Real Life Career Updates?

calcal

What careers do people like to see on this forum?

When I finish my current save, I'm not quite sure where to go next.

Ideas on careers that people would enjoy following would be greatly helpful.

I've only ever played a Casa Pia(Portugal 3rd div up to 1st) save till 2022 on FM16, and then this current 1 season save on FM17 in Serie A.

• Replies 9.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, forameuss said:

Don't concentrate on what people want to read.  Concentrate on what you want to write about - if you do that, people will read it anyway. 

I will second that.

You can't cater for everyone anyway as we have different aspects that interest us, so just choose what interests you.

2 hours ago, forameuss said:

Don't concentrate on what people want to read.  Concentrate on what you want to write about - if you do that, people will read it anyway.  If your first thought isn't what you'll enjoy, then it's unlikely to last.

I can't second this enough. If you enjoy the save, we'll all know and follow along!

3 hours ago, forameuss said:

Don't concentrate on what people want to read.  Concentrate on what you want to write about - if you do that, people will read it anyway.  If your first thought isn't what you'll enjoy, then it's unlikely to last.

This. 

21 hours ago, deltablue said:

Congrats! I have never had one.

Thanks delta.  I'm actually surprised how happy this made me in real life :D.  The missus is like "you saddo"...but I don't care!  After over 25 years of waiting for a son, I think I deserve to be happy that it finally happened! :D

19 minutes ago, Raware said:

Thanks delta.  I'm actually surprised how happy this made me in real life :D.  The missus is like "you saddo"...but I don't care!  After over 25 years of waiting for a son, I think I deserve to be happy that it finally happened! :D

I remember feeling the same over a new ground, tbh.

On 18/01/2017 at 19:23, Raware said:

After all of the years of playing CM/FM (over 25 years!)…I finally have a son!  And he looks like he has some potential to be a good player for us too :D.  Obviously he's been offered a full time, professional contract straight away and will probably go straight into the team…not that I’m biased or anything :D

I had brothers a few years apart when managing FC Santa Claus in FM12 I think...One was white and one was black, someone had explaining to do.

8 hours ago, Raware said:

Just remember to be happier for actual, non-regen children. If you start complaining about their professionalism in the hospital...you're on your own.

On 18/01/2017 at 19:23, Raware said:

After all of the years of playing CM/FM (over 25 years!)…I finally have a son!  And he looks like he has some potential to be a good player for us too :D.  Obviously he's been offered a full time, professional contract straight away and will probably go straight into the team…not that I’m biased or anything :D

McMqHh2.png

Ryan Rawlings (24A)

Profile Overview | Attributes Overview | Information Overview | | Coach Report

I've had 2 sons in the game before but both of them have been complete pants. 

Young Ryan looks good. :thup:

Had a quick test, @ManUtd1, @Muttley84, found a French Lower League database that goes down to the 5th division. 

Two playable Basque clubs, Bayonnais(the one Laporte cam from), and Anglet. Since both are low league, they had no real u-19 players, and generated some, all part-Basque. So, looks like their intakes would be Basque. There were three more clubs, but all at still unplayable levels.

So, looks like it's definitely possible, though the Spanish lower leagues might well be needed to fill out squads early on.

After over 25 years of playing CM/FM and never having an in-game son, I now have two in the same save in consecutive youth intakes! :eek:

On 1/19/2017 at 21:10, Makoto Nakamura said:

I had brothers a few years apart when managing FC Santa Claus in FM12 I think...One was white and one was black, someone had explaining to do.

Both brothers and although they're not as different as yours were :D, one does have black hair and blue eyes while the other has blonde hair and brown eyes!

McMqHh2.png

Ryan Rawlings (24A)

Profile Overview | Attributes Overview | Information OverviewCoach Report

GE0jucL.png

Dean Rawlings (25O)

40 minutes ago, Raware said:

After over 25 years of playing CM/FM and never having an in-game son, I now have two in the same save save in consecutive youth intakes! :eek:

Both brothers and although they're not as different as yours were :D, one does have black hair and blue eyes while the other has blonde hair and brown eyes!

McMqHh2.png

Ryan Rawlings (24A)

GE0jucL.png

Dean Rawlings (25O)

Post of the year you lucky lucky lucky man. :applause:

31 minutes ago, dafuge said:

Barely nine months between them, someone's been busy!

I had to check the time between them myself otherwise I'd have been asking questions! :D

3 minutes ago, Jimbokav1971 said:

Post of the year you lucky lucky lucky man. :applause:

I might have a go on the lottery on Tuesday and Wednesday! :D

4 hours ago, BoxToBox said:

Had a quick test, @ManUtd1, @Muttley84, found a French Lower League database that goes down to the 5th division. 

Two playable Basque clubs, Bayonnais(the one Laporte cam from), and Anglet. Since both are low league, they had no real u-19 players, and generated some, all part-Basque. So, looks like their intakes would be Basque. There were three more clubs, but all at still unplayable levels.

So, looks like it's definitely possible, though the Spanish lower leagues might well be needed to fill out squads early on.

4 hours ago, Muttley84 said:

@BoxToBox - Go for it man, I'm backing you up (and I have three spare boxes of tissues for those 10-20 years in the beginning when you would struggle to gather players) :p Aviron Bayonnais really looks like a good challenge with room to grow.

So, I popped it on in the background while the United game was on, running more tests, loaded up the French leagues, and played to before the intake, added a manager to both so I could get a good look, and reloaded the intakes a bunch. Both had full Basque intakes every time. I also noticed the odd Basque popping up at bigger clubs, PSG, Toulouse, etc, etc.

I did find an issue though! It's not to do with intakes, but scouting(and may be an issue for you too @Muttley84).

You can't set Basque as the chosen country in the Nationality search filter as Athletic players can, which would show any player that's at least partially Basque.

You can set Basque in the "Second Nationality" filter, but it works a bit differently, only showing players who's secondary nationality is Basque, Which is mostly fine, but it excludes players who are multi-National, and Basque like Zouridine Thior at Real Sociedad who is Sengal/Spain/Basque, or some Athletic players. Not a major issue, but an annoyance none the less. It also seems I can't set Basque as a restriction for my scouts.

I don't think it's an issue that Basque can only be searched as a 2nd Nationality. Surely all Basque players should be something else first and then Basque 2nd?

The issue is that players are being produced with Basque as a Primary Nationality. 

Isn't it?

Oh hang on. That's not what you are saying at all is it? (I've just gone and re-read it). You are saying that where there is a 3rd Nationality involved then the Basque part Nationality is not triggering. Is that right?

@BoxToBox - That's not an issue with me, but only cause I did a bit of research before starting the career.

I think the possibility of searching for Basque players is encoded in the game for some clubs, as I tried to pick Zamudio as a club and I couldn't find that option. So even for spanish basque clubs, some offer that option and others don't.

For Amorebieta and Real Union it is possible to chose Basque as a nationality in the search filter. And I did find Thior using that, but he wouldn't join me on loan from PSG :)

I haven't found a way either to pick basque as restriction for the scouts.

8 minutes ago, Jimbokav1971 said:

I don't think it's an issue that Basque can only be searched as a 2nd Nationality. Surely all Basque players should be something else first and then Basque 2nd?

The issue is that players are being produced with Basque as a Primary Nationality. 

Isn't it?

Oh hang on. That's not what you are saying at all is it? (I've just gone and re-read it). You are saying that where there is a 3rd Nationality involved then the Basque part Nationality is not triggering. Is that right?

Exactly the last bit, when they have 2+ nationalities and Basque, they're not showing up in the scout list at all. It's like Basque would have to be exactly second in the order of nationalities, I even checked it with Athletic Club, using the 2nd Nationality instead of the 1st to make sure it wasn't just a lack of knowledge at the French side. 

It's of course not a serious issue, as you'd only miss out on a small minority of players, but they're exactly the kind of player I like unearthing when possible.

12 minutes ago, Muttley84 said:

@BoxToBox - That's not an issue with me, but only cause I did a bit of research before starting the career.

I think the possibility of searching for Basque players is encoded in the game for some clubs, as I tried to pick Zamudio as a club and I couldn't find that option. So even for spanish basque clubs, some offer that option and others don't.

For Amorebieta and Real Union it is possible to chose Basque as a nationality in the search filter. And I did find Thior using that, but he wouldn't join me on loan from PSG :)

I haven't found a way either to pick basque as restriction for the scouts.

Interesting, I would have expected it was only Athletic that it would have been coded for.

81C35A788CA3A95F0880829C826DC1EB3A9998F1

First game back on this save was the 1-0 win against Chelsea! Third season and we're competing for the CL. The only blip after coming back was the 1-1 draw to 20th Huddersfield, one positive however is that Smith, a youth graduate, his first senior goal.

542DD692B27029BACBF4BF806EA9C675C9C09773

5 games left and we're in a good spot. Just need to keep winning and hope Chelsea slip up. There'll be a thread going up but I just need to find time to recap the previous seasons etc. but I just had to share this.

On 1/30/2017 at 22:52, Nobby_McDonald said:

I've still not had one. Maybe they knew what was coming and I've had beautiful virtual daughters!

On 2/1/2017 at 10:14, Deisler26 said:

Agreed!! :D

I second that!  One Nobby is enough! :D :lol:

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, withnail316 said:

Ranieri's sacking is a bit FM-like, no? Win the league one year, your job security resets to 'stable', and after a poor start you're suddenly 'insecure'..

Crazy decision.

I had this exact same thought.  The danger of exceeding expectations!

Having a really enjoyable start to my hopefully journeyman save! In December season 1 I took over a struggling York City side around 18th in the Vanarama National. First season I managed a mid table finish and conquered non league with an incredible FA Trophy win! Season 2 I had built my own squad and was ready to challenge at the top which we did for the most part of the season before the pressure showed and we cracked losing the title to Newport with some sketchy end of season form, we also failed to defend our FA Trophy losing 1-0 to Sutton United in the final, season 3 took me ages to get into after scouting Europe and shortlisting hundreds of players I finally got the season started and am now 1st after 21 games on 40 points a few goals ahead of Accrington who are level on points then down to about 8th there are only 4 points in it so it's a tight league, home form this season has been terrible so that needs addressing, we also play Sheffield United away in the FA Cup 1st round soon so that will hopefully give me a bit of cash in January 

You guys ever get bored on long term challenges?

I'm 13 seasons into my Dafuge Challenge career, and have finally started going steadily forward after some 7 or 8 seasons of utter suffering at Conference level. We're now around League 1 playoffs level. So that's a lot of ground covered already. But... I'm starting to get bored of doing this over and over again, climbing through the divisions only with slightly better players each time. I kinda want something fresh.

The thing that's keeping me in this career is that I've not really settled on a single idea on what to do next. A journeyman maybe? But where? Some kind of youth thing? Who knows.

And also because I just don't want to throw away all the "work" I've done over the years. I spent 13 years getting the club to this level... only to give up when half the job is done? Thing is, it's not the first time I do this. I did the Big Euro Challenge a few years ago, got a team from Croatia into the CL knockout stages, and gave up. Did 10 seasons with CSKA Sofia only hiring Eastern European players, got them to the CL quarters, gave up. It's like I do all the work but get bored right before getting any rewards. I wanna be able to say "I finished a challenge" for once, goddamnit.

Maybe I just need to throw my tactic away and start a new one just for the sake of it. I built a 3-3-2-2 in the tactical challenge thing in the Tactics Forum which is really fun. But I'd have to remake my squad completely to fit them.

How do you guys do it? I see people managing for like 50 years in Luxembourg or San Marino without hiring players, and just keep on going. Or Dafuge winning like 20 leagues in a row. It baffles me.

I like long term careers, had quite a good one last year, but what kept me going was changing clubs quite often and building new squads on each occasion. I don't think I spent more than five years at one club in the Frozen Throne save. Rebuilding teams was what kept me going, I'm afraid I can't offer any advice for a one club save. I really enjoy your thread though, personally I'd be happy if you completed the challenge.

@noikeee: All the time. Apart from my San Marino saves, I don't think I've ever had a single save last more than 5 years. I either get fired (:() or just get bored, even if things are going well. I had a save on FM 16 with Rotherham where I lost in 3 straight playoff finals, finally went up at the fourth time of asking and then just lost interest and didn't play any longer. I'd also like to actually be able to say I've finished a challenge one day :lol: 

I love having a save that lasts for many seasons, the longer the better (my personal best is 68 back when I just had until the new version was out, though I'd only manage a fraction of that in a year now). That said I probably do have a relatively limited attention span for specific clubs or challenges. My only proper one club FMCU save lasted 18 years and even without FM16 to turn to afterwards I was considering it to have run its course in last few years or so anyway.

On 02/03/2017 at 15:19, noikeee said:

How do you guys do it? I see people managing for like 50 years in Luxembourg or San Marino without hiring players, and just keep on going. Or Dafuge winning like 20 leagues in a row. It baffles me.

I'm in 2034 managing in Iceland and I don't sign any players. 

I suppose my interest comes and goes depending how busy I am at work and in real life. In the last month or so I haven't really played much so it's hard to get bored. When I do log on I often only manage a single game at a time, and sometimes I don't even manage that. (Close season has taken me about a week recently). 

When I am playing more regularly, I suppose I am looking at little things along the way to act as milestones or achievements. So rather than going from unlayable to European Champions as the case is in the dafuge challenge, I break things up into much smaller parts. My focus is always on the Youth Intake so each year I am always moving forwards towards that and that, (rather than the end of the season), is a finale of sorts. We have 3 Cup competitions in Iceland and the League and then we have Europe which I split up into 3 parts, (qualifying, Group Stage and knockout, which I haven't reached yet). but it effectively gives me 7 different areas of focus within a season, even if I ignore Youth games. Add in player development and tutoring, the buzz of a new player being called up to the NT and there is actually quite a lot of stuff to keep me interested. Is it a league game or even a league season or cup campaign? No, they are largely irrelevent if I'm honest, but by concentrating on other tings, it allows you to focus on what you want over a longer period of time and "hopefully" get the results you are looking for. 

@noikeee I enjoy long term saves, but very jaded if I feel like things are too formulaic. It's one reason why the off-field narrative is so important for me - it keeps things fresh. It's also why I needed to go somewhere "small" and did something different in my current save after leaving Saint-Etienne.

Speaking of which...after an insane week, I'm gone all day today with the family. Dying to dig in tonight.

I like all kinds of saves.  I currently have a few on the go:

My favourite kind of save is a journeyman and I start unemployed with Sunday League reputation and no qualifications.  It is now 2029 and I am manager of both Ajax and England.  I have parked this save for the minute but will definitely return to it.  I have a soft Brexit with this save.  I have 28 nations and about 70 leagues loaded.

I also have a one club save, where I started with my home town team, North Shields, in Northern League Division One, the ninth tier.  At the time of writing, I am top of the Championship.  Two of my players, both home grown. Have over three hundred first team appearances each.  I have a hard Brexit with this save and only the English leagues loaded, down to the ninth tier.

Finally, I started a new save today, where I am at IF Huginn in Iceland's Second Division.  I will stay with them throughout the game and only end it when I win the World Club Cup.  With only the Icelandic league loaded, seasons should be completed quite quickly.

If I play all day, say seven hours or so, I will get through a couple of months in the journeyman save, half a season in the North Shields save and I hope two seasons or so in Iceland.  We will see.

All three saves are great fun.

I know how you feel, @noikeee 

Back when I used to start in England's BSN/S, I would start to feel jaded by the time I got to League One, and often gave up. Now I can't really manage in England at all.

Personally, the thing that keeps me going is a feeling that I'm continually building. I tend to get a greater sense of satisfaction from managing in smaller leagues as I have to sell players even if I'm successful, rather than just being able to rely on prize money. That also means I need to keep the amount I spend on transfers down, with the intention of selling on at huge profits, rather than just spending huge piles of cash. This is rewarding too for me, especially when I can pump those profits into upgrades. 

I do often make premature decisions to leave clubs though, so if you are struggling at the moment, I'd advise you to have a little break before coming a decision. 

3 hours ago, withnail316 said:

I know how you feel, @noikeee 

Back when I used to start in England's BSN/S, I would start to feel jaded by the time I got to League One, and often gave up. Now I can't really manage in England at all.

Personally, the thing that keeps me going is a feeling that I'm continually building. I tend to get a greater sense of satisfaction from managing in smaller leagues as I have to sell players even if I'm successful, rather than just being able to rely on prize money. That also means I need to keep the amount I spend on transfers down, with the intention of selling on at huge profits, rather than just spending huge piles of cash. This is rewarding too for me, especially when I can pump those profits into upgrades. 

I do often make premature decisions to leave clubs though, so if you are struggling at the moment, I'd advise you to have a little break before coming a decision. 

Already threw my career away and started a new one. :D

Archived