FM 2014 Pre-Release Beta - Official feedback thread.

Do you play any of the other big titles you have mentioned? Have you seen how many updates GTA V has had so far? 6 and counting and its been out a month or so. COD went through about 20 updates for Black Opps 2.

Fair point but, then again, as far as I am aware, none of those games try to model the personality of human beings and the effect of this on the game, do they? My opinion is that, if you can't do it well (player personalities, media interaction, body language etc) then I'd rather they didn't do it all or minimize the effects. This may be only my opinion but is certainly one of the biggest factors in polarizing opinion among us FM fans overs the past few years.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hi Oliver, interface bugs etc will certainly be updated as it will just require you to clear out your skin cache if anything at all. hope this helps

Thank you Welshace, so the only thing not updated in a beta save is 'data changes' ? Thank you

I have to say, i have hardly ever noticed my team being affected by a nervous player, i could probably count on one hand the number of times i have felt it has cost me anything. One player being nervous has never won or lost me games in FM. Its such a small factor overall.

Now that is interesting, as I have the complete opposite in my games! :(

I will get a good result almost every time (not that this is particularly realistic but I have been playing for many years) if I don't have a nervous player and a poor result almost every time if I have at least one nervous player. The effect does seems to lessen a little over time, if you are very successful and have the very best players at your disposal. I imagine this is down to the different ways we play and approach the game but it just drives me nuts that I have never been able to understand or resolve the problem in any way.

Do you play any of the other big titles you have mentioned? Have you seen how many updates GTA V has had so far? 6 and counting and its been out a month or so. COD went through about 20 updates for Black Opps 2.

Play them all, with the exception of the latest GTA due to the family commitments I mentioned. Whilst i'm aware of the fact each game has updates I don't remember ever playing COD (I've had every single incarnation on PC & Xbox) and feeling the game is unplayable to the point that have made me stop playing them to feel the need to discuss them on forums.

In saying all this I've nothing but admiration for all the people at si. How many big games companies have a relationship with charities and engage with their community like they do. That shouldn't however take away from the fact that they're producing a consumer product which in my opinion hasn't been up to scratch at release for the last few years. Just my opinion though and I realise that probably most people don't agree with me though but a lot of people probably do.

Posted this in the FM Classic bit, but this section is busier, and I have an update too..

Is there an issue with cloud saving? I saved my Gladbach game to the cloud on my PC last night. This morning, I went to play on the wife's PC, and the save game was there fine. Played a couple of games on it this morning, won them both to set up a cracking last four games of the season, then saved it to cloud again. Tonight, when I got home from work, I eagerly loaded it up only to find the last save was the one from last night. I don't understand why this is.

As an update, I've just loaded up the game on the wife's laptop there, and the save game from this morning is still there. So I created a new cloud save on it, shut it down, and loaded up the game on my own laptop, and the save game isn't there? Any ideas? Both machines have the cloud option ticked on Steam. Just don't understand it.

Just a question about financial fair play. I'm playing as Man City and the board just injected £17mil and £34mil to "allow the club to comply with financial fair play regulations". Doesn't this go against what FFP actually is? Sugar daddy owners shouldn't be able to just inject money into the club to comply with FFP, the club needs to be self sustainable.

Maybe my understanding of FFP is wrong, but some clarification would be nice.

thanks.

they're producing a consumer product which in my opinion hasn't been up to scratch at release for the last few years. Just my opinion though and I realise that probably most people don't agree with me though but a lot of people probably do.

I can't think of any title that was "up to scratch on release tbh" what singles out SI from most is what happens after release.

If you finish 11th in SPL (don't ask me how I know :( ) you get a news item saying "Team X has qualified for the Scottish Premiership by virtue of its results in the Scottish Premiership"

I guess it means relegation playoff, but its nonsense

sort it out SI

That sounds like a bug as it didn't do that in FM13

If you're talking about what I think you mean, it's possibly an intentional change. Someone from SI mentioned a few days ago that they've had to stop being able to scroll on the 'main' screen with the filter up as it was hiding 'vital' buttons. However, re-reading what you've written, if filter section is disappearing every time you select a player for a position, that sounds like a bug as it's not doing that for me.

Is it not possible to disable the player picture and the attribute octagon on the Player Attribute screen like last year? I'm playing at 1.25 zoom (which I love) and that cuts off the position overview box from that screen, which is much more useful than the player picture.

I tried getting used to having the Player Profile screen as the main landing page for players instead. I love that it's customizable, but the stats widgets are really useless compared to the stats one on the Attribute screen. And one of them is even bunching ALL matches together, including friendlies, when showing games, goals, average rating, etc.

It's probably too late to request a totally modular, flexible and customizable player profile screen, where you can add and position and resize widgets at will. So for this year I'd just like to request the ability to disable the player pics from the Attributes screen, so I can have the position overview showing instead.

If you finish 11th in SPL (don't ask me how I know :( ) you get a news item saying "Team X has qualified for the Scottish Premiership by virtue of its results in the Scottish Premiership"

I guess it means relegation playoff, but its nonsense

sort it out SI

They will if you do a bug report. :thup:

Hi

Not sure if this has been mentioned, I've done a quick search and couldn't find anything. The rule in the English Premier League about the registration of players is any player born on or after 1/1/92 (for this season) do not have to be registered however when reviewing my registrations for this season it says that players born on or after 1/9/92 do not have to be registered.

For example, Gary Gardner and Jores Okore at Aston Villa are not in the main 25 man squad in real life and are in the U21 list but on the game I need to register them in the main squad.

Hi

Not sure if this has been mentioned, I've done a quick search and couldn't find anything. The rule in the English Premier League about the registration of players is any player born on or after 1/1/92 (for this season) do not have to be registered however when reviewing my registrations for this season it says that players born on or after 1/9/92 do not have to be registered.

For example, Gary Gardner and Jores Okore at Aston Villa are not in the main 25 man squad in real life and are in the U21 list but on the game I need to register them in the main squad.

I'm pretty sure I've seen it mentioned before but no harm in another one.

Will the Demo have the same ME? Because it would surely help if there would be a newer one and we could give some more feedback before the release?

Last years Demo ME was updated to the release day one and subsequently to further updated ones so I'd say it's likely to be the same this year.

If you play a match in a cup against a team in the Scottish Championship, where they don't have squad numbers, the pre-match buildup screen just shows you their formation as the shirts are empty, and you have to wait on the empty shirts rolling over to names to see who you are playing against.

Is there a point in the screen if it doesn't show shirt numbers?

In defense of Pete S, I think a big part of the problem with morale and motivation is that it's impossible to say what's a "bug" because that part of the sport is basically impossible to model with any degree of accuracy. I mean, how can you possibly say what the objectively "correct" morale is for a player to have after losing his first game after a 10+ game win streak? It's not like we have real-life statistics to compare against. That's why I tend to agree with Pete that it's overall impact on the game should be relatively minimal.

It's impossible to tell, because the guys moaning about it, aren't giving any evidence as to why it is broken. They've been asked to provide information and/or screenshots regarding the teamtalks etc and post in the bugs forum, just to be sure, but nothing has happened.

Juventus have just won the league on my game in the first season and it says they have won it twice in a row but it is obviously the third in a row. Is this classed as a data issue? Not sure where to report it.

Yeh, I'd go with a data issue.

A much easier option is already available. Simply go into Staff responsibilities, click on First Team and tick the box saying Assistant Manager manages team in friendly matches.

Will the ass man play with the eleven and tactics I chose?

Has any else had a problem with the game just changing your club captain for no reason, i have had it with tottenham where dawson was set and suddenly i get a message saying i striped him of the captaincy and the squad is upset about it

Has any one actually won a single game in beta? I'm finding it impossible!

Won the German league with Schalke on the last day of the season. The tactics this year will take time to get use to. My experience with it was that I couldn't keep the tactic exactly the same from game to game. You've got to find one that works with your current team.

On miles interaction video on your manager profile - information screen it showed your manager tendancies along with other info.

Ive played my friendlies and 4 league games yet when I go to the exact screen on the video these screens are blank.

Do they come on later or something or is there a setting in preferences

It's impossible to tell, because the guys moaning about it, aren't giving any evidence as to why it is broken. They've been asked to provide information and/or screenshots regarding the teamtalks etc and post in the bugs forum, just to be sure, but nothing has happened.

I don't think that's entirely true. I explained why I think the logic behind the game isn't working properly in some detail a day or two ago. We just disagree on 2 things:

- the necessary process for reporting such issues, particularly the need for screenshots on what I believe is a more fundamental flaw than a mere bug.

- whose responsibility it is to escalate the issue, SI or the customer.

At the end of the day, you can't force me to raise it and I can't force you to do anything about it but as the customer I might have expected a little better. Suggest we move on and I try to summon up the enthusiasm to upload a detailed explanation on the problem to the bugs forum along with multiple screenshots. I wouldn't mind so much if I didn't have to do precisely that in the day job too!

The amount of clear cut chances/half chances missed in this game is really way too high. At least at low level. Seems like instead of making defense stronger (more realistic) they just made it harder to score.

Chances like this: a winger will break through, drill it in front of the goal and my striker hits it right at the gk. Sure its low level but these are chances that go in 90% of the time irl. Before this game gets great that needs to be fixed.

Has any one actually won a single game in beta? I'm finding it impossible!

And I thought I had problems lol. Seriously, though, this must be really frustrating and I'm sorry to hear that.

What tactics are you using? Are you one of the weakest sides in the league? Is morale low and do you have a lot of new/young players? So many factors can affect the game, particularly when you start at a new club. I would go back to something simple like a basic 4-4-2, not play too attacking for a while, try to play to your players' strengths (are they best technically, mentally or physically), get the team to work hard on the pitch (pressing etc), trying to grab the odd draw and then try improve bit by bit.

I have to say, i have hardly ever noticed my team being affected by a nervous player, i could probably count on one hand the number of times i have felt it has cost me anything. One player being nervous has never won or lost me games in FM. Its such a small factor overall.

This has really got me thinking. Is the nervous player reaction leading to poor results a symptom rather than the cause then, I wonder? if so, what do I do to counter it - any ideas?

This has been mentioned before but promises seem to be an issue. A number of times players have come to me asking for a move to a bigger club. I allow them on the transfer list. Some times passes and they ask to be taken off the transfer list but the promise remains. If the player isn't sold hes going to say that I've broken my promise and then ask to be transfer listed again. A vicious losing cycle for which I have so far found the solution of ignoring players who want to have a talk.

mine keeps on crashing, had 2 saves over last few days and both have just stopped working on different dates....anybody else had this problem?

There's a chance with random crashes that they're caused by hardware, rather than software... worth double checking a few things;

- DirectX and Java are up to date.

- Graphics card drivers are up to date.

Always worth a look if you're getting crashes.

There's a chance with random crashes that they're caused by hardware, rather than software... worth double checking a few things;

- DirectX and Java are up to date.

- Graphics card drivers are up to date.

Always worth a look if you're getting crashes.

cheers fella, updated my java, didnt realise it needed doing, hopefully it might help!

• SI Staff
Hi

Thanks, it is something that we are aware of and hope to have fixed for the full release of the game.

• SI Staff
Just a minor issue I noticed (pretty sure it has not been mentioned so far): the media predictions for the German Third Division are flawed.

The reserve teams of Dortmund and Stuttgart are predicted to finish 1st and 2nd. Apart from the fact that due to the rules they are not even allowed to gain promotion to the Second Division (even if they actually DID finish in the top spot), they usually battle relegation or finish in the lower half of the table, so nobody would consider them promotion candidates.

Thanks for the information, this is something that we are looking into.

• SI Staff
I thought UEFA bought in the Europa League winner in 2014/2015 qualifies for Champions League, is this in the game?

Unfortunately not enough was known about how these changes would affect the format of the competitions. As we would be guessing too much at the changes this won't be included in the current version.

• SI Staff
Just a question about financial fair play. I'm playing as Man City and the board just injected £17mil and £34mil to "allow the club to comply with financial fair play regulations". Doesn't this go against what FFP actually is? Sugar daddy owners shouldn't be able to just inject money into the club to comply with FFP, the club needs to be self sustainable.

Maybe my understanding of FFP is wrong, but some clarification would be nice.

thanks.

The owners are allowed to inject a certain amount of equity into the club as part of the FFP rules.

• SI Staff
Anyone know how I do these on the beta?

If you have a player who is eligible for a testimonial then you will get a news item about it. Then when arranging a friendly you will be able to select to count it as a Testimonial match, or you assistant will arrange one.

It is also possible for your club to be invited to take part in a testimonial for an opposition player.

The amount of clear cut chances/half chances missed in this game is really way too high. At least at low level. Seems like instead of making defense stronger (more realistic) they just made it harder to score.

Chances like this: a winger will break through, drill it in front of the goal and my striker hits it right at the gk. Sure its low level but these are chances that go in 90% of the time irl. Before this game gets great that needs to be fixed.

Yeah, I've noticed that as well. I'm playing with Liverpool, but a lot of times it seems like my players are trying to pass it into the goal instead of actually finishing or shooting. It's like they're using the "places shots" PPM but without the placing part - which just results in a weak grandma shot that the keeper easily saves.

Graphics card driver is the main one to check tbh.

i checked that it said its up too date, the match is playing fine when i watch it and hasnt crashed whilst in game, its when im on the news page that it seemsto just die and stop working...will uninstall and re-install help do you think?

Archived