Something for the oldies (30+)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bodis

I played the first footy management sim distributed by Domark, I thought it was called "The Manager" and made by SI, but maybe I'm talking about CM1?

Great game, fake names all round, 4-2-4 and you'd win every game (kinda like the AI now )

I'm pretty sure that Football Manager by Kevin Toms (can't remember the name of his company) was the first game out there. I played it on the BBC Micro in the late '80s! It came on a cassette!

Oh I didnt mean that was the first one ever. I just though the first game made by SI was distributed by Domark and called "The Manager", but my memory may very well be decieving me.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i'm 33 now and i started with the original. i remember my brilliant formation of 3-4-1-2 for home games, and 3-1-4-2 for away games. i had a brilliant striker called phil wegerle(not the blackburn punter, but a regen) he scored 50 goals in one season and then got his leg broke!! he was never the same after that!

started with cm2, i'm 23 now, so must have been 10-12 yrs when I started (& kept on) playing.

got hooked right away with the milan squad of that time that I still know by heart: rossi, panucci, baresi, costacurta, maldini, desailly, savicevic, boban,donadoni, baggio & weah :)

bought every cm/fm version since...

started with cm2, i'm 23 now, so must have been 10-12 yrs when I started (& kept on) playing.

got hooked right away with the milan squad of that time that I still know by heart: rossi, panucci, baresi, costacurta, maldini, desailly, savicevic, boban,donadoni, baggio & weah :)

bought every cm/fm version since...

If you'd had CM Italia earlier you could have had Van Basten, Papin and Tasotti! Imagine the damage you could've done with them!

31 - started with the very first one on the Amiga back in 1993, remember getting all excited at CM Italia as you could play a non-english team, and it had a much wider range of quality foriegn players. It was back in the days when all the best foriegners went to Italy, and if you didnt tie down your best players they got itchy feet and decided to move abroad and there was nothing you could do to keep them.

Now there are 50 plus leagues and you can sign ANYONE. Now THATS progress.

Oh I didnt mean that was the first one ever. I just though the first game made by SI was distributed by Domark and called "The Manager", but my memory may very well be decieving me.

You're right. It was indeed by SI and Domark did indeed distribute it. They then became Eidos. Not sure if it was called The Manager, though.

You're right. It was indeed by SI and Domark did indeed distribute it. They then became Eidos. Not sure if it was called The Manager, though.

No, their first game was "Championship Manager". Written in the Collyers' bedroom I believe, so not one published before that I don't think.

This thread makes me feel a little better. I thought i am the only 28 year old playing FM like a maniac. I started in 1992 playing a manager game on those pre hystoric basic computers( the ones that needed to be connected to a tv and use a tape player to load the game.)

God, time flyes so fast.

Started with the very first CM on PC (almost 34 now). I remember I always bought Goran Vucevic, Dejan Racunica en brazilian striker Tulio. I played with two friends on the same little computer screen in my dad's office. Those were the days.

Still really looking forward to each new reïncarnation of the game ...

Too old to remember, - i'm 46 ;) but I do know i've been cruising these forums for far too long and am still one of the few remaining new forum re-registers from December 1999.

Wish I had spent as much time playing myself in real life, than playing myself in CM/FM world !!!

I'm 33, think it was 97/98 used to buy Matthew Etherington and Simon Davies from Peterborough, Javier Saviola, Mads Jorgenson, Tonton Zola Mokouko from Derby they were the wonderkids back then (*sigh* dabs at misty eye)...... I remember myself and a friend were big into it, and watching Man Utd one night in the pub he turned to me and said 'they should bring Mokouko on' in total seriousness ........

Aged 31

Started on the original Championship Manager on the Amiga.

I remember the vidiprinter when results came in after the match and the 2/3 hour load up time when you started a new game!!!

I also played FM on the Spectrum

Played every version of CM and then FM since (after the split)

33 here.

Played the original on my Amiga (Domark anyone?) and have purchased every single copy to date. I love the game and now my wife does too(as if she had a choice!) - great thing is my wife is American and through Champ Man, now Footy Manager, she has come to know and love the beautiful game.

Prior to that I was an addict of the original Kevin Tom's Football Manager but always lost to bury in my first game, the the fantastic 'The Double' and its international counterpart 'Tracksuit Manager' but when Champ Man hit the scene, it seemed that all my wishes and ideas of the perfect management game had been taken into account. I am still of the belief that they read my mind, brainwashed me into giving them my ideas and then through a series of subliminal messages, wiped my memory of the event. I want my royalties!

Who would have thought two evertonians would have such an effect on this Liverpool supporters life? All the respect to Paul and Oliver Collyer.

33 here.

Played the original on my Amiga (Domark anyone?) and have purchased every single copy to date. I love the game and now my wife does too(as if she had a choice!) - great thing is my wife is American and through Champ Man, now Footy Manager, she has come to know and love the beautiful game.

Prior to that I was an addict of the original Kevin Tom's Football Manager but always lost to bury in my first game, the the fantastic 'The Double' and its international counterpart 'Tracksuit Manager' but when Champ Man hit the scene, it seemed that all my wishes and ideas of the perfect management game had been taken into account. I am still of the belief that they read my mind, brainwashed me into giving them my ideas and then through a series of subliminal messages, wiped my memory of the event. I want my royalties!

Who would have thought two evertonians would have such an effect on this Liverpool supporters life? All the respect to Paul and Oliver Collyer.

I remember "The Double" / "Tracksuit Manager" too oh the good times, also played a game called "Football Crazy" and that was crazy cause the transfer market relied on you accepting bids, if you didn't the A.I. just offered more money till you did :) Thank god Champ Man was born.

Ha Ha, you people have brought back some memories of my youth.

I'm 36 and first CM game was 00/01, however the original Football Manager on my ZX Spectrum was my VERY first computer football management game. First thing I did back from school was to whack the tape in the tape recorder, type LOAD "" and then wait 2 minutes or so for it to load up!! Also had fun with The Double, Tracksuit Manager, Mexico '86 and even The Boss (anyone else remember this one?). Football Director was the business though, kept me entertained for many an hour.

I feel I must mention Subbuteo. From the age of 7 or 8, this table football game had me hooked. This was of course before the ZX Spectrum had been invented!!!!

Ah memories...

Championship Manager 93

champ_manager_93_box.jpg

But played on the old ZX Spectrum. But really didn't really get into the game untill 1999.

But that didn't come out on the Speccy... did it? Certainly a quick bit of research doesn't throw anything up. Are you sure?

Obviously, there were Football Manager games on the Speccy, but that was before '93 anyway IIRC.

But that didn't come out on the Speccy... did it? Certainly a quick bit of research doesn't throw anything up. Are you sure?

Obviously, there were Football Manager games on the Speccy, but that was before '93 anyway IIRC.

The speccy died waaaay before that surely? Don't think it could've handled the complexity either - must have been Amiga I reckon. Bear in mind it came on a few disks and even then took age to load etc...tape wouldn't have worked.

36 Started on the original Championship Manager Amiga A500 and played every version since. Seen many a football manager game come and go since but only CM or as is now FM is still going strong. Well done SI :)

32 and ditto!

i started with championship manager in 92-93 on my amiga500 and still love it to this day!! can't wait for fm2009!!!!

CM92/93 with EOS data when I was 18.

A friend's father was working for Bull systems and went a lot to the UK back in those days. Seeing that his lad and the nutter of a friend he had spent most of their time playing a game called PCFútbol in management only mode and watched a lot of English footie he thought the best pressie for both of them would be some game he got told by his boss.

I remember the lack of a 2d match engine was a downer at first, but the ability to play beyond one season, getting players promoted from your youth team and the tactic battles we had in our hotseat saves really made up for the lack of graphics and got us hooked.

Needless to say I got every version I could from there on :D

Aye, you don't need to be over thirty to have followed the game for over a decade. I'm 23 and I started on Cm2. And I still remember that my first ever game was a Rangers v Club Brugges european qualifier. My cousin set me up on his game and all the way home in the car I was talking about this excellent game I had to buy.

I can remember so, so far back because I can recall being incensed and confounded when the black and blue text would flash for a goal for those bloody Belgians... Even now, I make a point of inviting Brugges for a pre-season friendly.

Anyone else remember their first ever champy match?? I suppose I'll be the only one that sad...

Archived