego and undoubted talent lol

Can handle the big players and good relationship with the squad (high motivation and not so high buying players), love to wind up rivals as well :p

As for tactically, i play 4-5-1 like him, very high pressing like him with less creative freedom and not afraid to mix it up.

Jus wish a cud afford the armani overcoat :cool:

Theres only 2 'Special Ones' :D

Archived