Football Manager 2014 - Update 14.2.2 - Feedback Thread

I dont think its fair to say SI are incompetent or that they disregard anyone because you dont like the role descriptions, they suit me fine.

Also a DLP doesnt hold up the ball.

well he did hold it in FM13... how do you know he doesn't in fm14 ?

The point is that because of a simple on / off instruction (and there were a few) we have to change to a different role. Ok you can say "but you can set your player instructions to the previous role"... yes, maybe I can, but the mentality and CF will always be different.

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sure he does and I don't want him to... so, why do I have to change a player role and / or duty with the consequent change of mentality and CF because of a simple on / off instruction ???? ridiculous :thdn:

Why would you want to tell him not to?

In game description: Hold Up Ball asks players to take a moment or two longer with the ball than they perhaps would ordinarily, slowing the pace of the game in order to gain a greater perspective over affairs.

Does that not sound like what a DLP does? You can't change it, because it's a vital part of the role. Like cutting in for an Inside Forward.

In game description: Hold Up Ball asks players to take a moment or two longer with the ball than they perhaps would ordinarily, slowing the pace of the game in order to gain a greater perspective over affairs.

Does that not sound like what a DLP does? You can't change it, because it's a vital part of the role. Like cutting in for an Inside Forward.

ok it does sound but I wouldn't I ? I am manager right ? Do you know any manager that is obliged to stick to someone else logic of the game, duties, roles ??? I don't ! I'm a manager, that's what the game allows to be, to be a manager, so it's my logic, my way of thinking. The question remains, why should we have to go for a completly different role that would have a different mentality and CF that has implications on my game, on my playing, just because a simple on / off instruction ? At least give the chance to tell the player (not the all team) to be more disciplined... or not.

Do you undertand ? it's not because of the hold the ball instruction, it's because of the implications it has having to change the role.

Except that the DLF and CM-D duty are both told to hold up the ball so they become a problem in a system playing a direct, attacking football. I want my strikers and holding midfielders to make themselves available for a pass early on, then pass the ball on quickly in order to create a fluid, attacking football. I do not want them to "wait for support". I make sure they have support! Hold Up Ball has too much of a consequence for too many styles of football to stay hidden. Instead of adding new roles that do not have that instruction, just give us control over it like you do Roaming.

Except that the DLF and CM-D duty are both told to hold up the ball so they become a problem in a system playing a direct, attacking football. I want my strikers and holding midfielders to make themselves available for a pass early on, then pass the ball on quickly in order to create a fluid, attacking football. I do not want them to "wait for support". I make sure they have support! Hold Up Ball has too much of a consequence for too many styles of football to stay hidden. Instead of adding new roles that do not have that instruction, just give us control over it like you do Roaming.

If you're going to play direct attacking football, CM-D should be fine instead of a DLP-D, don't you think? With a playmaking role, players will actively seek him out. So you should have your playmakers higher up, so that they seek them out instead.

ok it does sound but I wouldn't I ? I am manager right ? Do you know any manager that is obliged to stick to someone else logic of the game, duties, roles ??? I don't ! I'm a manager, that's what the game allows to be, to be a manager, so it's my logic, my way of thinking. The question remains, why should we have to go for a completly different role that would have a different mentality and CF that has implications on my game, on my playing, just because a simple on / off instruction ? At least give the chance to tell the player (not the all team) to be more disciplined... or not.

Do you undertand ? it's not because of the hold the ball instruction, it's because of the implications it has having to change the role.

It's a computer game. You're going to struggle to build an AI that lets you have complete freedom, so it's pointless to compare to a human manager who can.

It's a computer game. You're going to struggle to build an AI that lets you have complete freedom, so it's pointless to compare to a human manager who can.

Sorry but I don't think that's a plausible justification for the issues I have mentioned above... it has been always a computer game, until this year we could customize things according to our way of thinking, with all the bads and goods included. But as I said previously, I'm ok with not having sliders as I would be having. That's not the issue! The issue is, in my perspective, the 4 points I've mentioned before: a) people get bored of having to deal with a more complex game (these are to be the same that previously complain FM not being realistic) b) Better roles and duties explanations c) some on / off instructions should be customize: I shouldn't have to go for a different role that will change my playing because of a simple on / off... and d) It should be available a player instruction to be more expressive or more disciplined: I shouldn't have to change the all structure of expressiveness just because one or two players.

Sorry but I don't think that's a plausible justification for the issues I have mentioned above... it has been always a computer game, until this year we could customize things according to our way of thinking, with all the bads and goods included. But as I said previously, I'm ok with not having sliders as I would be having. That's not the issue! The issue is, in my perspective, the 4 points I've mentioned before: a) people get bored of having to deal with a more complex game (these are to be the same that previously complain FM not being realistic) b) Better roles and duties explanations c) some on / off instructions should be customize: I shouldn't have to go for a different role that will change my playing because of a simple on / off... and d) It should be available a player instruction to be more expressive or more disciplined: I shouldn't have to change the all structure of expressiveness just because one or two players.

A - So more complex = boring? I would have thought a simple game = boring.

B - I suppose it could be improved, but what we have now works too.

C - No. Why do you want to change it? As I have explained (and I thought it was pretty clear), you can't change something that is vital to how a role works. I'm starting to think you don't have a clear picture in your head about how you want your team to play. Either that or you don't understand how "hold up ball" works.

D - Why do you want to be able to change it? That is the point of the "fluidity" team setting.

This isn't feedback per say, and might just be me missing something obvious, but it regards tutoring of young players..

Am I right to believe that those with a professional personality make the better tutors?

If so, a filter option in player search for personality type would be awesome, as well as player reputation as that also plays a role..

Goalkeeping errors and own goals aside, this update is infuriating. Players taking ridiculous amounts of touches in goal scoring situations, every cross pretty much from the byline resulting in a corner.

SI have done some great work, really admire and love the series of games. However, this update has to go down as a real let down for players of the game.

Please release 14.3 asap. I know you'll get it right eventually.

If you're going to play direct attacking football, CM-D should be fine instead of a DLP-D, don't you think? With a playmaking role, players will actively seek him out. So you should have your playmakers higher up, so that they seek them out instead.

Well I did talk about the CM-D role which is what I use. His role is to stop the opposition from creating anything in the middle, and play the ball on. He is not supposed to wait for support - that completely breaks the rhythm. The same goes for the DLF, which I use because they can both spearhead attacks and create something for others. I do not necessarily want them to hold off defenders for a few seconds to wait for the support roles to join the attack. As of now, there are no really suitable roles for creative but small/weak strikers, unless you want them as playmakers. The number of times I have seen defenders just waste them before they even get to control the ball when trying to hold it up just rules those types of players out.

I need a generalized role for "complete" strikers who are not world class (i.e players who are capable of creating chances for others as well as themselves but not necessarily carry the whole team), and I need a generalized role for midfielders on defensive duty without the hold up ball instruction intended for unintelligent footballers.

I need a generalized role for "complete" strikers who are not world class (i.e players who are capable of creating chances for others as well as themselves but not necessarily carry the whole team), and I need a generalized role for midfielders on defensive duty without the hold up ball instruction intended for unintelligent footballers.

Complete forward? That's what I use.

Edit: Hold Up Ball for the less intelligent players may be a good thing. Lets them take a moment to think what they're doing instead of making a rash pass.

A - So more complex = boring? I would have thought a simple game = boring.

B - I suppose it could be improved, but what we have now works too.

C - No. Why do you want to change it? As I have explained (and I thought it was pretty clear), you can't change something that is vital to how a role works. I'm starting to think you don't have a clear picture in your head about how you want your team to play. Either that or you don't understand how "hold up ball" works.

D - Why do you want to be able to change it? That is the point of the "fluidity" team setting.

starting to wonder where is the clear picture lool, it might good for you to read all that I wrote and not just a few parts, so let me repeat myself: I'm ok with this system and I was ok with sliders and I said that the same people that now complain were the same that complained FM was unrealistic... got it ? saying this you might understand that I don't think the game is bored because as I also pointed the ME is a lot better and I enjoy playing... got it ? As for B, you see its not that difficult to recognize it can and it should have been improved.

As for C and D, well, by your questions that means the logic behind previous FM was completly wrong since we are able to some customization or just switch on / off instructions or even tell a player to stick more instructions although other could be more expressive.

You said "Do you know any manager that is obliged to stick to someone else logic of the game, duties, roles ???", so I answered that question.

My viewpoint is that they have to limit the inputs going into the ME in some way. They simply can't allow an open ended "logical" system where the manager can let his imagination run wild. They have to limit things. Sure, the options now are more limited than with sliders, but it's strange that you complain they're now somehow less realistic when the sliders were even further from that.

I kind of get where you're coming from about explaining the roles. That's true, even if it's just a guide online. I'm not sure I agree with more freedom around instructions. Certain ones would not be customisable because then the roles wouldn't make sense. Also, has anyone ever thought that having these slightly narrower roles may lead to the ME being more realistic? We're cutting down on inputs, which cuts on complexity, which allows the ME to model things more realistically. Theoretically of course.

You said "Do you know any manager that is obliged to stick to someone else logic of the game, duties, roles ???", so I answered that question.

My viewpoint is that they have to limit the inputs going into the ME in some way. They simply can't allow an open ended "logical" system where the manager can let his imagination run wild. They have to limit things. Sure, the options now are more limited than with sliders, but it's strange that you complain they're now somehow less realistic when the sliders were even further from that.

I kind of get where you're coming from about explaining the roles. That's true, even if it's just a guide online. I'm not sure I agree with more freedom around instructions. Certain ones would not be customisable because then the roles wouldn't make sense. Also, has anyone ever thought that having these slightly narrower roles may lead to the ME being more realistic? We're cutting down on inputs, which cuts on complexity, which allows the ME to model things more realistically. Theoretically of course.

Exactly. Things like specific coding for the half-back role dropping between centrebacks are now possible. The ME will get better and better because of the limiting of inputs. Previously (as an example) I could have a DLF/S, but change all his settings to that of a poacher and he'd play like a poacher. Where's the sense in that? We're now given roles that we can customise, but not so much that he isn't playing that role anymore.

Complete forward? That's what I use.

Edit: Hold Up Ball for the less intelligent players may be a good thing. Lets them take a moment to think what they're doing instead of making a rash pass.

Don't they run a lot with the ball?

I remember FM13 (or was it 12?) - CF had Often on... well everything. I could tell them to run less with the ball but not to drop deeper. Does CF-S have Hold Up Ball?

About the less intelligent players - the point is that CM-D with Hold up ball is not catastrophic in the beginning when I am just focused on getting enough physique there, but later, when I go for more complete footballers in those roles, they could play a much bigger part in the attacking play as important links in the passing chain both on quick attacks and on slower attacks, but HoB ruins both functions.

To expand upon it, say there's 12 roles (I have no idea how many roles are actually in the game). That's 12 modules of code that can represent a player. Each one of these can be coded in such a way that each module defines exactly how each of these players will behave. So far, so simple. Then you can add your individual instructions. A bit more complex, yes, but we've locked off some, so these will just be modifiers of the current behaviour, so can move seamlessly into the existing modules.

Then take the old way. You have roles, but they are pretty much pointless once you delve into sliders. Like HUNT3R says, you can set a DLF, then change each setting inside until you've turned him into a poacher. I imagine there's still a module for DLF, but it's now got to look at every single little change and modify behaviour accordingly. Horrible.

Of course, neither scenario may work like that, but I'd be surprised if the basic concepts are much different.

Don't they run a lot with the ball?

I remember FM13 (or was it 12?) - CF had Often on... well everything. I could tell them to run less with the ball but not to drop deeper. Does CF-S have Hold Up Ball?

A lot of it seems to be on "often". You can limit the areas where the player is weak though. I can tell a CF/S to dribble less (changing it to mixed/sometimes), shoot more or less, play fewer risky passes (making it sometimes) and hold position. That's a lot of tactical customisation right there.

Ok, that is understable that there must be some limit.

Where did I complain that the game is less realistic ?????????????????????????????????

I didn't say more freedom around roles, I said more freedom AND more disciplined / less freedom :-) I am allowed to say to my team either to be more expressive or not, i think it would be nice to say the same to each player.

In my opinion the bits that need working on are.

1. Keepers

2. Corners, how they are taken, how they are conceded and how many goals they produce, tweaking needs to be cautious, in my book corners are producing some pretty realistic goal mouth action we don't want to lose that.

3. Awareness of passing options, while passing, movement and crossing are now far more realistic there is still a tendency to shovel the ball into the middle, tactics have to be very precise so as to achieve what players should be doing naturally, without the need for specific tactical instruction, in other words exploit the flanks when possible. It’s still difficult to get strikers to run wide, the ME doesn’t seem at this stage to have fully grasped the concept that sometimes the role of a player is to drag the defence/a defender out of position so as to facilitate the run/s of a team mate/s and not necessarily look to score themselves.

4. Tactics are not the be all and end all, many games in real football are won or lost simply because of the quality of the players for one side or the other and not because the tactics of the other side were wrong. Unless a team’s tactics are way off, i.e. players being asked to do things they are not comfortable with, in the wrong roles or playing too many players out of position then your tactics should not be resulting in your players playing like a bunch of numptys.

A couple of things for the future, players being able to swap wings but not restricted by having to swap with the other winger, I play with one winger I'd like the option to tell him to swap flanks every now and then, roam from position should perhaps do this but it does not. Likewise for defenders, I'd like to tell a defender with good ball skills to break forward if the chance presents itself, knowing that a midfielder would drop back to keep shape, think Alan Hanson/Liverpool in the 70s and 80s, that to my mind is where we should be looking for flexibility, team philosophy as much as individual player focus.

Completly agree with you.

I come here to this forum and several others and I read a lot of complains that people take as bugs and I don't have the problems that they report... so, it must be their tactics. Not that my tactical view is great but until now I'm doing ok.

Then we have this thing with the tactical system, sliders are done, roles, duties and concepts are here to stay. That's fine, I didn't have a problem with sliders and I don't have a problem with this system, I understand it but I know I can improve. The problem and it seems to me that SI and some moderators around here are being very rigid and stubborn is:

a) many people wants to play for the fun of it and not having to read books, articles and encyclopedias about football in order to understand players roles and duties, strategies and philosophies and these people are a lot more in number that the ones who have the patience to dive in those articles

b) roles and duties descriptions should have been updated with better explanations and not just simply the ones from fm13: this can be understand either as incompetence or disregard for customers

c) last but not least, although is always a kind of subjective, there are tactical details that I think should not be so rigid: there were a few on / off instructions that are now unavailable. If I want to use a DLP I will know that we will hold the ball but if I don't want him to hold the ball the only thing I can do is to change his role that will also change his mentality and CF... completly a potatoe logic :thdn: A simple on / off instruction and I am obligated to change an entire role!!!

I think the text I've underlined isn't entirely fair on SI or the moderators and probably gets people's backs up, and some points are a little exaggerated. This deflects from what is otherwise a good post and series of points that you make here.

I've been playing the FM / CM series since the mid 90's and have seen, over time, the game evolve to ever newer levels of complexity and demands on the players. These increased demands, of which I think tactical knowledge is one and time per match invested is another, will suit some players more than others. I've posted at length about this myself in one of the feedback threads, that many people just don't have the time / energy etc to put what is necessary into playing the game. I do think, now, that SI might find themselves at a crossroads. Some people want even more tactical complexity, some people feel its gone too far. I'm not sure SI will necessarily be able to please everyone with one version of FM. My suspicion is that SI are committed to making FM as accurate a simulation of football management as possible and that will mean more complexity. It could be that they'll lose some of their market. They've tried to adapt to this (they do listen!) with FM Classic mode but I don't think its there yet as many of the tactical knowledge & time issues are still there in that version.

Re. better explanations of player roles and, I think, team philosophy / strategy and team instructions, I agree with you. For example, it wasn't initially clear whether playing a control strategy produces a higher line by default, or whether you have to put those together in tandem (IIRC RTH made this point in the tactics forum) so I think there's been some oversight by SI on some of these issues but, in fairness, they are responding, as the 14.2 update does give a bit more information on some of the player & team instructions. I think its very easy for anyone making a product, such as a game, to get into a mindset where you intuitively understand things about that game and assume others do as well. That's why feedback threads such as these are important to SI and I really do think they listen and care about what people say here.

I don't agree with you re. point c) though. At the end of the day, if you change certain things about a role its no longer that role e.g. if I tell my winger not to dribble then really, how on earth can the definition of winger still fit? It doesn't and I think SI are right to insist that certain features stick to certain roles.

Please revert this patch, you have just make the game more buggy ingame and outgame

Match engine is horrible tons of mistakes unplayable and some stuff like checking the classification during online games while others are playing doesnt show and staff meetings to the players (except the host) dont show up

IS there issues with strikers in this patch ?

I'm seeing 2-3 occasions per match where he would rather shoot from 40 yards than drive into the acres of space he has or pass. It is really frustrating because I have done everything the tactics module lets me do to try to stop him shooting and they still do it.

Hugely disappointed this year, it's more apparent than ever that you are playing a game.

Here's some feedback from a long time customer: The game is unplayable for me after the latest patch since I start my new saves in February 2014, and the fact you can't roll back to an older patch makes me want to rip the hair off my head.

Merry Christmas.

I think the text I've underlined isn't entirely fair on SI or the moderators and probably gets people's backs up, and some points are a little exaggerated. This deflects from what is otherwise a good post and series of points that you make here.

I've been playing the FM / CM series since the mid 90's and have seen, over time, the game evolve to ever newer levels of complexity and demands on the players. These increased demands, of which I think tactical knowledge is one and time per match invested is another, will suit some players more than others. I've posted at length about this myself in one of the feedback threads, that many people just don't have the time / energy etc to put what is necessary into playing the game. I do think, now, that SI might find themselves at a crossroads. Some people want even more tactical complexity, some people feel its gone too far. I'm not sure SI will necessarily be able to please everyone with one version of FM. My suspicion is that SI are committed to making FM as accurate a simulation of football management as possible and that will mean more complexity. It could be that they'll lose some of their market. They've tried to adapt to this (they do listen!) with FM Classic mode but I don't think its there yet as many of the tactical knowledge & time issues are still there in that version.

Re. better explanations of player roles and, I think, team philosophy / strategy and team instructions, I agree with you. For example, it wasn't initially clear whether playing a control strategy produces a higher line by default, or whether you have to put those together in tandem (IIRC RTH made this point in the tactics forum) so I think there's been some oversight by SI on some of these issues but, in fairness, they are responding, as the 14.2 update does give a bit more information on some of the player & team instructions. I think its very easy for anyone making a product, such as a game, to get into a mindset where you intuitively understand things about that game and assume others do as well. That's why feedback threads such as these are important to SI and I really do think they listen and care about what people say here.

I don't agree with you re. point c) though. At the end of the day, if you change certain things about a role its no longer that role e.g. if I tell my winger not to dribble then really, how on earth can the definition of winger still fit? It doesn't and I think SI are right to insist that certain features stick to certain roles.

I agree with most of what you wrote. I find myself asking why, after so many years, there are obvious things still missing in FM (motivate a player during a match, how is it possible to be missing ???), so I really want more not because the game sucks (it really doesn't and after the errors and bugs is still awesome) but because it would be even better. Finally with 14.2 a few things improved a lot (for me not being british was the translations).

Where I don't agree with you is point C) just because one reason: dribble more is not and never was an on / off instruction I was just referring to these ones :-)

oh... and my apologies to SI and the moderators for my previous hot head comment

IS there issues with strikers in this patch ?

I'm seeing 2-3 occasions per match where he would rather shoot from 40 yards than drive into the acres of space he has or pass. It is really frustrating because I have done everything the tactics module lets me do to try to stop him shooting and they still do it.

Hugely disappointed this year, it's more apparent than ever that you are playing a game./QUOTE]

I feel they are not as good as they were.... any player first touch is a mess since 14.2

Okay so the patch has totally ruined the game for me! I was enjoying it, in fact loving it before it updated now I hate the match engine. My defence now seems to do nothing but make stupid bloody mistakes and my attack who had scored 50 goals between them before are now doing nothing! I am only scoring goals from freekicks or corners and conceding lots from corners too!

Why does this make it unplayable?

Because after the latest patch AI teams do not use their players properly during the game setup, so the league tables are all messed up and most players have no played games and no match fitness in February.

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/379059-Reviewed-14.2-Severe-bug-with-AI-teams-when-using-February-2014-start-of-new-game

I've said this a few times now but strikers are really poor in this patch.

In the premier league there's only one striker in the top 30 for average ratings. Benteke.

In the Bundesliga, there are no strikers in the top 20.

The top scorer in the premier league after 26 games is Rickie Lambert with 13 goals. Second place are Bony and Aguero with 12 each.

Strikers are poor. Their movement is poor, and finishing is so useless (not just strikers) and 1-v-1s are missed 90% of the time.

Another thing is the number of injuries. I get one every other match.

I've said this a few times now but strikers are really poor in this patch.

In the premier league there's only one striker in the top 30 for average ratings. Benteke.

In the Bundesliga, there are no strikers in the top 20.

The top scorer in the premier league after 26 games is Rickie Lambert with 13 goals. Second place are Bony and Aguero with 12 each.

Strikers are poor. Their movement is poor, and finishing is so useless (not just strikers) and 1-v-1s are missed 90% of the time.

Another thing is the number of injuries. I get one every other match.

Stikers are the same in my saves as are the player charts.

Far too many own goals on this patch.

Too many set piece goals too.

Becoming monotonous now.

EDIT: Just lost 1-0, only shot on target all game, 92nd minute winner, header from a corner.

I give up.

In the last patch I went 4 seasons without scoring a goal from a corner, in 14.2 my CB's are my top scorers with the set piece instructions set to whatever the default is.

Because after the latest patch AI teams do not use their players properly during the game setup, so the league tables are all messed up and most players have no played games and no match fitness in February.

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/379059-Reviewed-14.2-Severe-bug-with-AI-teams-when-using-February-2014-start-of-new-game

Can't you just start a game with a "throwaway" manager in Summer 2013 and then holiday until February 2014.

Return from holiday, retire as the original manager and add you as a manager and select the club you want to start with?

Archived