Manchester United Thread 2015/16

Harryseaess

• Replies 11.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
well imagine this, you could get 4th place but your 2 main rivals city and Liverpool winning euro trophies meaning utd wouldn't get into CL!

Liverpool winning the Europa would have no affect on United's CL hopes

You can tell United won just by Superman_uk123 showing his face

Liverpool winning the Europa would have no affect on United's CL hopes

You can tell United won just by Superman_uk123 showing his face

if city win CL AND pool win Europa then 4th place wont make CL, assuming city and pool outside top 4.

Ah, thought the tweet I saw was during the game, must have been after the game :thup:

So in a way, only football remains. Interesting

Do you actually think adding 20 mins to each half would be a good idea? My god.

If you used a stop clock you'd have to reduce the length of each half to like 25 mins instead of 45.

If you used a stop clock you'd have to reduce the length of each half to like 25 mins instead of 45.

I never, ever said I wanted to add anything to each half. That's something you've come up with.

You'd shorten the halves to give the same amount of in-game time as you have now, so it'd be something like 2x30 minutes

I mean if you ignore context then that's exactly what Ice is saying, but that would be a very moronic way of looking at the world.

Feel like this is appropriate again. No idea why Ice is attracting them all of a sudden.

This post started it off again yesterday

6 added minutes :thup:

And yet some people on here refuse to see the benefits of a stop clock time keeping :D Incredible

(that's not me necessarily saying the time is wrong, fwiw)

I would be interested in any sports historians who are able to show how the introduction of time in/time out clocks in other sports have created a better experience for players & fans, Google tells me that on average an NFL game has 11 minutes of actual game time which is appalling & it surely can't have always been that way.

I have always liked carrick, but have to admit in last half dozen games it is looking like age has caught up with him

was hoping for another year out of him, lets see how he goes now until the end of season press are stating he is unsure if he wants to extend the contract

He made one interception and one tackle, and his sub-80% pass completion is a clear example of him being a shadow of his former self.

Telling me he's always been underrated is a bit rich given I was virtually a lone voice in here at times championing his contributions when the vast majority of the thread wanted rid of him post-Rome. In his prime he had a peerless ability to identify danger and stymie opposition attacks purely by taking up the right position between the man on the ball and his most dangerous passing option. Sad truth is that that sharpness now seems to have left him and all too often you see him arriving into the space he would have already taken up at his peak, just as the ball goes past him. Similarly he used to find a balance between playing the early ball and waiting for movement to develop ahead of him; now he seems as likely to either dally or rush the pass. Often seems to need an extra touch and gets flustered easily when pressed.

Unfortunately the idea of Herrera and Schneiderlin doing his running for him isn't really a solution. This isn't like bringing Fletcher in as Keane's legs - Carrick never had pace and dynamism to lose. It's more similar to Scholes, but we don't have anyone as mentally sharp, technically adept and tactically astute as Carrick was at the time. At a push Schneiderlin could perhaps do it but it'd compromise his qualities so much that I really think that Blind - though he'll never match Carrick for ability - could provide a better base for Schneiderlin and Herrera and form a stronger midfield unit.

Unfortunately the idea of Herrera and Schneiderlin doing his running for him isn't really a solution. This isn't like bringing Fletcher in as Keane's legs - Carrick never had pace and dynamism to lose. It's more similar to Scholes, but we don't have anyone as mentally sharp, technically adept and tactically astute as Carrick was at the time. At a push Schneiderlin could perhaps do it but it'd compromise his qualities so much that I really think that Blind - though he'll never match Carrick for ability - could provide a better base for Schneiderlin and Herrera and form a stronger midfield unit.

Can't argue with your first few paragraphs but I do disagree here. Bayern and Madrid have protected Alonso for years with dynamic midfielders, same with Pirlo in his final seasons at Juventus. You're right, Carrick never had pace to lose, but neither did those two.

The real question is whether it's worth protecting him. I think it is but I accept I'm a little biased. The defensive issues you mentioned in the City game - not quite getting to the right position in time - could be attributed just as much to the exposure of playing in what is essentially a 2 man midfield at the age of 34 (let's not pretend Mata is helping much defensively) rather than a decline in ability.

Take the point but firstly both Alonso and Pirlo were very much quarterbacks first and foremost, while Carrick has split that duty with being our most prominent defensive midfielder for a decade. Secondly, Bayern's Guardiolaball, the slower pace of Serie A and the lower quality of both leagues, particularly Serie A, make them different propositions. No doubt Carrick would boss Italy.

So we will have a pre-season tour of China this year, playing City.

Also, looks like we've signed 16 year old Feyenoord striker Tahith Chong. Looks like Fellaini may have to leave because there's only room for one crazy afro at the club:

chong-e1443365814104.jpg

So we will have a pre-season tour of China this year, playing City.

Also, looks like we've signed 16 year old Feyenoord striker Tahith Chong. Looks like Fellaini may have to leave because there's only room for one crazy afro at the club:

chong-e1443365814104.jpg

From selling Chich to buying Chong in less than a year eh.

It looks like he's actually having to strain his neck muscles to stop his hair toppling his head over.

I'd like to think that Fergie would have been waiting with a pair of clippers on his first day at training.

When is the West Ham replay?

In case it's been missed, the replay has been confirmed for a 19:00 kick off on Wed 13th April.

Apparently the FA may face a fine from UEFA as the game will not finish before the 2nd legs of the A Madrid Vs Barca & Benfica Vs Bayern games kick off.

In case it's been missed, the replay has been confirmed for a 19:00 kick off on Wed 13th April.

Apparently the FA may face a fine from UEFA as the game will not finish before the 2nd legs of the A Madrid Vs Barca & Benfica Vs Bayern games kick off.

Wow ok, thanks for the info. Uefa need not worry, we'll probably play so badly everyone will change channel anyway.

Basti done for the season :thdn: Euros in doubt for him too

Thats not the worse thing. He's been terrible since he came back and looks like he ate Rooney while injured.

There's no way he would've played a full match before the end of the season.

But its a shame he'll miss the Euros. He can focus on being as fit as possible for next season.

I think that Bayern tucked you guys up on that deal, not sure if I said it in this forum but certainly mentioned to ManUtd supporting friends that look done for during the end of his time at Bayern.

Archived