Fm 18 no regen faces

Hi guys, 

I have simmed a year into the game just to check what thr regen faces will be like this year.

After going to youth intake and looking at a fair few, none have faces. Just a dark outline. 

I am just wondering is this just the beta? And will they appear in the full game?

I have transferred my logos and facepack from the previous game however that should not affect the regen faces?

Any information at all would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

I'd be amazed if you did need to restart as would be an absolute howler by SI if so, one that I'm sure they'd be incapable of making. We shall see though.

I'm trying not to read too much into the absence of regen faces but it's hard not to. Presumably not ready yet. 

Only consolation is they can't be worse than last year. 

3 hours ago, Pingdinho said:

After the beta will you need to start a new save to get the generated faces?

One of the SI staff said that all regens would get regen faces once the full game comes out, even pre-existing ones.

2 hours ago, Per Annum said:

The BBC tweet on the gay players contains newgen faces, and makes it obvious why they are being hidden now. 

Absolutely horrific. Based on the two there they seem further back than last year, which was already further back than before. 

Could you link to the tweet?

57 minutes ago, JordanMillward_1 said:

Could you link to the tweet?

I wish I had a kinder way of saying it, but alas I don't: they look like absolute sin. Since SI decided not to display those faces in the beta, I suppose it's not the final version.

1509311421589.jpg

2 hours ago, BMNJohn said:

I wish I had a kinder way of saying it, but alas I don't: they look like absolute sin. Since SI decided not to display those faces in the beta, I suppose it's not the final version.

1509311421589.jpg

Good god, they remind me of those creepy pastas, like Jeff the Killer.

Well, hopefully they reintroduced head coaching .jpg photos so we don't have to look at our coach's face with all this.

6 minutes ago, ReMeDy said:

Well, hopefully they reintroduced head coaching .jpg photos so we don't have to look at our coach's face with all this.

About that...

twitter.png.c2b2f28c7056507d193229900e10

Even though the manager creator is fairly bugged in this beta. That said, the beta is pretty rough this year.

To clarify and avoid any more doubt, this is from another thread- SI response:

The decision has been made for the greater good of the game. We appreciate people may not like all of our decisions at first, and we have to make difficult ones sometimes when looking at the bigger picture of the game's development over a number of years. 

The reality is it is just a photo - you have the option to turn regenerated images off, if you don't like them so much. If we caved in to every single demand users wanted, there wouldn't be player roles, the Tactics creator or the 3D Match Engine with its improvements over the years  

The Manager Photo is not going to change per Miles' decision, so you will have to learn to agree to disagree and let it go. 

There wont be any more official replies to this as there's nothing more to add - it is not coming back.

1 minute ago, ReMeDy said:

Well at least they responded back, although my question to them is aren't the players also in 3D? If player photos work on 3D players, why can't a coach's photo work on a 3D coach?

You weren't the first one to wonder that. They replied with a tangent. They're phasing it out, period.

7 minutes ago, BMNJohn said:

You weren't the first one to wonder that. They replied with a tangent. They're phasing it out, period.

I'm still confused because they had this all working in FM16; we were able to create a 3D coach (albeit on a basic level), and in our profile we could use a photo. Somehow, their efforts to improve the regen system somehow forced them to remove the photo system, but only for head coaches? Very odd. I still think there's something they're not telling us, but oh well, I'm preaching to the choir at this point.

10 hours ago, Per Annum said:

The BBC tweet on the gay players contains newgen faces, and makes it obvious why they are being hidden now. 

Absolutely horrific. Based on the two there they seem further back than last year, which was already further back than before. 

No way? I actually think they look brilliant and the most realistic so far!

2 minutes ago, NavyWolf87 said:

They are truly horrific and absolutely terrible!!!!! Have to put up with terrible regen faces as well as a terrible manager avatar now on FM what a abysmal turn of events for FM and the series....it's only heading one way and that's downhill.   

Over reacting much? IMO, the only reason to care about regen faces is identifying em.

20 hours ago, NavyWolf87 said:

They are truly horrific and absolutely terrible!!!!! Have to put up with terrible regen faces as well as a terrible manager avatar now on FM what a abysmal turn of events for FM and the series....it's only heading one way and that's downhill.   

What don't you like about them?

9 minutes ago, Pingdinho said:

What don't you like about them?

The Paredes one is just a blob.

Given the screen is in the typical SI PR 800x600 and Miles had said they are continuing to be worked on I'm sure they'll be much better on a real screen and by release.

I always find it baffling that FM is rolled out with such crappy facegens, when guys in the FM community can put together hair packs or whatever of a more appealing nature.

Why can't SI incorporate this from the get go? Is it laziness? Apathy?

It just niggles (along with the manager facepic vs. facegen). Considering that a similar sports sim in the OOTP series, which I would imagine has a smaller market (baseball vs 'soccer'), can get the facegen so right in comparison.

vzrZOjl.png

1 hour ago, davehibb said:

I always find it baffling that FM is rolled out with such crappy facegens, when guys in the FM community can put together hair packs or whatever of a more appealing nature.

It just niggles (along with the manager facepic vs. facegen). Considering that a similar sports sim in the OOTP series, which I would imagine has a smaller market (baseball vs 'soccer'), can get the facegen so right in comparison.

vzrZOjl.png

Wow regen faces like that in FM would be a dream! Imagine how enjoyable long term saves would be, compared to the yellow eyed zombies we had last year.

1487896859-media.jpg

1 hour ago, davehibb said:

vzrZOjl.png

They look great and honestly this is what I'd expect from a videogame in 2017. I'm not gonna lie, FM17 newgens scared the hell out of me, like they were some experiments on clones made by an evil mad scientist.

If they're having trouble with it and they still have access to the old facegen cartoon faces (not the FM17 faces), maybe there can be an Off/Option A/Option B kind of deal? 

There wasn't anything really wrong with the old faces besides some nationalities (Mexico, etc) being too "light-skinned" and the lousy balding/default hairstyles. Unlike in FM17 you got a pretty wide range of facial features and they mostly looked like people

3 minutes ago, Ruh Roh said:

If they're having trouble with it and they still have access to the old facegen cartoon faces (not the FM17 faces), maybe there can be an Off/Option A/Option B kind of deal? 

There wasn't anything really wrong with the old faces besides some nationalities (Mexico, etc) being too "light-skinned" and the lousy balding/default hairstyles. Unlike in FM17 you got a pretty wide range of facial features and they mostly looked like people

Exactly what i always say. Why touch something that does not need a fix. Especially if you cannot do it right.

I'm honestly not one to gripe too much, but jeez louise. The whole manager photo thing honestly feels just like a moment of arrogance from Miles. He's always struck me as slightly smug, but jesus. That's right IT IS JUST A PHOTO so there's no reason to exclude it and then call it a dead issue other than to lord it over all the fans who are asking for it back. 

About the regen 3d faces, it's hard to see because the faces are too small, but it doesn't look good, the guy looks super pale like a vampire. In one side you have to compliment SI for adding something like player coming out as gay and on the other side you have to criticize SI for aggressively shutting down (especially the developer of the game himself) and censoring fans of the game who ask about the manager photos. One good move, one bad move lol.

44 minutes ago, puffascruffowitz said:

I'm honestly not one to gripe too much, but jeez louise. The whole manager photo thing honestly feels just like a moment of arrogance from Miles. He's always struck me as slightly smug, but jesus. That's right IT IS JUST A PHOTO so there's no reason to exclude it and then call it a dead issue other than to lord it over all the fans who are asking for it back. 

It's very strange at this point, honestly i'm not even asking for it to be back, i just wanted to know the reason. At this point all devs and mods are defending it to the death but not providing any legitimate reason.

Even the post made by the developer just deflects the question instead of giving technical answers, which only points out that there is no legitimate reason for this removal other than the fact that they removed because they wanted to.

I mean, take a look at the post by the developer of the game Lucas Weatherby. All deflections, no real answers, and then blames the ones asking for the reason saying they should not dare to question SI, or the game would never improve. All these arguments by SI developers and moderators have been debunked already, leading them to lock threads when they are cornered.

How about giving a real reason why this was removed? How was removing it necessary to improve the game? That's all we are asking.

Lol. All the posts about this topic have now been locked and this one will soon be as well, it seems someone is really proud of the 3d faces and wants people to use it, and isn't taking a no for an answer.

7 minutes ago, GoldenGoal said:

About the regen 3d faces, it's hard to see because the faces are too small, but it doesn't look good, the guy looks super pale like a vampire. In one side you have to compliment SI for adding something like player coming out as gay and on the other side you have to criticize SI for aggressively shutting down (especially the developer of the game himself) and censoring fans of the game who ask about the manager photos. One good move, one bad move lol.

It's very strange at this point, honestly i'm not even asking for it to be back, i just wanted to know the reason. At this point all devs and mods are defending it to the death but not providing any legitimate reason.

Even the post made by the developer just deflects the question instead of giving technical answers, which only points out that there is no legitimate reason for this removal other than the fact that they removed because they wanted to.

I mean, take a look at the post by the developer of the game Lucas Weatherby. All deflections, no real answers, and then blames the ones asking for the reason saying they should not dare to question SI, or the game would never improve. All these arguments by SI developers and moderators have been debunked already, leading them to lock threads when they are cornered.

How about giving a real reason why this was removed? How was removing it necessary to improve the game? That's all we are asking.

Lol. All the posts about this topic have now been locked and this one will soon be as well, it seems someone is really proud of the 3d faces and wants people to use it, and isn't taking a no for an answer.

I'm never one to bash SI, I think 99% of the anger they get is unwarranted, but this small issue is just such a strange one. There's really no logical explanation for it other than a mentality from SI of "F*** off, you're not getting photos back" Just so odd. 

3 hours ago, davehibb said:

The FaceGen technology in OOTP is great, to be fair. The screenshots you attached in your post are of real players, but even generated players look more diverse and realistic. (The image below is from a popular dynasty thread on the OOTP forum.)

attachment.php?attachmentid=397739&d=143

Anyway... what exactly happened with FM newgen faces post-FM16? Did SI lose the licence to use their old face-generating software, or did they just adopt new software instead? Whatever the case, few can argue that there was a massive decline in quality for FM17. Those early FM18 faces look reasonably promising, but to be fair, anything is better than what we had to put up with last time.

17 minutes ago, GoldenGoal said:

You're not really owed an answer and you're blowing SI's answer way out of proportion. They did give you an answer which you even quoted. It's been said before. If you really wanted more of an explanation, taking this poor attitude isn't going to encourage interaction with you.

SI have short, medium and long term plans for the game. Whether we like it or not the removal of this may have been part of this to further their vision in the direction they've chosen. There were requests in the requests section, so they're very well aware of a few people wanting it back.

It's little consolation but at least the silhouettes do look better this year.

But yeah, why we can't have decent regens without having to use mods, when it's obviously possible to do so is a little bit of a turn off.

Archived