Real Life Career Updates?

calcal

Cheers for all that! Very interesting, it's a shame the Brondby game is on the same time as the Cup semi final.

I know a little bit about some of the teams and players, Pukki especially from being at Celtic, and I've bought Ronnow in so many saves you wouldn't believe! :D

Mukhtar looks brilliant in the game. Would be a perfect Trequartista in the 5-2-1-2 Sweeper thing I've been doing in the last save.

Midtjylland and Onuachu are the ones I know most well, as we played them in the Europa recently, they beat us 2-1 in the first leg and Onuachu afterwards was going on about how he expected more from us. Well, they got it in the second leg where we won 5-1, and Memphis Depay had such a good game(an incredibly rare occurrence, I think he had like two good games ever for us) that their right back said he nearly cried after the game.

• Replies 9.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, BoxToBox said:

Cheers for all that! Very interesting, it's a shame the Brondby game is on the same time as the Cup semi final.

I know a little bit about some of the teams and players, Pukki especially from being at Celtic, and I've bought Ronnow in so many saves you wouldn't believe! :D

Mukhtar looks brilliant in the game. Would be a perfect Trequartista in the 5-2-1-2 Sweeper thing I've been doing in the last save.

Midtjylland and Onuachu are the ones I know most well, as we played them in the Europa recently, they beat us 2-1 in the first leg and Onuachu afterwards was going on about how he expected more from us. Well, they got it in the second leg where we won 5-1, and Memphis Depay had such a good game(an incredibly rare occurrence, I think he had like two good games ever for us) that their right back said he nearly cried after the game.

You're welcome! I'm glad you appreciated it! Yeah, I think I'll have to watch both at once and alter my focus depending on the action in each. 

Pukki has really come a long way since joining. iirc he wasn't really a succes with a lot of the teams he played for but I don't know how he did for you guys, I just know it wasn't good enough to keep him so luckily we loaned him!

Mukhart is a dream to watch. After a recent cup game against Randers FC where he scored 2 goals and assisted one Alexander Zorniger went out and said he'd been poor and could have played better. :D Also these two goals are very good showings of his fine technique. 

Ah yes, I remember that haha! Andre Rømer (the defender who almost cried) was completely devastated. I feel with the kid. :D 

2 minutes ago, BoxToBox said:

My word, that boy is class!

Aye, he is quite the player, and this monday just before the derby against FCK at Brøndby Stadion he signed a permanent 4-year deal following his loan move from Benfica!

Skip to 3.00 in this video and hear the cheer when they announce it. :D 

@BoxToBox Here comes some talk about different Danish clubs that have some history, or other reasons for being interesting.

AGF, a team in the best league, although they might go down this season. They got a lot of history having won the Danish Championship 5 times and one the Danish Cup 9 times more than any other team. They haven't been succesful for many years, however, and have been relegated from and promoted to the Superliga many times during the last years. Aarhus is also a cultural city with a lot to offer.

Hvidovre IF, the team of my hometown. A team that haven't been in the best league for many years and find themselves in the third best division. Peter Schmeichel spent two seasons with them prior to joining Brøndby IF. A team with history, but also a team and city that needs some newfound succes. I was actually 2nd assistant coach for their u17 side last year. Great bunch. 

BK Frem, the team both my uncle and grandfather supports. A team with great history, and one of the oldest football clubs in Denmark, as they were founded in 1886. They've won the Danish Championship on 6 occasions but last time was in 1944 so it's been a looooong time. Red and blue colors in horizontal stripes and they got great fan support despite being in the third division following bankruptcy forcing them even further down the divisions some seasons ago.

Brøndby IF, they haven't won the Danish Championship (Superligaen) since 04-05 so they are in dire need of winning something soon since FCK are dominating. Their academy has been great through the years and a Youth only save with them could be really fun I'd say. Also, they are my favorite team ever since childhood, so would be nice to see them in a save! :D 

Special mentions: Vejle BK, B93, Silkeborg, FC Roskilde (the city I currently live in - fantastic city, Esbjerg and then of course AB who you already talked about yourself. 

Hope this is worth something! :) Now I'll stop spamming with info about Danish football and instead watch some haha. 

Cheers for all that!

I have it between,

Hvidore IF: Interesting history, most work starting in the 3rd level, a good level of recruitment and junior coaching and the Peter Schmeichel connection is nice!

AB: Well, that's already explained.

Brondby: Distinguished history and as you say, they're badly in need of pushing to the next level, top class academy, great looking squad with gems like Mukhtar, again with the Schmeichel connection, and their yellow and navy kits are really eye catching!

Not sure if I'd go for a youth only save, but there'd have to be some kind of limits, perhaps Nordic only(barring youth intakes), or I have to at minimum break even on every transfer window.... Maybe both.

I like the 3 options! Each have there own aspect and could be really interesting to follow. I assume you'll be making a thread when you've decided which to go with? :D

I like the restrictions you suggest as well. A Nordic only philosophy or maybe only Danes and players from a few other nations that you decide - could be that only the nations of certain legends of the club was allowed to get bought as well as Danes. With Brøndby you could have Danes and then Nigerian (due to Uche Okechukwu), Swedish (Johan Elmander), Norwegian (Dan Eggen) and Lithuanian players (Auri Skarbalius) allowed with the legends in the parentheses. 

Brondby were the team that finally got me away from simply playing in the Premier League or La Liga all the time... It must have been back on FM05 or 06 - I just loaded a bunch of European leagues on a whim and ended up and Brondby winning the UEFA Cup with them. I have very rarely managed in England on FM since! :D

29 minutes ago, BoxToBox said:

Before last night I was planning on a game in England, that I wasn't going to make a tread of, but after all this discussion, I must!

I agree. You really must. Will be a good read.

17 minutes ago, DodgeeD said:

Brondby were the team that finally got me away from simply playing in the Premier League or La Liga all the time... It must have been back on FM05 or 06 - I just loaded a bunch of European leagues on a whim and ended up and Brondby winning the UEFA Cup with them. I have very rarely managed in England on FM since! :D

That sounds like a very good save. In your current thread you should load the Danish and return! :D

25 minutes ago, DodgeeD said:

I usually have to have a save with Bradford City, had a cracking one going the start of FM 17, but it crashed and died.

Other than that, I generally prefer to avoid England too.

Just now, DodgeeD said:

He was a world beater - bagging 30+ goals a season (nothing like the real-life version, I know :D)

Seems a low output for him, but guess it's acceptable :lol:

Having opened FM13 to show @BoxToBox some talents I had in an old Brøndby save I also checked my Arsenal/Juve save from the same version. I found two quite brutal 16 year old fellas at Arsenal.

092b39f350732d58657be1240473e8ad.png

4b8b378d3f0a103eff6fae13490404f9.png

Just because I loved this save so much, here are some of the stars I left behind at Juve when I left back then.

f5cb7f59855c032440ba5640cb08f6e9.png

84633b686b44c980060e23e482b765a5.png

0044afc7ccd46728eea0094d24ed1600.png

3cfd0ce2731698e7d2f0549e11d3f24f.png

c10d4e6d83e58699465954132a1fb2c8.png

Both Italians were from our own academy.

And probably the duo I liked the most ever, when I first saw them/signed them, when they were 17/18 years old and when they were in their mid-twenties.

f20ecf7e25487e978a1d6b0bac98773b.png 2c68da7996758fd4f9f07cf2b931e547.png 65e4f5cf54bf9b90dedd8637a18bf346.png

6b868f589ba66fe6f0e94143f4e77aa8.png 6edb064959fc386382eea98b071cc9db.png 635efec00d9fa02059bee6b0ded5ce27.png

Guus never really materialized his potential I feel, but Rolland is my all-time favorite, is a close second in terms of all-time favorites.

14 minutes ago, Nottingham Forest said:

Just looking at a little project possibly. Can anyone tell me how the following old positions would relate to in today's game;

Inside Left

Inside Right

Inside Forward

These are like AMs or STs depending on the formation.  Both the inside left & inside right are inside forwards just different sides of the pitch.  They operate inbetween a winger & a centre forward.

Early on they would flank a main striker so something like a STCL & STCR either side of a ST in a 433.  In time they played deeper more like at AMCL & AMCR.

14 minutes ago, Nottingham Forest said:

Half Back

Left Half

Right Half

Plus if there are anymore I've missed?

The half is the clue here as they played halfway up the pitch.

Your half back played centrally (MC) although there is a case for putting them in the DM zone.  Left half & right half much the same (ML & MR) although again I would make a case for them being at WBL/WBR.

For those of you who like to bring quality youth players through your academy and start in the bottom tier of a league, I have found a club, Septemvri Sofia, in the Bulgarian second tier who have brilliant facilities and youth setup.

pFVo2uG.png

6 minutes ago, git2thachoppa said:

I've been gone from FM world for 3 months.

What I miss?

@BoxToBox winning everything, with everyone, in spectacularly impressive fashion, basically.

Tons of great new threads, in different places...long-term saves chugging along in brilliant fashion...David Moyes driving a taxi in Zanzibar...

2 hours ago, ManUtd1 said:

@BoxToBox winning everything, with everyone, in spectacularly impressive fashion, basically.

Tons of great new threads, in different places...long-term saves chugging along in brilliant fashion...David Moyes driving a taxi in Zanzibar...

Lots of Twitter fights, too.

2 minutes ago, Jimbokav1971 said:

I was going to say "Where?" but you would have just said..... "Twitter.com" or "the internet".

So instead..... Linkage please? :lol:

I have no links. I just answered your question. I'm a kind samaritan like that. :D

1 hour ago, git2thachoppa said:

Oh ****, for the second season in a row in my game, the top 3 in the Belgian league finished on the exact same points. That's insane! :lol:

Crazy!  Good fun, though :D

27 minutes ago, ManUtd1 said:

Crazy!  Good fun, though :D

Meanwhile, David Moyes takes charge of Bayern and Wenger retires a hero as one of the greatest managers in history after 6 Premier Leagues in a row and 2 Champions Leagues. :idiot:

Hi guys.

Do we have any Slovakians in, or anyone who knows anything about Slovakian Football?

I have seen that a Slovak team called Spartak Myjava withdrew from the Slovak Super Liga and although I have found some stuff about it, the translation isn't great and I'm still none the wiser. Does anyone know what went on?

I know that they haven't gone bust and it doesn't look like an Administration thing and I'm wondering is it a good back-story for a save.

I am enjoying my Swedish save right now, but a future save that interests me is an African one.  Load a few African leagues, start at the bottom and hope to make it to an Ivorian/Egyptian/Tunisian top side.  ASEC in Ivory Coast takes my fancy due to their youth set up.

4 hours ago, DazRTaylor said:

I am enjoying my Swedish save right now, but a future save that interests me is an African one.  Load a few African leagues, start at the bottom and hope to make it to an Ivorian/Egyptian/Tunisian top side.  ASEC in Ivory Coast takes my fancy due to their youth set up.

I've always thought TP Mazembe would be good fun, too.

1 hour ago, Crispypaul said:

Wow, Man United bought Harry Kane for £112m in the summer of 2017 in my current game.  Seems a lot for that early on.

If he was sold by Spurs this Summer, how much do you think he would be worth?

He has scored 70 Premier League goals in 109 appearances, scoring 20+ League goals for the past 3 seasons. To the best of my knowledge, only Shearer and Henry have done this, (Shearer actually scored 20+ league goals in a season on 7 occasions, and in 4 consecutive seasons where as Henry only managed it in 5 different seasons, but all were consecutive). 

[Edit] I forgot about RvN. He scored 20+ league goals in 4 seasons, 3 consecutively

Forget who you support for a moment and just think how big football clubs put a value on goals. Harry Kane is only 23 years old and has never been particularly quick, (although I wouldn't call him slow either), so he is unlikely to suffer from the type of injuries that plagued Michael Owen for example. Owen scored 118 goals for Liverpool for example, but never managed 20 in a single season even once. The reason is that he kept missing games. He scored 18, 18, 11, 16 19, 19 and 16 league goals for Liverpool, but never played in every league game even once. Kane on the other hand played in every league game last season and has still managed to score 20+ league goal this season despite missing 9 games, (and there still being 3 more to play). 

So what I'm suggesting is that his goal-scoring record can be likened only to Shearer and Henry, (& RvN) since the inception of the Premier League. How much might we expect a 23 year old Shearer or Henry to fetch in the current market?

On top of the above he signed a contract to keep him at Spurs to 2022. 

Is £100M that ridiculous? 

I think that a lot of very average players go for ridiculous amounts of money, but I don't think Kane is average at all, (even if you ignore his link up play and just look at how often the ball ends up in the back of the net).

I don't think any player(including our Pogba), is worth these frankly daft numbers, but that's the way football is going.

It's all over the media that Everton are demanding 100m for a Lukaku with 2(?!) years on his contract. If Lukaku is 100m, I'd imagine Kane is 150m. Of course, I don't believe Spurs have to sell a player to an English side if they don't want to any more.

5 hours ago, Jimbokav1971 said:

If he was sold by Spurs this Summer, how much do you think he would be worth?

He has scored 70 Premier League goals in 109 appearances, scoring 20+ League goals for the past 3 seasons. To the best of my knowledge, only Shearer and Henry have done this, (Shearer actually scored 20+ league goals in a season on 7 occasions, and in 4 consecutive seasons where as Henry only managed it in 5 different seasons, but all were consecutive). 

[Edit] I forgot about RvN. He scored 20+ league goals in 4 seasons, 3 consecutively

Forget who you support for a moment and just think how big football clubs put a value on goals. Harry Kane is only 23 years old and has never been particularly quick, (although I wouldn't call him slow either), so he is unlikely to suffer from the type of injuries that plagued Michael Owen for example. Owen scored 118 goals for Liverpool for example, but never managed 20 in a single season even once. The reason is that he kept missing games. He scored 18, 18, 11, 16 19, 19 and 16 league goals for Liverpool, but never played in every league game even once. Kane on the other hand played in every league game last season and has still managed to score 20+ league goal this season despite missing 9 games, (and there still being 3 more to play). 

So what I'm suggesting is that his goal-scoring record can be likened only to Shearer and Henry, (& RvN) since the inception of the Premier League. How much might we expect a 23 year old Shearer or Henry to fetch in the current market?

On top of the above he signed a contract to keep him at Spurs to 2022. 

Is £100M that ridiculous? 

I think that a lot of very average players go for ridiculous amounts of money, but I don't think Kane is average at all, (even if you ignore his link up play and just look at how often the ball ends up in the back of the net).

Thank you for the well thought answer - I can see where you are coming from although interestingly Kane is only on £165,000 a week behind Rooney, Schweinsteiger and Mkhitaryn.

Coutinho has just gone to Barcelona for £70m too and Man City bought Thiago from Bayern for £75m.  So its not that strange in relation to these other movements.

11 minutes ago, Crispypaul said:

I can see where you are coming from although interestingly Kane is only on £165,000 a week behind Rooney, Schweinsteiger and Mkhitaryn.

That's to do with his age though.

2 of the 3 players you mention are likely on their last contracts with the club. How many more times is Kane going to be able to renegotiate his contract before the end of career? Quite a few I would suggest. 

Archived