The FM21 Youth Academy Challenge

• Replies 8.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, thomas_e said:

Maybe I should out some more time into experimenting, as I haven't focused on determination as an attribute, only personality. 

But both strategies have served us both well I guess! 

Yeah, it't not a perfect min/max strategy here, but overall Ambition, Determination and Professionalism is the three keys to how well a player will progress and improve (in addition to matches at the right level, training, facilities and all that of course), so the ultimate player will have high levels in all those 3. Since we can see the Det in the profile, that's knows, while the other two are hidden and that's why I rate them higher for personality. Not that I'd pick a Professional HoYD with 1 Det, of course!

But that's why I want Model Citizens, since they have 18-20 in all 3 (in addition to all the others). It's also why "Perfectionist" is one of the best ones (18-20 in all 3), and why I consider "Balanced" a poor one (1-14 in all 3).

Edited by XaW

3 minutes ago, XaW said:

It's also why "Perfectionist" is one of the best ones (18-20 in all 3)

And just now, I found out that is wrong now. There is one available and he has 14 Det. Still not bad though, but the number are changed!

1 minute ago, XaW said:

Yeah, it't not a perfect min/max strategy here, but overall Ambition, Determination and Professionalism is the three keys to how well a player will progress and improve (in addition to matches at the right level, training, facilities and all that of course), so the ultimate player will have high levels in all those 3. Since we can see the Det in the profile, that's knows, while the other two are hidden and that's why I rate them higher for personality. Not that I'd pick a Professional HoYD with 1 Det, of course!

But that's why I want Model Citizens, since they have 18-20 in all 3 (in addition to all the others). It's also why "Perfectionist" is one of the best ones, and why I consider "Balanced" a poor one (1-14 in all 3).

Yes, model citizens are great, but I get them fairly rarely! In my Cottbus save I got great success with a team basically consisting of exclusively determined personality types. 

But I would guess that the nation one play in also plays a big part. When I was in the Bundesliga with Cottbus I think I had 19 coaches exclusively in the U19s. That's excluding fitness and GK coaches. That meant I had 5 stars on basically every aspect of training and I had world class facilities. I also had 19 affiliated clubs, meaning I got many more players in the youth intake. This is a luxury situation and you don't have to work as hard getting good players! 

Doing the challenge in Norway is another game..

1 minute ago, XaW said:

And just now, I found out that is wrong now. There is one available and he has 14 Det. Still not bad though, but the number are changed!

Just to quote myself again, by going of what the Interwebz is saying Perfectionist is 18-20 in Pro and Amb, but not Det anymore... I did find a page to calculate it, but it seems to be based on the thread i posted earlier, so it might be a bit outdated, but could still be useful.

http://zfn4fun.github.io/fm/att/index.html

5 hours ago, XaW said:

Also, a little heads up as to why I rate personalities as much as I do. Take a look at the progress of two players, who are both good.

Nasri Stubberud 23a - The beast I posted earlier. He is Unambitious and this is his changes since he came through:

image.thumb.png.5c533e5d938273fa0f2c8b540cd4108b.png

So, a drop or no change in most. A slight increase of Determination (due to squad influence) and 1 up in stamina. That's it, he is not getting better even if he plays most matches. He still performs, but that is because of his initial talent, not training and improving. So let's compare with a person with a good personality!

Einar Andersen 23f - Came through at the same time as the kid above, but he has a "Resolute" personality. Not the best, but still a good one. Here is his changes:

image.thumb.png.162693ca9ea4752ced305df78d95a585.png

While he wasn't as highly rated as Stubberud, he has had a major increase in attributes all over the board. Physicals are excellent while the rest are also good. A slight downturn in Determination, but once again due to squad influence pulling the outliers towards the middle.

Suddenly Stubberud doesn't look like he is so much better than Andersen any more.

image.thumb.png.abd469c00b8867d646b84e52018e84c6.png

Just to refresh, he wasn't nearly as highly rated when he came through, but now he is rated as our best defender by far.

Personality is really important and getting good staff members with good personality is my main thing ! I'm still using my excels with colors that splits the positive and negative personalities for staff and youth players. 

2 hours ago, XaW said:

I'm not sure to be honest. When the editor comes out you can probably check it, but I would be careful to put too much time into it, but you are of course free to do as you like. Simply a friendly warning of something that could be ruining for this challenge.

Hmm... guess we have a slightly different take. I love Professionality, but I also value Determination, so I look for professionals with a high Determination score, since it's visible. Determined or Fairly Determined is just how high their Determination score is, so I value the hidden ones higher since I can live with 13 Determination (The lowest score for F.Det if I'm not wrong) and a Professional personality.

I'm still relying on this thread though, and I know there are some changes to it, but I don't think they are too massive. I haven't seen any more recent one that are that complete.

That the thread that I based my excel (hidden attributes ) calculator on , great thread! 

2 hours ago, XaW said:

Just to quote myself again, by going of what the Interwebz is saying Perfectionist is 18-20 in Pro and Amb, but not Det anymore... I did find a page to calculate it, but it seems to be based on the thread i posted earlier, so it might be a bit outdated, but could still be useful.

http://zfn4fun.github.io/fm/att/index.html

Anything changed dramatically changed on this FM ?

eaa044cd2e3344ce12de29554a9dca63.pngb078e4ceefa53ffb3dd858093beb2483.png7ff375733f76246b0d7c6059679c60d0.png

Edited by OlivierL

11 minutes ago, scarp said:

Does mercenary only mean that they're not loyal and want money or is there any other con?

I consider Mercenary and Fickle as negative traits, but that's more based on how I think about the words, not by any basis...

To expand, they have high to very high ambition, but low to very low loyalty...

Edited by XaW

@OlivierL - Why do you have confrontational as a positive? As far as I can tell it only means low sportsmanship and temperament as well as high controversy? Or do you know something I don't? :)

Edited by XaW
wrong word...

4 minutes ago, XaW said:

I consider Mercenary and Fickle as negative traits, but that's more based on how I think about the words, not by any basis...

I know that last year, in my Ile de France topic, I had a discussion about 'Mercenary'.

It sounds weird that it provides good development but the player in question has a serious fixed ambition ' 16-20' . That is why it is higher on the list.

In one of my trials, the Mercenary guy developed really good but since u don't get many mercenary  , i'm unable to prove it with a lot of examples.

1 minute ago, OlivierL said:

I know that last year, in my Ile de France topic, I had a discussion about 'Mercenary'.

It sounds weird that it provides good development but the player in question has a serious fixed ambition ' 16-20' . That is why it is higher on the list.

In one of my trials, the Mercenary guy developed really good but since u don't get many mercenary  , i'm unable to prove it with a lot of examples.

Yeah, I know they have high ambition, but I also think they are the kinds of players to kick up a fuzz quite easily... So they can be hard to keep happy, at least.

Just now, OlivierL said:

Controversial has fixed professionalism ' 13-20' . that's why.

You're sure? I can't find any info regarding that in my sources? I do find "Unflappable" to be a good one though, even if it mostly affect pressure, rather than Amb, Det, or Pro...

I will try this challenge again, when I'm a bit more used to FM21. Currently trying stuff out with La Coruña. As always my favourite part of the challenge is reading all the updates in this thread. :lol:

Edited by Atrux

2 minutes ago, JLAB said:

Seems like someone like Richard Money would be perfect for the role then personality wise. He's a perfectionist, 14 determination and has a level-headed media handling. 

Sounds like a diamond if his working with youngster and judging attributes are high!

3 minutes ago, XaW said:

Sounds like a diamond if his working with youngster and judging attributes are high!

15 for them all.

He does prefer the Route One tactical style and the 4-4-2 formation though.

Just now, JLAB said:

15 for them all.

He does prefer the Route One tactical style and the 4-4-2 formation though.

Yeah, he probably won't give you many playmakers, but other than that he sounds like an excellent choice.

Brora Rangers 2031/32

6b2190dfba11f95ccaf183ed9b8a2419.png

ee75d122ec0477c4110534458d4a5eb3.png

I was really worried before this season and my expectations were quite low.. And I was wrong, our best season so far. We managed to replace Morrison & MacRae, we now often play only with one striker in 4-4-1-1 although sometimes I still go back to the old 4-4-2 diamond. Rae started to score goals for us and McLeod from last year's intake was very important. We also managed to upgrade youth recruitment and junior coaching and this year's intake was fantastic! Although our finances are not :lol: Here's to even better tomorrows. Nathan Bell from this year's intake already played six games for us and I hope he will make a great trio with Gamble & Ogg as resting one of these was always a huge issue through out the season. 

37e87591520d14332272b965e4ee1c78.png

Transfers | Youth in-take

Key players: Jamie StephenKieran Ogg & Millar Gamble

Youth watch: Ewan WilliamsNathan Bell & Kerr Connelly

3415f596393647de4b410d48679814be.png

3 minutes ago, OlivierL said:

idd Perfectionist has '14-20' for amb, prof and det.

Yeah, it used to be 18-20, but I saw it change. Still a great personality though!

7 minutes ago, jmonfu said:

Thanks @XaW for spoiling my party in Belarus :).  Decided to go to Belgium

spacer.png

This can't be true :) i'm planning starting with them since sunday, found a kit yesterday night and was going to post everything this evening (already starrted).. but i hate it when two people play with a small club at the same time. Damn u ! :) 

Edited by OlivierL

3 minutes ago, OlivierL said:

This can't be true :) i'm planning starting with them since sunday, found a kit yesterday night and was going to post everything this evening (already starrted).. but i hate it when two people play with a small club at the same time. Damn u ! :) 

Oh sorry @OlivierL.  If you have any attachement to them I can take another club no problem.  

Edited by jmonfu

nuneaton-borough-badge | Chorley FC

Nuneaton Borough 2021/22 Season review.

Competitions

Vanarama National League North - League Table

FA Cup - lost in 2nd qualifying round

FA Trophy - lost in 2nd qualifying round

This season will go into the book as successful, however our finishing position of 11th hides the roller coaster nature of our results. We made a cracking start, going unbeaten in the opening 6 games and peaked with a 6-2 win against. After this game, we lost our way and gradually drifted down the table. After 26 games, I was firmly looking down and checking the relegation spots, at this point we changed our approach. This brought a positive change in form and we managed to win half of the remaining 20 games. 

This form would see us challenge for the playoffs next season, so perhaps room for optimism. 

Playing squad 

The squad I inherited is really interesting. Some great quality in a few aging players (a 39 Carl Baker, being the stand out!). A handful of young, but first team quality players who will be the core of the team for years and a handful of exciting young players. The transfer listing bug is a struggle here as I have 4-5 players in this limbo, but luckily they are still with me for now. 

Naturally, with the aging players there will be a transition, which will see their influence lessen next season, but with good personalities, I'll keep them for another year. 

Youth team

image.png.b9d201fe107deee0669ffac9ac03b6bd.png

The intake preview warned me this intake would be poor, so I was incredibly surprised to see the depth of talent that came through. 

There was a great mix of positions and an interesting mix of nationalities, including Iceland and Ivory Coast. These two also happened to be the most talented and already had their first team debuts. 

Amongst these players I genuinely believe we have 4-5 first teamers of the future, so the future is bright in Nuneaton! 

Transfers, Finances and Facilities 

A cash injection from the board has kept things looking healthy. No change with the facilities this season. 
Edited by Sanno11

2022 South Shields Youth Intake

1726974751_2022YouthIntake.png.0a7c33da38c68df548defa2a5af02126.png

Lives up to it's billing of an "excellent" youth intake but not a golden generation.

1208202551_2022YouthIntakeDNA.thumb.png.067f73249d13e8fc2f50d67fb8bdfb16.png

A lot of crappy personalities.  I'm interested to see how Shane Wilson, my lowest rated player (right now) in terms of potential, develops as a player.  My HoYD does not rate him highly but he has that Perfectionist personality.

980859976_MarcHodgson22a.thumb.png.bfd4aac0aa090e8852f477a7cd31c6d4.png

949421450_LukeGriffiths22B.thumb.png.67c7ebce70f469abedcf394b56b9519f.png

669219824_WilloMurray23C.thumb.png.a83fb201c4e43ceeadf80b4a1a6e347f.png

1584292119_SeanCrawford22D.thumb.png.90e91a74f843ae81a0436c08e1b646e9.png

224136702_LuisHolloway22E.thumb.png.9cb20883e4ca0bc6a02708dbd97f81a6.png

25 minutes ago, Braumiller said:

Fun back story - Iskenderun is the place where Indiana Jones starts his quest for the Holy Grail (the actual Holy Grail, not our Holy Grail of the Champions League trophy :D ) in Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade.  This gives you unlimited puns and gifs to use :)

Best Should Have Chosen A Different Scene GIFs | Gfycat

De leeuwen van't stad - The lions of the city !

178.png.d3474b2c09266ef8c163e1d6cd3a94c1.png

Berchem Sport - Intro - 3th tier - Eerste Nationale

Database |Club info | Club Vision Facilities |Finances Squad | Youth intake 21

c30ba4a40ff3b29dc88f7d43dca7aedc.png
Intro

8c02c7f14b17314559b1cfdf6392b9e4.png

Why Berchem ? My hometown Antwerp club and I live very close to Berchem(located in Antwerp). A Youth only with players from Antwerp is what I've wanted to do for a long time with my own club (Royal Antwerp FC , but they play in the first division) I also know a lot of (youth) players and staff members of Berchem. Berchem is the friendly rival of my club and is nicknamed 'the nicest team in town'. Berchem has also received the 'Royal' title in their name, which is something special in Belgium. Berchem was in first division for 41 years. The last year was in 86 / 87 and they became 3 times vice-champion but never champion. After finding old kits (and today i was able to replace them with new created kits , thanks @stefaanpeeraer ) I was ready to go.

Third tier in Belgium seems to me to be the right choice for me. No small country, no big country either. starting in a third division is not too high or too low and Berchem has quite good youth facilities (hopefully they cost me less than at Belenenses) and reputation. We start with 19 senior players (3 will leave) and 5 youth players.

48506ef6bae25a434424c95183dbbcf6.jpg

In Antwerp we have three 'big' teams . Royal Antwerp F.C. (Bosuilstadion), Beerschot(Olympisch Stadion) and Berchem Sport.

Manager

6591090aac91302954294b46bb9abfb6.png
I'll use the surname of a legendary ex-player of Berchem . Ludo Coeck.  Born in Berchem, Ludo played in Berchem's youth and made his debut at the age of 16. After seven matches he went to Anderlecht and later Inter Milan. He played 46 times for Belgium and unfortunately died at the age of 30 in a car accident. The Berchem stadium carries his name.

188cccedac31c7566de2a626edf44fc7.png

Unfortunately there is one mistake in the database and that is the stadium. Berchem has a beautiful old stadium but half of it was recently demolished. This beautiful gate and main stand is left over.  The database uses their old capacity; while in reality they have 1250 seats ( 360 seats) . In the future they will get a new stadium for 4000 seats.

efcbdf094c78c3477d79b2763f471912.jpg

Ludo Coeck stadium - build in 1929

10a176eecc6d1a8054d754b1ed24972e.png46480d93810926fa84e08069c6770ec4.png
           What is left of the Ludo Coeck Stadium since 2020 .

Key players

c8ed72559765540843a2d5230462f89a.png4e9c19fb6a6563473e5c2ff58f133a31.png

Youth intake 2021 - Best of the class

82901fcd284ded3ed261320b89964533.pnga733d7d8acc24bc9b8443e5bc8cd0dfa.png
I tag/sort them by CA after youth intake (calculated by using my Excel). Both lads will feature in the first team.

839ff1e453e199e445acf0e989e29318.png

Edited by OlivierL

Just now, lloyd_doyley said:

Wow... my new 17 year old star striker Barcham has started for England under 19s! Can't happen to many Scottish League 2 players...

20201116215538_1.jpg

It took me +- 8 seasons before one of my Caley Braves (scotland) boys was selected for Scotland. off course they had Frens nationality first :) 

Season 2 is over. Spainish 4th tier is really hard but we made. 90 teams playing for only 4 promotion spots. Managed to finish 3rd in the regular season but beat Atletico Bilbao C and Pontevedra in the playoffs and got promoted, despite the board only expecting top half. Finances are really bad, I´m afraid i will lose a lot of players this season.

Antonio Fernandez has been instrumental in the last 2 years, with 77 goals in total. Julian Garcia 21A and Pablo 22B are my best newgens right now. Got a decent intake this season, i am having a lot of fun with Toledo.Screenshot_363.png.6235c8865a89aed449fbd4961db9a1ad.png

Screenshot_364.png.093d5e05ef377678a7a5f108a16894a1.png

Screenshot_368.png.8125b3b09ea2a248173ee9ce7b7a286e.png

Screenshot_369.png.246183ecfc22962370b01e42050af78d.png

Best youngster: Screenshot_370.png.4581338268d9fb6e72721edc7e62446e.png

Edited by filipefm20

12 minutes ago, stefaanpeeraer said:

@jmonfu how did you get KSV Temse? They merged with Lokeren? That club is now Lokeren-Temse if i am not mistaking.

goodluck in Belgium

Well they got promoted in my save.  As you can see its the Beta I'm playing.  What I added was the FMScout Real Name Licence Fix.  Is that not ok?  We are predicted 14th

14 minutes ago, stefaanpeeraer said:

@jmonfu how did you get KSV Temse? They merged with Lokeren? That club is now Lokeren-Temse if i am not mistaking.

goodluck in Belgium

Shall I show a screenie of the promoted sides when I get KSV Temse?