Match 11 - Group F - Argentina v Eva Herzigova - 23:00 BST - Bosnia could get Messi

Rhino

• Replies 475
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Does it matter? Not an abbreviation, just a shortening of their name

Well, not really, no. It's just strange.

I mean, they took Costa Rica's official one of CRC. Not COS or COR or anything like that. So why not do it with everyone? Also had Japan as JPN, not JAP.

Be like having England as EGD or something. It's just weird and incorrect.

An abbreviation is a shortening of their name btw :lol:

Well, not really, no. It's just strange.

I mean, they took Costa Rica's official one of CRC. Not COS or COR or anything like that. So why not do it with everyone? Also had Japan as JPN, not JAP.

Be like having England as EGD or something. It's just weird and incorrect.

An abbreviation is a shortening of their name btw :lol:

Haha :D I thought an abbreviation was the first letter of all of a few words

I think with BOS it's pretty clear who's playing

Well to clued up/non-ignorant people, BIH is clear too.

Also doesn't really clarify, then, why Costa Rica was CRC. Because CRC does not make it clear that it's Costa Rica.

Also doesn't really clarify, then, why Costa Rica was CRC. Because CRC does not make it clear that it's Costa Rica.

How so? You think you get many people thinking it's Cyclic Redundancy Check?

How so? You think you many people thinking it's Cyclic Redundancy Check?

And what are they going to think of BIH?

You now see my point, I hope.

CRC is clearly Costa Rica in the same way BIH is clearly Bosnia-Hercegovina. It's only 'confusing' or 'unclear' to people who are stupid/ignorant/unobservant.

It's BIH on the feed I'm watching.

Here it's 'BOS'.

I assume they don't use BIH because the 'i' in the middle would confuse people.

JAP probably not used for Japan because JAP used to be/might still be a derogatory term.

Jap is an English abbreviation of the word "Japanese." Today it is generally regarded as an ethnic slur among Japanese minority populations in other countries, although English-speaking countries differ in the degree to which they consider the term offensive. In the United States, Japanese Americans have come to find the term controversial or offensive, even when used as an abbreviation.[1] In the past, Jap was not considered primarily offensive; however, during and after the events of World War II, the term became derogatory.[2]

I got nuthin for ya

but think you may be over thinking it :D

CRC pretty clear to me though as well

There isn't an abbreviation that could confuse me in this tournament. There, I said it

BRA is confusing, as it's Brandenburg's abbreviation in the Europa Universalis games. :(

CRC pretty clear to me though as well

There isn't an abbreviation that could confuse me in this tournament. There, I said it

To most fans I don't think there is tbf. Most of them are easy/self-explanatory.

Probably the only three 'confusing' ones are BIH, CRC and CIV (because people might not know that Côte d'Ivoire is the Ivory Coast because ignorance etc). And those aren't even confusing in any way :D

Archived