Manchester United Thread 2015/16

Harryseaess

• Replies 11.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Playing Depay on the right is some of the dumbest **** I've heard in a while.

'Hey lets take the guy who has scored half our goals this season and play him in a position which makes all of his best attributes useless against a team who couldn't deal with him last week'

That will work well.

While I don't necessarily disagree with your opinion, "half our goals" is less convincing when we consider that the raw number is in fact 2.

I'd put forward another possible opinion: it might be better for a young talented player to experience many different positions in order to better understand the system and how the team/other teams plays rather than pigeonhole him early in his career. Michael Cox had a piece about building versatility early in a player's career in order for them to be more productive in their "proper" role when they have matured more. Most of the world class players around today are capable of playing in more than one position.

Have there been any rumours about us going in for Berardi? Looks like he could be worth a punt, he has a good goalscoring record for Sassuolo (42 goals in 99 games) and is only 21. Can play upfront or on the wings, left footed so would be a decent option on the right to cut in and shoot.

There's already an agreement in place for him to join Juventus next summer. Clubs in Italy can't have co-ownership deals anymore, so Juventus sold their stake in him to Sassoulo to get around it.

Apparently lvg has confirmed that fellaini will be used as a forward this season... I am hoping that is just as the go to option for the last 20 mins if we can't break teams down rather than starting him there regularly.
Seen on Twitter about Fellaini. Wouldn't surprise me if it something lost in translation with LVG.

Happens alot. Because he says things with such confidence, the media and fans think its 100% what he means.

I saw the press conference, and he definitely meant up front as 9/10. Even made a joke about it, sort of.

Don't disagree with him either. As he implied, we have better options in CM now, and Fellaini is more useful to us up front than in central midfield.

Really hope DDG will stay, but can't shake the feeling that we're not playing him because he's gone, and if we did in the CL qualifiers he'd be CL-tied if we go through (think that's how it works).

As good as our transfer business has been so far (it really has been good), this would mean losing the only world class players in the team in the same window in DDG and di Maria.

Two steps forward and two back?

I doubt that Berardi will ever go to Man Utd. Juventus sold him to sausuolo only because the co ownership wasnt allowed anymore. I think Juventus have a first option on him and I can imagine some more 'protective' clauses were agreed on when they sold him.
There's already an agreement in place for him to join Juventus next summer. Clubs in Italy can't have co-ownership deals anymore, so Juventus sold their stake in him to Sassoulo to get around it.

That's a shame then, looks like he'll be a very good player.

I'd put forward another possible opinion: it might be better for a young talented player to experience many different positions in order to better understand the system and how the team/other teams plays rather than pigeonhole him early in his career. Michael Cox had a piece about building versatility early in a player's career in order for them to be more productive in their "proper" role when they have matured more. Most of the world class players around today are capable of playing in more than one position.

I'd be interested to see the article but I'd presume he means more very young players, still in early development stages. I know, for example, Ajax make players throughout their youth system play across various positions in order to gain experience and knowledge of every part of the game.

I saw the press conference, and he definitely meant up front as 9/10. Even made a joke about it, sort of.

Don't disagree with him either. As he implied, we have better options in CM now, and Fellaini is more useful to us up front than in central midfield.

Really hope DDG will stay, but can't shake the feeling that we're not playing him because he's gone, and if we did in the CL qualifiers he'd be CL-tied if we go through (think that's how it works).

As good as our transfer business has been so far (it really has been good), this would mean losing the only world class players in the team in the same window in DDG and di Maria.

Two steps forward and two back?

LvG Fellaini comments on video here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/34061547

While I don't necessarily disagree with your opinion, "half our goals" is less convincing when we consider that the raw number is in fact 2.

That's the point, although you have it the wrong way around. If we'd already scored 20 goals it would be fine but he's literally the only goal threat that we have

That's all well and good if he was an under-performing young player in an otherwise functioning team. However his role is pretty much the only bit of the offense that actually might bag a goal at this point.

I'll repeat, it's stupid on every level.

If anyone hasn't seen them the goals from the first leg against Brugge are now up on the BT Sport website (might be UK users only). It looks like they'll be putting up goals from the matches on their site for free one week after the game, they also seem to be uploading one goal from each game straight after the games have finished, however you have to wait the full week before you can see the rest of the goals from the matches.

Ipswich could have proved a bit of a bananaskin but now we'll be facing them with Neymar, Bale, Muller, Benzema and Ronaldo I'm confident we'll get the win.

I'm sad enough to remember United getting a chasing by Ipswich in the Coca-Cola with an even better team - Nevland, Mulryne, Curtis, Cruyff, Thornley, etc...

I wish Carrick/Herrera and our fullbacks were allowed to make forward runs more than once every blue moon. Someone mentioned we might do well in Europe this season. Think they might be right. Feel like we need 1-2 more individually brilliant players like Depay to make it far though. Boring as **** to watch, but tbh we look a lot like we've did away in Europe under Ferguson when Ronaldo was here, and we didn't do to bad then.

We've had like 3 clear cut chances and a handful of other decent ones in a half. Under Fergie this would have been called a decent half and people would be hoping we don't try and sit on it in the second half and go for the kill (which we inevitably wouldn't do). It's only shocking if the only football match you've ever seen is the Brazil v Germany game at the last world cup.

We've had like 3 clear cut chances and a handful of other decent ones in a half. Under Fergie this would have been called a decent half and people would be hoping we don't try and sit on it in the second half and go for the kill (which we inevitably wouldn't do). It's only shocking if the only football match you've ever seen is the Brazil v Germany game at the last world cup.

This all over. 5-1 up in aggregate and it's not good enough? Ridiculous. Did I not hear some statistic about Brugge not being beaten at home in Europe for a good while?

Archived