Match 15 - Belgium V Algeria - 17:00 BST - Group H - ITV

CaptainPlanet

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That's more like the Fellaini we know!

Wish we saw more of that Fellaini last season :(

He's been fantastic since he came on, and could have had a hattrick (the great save, and that ball he took down on his chest).

I'm a little disappointed Algerie didn't hold out, though, as it's always fun with an underdog win.

My first response to that Fellaini goal was why the hell he couldnt do that with United. Then I realized is because hes played as a DM. I remember that one game where Jamie Wilson scored twice, Fellaini set up at least one of his goals in an AM position. Should be played there more often.

Thought it was very typical Belgium match, so I'm kinda glad this was the game of our introduction to an international audience.

We have lots of possession and a relatively solid defense. But there's absolutely no depth or no tempo in this team. This was probably the slowest game of the entire WC.

Our backs are a major problem (they have been for years). Alderweireld and Vertonghen are fine players, but they're central defenders who add nothing in offense and are not agile or fast enough in defense, so it's no coincidence the penalty came after an absolutely unnecessary fault from the latter one.

Dembele is a fantastic player, but he brings absolutely zero depth. His standard move is: he gets the ball, he runs, he runs some more, he makes a few turns and cuts, then he passes the ball to the back or to a player standing like 1 meter away from him. Lukaku is a good player for a counter team, he just doesn't fit this model. His link up play is awful. Apart from the last 10 minutes, Hazard played in his usual Belgium-mode. Invisible.

These are not the observations from tonight. It's the same problems over and over again in each new game during the entire campaign, every friendly and logically also on this tournament.

Like I said before on this forum, we're not a dark horse. We just aren't that good. We should have the ambition for the second round, learn from it and try to improve and be better in 2-4 years.

Belgium were certainly better in the 2nd half, but still nowhere near as good as predicted.

People who predicted better from us obviously never seen us play. We always have lots of possession and a relatively good defense. But we're a way too static team.

All you need is someone who can pass a fancy through ball and you're a top top team.

I agree we could definitely use that type of player, but if think there's more lacking. We need backs and we have too many players who demand and need to 'feel' the ball and too few players making off-the-ball runs and 'going deep'.

Also, to all those voicing their surprise at Fellaini doing well, he's completely different for the national team. Most players do well for their clubs and poor for their country, but Fellaini is often very good for us.

Archived