The FM21 Youth Academy Challenge

Brora Rangers 2024/25

10d7f5fa894b76787ea7862ab9833808.png

4a320bfe660ca7da3e1ff229fdb76881.png

So I did not want to say it before the season.. but I was quite hyped and actually expected us to stay up :D I got a tough reality check as we were by far the worst team in this league, only our striker are good enough for this, our defense and especially midfield is so poor. Our best player in midfield & defense is rated as "decent player for Scottish League 2". Anyway, it was very important season for us as we got a lot of money from finishing dead last and board actually accepted upgrading youth recruitment! Our balance is now +50k but we will definitely end up in red towards the end of the season anyway. If we could bounce straight back to Champ that would be financially great for us but we are expected to fight relegation so I am not sure about that.

16a72896c4ad2bac5b748748fbf90072.png

Transfers | Youth in-take

Key players: Joe MalinJordan MacRae & Greg Morrison

9bd7d40996f06aa1b435b0883df6bdf2.png

• Replies 8.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

12 hours ago, thomas_e said:

I live in Stavanger as well so I'm guessing we will both be giving it a go with 3rd division (4th tier) side Brodd. Should be easy! 

Oh cool. :) I had a great save with Brodd several years ago, do you think it’s possible for them to get promoted in FM21? I was hoping for Staal or Madla but it’s unlikely they’ll get promoted. Maybe Vidar or Sola could be good choices too and more likely they come up. 

Edited by Gundo

22 minutes ago, Gundo said:

Oh cool. :) I had a great save with Brodd several years ago, do you think it’s possible for them to get promoted in FM21? I was hoping for Staal or Madla but it’s unlikely they’ll get promoted. Maybe Vidar or Sola could be good choices too and more likely they come up. 

I think enough reloads can make anything possible. I guess the star rating of the 4th tier sides in Norway is pretty even (that being extremely low :D) so it should be a good variety of teams promoted. 

But yes, Sola and Vidar are probably more realistic options! 

6 minutes ago, thomas_e said:

I think enough reloads can make anything possible. I guess the star rating of the 4th tier sides in Norway is pretty even (that being extremely low :D) so it should be a good variety of teams promoted. 

But yes, Sola and Vidar are probably more realistic options! 

Yeah, the quality is pretty dire. I’ll be interested to see if you can get Brodd then, it will give me hope for Staal or Madla. 

30 minutes ago, Gundo said:

Yeah, the quality is pretty dire. I’ll be interested to see if you can get Brodd then, it will give me hope for Staal or Madla. 

Just have to finish the challenge in Portugal first  ;)  Since we can't travel these days, playing in south Europe is the closest thing I get to escaping the Norwegian winter....

Captain Obvious here. This challenge is so hard! I'm stuck in that purgatory where we're leaking money so I can't improve any element of the youth process. And then we can't produce the players needed to push on and try to earn a bit of money.

Currently hoping for a takeover or Mr Chairman to dip his hand in his back pocket.

We are at least making a small amount of progress.

e31fded9ed80b25e9279379a3e10188f.png

2 hours ago, thomas_e said:

A bit controversial maybe, but is this the best player compared to club/league reputation we have seen on this challenge? This would be a top prospect for any team. 

Yeah, he is a beast! I was happy when I saw a 5 star ability player, but when I looked at him.... The only thing that could have been better is if he was a DM! :D

I just hope I can keep him, I mean I got him to sign a 3 year deal with 2 year optional, but I've already had some teams sniffing around him, so I don't think I'll be able to keep him for long...

14 minutes ago, XaW said:

Yeah, he is a beast! I was happy when I saw a 5 star ability player, but when I looked at him.... The only thing that could have been better is if he was a DM! :D

I just hope I can keep him, I mean I got him to sign a 3 year deal with 2 year optional, but I've already had some teams sniffing around him, so I don't think I'll be able to keep him for long...

If you kan keep him for a year or two thats probably the most you can hope for! But hopefully he will go straight to a big club with some good add-on clauses. 

54 minutes ago, thomas_e said:

Just have to finish the challenge in Portugal first  ;)  Since we can't travel these days, playing in south Europe is the closest thing I get to escaping the Norwegian winter....

With who did u started ? I'm going to decide this evening  ... loaded in 8 different countries till very late night and still didn't made my mind up

It is time for my second attempt already.  I have still not got to grips fully with this yet, so will try again with a club near from where I was born.  I come from North Shields originally, but as they play at tier nine, their closest rivals South Shields will have to do.

Club Introduction

South Shields

Mariners' club badge to be changed at end of the season – South Shields FC

The Manager

This is me.

XFb1ECH.png

vsNszuc.png

Personal Coaching Data

Season     Reputation            Qualifications          Att   Def   Fit   GkD   GkH   GkS   Tac   Tec   Men   WWY   Ada   Det   PlK   YoK   LoD   MaM   Mot
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
At start   Minimal   (0.25*)     None                      1     1     1     1     1     1     1     1     1     4     1     1     1     4     1     1     1

Club Facilities

Season     Training Facilities  Youth Facilities  Youth Level  Corporate Facilities  Junior Coaching  Youth Recruitment  Club Reputation
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
At Start   Adequate             Adequate               3       Basic                 Average          Adequate           Local   (1.00*)

Season Record

Season     Played     Won     Drawn     Lost     Goals For     Goals Against     Goal Difference
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Overall Career Record

After Season   Played     Won     Drawn     Lost     Goals For     Goals Against     Goal Difference     Time At Club
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Trophy Haul

Season     Competition Won
--------------------------

Trophy Cabinet

League Titles
-------------

Cup Competition Victories
-------------------------

Career Overview

Season     Champions League     Europa League          League                             Position     F.A. Cup                    League Cup        Achievements
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1 hour ago, OlivierL said:

With who did u started ? I'm going to decide this evening  ... loaded in 8 different countries till very late night and still didn't made my mind up

SC Olhanense. I haven't posted anything yet as I wanted to see how the first season went along. The board just sold my best player for next to nothing so a great start! 

10 minutes ago, Gbrexiton said:

Why does everyone put their youngster knowledge as the highest attribute for their mentals? Doesn’t that only give you more knowledge of all youngsters in the world? Does that help you? 

No clue, I set mine to determination since I'd like to get that as high as possible to help out with squad personality.

Freamunde - Season 2021-2022 - Championship (4th division)

So I started in Portugal with a team that "promoted" from the 4th tier to the new 4th tier and was unplayable the season before. I hope this is correct, otherwise I will re-start the challenge.

Predicted : 22nd out of 60 teams (5 leagues of 12)

Final position: 6th in my league, so mid-table

We started the season with some poor performances, and we were in a relegation battle until the 10 game of the season. Then we picked up some good form winning 6 out of 7 games leaving us mid-table. We stayed there the rest of the season, so pretty happy with this first season

Games 1

Games 2

Cup: survived the 1th round, but didn't care about this cup, as we were at that moment in a relegation battle.

Youth intake: Preview. The actual intake was better than expected with only 2 positive remarks in the preview. Due to the tagging problem, I didn't tag anyone, but I gave a contract to everybody with at least a potential of 3.5*

José Medeiros: AML

Daniel Alcobia: AMR

Jorge Ruxa: MC

João Cardoso: AMR

Adérito Varela: MC

Transfers: None

Finances: Terrible, losing 465k this season. No investments at all from the chairman, but he decided that we need a new stadium.  And it will be a much smaller stadium (2162 seats) then the current one (3959 seats). The stadium was only 24 years old, so I totally don't understand my chairman. We only filled the stadium for ±20%. This will be a very hard challenge with the lack of funds nd an idiot as chairman.

Edited by Bartrcm

1 hour ago, thomas_e said:

SC Olhanense. I haven't posted anything yet as I wanted to see how the first season went along. The board just sold my best player for next to nothing so a great start! 

I'm not sure that Olhanense is a team for this challenge, as they were playable in the holiday season.

2 hours ago, DazRTaylor said:

It is time for my second attempt already.  I have still not got to grips fully with this yet, so will try again with a club near from where I was born.  I come from North Shields originally, but as they play at tier nine, their closest rivals South Shields will have to do.

Club Introduction

South Shields

Mariners' club badge to be changed at end of the season – South Shields FC

The Manager

This is me.

XFb1ECH.png

vsNszuc.png

Personal Coaching Data

Season     Reputation            Qualifications          Att   Def   Fit   GkD   GkH   GkS   Tac   Tec   Men   WWY   Ada   Det   PlK   YoK   LoD   MaM   Mot
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
At start   Minimal   (0.25*)     None                      1     1     1     1     1     1     1     1     1     4     1     1     1     4     1     1     1

Club Facilities

Season     Training Facilities  Youth Facilities  Youth Level  Corporate Facilities  Junior Coaching  Youth Recruitment  Club Reputation
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
At Start   Adequate             Adequate               3       Basic                 Average          Adequate           Local   (1.00*)

Season Record

Season     Played     Won     Drawn     Lost     Goals For     Goals Against     Goal Difference
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Overall Career Record

After Season   Played     Won     Drawn     Lost     Goals For     Goals Against     Goal Difference     Time At Club
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Trophy Haul

Season     Competition Won
--------------------------

Trophy Cabinet

League Titles
-------------

Cup Competition Victories
-------------------------

Career Overview

Season     Champions League     Europa League          League                             Position     F.A. Cup                    League Cup        Achievements
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dueling South Shields challenges....:)

Second season done, started like a train but then fell away and finished okay. 

Never threatened to go up or down really.

A moderate youth intake, another couple of players to strengthen the spine of the team are most welcome.

20201113154155_1.thumb.jpg.7b7a84fe35b682b24cdb4082111683e3.jpg20201113143850_1.thumb.jpg.0b1ef66d64ac19a911bf14340f0215ba.jpg20201113154339_1.thumb.jpg.113e21f656628c4c4ea556c92a368188.jpg

Edited by lloyd_doyley

I'm gonna wait to continue (probably starting over) with this challenge with Lokeren-Temse.

The bug non-contracts being transfer listed.
Team colours not correct (for me particular with this team a no-go)
Attendancy also not correct. 300 season tickets? We sold 1800 in real life!

1747892029_images(1).jpg.82208e9621c4f27a1817f83e03949c14.jpgimages.jpg.b03dc34209708d512852ce0b6a33679b.jpg

Changed my mind. Just love the name and the colours :) 

20201113182106_1.thumb.jpg.a871398af5b941b9beef96e0c81d50c1.jpg

47 minutes ago, Ralph96 said:

Sry quite new here what is the bug about?

In real life they changed the rule about selecting players below 17 years old. Since this season this is allowed in germany. but SI didn't change the rule on the game and they won't do it on this edition because of license reasons.

2 hours ago, Bartrcm said:

I'm not sure that Olhanense is a team for this challenge, as they were playable in the holiday season.

Well, now I hope that I havent screwed up! 

Olhanense came up as a newly promoted team after holidaying for one season. I loaded up a new save now and I see that they are playable in the first year, but that is in the league that becomes 4th tier. I have only taken the season summary promotion page as my starting point before picking a team. I really hope I haven't messed it up here, after so much back and forth. 

But I do believe this is what we ended up with. If not, I dont see how Spain and Portugal can be part of this challenge, unless there is something that i'm not getting here. 

Just going to tag @darren1983 so i'm sure that I dont brake any rules. 

24 minutes ago, OrToDaRy282 said:

I'm gonna wait to continue (probably starting over) with this challenge with Lokeren-Temse.

The bug non-contracts being transfer listed.
Team colours not correct (for me particular with this team a no-go)
Attendancy also not correct. 300 season tickets? We sold 1800 in real life!

Good that u posted this now.. Belgium was one of the league's i was thinking about to start .. so if non contracts are transfer listed, u can't take them off ?

2 minutes ago, OlivierL said:

Good that u posted this now.. Belgium was one of the league's i was thinking about to start .. so if non contracts are transfer listed, u can't take them off ?

I've seen it in Italy too. Cant remove them from transfer list

Edited by Diego D10S

2 minutes ago, thomas_e said:

Olhanense came up as a newly promoted team after holidaying for one season. I loaded up a new save now and I see that they are playable in the first year, but that is in the league that becomes 4th tier. I have only taken the season summary promotion page as my starting point before picking a team. I really hope I haven't messed it up here, after so much back and forth. 

But I do believe this is what we ended up with. If not, I dont see how Spain and Portugal can be part of this challenge, unless there is something that i'm not getting here. 

In spain a lot of third division teams get promoted and promote to the third division . They were playable from te start so that's why i couldn't pick them (Ibiza etc). I was only able to pick teams that got promoted from Tercera División . The current 4th tier , in 2021 this become the 5th tier.

I checked this now and Olhanense are playable from the start and have real results in the first season. So that's what Darren said that wasn't allowed for this challenge . 

a4d0d02f74663509d650138272327da0.png

Please correct if i'm wrong .  

U are right that this makes spain and portugal difficult countries for this challenge.

5 minutes ago, thomas_e said:

I do think I've done it correct though @Bartrcm. I looked back at the promotion screen and in Portugal, every single team listet under "promoted teams" were playable last season. 

I see that you have started on the 4th tier, but since that wasn't playable when you load up Portugal you can start with a promoted team in the third tier. Discussed earlier on this thread. 

5 minutes ago, OlivierL said:

In spain a lot of third division teams get promoted and promote to the third division . They were playable from te start so that's why i couldn't pick them (Ibiza etc). I was only able to pick teams that got promoted from Tercera División . The current 4th tier , in 2021 this become the 5th tier.

I checked this now and Olhanense are playable from the start and have real results in the first season. So that's what Darren said that wasn't allowed for this challenge . 

a4d0d02f74663509d650138272327da0.png

Please correct if i'm wrong .  

U are right that this makes spain and portugal difficult countries for this challenge.

Yes, you are correct, but then someone here has misunderstood, and that might be me! But I have simulated one year, then gone to the season summary page and picked a team promoted to the lowest possible league in that nation at the start of the game. Not tiers that are added along the way. And that is how I view Darren's instructions at the opening post: 

Spain/Portugal - due to the restructuring at the end of season 1 where the new 4th division comes into play meaning it messes with the promotion side of it all the best thing to do is to holiday one season (as normal) and then pick a team that has been promoted to the third tier, not the fourth tier that gets activated as playable leagues. So what this means is that you holiday season 1 as normal, and can pick any side listed under "promoted" in the season summary as long as they weren't playable season 1.  

@Bartrcm @darren1983

Edited by thomas_e

2 minutes ago, thomas_e said:

Yes, you are correct, but then someone here has misunderstood, and that might be me! But I have simulated one year, then gone to the season summary page and picked a team promoted to the lowest possible league in that nation at the start of the game. Not tiers that are added along the way. And that is how I view Darren's instructions at the opening post: 

Spain/Portugal - due to the restructuring at the end of season 1 where the new 4th division comes into play meaning it messes with the promotion side of it all the best thing to do is to holiday one season (as normal) and then pick a team that has been promoted to the third tier, not the fourth tier that gets activated as playable leagues. So what this means is that you holiday season 1 as normal, and can pick any side listed under "promoted" in the season summary as long as they weren't playable season 1.  

@Bartrcm @darren1983

If think that Darren should have add the word 'pick a team that wasn't playable'  . Otherwise i could pick Ibiza and Beira-mar :) Don't really mind that u would continue if u are enjoying the game. 

4 minutes ago, OlivierL said:

If think that Darren should have add the word 'pick a team that wasn't playable'  . Otherwise i could pick Ibiza and Beira-mar :) Don't really mind that u would continue if u are enjoying the game. 

Well, in Portugal, every single team listed under promoted teams were playable last season.

image.png.3fd1d4dfb3471dc2ba5775bfb9ed032d.png

Edited by thomas_e

4 minutes ago, thomas_e said:

Well, in Portugal, every single team listed under promoted teams were playable last season.

image.png.3fd1d4dfb3471dc2ba5775bfb9ed032d.png

Idd , that is why u have to pick a team that is promoted to the new 4th tier :(  That's what i understood from the posts last night about Spain, from Darren. 

2 minutes ago, OlivierL said:

Idd , that is why u have to pick a team that is promoted to the new 4th tier :(  That's what i understood from the posts last night about Spain, from Darren. 

Okey, but why is it then written like this: 

Spain/Portugal - due to the restructuring at the end of season 1 where the new 4th division comes into play meaning it messes with the promotion side of it all the best thing to do is to holiday one season (as normal) and then pick a team that has been promoted to the third tier, not the fourth tier that gets activated as playable leagues. So what this means is that you holiday season 1 as normal, and can pick any side listed under "promoted" in the season summary as long as they weren't playable season 1.  

11 minutes ago, thomas_e said:

Okey, but why is it then written like this: 

Spain/Portugal - due to the restructuring at the end of season 1 where the new 4th division comes into play meaning it messes with the promotion side of it all the best thing to do is to holiday one season (as normal) and then pick a team that has been promoted to the third tier, not the fourth tier that gets activated as playable leagues. So what this means is that you holiday season 1 as normal, and can pick any side listed under "promoted" in the season summary as long as they weren't playable season 1.  

It should be the fourth tier, if I have understood things correct. @darren1983?

OK so having looked at Portugal it's 100% my mistake for not understanding the change. I misunderstood what happens at the end of the season, so now from what I have seen to start in Portugal we do need to be starting in the 4th tier at the end of season 1 so have to pick from 1 of the promoted sides listed here:portg.thumb.png.df18d224ba578d3fab0829e61240af28.png

Might be called something else in game as I have the real names file but basically scroll right down to just above the cup and they're shown there

Assume it's same in Spain (I'll confirm shortly) but yeah, think this makes it even harder in Portugal now as these teams start from really low down. Just check they didn't have league games listed the previous season as some clubs at that level did.

31 minutes ago, Nottingham Forest said:

I’ve been holidaying awhile to get Basford to come up. Forgot to click to come off holiday on the 25th. So I’m at the 26th and shall use that. 

Not saying I’ll post as I’ve never been succesful.

I hope you post as like reading your stuff on here and the other forum.

Edited by DazRTaylor

8 minutes ago, darren1983 said:

OK so having looked at Portugal it's 100% my mistake for not understanding the change. I misunderstood what happens at the end of the season, so now from what I have seen to start in Portugal we do need to be starting in the 4th tier at the end of season 1 so have to pick from 1 of the promoted sides listed here:portg.thumb.png.df18d224ba578d3fab0829e61240af28.png

Might be called something else in game as I have the real names file but basically scroll right down to just above the cup and they're shown there

Assume it's same in Spain (I'll confirm shortly) but yeah, think this makes it even harder in Portugal now as these teams start from really low down. Just check they didn't have league games listed the previous season as some clubs at that level did.

Okay, thanks for clarifying so there is no confusion. 

Then @OlivierL, to answer your question from a few hours ago: I'm not playing with anyone. 

Edited by thomas_e

Yeah it's the same in Spain, need to pick one of the sides listed here (but not a B side from a bigger club obvs)

espa.thumb.png.da937ff0e2f2ca26284c4b73ebddc09a.png

My apologies everyone, I completely misunderstood what the restructuring actually was, I should really have spent some time checking it out before posting. That's my fault. I'll change the OP now. 

18 minutes ago, scarp said:

Can you guys explain to me what's wrong with picking promoted sides into 4th tier? 

Nothing really, a couple leagues have a lower tier that is viewable but not playable (Norway and France for example I think) and I thought this was the same but it's not. Now I've looked at it properly I see my mistake.