Forced To Retire

Should we be forced to retire?

I've read a few threads where people have goine 60+ years into the game and are still managing their clubs when aged 90 or fast approaching 100, and i'm not sure I like it.

We could be told to step aside and move upstairs, then add another manager and start all over again.

For me it's a tough one.

In terms of realism then yes, you should need to retire at some point.

In terms of fun, if you've played the same save for 60 seasons should you be forced to stop or be allowed to carry on playing.

For me if you want realism you should just resign at a realistic age. If you want to carry on you should be able to.

You shouldn't need to stop your save. Maybe you could just hand the reins over to Mr Manager jnr. That might not be entirely within the bounds of realism, but it's closer than Mr Manager snr being 126.

Saying that, if it's a game does it matter?

I don't even know how some people get so far into the game. I'm not even in season four in my save and I've been playing 12 days.

i dont think you should be forced to retire or be moved upstairs. It is a game after all and you dont really want to put all the time and effort into a team to be told your too old. I think if people want realism than they can resign themselves and look over their career, if people want to carry on playing then they should be allowed to.

Urgh! I make a rare (nowadays) sojourn into GD forum and find Nomis07 causing trouble :D

Personally I never play that far into a game so it wouldn't really concern me either way (I'm currently 12 seasons in at Scunthorpe and hoping now for quite a few more, but not 30-40 years more!).

I don't like the idea of forcing a manager to retire though, just for the sake of it. The whole idea of me managing a football club needs me to "suspend my disbelief" to a certain extent anyway since I am essentially creating a fictional persona. Is it more realistic to allow you to create a new user once one has retired? That would definitely make you into some kind of God persona rather than the manager themselves!

I'm someone who likes to keep managing 1 club throughout the whole game so even things like the board choosing not to offer you a new contract (very frequent for managers in FM08, hopefully toned down a bit in FM09) annoys me. Even worse, when a takeover occurs and you get booted out despite doing well. Things like that that force me out of a club spoil the gameplay hugely for me, even if they may add realism.

I was gutted when Stockport sacked me in FM07 - I hadn't checked the board confidence page for a while so I had no idea they were even unhappy with me (we were 4th in the Championship mid-season ~12 years into the game, board expectations for us to win it were unrealistic given the teams who had come down from the Premiership). I'd been at the club ~10 years, taken them from League 2 to the Premiership (only 1 season there though) and had never finished outside the playoffs in my 3-4 seasons in the Championship...I added a new manager to take over, bt it wasn't the same after that :(

That is a slightly different issue I know - getting sacked will always happen in that way, I just don't want that to be added to by other methods of enforced sacking/retirment or whatever else.

I'm currently 69 years of age in my game and I got there by not watching each game in detail, but I've still been successful.

I do think SI should ackowledge in game when a player reaches retirement age, but the option should definitely be there to allow forced retirements.

Having said that, I'm not sure I'd want to stop managing my team when I reach 70, so if there was some way I could get the glory and recognition my 40 years at one club deserves without ending my reign at that one club, I'd be all for it.

Categorically no, the option is there to retire in the game if people want to use it, plus we don't know that by 2080 that healthcare will be so good that we'll all be living to 200 and working till we're like 180.

Agreed. In the end it is a game, a game with much realism but still a game, if someone wants to manage at the age of 100 let them and what the Captain said, no one can know how healthcare will be 25+ years from now.

For me it is no problem at all, I rarely have saves longer then 12 ~15 years.

Who ever plays the game for that long needs to get a life

I have a life. And a wife. And two kids. FM is my escape, my release from the grind of daily life. 3 or 4 hours play on a night gets me through the seasons in no time and has no impact on family or social life.

Those who are too ready to judge others without knowing any facts should take a look at themselves tbh.

Horrible idea IMO. I still remember being absolutely gutted when I was forced to retire in CM96/97 after 25 years with various clubs which culminated in me taking over Gillingham when they got promoted into the football league and getting them promoted to the Premiership and just before my inaugural season in the promised land of the Premiership I was forced to retire.

I'd never be in favour of having this in. If you don't like the unrealistic prospect of a 100 year old manager, simply retire.

In real life though there is no age you have to retire by, If a manager was fit and healthy and still a good manager whilst pushing 90 then why should he be forced to retire?

Although i can't see this ever happening, but in reality i'm sure it's possible to manage til your over 100 :)

Plus imagine reaching 60 winning everything bar one trophy then being forced to retire, you'd be gutted. Although by that amount of time on FM if you haven't won everything at least once you must be a bad manager or have realy bad luck in that competition!

At the end of the day, FM is a game. There is something called the retire option...and some people (like me) refuse to use it.

If you should forced to retire in FM, I think FM should give us managerial wages in real money! Then maybe I will consider this option. Otherwise, no one can force me to retire. :D

If you find it so unrealistic then,

A) Dont play till you get to 100years old

B) Retire and add another manager, if you think you are too old

The options are there for you to do it, nothing holding you back. No point adding a feature to force people to retire, there are some people out there that want to keep going with the one manager.

chopper99 -

Anyone who actually cares how long someone they've never met spends playing a game is more in need of a life imo

---------------------------

CaptainPlanet -

I have a life.

It's a virtual life where I manage Witton Albion for 100 seasons.

I am happy.

------------

glamdring -

Mebee FM should just implement death instead of "moving upstairs". You'd probably need a stairlift for that anyway!

-----------------------

jptykes -

I have a life. And a wife. And two kids. FM is my escape, my release from the grind of daily life. 3 or 4 hours play on a night gets me through the seasons in no time and has no impact on family or social life.

Those who are too ready to judge others without knowing any facts should take a look at themselves tbh.

--------

HAHAHAHAHAHA - It looks as though i have caught a big fish ere reel em in, reel em in. I have a life as well thanks, have a 9-5 Mon-fri job, play semi-pro footy on a sat. It's ok lads/ladettes (as some of u seem to be) keep spending your whole lives playing a 'game' remember a G.A.M.E. Credit Crunch must of hit some of the fm players as thats all they seem to be doing!

One can always retire when they want. There is no need to force it plus in real life people do not retire from football management because the number in their birtyear is too low, it is mostly because either they are bored or unseccusful or sick then they retire with thier own wish.

I've got to admit, I am liking this idea.

If I got through, say, 45 seasons, and thought that the game had become unrealistic I would hate to just retire. You lose all of your stats, and all of your history.

I do, however, like being given the option of a place on the board, for example. That is if you have done well enough, of course. When you get to 75 or a similar age, a pop up could appear asking you if you would like to retire from the game and take a place on the board.

If you click yes, your manager retires, but he appears on the clubs Staff screen, as a Director or something similar. You then get the option to either create a new manager, start a new game or load a game.

I made a thread about this around summer 08, didn't get as much attention as this though:eek::(

nice one arsenal

what about chairman?or is it already implemented in the game to be the chairman of your own team because I saw something or I though I saw

No, not chairman. That would mean there is chance youcould be kicked off the game eventually if there was a takeover.

Maybe a lifelong honoury president, like Elton John at Watford.

Archived