Disable First Transfer Window

What's everyone's thoughts on this? It adds realism by starting the season with the existing squad but IRL new managers would need that first window to resolve any issues in the squad or bring in loans. Am trying to be as realistic & LLM style as possible.

1 ora fa, anagain ha scritto:

I believe it's added because the database is as of the end of that transfer window. So in theory you have a squad that has already been strengthened in the transfer window.

Exactly. 
Btw @bruntonpasty the other years the game didn't give money to the user in january even if other teams were spending without problems lol Let's hope that now they solved this bug 

I must say I'm incredibly disappointed by the changes made to the "Disable First Window Transfer Activity" function. I always start my games with this box checked, as forcing a second transfer window on the already newly-updated squads has always seemed silly to me. This way it's as if I took over the club as-is and the world begins from there.

That being said, when this option was checked in FM18 I would get absolutely ZERO transfer budget, and while I may have a million sitting in the wage budget I was unable to move the slider that allocates where the money goes, meaning I didn't even have enough spare change to hire a better Assistant Manger or pay the nominal signing on fee for a Serie C free agent. You're able to make changes to staff automatically when you are signed by a new club later on, and free transfers are allowed after the window closes anyway, so there is no need for this to be blocked. Trying to preserve starting reality shouldn't result in a complete financial freeze, and I posted in the feature request forum each year asking for this to be fixed.

Now in FM19 you're just completely barred from even opening a negotiation window for a transfer, loan, or free agent completely? Why? Even if there's no transfer window you're still always allowed to at least pick up free agents. (And to make matters worse, there's currently a bug where it doesn't even turn off after the window closes, and keeps blocking transfers even afterwards.) How am I supposed to choose between an unrealistic second window and an unrealistic complete freeze of any and all signings of staff or players when I take over a new club? It's like we're being punished for realism. I was really hoping they would take my feedback onboard and improve this flawed by underrated feature, but instead they've made it unusable.

Is there any chance this could be fixed before full release?

3 hours ago, Weston said:

I must say I'm incredibly disappointed by the changes made to the "Disable First Window Transfer Activity" function. I always start my games with this box checked, as forcing a second transfer window on the already newly-updated squads has always seemed silly to me. This way it's as if I took over the club as-is and the world begins from there.

That being said, when this option was checked in FM18 I would get absolutely ZERO transfer budget, and while I may have a million sitting in the wage budget I was unable to move the slider that allocates where the money goes, meaning I didn't even have enough spare change to hire a better Assistant Manger or pay the nominal signing on fee for a Serie C free agent. You're able to make changes to staff automatically when you are signed by a new club later on, and free transfers are allowed after the window closes anyway, so there is no need for this to be blocked. Trying to preserve starting reality shouldn't result in a complete financial freeze, and I posted in the feature request forum each year asking for this to be fixed.

Now in FM19 you're just completely barred from even opening a negotiation window for a transfer, loan, or free agent completely? Why? Even if there's no transfer window you're still always allowed to at least pick up free agents. (And to make matters worse, there's currently a bug where it doesn't even turn off after the window closes, and keeps blocking transfers even afterwards.) How am I supposed to choose between an unrealistic second window and an unrealistic complete freeze of any and all signings of staff or players when I take over a new club? It's like we're being punished for realism. I was really hoping they would take my feedback onboard and improve this flawed by underrated feature, but instead they've made it unusable.

I agree 100%. I've ticked this option many a time for the sake of realism, so I was bemused when I found I couldn't even bring in free transfers or triallists.

I always thought in the past that the option just gave you less of a budget. Now it's pretty much a transfer embargo.

I'm wondering if this is a bug as it also does not let you do the transfer induction - which was acknowledged as a bug. 

I always switch it off. But I usually can at least do a loan or get in a free transfer. It meant the budget was 0. 

Right now, I can't do anything. The transfer screen is locked. Can't get in any loan or sign a free transfer. 

It must be a bug?

vor 6 Minuten schrieb tyro:

Right now, I can't do anything. The transfer screen is locked. Can't get in any loan or sign a free transfer. 

It must be a bug?

Loans and free transfers are also transfer activities. 

I understand the logic. Just saying if it was changed. Anyways submitted it in the bugs forum to see if this is intended or not. 

It used to be : clicking it you have 0 budget. 

Now: clicking it you can't go into the transfer screen. 

If that is intended. Ok. Fine. Seems a bit extreme but ok. So I know. 

12 minutes ago, CelticCelticCeltic said:

Disable first transfer window activity - the clues in the name 

It now perfectly reflects what I've wanted it to do for years 

This. Used to tick it hoping to use the original squads, then half the league would sign about 15 loanees.

7 minutes ago, CelticCelticCeltic said:

Disable first transfer window activity - the clues in the name 

It now perfectly reflects what I've wanted it to do for years 

Yes, but it depends on the database. For instance, I'm playing as Eastleigh and I have one goalkeeper. In the real world they have a young Sunderland keeper on loan, but he's not at Eastleigh in the game. I have no U23 or U18 squad so I'm limited to one keeper until January. Eastleigh played Bournemouth in the Hampshire Senior Cup not too long ago and featured a whole bunch of their youngsters. None of those players are in the game.

It's fine if you're Liverpool or Chelsea; it's more hampering than realistic for lower league teams.

All the game needs is an option to lower or freeze transfer budget for the first window. There's no reason to ban loans, free transfer or even trials.

Keep the option to completely ban trasnfer activity in the first window; that's fine. I think an option to lower transfer funds for the first window is definitely needed though.

5 hours ago, KUBI said:

Loans and free transfers are also transfer activities. 

Surely you see the difference though? We want an option that does not add a second transfer window with transfer budgets in the summer before the season starts, because that's realistic, but we don't want the game to inexplicably ban signing free agents, which you can do year-round, which is not realistic. We've been asking for this feature to be improved for years and it's been made even more unusable. Football isn't an arcade game where everything can be turned on or off, there is nuance needed for immersion, and this kills it.

Not trying to be dramatic but this has genuinely dampened my excitement to start a save, because I start in Serie C and now I have to decide between the game instantly being ruined by all the squads changing or having my hands tied completely and taking away my favorite part of the game (clever, no-budget squad building with a terribly set-up lower-league side), and neither sounds particularly fun...

Just now, KUBI said:

I think the issue is, that when the transfer window is closed you still can't sign free agents. This should be changed. 

That is one issue that should be changed, yes please!

But also add to this the fact that it was already nearly impossible to sign free players and even staff because even a $1K signing on fee couldn't be spent or allocated from the existing wage budget, and that should be changed as well. Surely there is a way to make it so you just can't fully purchase and transfer a player from another team, but you can still do all of the other normal stuff. If I take over a Serie C side I need to be able to pick up new staff and free agent players with the increased wage budget I get from cancelling loans, dropping players and staff, etc.

We just want a realistic environment in which to do this incremental but crucial squad-building, not a complete embargo that, as of now, is extending even past the window ends because of a bug.

So somehow the bad news gets worse... apparently the bug where the "disable first transfer window" feature does not end after the first transfer window and continues to disable transfers even afterwards is actually... intended for some reason?? From another thread in the bug forum:

9 minutes ago, Ben Kenney said:

At present the 'Disable First Window Transfer Activity' will stop transfers up until the opening of the January transfer window. If you or anyone else is experiencing a bug where they are unable to make transfers in January then please log this as a bug with a save game showing the issue. 

I've just tried here on the same build that you are on. As Blackburn manager i can make transfer at the opening of the January 2019 window. 

Why should turning off the summer transfer window keep you from picking up free agents in the fall half of the season, and why should it keep you from pre-negotiating deals for the forthcoming January window? This is crazy unrealistic, limiting, and flat-out misleading, and it will really kill a lot of the fun of playing lower leagues...

Please, please fix this.

11 minutes ago, ale1969 said:

I was playing in the brazilian legue and I couldn't even ask for loan extensions in December because I decided to start playing in September.

Ugh, I didn't even think of that issue. Good catch. Hopefully they can fix these problems for the full release...

I think that the new system works for big clubs but that there's some oversight for lower leagues, such as National League South (the first transfer window ends on 28th of March). My perfect scenario is that the squads are locked until the beginning of the playing season, considering that many of the teams in these leagues will be missing players who are currently on short term loan deals which bolster their ranks. The problem I have with the National League scenario is that, for an option thats purpose is to add realism, it locks all loans and free agents until the end of March due to the window rule which is unrealistic. My own personal work around is to not select it and then start the season at the first champions league games in September, avoiding the transfer window but also allowing lower league clubs to sign realstically. I have to say I completely disagree with trials being stopped at all during this, however, it hardly counts as transfer activity to me they're essentially just training with the club with no financial commitment.

21 hours ago, Weston said:

there was a known bug reported in FM18 and if I remember correctly in earlier versions too especially using a custom start date or a non traditional start date eg Brazil December 2017/18 etc

the result was in the next window AI teams/ and or your team still didnt get allocated transfer budgets

the best way around this is to set up your own transfer embargo to cover this opening window using the pre game editor ,wont take long depending on your  computer specs can mass edit the DB very quickly ...but SI in their wisdom dont release the editors  until the full game comes out:brock:

3 hours ago, Ber-T said:

I think that the new system works for big clubs but that there's some oversight for lower leagues, such as National League South (the first transfer window ends on 28th of March). My perfect scenario is that the squads are locked until the beginning of the playing season, considering that many of the teams in these leagues will be missing players who are currently on short term loan deals which bolster their ranks. The problem I have with the National League scenario is that, for an option thats purpose is to add realism, it locks all loans and free agents until the end of March due to the window rule which is unrealistic. My own personal work around is to not select it and then start the season at the first champions league games in September, avoiding the transfer window but also allowing lower league clubs to sign realstically. I have to say I completely disagree with trials being stopped at all during this, however, it hardly counts as transfer activity to me they're essentially just training with the club with no financial commitment.

Exactly, it works for bigger clubs but not lower league. It might work if lower league U23s and U18 were fully fleshed out, but they generally aren't.

At the end of the day this is a game. Many people want a way to simulate that the squads have been through the transfer window, but without being hamstrung with a complete blockage of transfers. The fact that short term loans are not included in the FM database is a huge aspect of this. Small clubs often rely on short term loans to booster squads.

For now I'm playing with the option turned off. I have to. I have no other choice because few clubs at my level have the players needed in the base squads to complete a season. As I have said, if U23 and U18 squads were fleshed out then they would. But they're simply not. Neither my U23 or U18 have one player (Eastleigh). I have no one to suplement my first team squad with, as clubs at that level would do in real life.

3 hours ago, kingrobbo said:

the best way around this is to set up your own transfer embargo to cover this opening window using the pre game editor ,wont take long depending on your  computer specs can mass edit the DB very quickly ...but SI in their wisdom dont release the editors  until the full game comes out:brock:

Please explain to me how to do this

The way I’d do it is filter for all professional clubs who do not already have a transfer embargo then highlight say 250 at a time & set an embargo that ends on 1 Dec 2018.

We’ll have to wait until the full release to provide screenshots.

It is worth going back to @Ben Kenney to ask for the decision to not change the way this change has been implemented to be reconsidered when a league does not have a transfer window, it could be argued the game is now disabling something that does not exist which could be considered a bug.

46 minutes ago, Weston said:

Please explain to me how to do this

in editor search for clubs set results to unlimited 

I do all clubs with reputation above 2000 first - mass edit all clubs- set transfer embargo via finance section to date you want save

repeat to clubs with value under 2000 

depending on your specs wont take long I have built a system for FM play so it takes less than 2 mins to do the lot

16 minutes ago, Barside said:

The way I’d do it is filter for all professional clubs who do not already have a transfer embargo then highlight say 250 at a time & set an embargo that ends on 1 Dec 2018.

We’ll have to wait until the full release to provide screenshots.

I didn't realize that was a thing you could do. I will definitely check back here once the editor is out. I had already been using the editor to work around the previous issue where you couldn't sign free agents with the window disabled because the feature used to make it so you could not allocate even enough transfer budget for a signing on fee. I was really just hoping they'd fix that bit and we'd be golden.

17 minutes ago, Barside said:

It is worth going back to @Ben Kenney to ask for the decision to not change the way this change has been implemented to be reconsidered when a league does not have a transfer window, it could be argued the game is now disabling something that does not exist which could be considered a bug.

I've already been chatting with him about this in the bug forum (I did initially think this was a bug which is why I posted there, though it turns out this was actually intended to work this way, I just disagree). Hopefully SI are able to take our feedback into consideration for the full release :)

1 minute ago, kingrobbo said:

in editor search for clubs set results to unlimited 

I do all clubs with reputation above 2000 first - mass edit all clubs- set transfer embargo via finance section to date you want save

repeat to clubs with value under 2000 

depending on your specs wont take long

And so this just keeps them from buying and selling players for the window? Does this block loans and frees? How do I sort just the clubs that have active windows at that time? Will this keep clubs from pre-negotiating deals to automatically take place January 1 when the window opens? Sorry for so many questions, just trying to understand so I can plan my save, and it's hard to visualize without the editor out.

Transfer embargos are absolute so based on previous year's the clubs will not do any work towards any type of signing until the ban ends.

As for the playability concerns you can also raise these oiutside of the fourm, tweet the FM account & Miles outling how the feature has a negative impact on your gameplay experience by preventing transfers in a league that does not actually have a transfer window.

You can also look at the level of data, as you've already mentioned part-time clubs tend to only have senior squad players recorded in the database so link back to the change in this feature as a reason for more reserve & youth team players to be included in the relevent data fourm thread, doing a little bit of research on the reserve/youth squads of your chosen club to at least be able to list missing players would also be helpful. Another option is for the 'Add players to playable teams' function to be tweaked so that it populates reserve & youth squads with generated players to make up the numbers so that when this feature is used yours & all other clubs have an adequate pool of players, this could be considered as a knock-on defect of the new feature & I would have raised it as a bug in the other gameplay issues section. 

I raised this yesterday, great in Higher leagues, a total disaster in LLM.  Many conference clubs North/South and below sign players on short term contracts, this kills the realism and is overkill how it is now done on FM19.  Also it has caused the other issue I have of no goalie for 5months and now unable to sign an emergency replacement, which is gaming breaking.

Very poor why this has been changed, as usual the LLM side has been left as a bit of an after thought :(

7 hours ago, Barside said:

As for the playability concerns you can also raise these oiutside of the fourm, tweet the FM account & Miles outling how the feature has a negative impact on your gameplay experience by preventing transfers in a league that does not actually have a transfer window.

I've tried tweeting about an issue to the official FM account before (it was in reference to the other main problem in FM, the fact that negotiating loans is still not accurately represented after years of it being this way) and was just told to post about it here. Does it really have any sort of impact?

Also I'm confused by what you mean - what leagues don't have transfer windows? Do you mean that leagues with windows at different times are still blocked July-December? I have other problems with this new feature as listed above.

11 hours ago, Major Raver said:

I raised this yesterday, great in Higher leagues, a total disaster in LLM.  Many conference clubs North/South and below sign players on short term contracts, this kills the realism and is overkill how it is now done on FM19.  Also it has caused the other issue I have of no goalie for 5months and now unable to sign an emergency replacement, which is gaming breaking.

Very poor why this has been changed, as usual the LLM side has been left as a bit of an after thought :(

Glad I wasn't the only one with a lack of keepers. 

I'm with you on asking why this was changed? It does feel like SI totally ignored any thought on how this would effect LLM. Do they expect everyone to play as top teams?

13 hours ago, anagain said:

Glad I wasn't the only one with a lack of keepers. 

I'm with you on asking why this was changed? It does feel like SI totally ignored any thought on how this would effect LLM. Do they expect everyone to play as top teams?

It will completely spoil LLM as it is.  The old way worked perfectly in my book.

1 hour ago, Major Raver said:

It will completely spoil LLM as it is.  The old way worked perfectly in my book.

The old way did have some problems with still not being able to sign free agents at times because the game wouldn't let you put any transfer budget towards the signing on fee or agent fee, but that was solvable with the editor at least for the human manager, and still far and away better than this!

I just don't understand why this new style REPLACED the old one, which, with a few tweaks, would've been perfect. I've seen maybe one or two people max say something positive about the new style, but I see no reason why BOTH options can't coexist to give us more choice in how we prefer to play the game.

On 20/10/2018 at 02:39, Barside said:

On 20/10/2018 at 10:07, Weston said:

I've tried tweeting about an issue to the official FM account before (it was in reference to the other main problem in FM, the fact that negotiating loans is still not accurately represented after years of it being this way) and was just told to post about it here. Does it really have any sort of impact?

Also I'm confused by what you mean - what leagues don't have transfer windows? Do you mean that leagues with windows at different times are still blocked July-December? I have other problems with this new feature as listed above.

@Barside Sorry to bother you again just want to get your thoughts on the above if possible

Does this mean that MLS clubs can’t complete Trades as well if the first transfer window is closed? 

I always go for ultra realism: window closed and only clubs without managers being available. Always start with MLS then move to Europe after one season, it’s like playing 1718 for free. 

Ps: anyone know which clubs don’t have managers in FM19? I don’t have beta yet. 

i never play for big clubs, I always play for small clubs where there is the possibility of progress. new rules are disadvantageous for small clubs where you must complete the squad list by a free players. Please allow trials and signing free players when the first transfer window is closed. 

I ususally make a CaC Team and take the weakest ones and already the very first Transfer Window is of very urgency for the success.

Usually i will make much loan deals and a few Transfers like free tansfers from Amateur Players good enough to play the lowest playable german league while improving my Team without Breaking its neck financially.

I need the first Transfer Window.

Why is it such an issue? 

You have the option not to disable the transfer window and limit yourselves to loans and frees - the game will inherently have a very quiet window as clubs have done their business already.

The realism argument amuses me. 'uts just spent x amount on fred and dalot, Cant have a second window'... Yeh but they also had mourinho and youve just taken the job...

Realism, as far as that aspect goes, for me is new manager new window. Irl more often than not a manager uses the first opportunity to bring in his own staff and players, why would i be any different. I take over from mourinho as utd manager and my game world starts there... New manager i want to clear the dead wood and bring in my own players. 

Yes, when you start as a new manager you should get to hire new staff and it baffles me a bit that this option has still not been included. But what's the point of playing with the updated database if you're going to completely change it with a second transfer window from the start anyway? Why are you amused by people striving for realism in Football Manager?

Regardless, if you feel differently that is fine - there is no excuse to not have options that suit both sides. A lot of us play this way and I think it's completely reasonable for us to request FM include an option that allows us to preserve the starting database without an unrealistic second window in a way that doesn't block hiring new staff or free agents, etc.

I always play with closed window, just my preference, my only issue with the new way is not being able to send a player to an affiliate club so I can get my young keeper some good playing time.

15 minutes ago, Weston said:

Why are you amused by people striving for realism in Football Manager?

Im not. Im saying taking over a new club and not using a transfer window is unrealistic, in my view. How often IRL does a new manager take over in a window and NOT sign anyone... Very rare. 

Regarding the idea of it being a 'second window' is flawed too, as the budgets are SI best efforts to assume what the clubs would still have in the budget IRL. For instance City start with 60m and Seb explained why; they made a 60m bid for Jorginho and were unsuccessful, after that they made no other transfers. 

If Pep left before Aug 9 and another manager took over, they would have had 60m to spend... And as i say, would be very rare for a new manager not to bring in any players. 

26 minutes ago, westy8chimp said:

Im not. Im saying taking over a new club and not using a transfer window is unrealistic, in my view. How often IRL does a new manager take over in a window and NOT sign anyone... Very rare. 

Regarding the idea of it being a 'second window' is flawed too, as the budgets are SI best efforts to assume what the clubs would still have in the budget IRL. For instance City start with 60m and Seb explained why; they made a 60m bid for Jorginho and were unsuccessful, after that they made no other transfers. 

If Pep left before Aug 9 and another manager took over, they would have had 60m to spend... And as i say, would be very rare for a new manager not to bring in any players. 

And it's very unrealistic for a guy off the street to hired by Man City too. The point is the database is updated to the point where real life was at the close of the window (sometimes even far after - I never got why managers sacked in October are sacked in the game when the game begins before that happened).

The way I see FM is like if the world paused and you spontaneously took over a team with the new post-transfer window database before the season starts. It's like when Prandelli resigned from the Roma post like a week before the 2004-05 season started - Rudi Voller just inherited that squad and began the season as is, but he wasn't banned from signing free agents in September, nor was he banned from starting negotiations for the January window ahead of time. That's the small suspension of disbelief needed to get a save rolling, and it's far better than how immersion-shattering a second window is when a club signs a replacement for and/or even sells a player they only just signed in real life that same summer.

If we're to have a new transfer window like you describe the game should just come out in June each year so managers can take over at that point, but that obviously wouldn't make sense or go over well. Or the database should change depending on when you start - take over the Real Madrid squad in July? Sorry, no Courtois yet, he's still at Chelsea. But that seems complex. It's really so simple to just fix and/or add a new option for what we're asking for instead.

The new update rolled out today addresses a couple issues pertaining to transfers and loans, but the issue where "Disable First Transfer Window" misleadingly and unrealistically stops you from signing free agents and pre-negotiating future deals once the first transfer window ends is still unfixed.

Can anyone from SI provide any updates on this issue? Is there any chance this will be fixed in the full release?

48 minutes ago, HUNT3R said:

The bugs forum provided no info as to any possible changes being made here.

Actually, an update on my last post, both the bugs forum and Miles on twitter have now confirmed that this should be fixed (even though the changelist didn't mention it) but I just updated the game and started a new save and it is, in fact, still not fixed. At least there is now confirmed intention to correct the issue by full release, even if it is not quite there yet. That is good enough for me!

Interesting. Will be fixed for lower leagues (depends on the definition of that of course). Meaning. You turn it on and during the first window you can't do anything. Then, when the first window closes, if you're in a lower league you are able to do some activities. 

• Administrators
33 minutes ago, Weston said:

Actually, an update on my last post, both the bugs forum and Miles on twitter have now confirmed that this should be fixed (even though the changelist didn't mention it) but I just updated the game and started a new save and it is, in fact, still not fixed. At least there is now confirmed intention to correct the issue by full release, even if it is not quite there yet. That is good enough for me!

If you don't think it's fixed worth re-raising on the bugs forum as changes have been made to this already so the issue was deemed addressed. Thanks. 

Still does not seem to be an ideal solution if a club in a division that does not have summer/winner transfer window in place still cannot sign players during the firs window if the top division in their nation happens to operate a summer/winter window.

At least that’s how I’ve interpreted Ben’s post in the bug thread & I’ll wait to see how it works in the demo.

Archived