The Official England World Cup Thread

AndyFal36

Alternatively, my view has always been for England to play and set up like Liverpool this season.

Hart, Cahill, Jagielka, Wilshere, Rooney

replacing

Mignolet, Skrtel, Agger, Coutinho, Suarez

So basically you want us to concede a ton of goals without the brilliance of Suarez to make up for it? Top idea :applause:

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Going attacking like that would be an awful idea in that humidity, what we need are players able to keep the ball and limit the amount of running we do.

Gerrard and Henderson behind Lallana with Rooney on left and Milner on the right and then Sterling and Barkley to come on for the final 20/25 mins to run at the Italians would be better.

I'd want to spring the runners on with 25 minutes to go against tired legs/cover our own tired legs. But firstly we need to take Pirlo out the game or its going to be a very long 90 minutes.

I'd want to spring the runners on with 25 minutes to go against tired legs/cover our own tired legs. But firstly we need to take Pirlo out the game or its going to be a very long 90 minutes.

Yeah, agree 100%, for us to gain the advantage of bringing on the likes of Barkley and Sterling for the final 25 minutes then we will need to find a way to nullify Pirlo for the proceeding 70 odd minutes, which is why I'd have Lallana in as he's someone who is able to keep possession ticking over and is more then comfortable on either foot, facing goal as well as having his back to goal.

Yeah, agree 100%, for us to gain the advantage of bringing on the likes of Barkley and Sterling for the final 25 minutes then we will need to find a way to nullify Pirlo for the proceeding 70 odd minutes, which is why I'd have Lallana in as he's someone who is able to keep possession ticking over and is more then comfortable on either foot, facing goal as well as having his back to goal.

Yep, it's Uruguay and Costa Rica that I would want to attack. Both sides defences are solid when deep, but they dont like moving beyond the 18 yard line, especially Costa Rica. Uruguay's midfield is relatively slow, so they will sit deep, which should give us the chance to control the midfield and worry less about players dictating, so that's a good time to play the likes of Barkley, Sterling, and Welbeck if he doesnt start against Italy, get them running at midfield and defenders.

England starting XI: Hart, Johnson, Baines, Gerrard, Cahill, Jagielka, Henderson, Rooney, Lallana, Sturridge, Welbeck.

Is that the same 11 as against Peru then? Looks like it.

Shoot out between Barkley and Rooney i guess, but probably. Worried about the right hand side if its a 4-2-3-1 with Lallana, but then Italy dont have an overly attacking left back iirc?

Sterling was supposed to start tonight but still has a chance of starting against Italy, so I imagine it's down to Lallana and Welbeck to impress tonight.
I'd prefer Welbeck or even Milner against Abate. Abate is extremely quick, can see him getting away Lallana on the left, unless Sterling plays left.

I know it's said every time football is on ITV but Andy Townsend is ****ing awful. Everything he says is irritating.

Wish we had the choice to watch the game without commentary but with the noise in the stadium.

Archived