Deciding your 11, how do you?

Hey everyone.

So normally, I just shove who ever in which position is rated higher. But I am learning it is not the way to go.

Obviously you decide on your top 11 and try stick with them all year right? Only bringing others in due to injuries.

What do you look for in your best 11? How much time to you spend studying?

I generally go by what my Ass Man tells me is my strongest XI to start with, excluding players below 97% condition, where possible. Then it depends on what my scout says about the opposition. For example, I have a fast striker and a target striker, but I play 4-2-3-1, so that changes depending on who I'm playing. Form and morale do come into it, but not as much.

I usually have a fixed XI based on looking at the stats at the start of the season.

Then I rotate accordingly. I am very strict on fitness, and anything below 96% is out.

This usually means a completely different starting XI if I have two matches in a week, with perhaps the keeper being the exception.

If a player doesn't have a morale of 'good' or higher he doesn't play no matter how good he is. Then it's just the best rated players with good morale, but if some of them are on bad form i'll give someone else a chance.

I pick the players on form, average rating over the whole season and fitness. For some reason, I ALWAYS clear a team selection after a match - even if I thrashed a team. This means that I very rarely field and unchanged line-up - I like rotating players.

I pick the players on form, average rating over the whole season and fitness. For some reason, I ALWAYS clear a team selection after a match - even if I thrashed a team. This means that I very rarely field and unchanged line-up - I like rotating players.

Ah, the Rafa Benitez approach ;)

I just ask my assistant tbf..

I had 17 players in my squad at the start of the season (still in season 1) so often had to pick players that were unfit 80-90%.

Am now half way through the season and squad numbers are much better (27) so I pick based on my assistant managers recomendation whilst dropping those who under-perform.

I generally rotate so I will play the best players who are not below 96% fitness. That said, if the game is not an important rival/cup game that is very closely matched, I will just play a few 100% youth players (and then scream why they are playing badly). I think I have not used the same roster in 2 consecutive matches for 9 seasons already. I am a tinkerer.

I try to rotate as many as possible, however some players are key depending on the depth of your squad. Morale, and fitness are huge for me for strikers I also look at form. Remember to look at what role you have offered them in the squadm key,first team, rotation etc. If you manage a smaller club like me not playing them enough could make them disillusioned.

I go by reputation :) hence my first 11 will always be (ideally unless suspension or injuries):

Alumnia, Clichy, Sagna, Toure, Gallas, Fabregas, Yaya Toure (bought from Barcelona), Walcott, Nasri or Bateolli (bought from Inter), van Persie, and Adebayor.

cheers!

I usually ask the ass man, and use that as a base.

I do tend to get favorites that get picked despite the advice (Douglas for my Leeds side as an example - always played well). If I feel confident, I tend to let some of the younger players get a match and rest some of the core personnel.

Oh and fitness also play a large part - I always choose a 100% candidate over a lesser one all things equal, and only field a below 90% player in dire emergencies (they sometimes get put on as subs instead though).

As I'm playing a very small team, I don't have the number of players to let them rest until they are at more than 90% fitness rating.

Usually 80%+ should be enough to play for at least 60 mins.

So my ranking is:

1.) suited position

2.) attributes

3.) had a great last game

4.) fitness

5.) av. rating

6.) morale

I select the original XI based on my knowledge of the player (from reports, friendlies etc etc).

Rotate the players depending on fitness and recent form (last 5 games, especially last matches form).

I'll try and keep on top of the fitness by resting atleast 1 day after each match, depending on gap between matches.

I make sure I have cover for each position incase of lack of fitness and/or form so I'll be covered atleast 2 players deep, comfortably.

I work on keeping a similar team week in week out, then edit training, rest etc to keep them fit. Currently 13 games unbeaten with Grimsby.

(yeh i loan in)

How are you finding getting your players too 100% fitness for weekly matches?

At the start of a new game I assess my squad and choose my formation based on the best starting XI. My subsequent purchases will have to fit that formation.

I will have an ideal starting XI and a back-up for each position (+ reserves and youth).

For big games I will stick as close to the Ideal XI as fitness will allow, taking into account form and morale.

For games I should win okay and cup fixtures against lower league opponents I will rotate in a few marginal squad members, reserves and kids to give them experience. Where I get fixture pile-ups I often send out an entire second-string against lesser opponents and rather too often end up losing those games.

Simple keys:

1. What are the key attributes for each position

2. What do you want each player in that position to do

3. How fit is a player. Are their players recovering from injury and still need time to get match fit and shouldnt be risked in the first team yet.

4. Home or away

5. What upcoming games do you have i.e should key players be rested and sit out a game

6. Whats a players form and morale

7. A players history against the opponent i.e does he always seem to score or just seems to play horrible against them

8. What do you need from the game does the result really matter or is it a worthless match, only good for fitness and experience

Do not let you Assistant pick the squad and tactics.

Do watch each game.

I choose my team by using the form of the player. If a player has performed less than 6.5 for 2 games then i bring him off. I like to have a big squad so its never a problem to bring someone else in. I dont play anyone with a fitness under 92%.

In the league cup i change the team completely and use all players from the fringes of the 1st team and the players who have been playing well for the reserves.

Start of the season I put everyone in thr reserves and then on 1st August I promote th 11 that are recommended in the Ass Mans team report - you need an Ass Man with good Judging Player Ability for this - minimum 15 -

Jan 1st I promote up to 3 more players that are good enough for the 1st team

all match day subs are from the reserve squad

I pick my first 11 based on pre-season form, then drop players who begin dip in their performances to give others a chance. Then it's simply down to whether they are fit (condition 90%+).

Possible exceptions arise if a player has 'lost faith in the manager's ability' as I take it personally. :p

Archived