Liverpool Thread 2012/13

bell

• Replies 17.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
somebody (jim boardman maybe) had a factoid last week that liverpool players are currently the captains of the england u-16, u-17, u-18 and u-20 teams. is this really true? if so, who are these kids?

Not to mention the full international team.

I didn't realise Suarez has scored 27 in 60 for us. Not bad at all for somebody who's supposedly not a great finisher.

I think the number of chances he fluffs (most created by himself admittedly) creates the perception his record is worse than it is.

yep, though his conversion rate is still pretty terrible compared to other top forwards. yes he's fantastic, yes he's scored plenty, but pretty much everything goes through him, the team at times has all been about creating chances for him and getting him the ball, so while his goal record is good you could argue his presence negatively impacts other players' goal chances. obviously that's hardly his fault, and it seems something Rodgers has been trying to deal with fairly well, but I'd still like to see him out wide with a proper striker, or at least him take more on that role with Sterling/Assaidi/whoever playing the more creative channel running roles

there is nothing wrong with a 1 in 2 rate if you look at it incredibly simplistically and out of context of the way we play. conversion rate is a better indicator because when he is taking a chance that means someone else isn't.

to expand, let's say we want 70 league goals, a good target to aim for if maybe a bit high. if Suarez plays every game and gets 1 in 2 that's 19, or 27% of the goals we need. if he is taking more than 27% of the chances we create but not getting more than 27% of the goals then it's an issue. obviously that's still quite simplistic, if his mere presence makes it easier for others to score from him dragging defenders away etc then that's an overall boost, but it just shows you can't just look at his goal rate and say it's good/bad other than on a very simplified level (which of course we do with transfer targets and the like anyway). we've all watched him week in and week out and know that his finishing has been damn poor at times, even with all the caveats of him creating most of his own chances. he's a fantastic enough player that we shouldn't need to try and argue any flaws away with a misuse of statistics.

there is nothing wrong with a 1 in 2 rate if you look at it incredibly simplistically and out of context of the way we play. conversion rate is a better indicator because when he is taking a chance that means someone else isn't.to expand, let's say we want 70 league goals, a good target to aim for if maybe a bit high. if Suarez plays every game and gets 1 in 2 that's 19, or 27% of the goals we need. if he is taking more than 27% of the chances we create but not getting more than 27% of the goals then it's an issue. obviously that's still quite simplistic, if his mere presence makes it easier for others to score from him dragging defenders away etc then that's an overall boost, but it just shows you can't just look at his goal rate and say it's good/bad other than on a very simplified level (which of course we do with transfer targets and the like anyway). we've all watched him week in and week out and know that his finishing has been damn poor at times, even with all the caveats of him creating most of his own chances. he's a fantastic enough player that we shouldn't need to try and argue any flaws away with a misuse of statistics.
I think the "everything goes through him" view isn't really true. I think other players are having plenty of chances as well and he's not hogging most of the good ones any more than other main strikers in other teams. Some Opta stats around shots per player per game would probably settle it though.

of course, that's right, but he's very much the focal point, which isn't an issue in itself, but does mean he needs to be constantly performing. when he has an off game with his shooting we struggle. it was the same with Torres albeit a lot rarer that he had an off game on his shooting (at least early on, and obviously had a better conversion rate) i know last season we had the worst conversion rate in the league and Suarez' was below the team average.

http://www.liverpool-kop.com/2012/09/liverpool-luis-suarez-conversion-rate-getting-worse.html

that's from before Norwich game, so it'll have gone up a fair bit since then

again, i'm not trying to criticise Suarez here, everyone is allowed some faults to their game, especially a player like him. but we need to look at how we can get better quality chances for him and making sure he has enough support so he doesn't need to try and shoot when he shouldnt be. think this has already happened a fair bit compared to last year, and im kinda expecting it not to be an issue by the end of the season. God I love Rodgers.

Suso saying that he rejected Real to join us when Benitez was in charge.

http://www.insidespanishfootball.com/liverpools-suso-rejected-big-money-real-madrid-move/

Today's rumours that Real are coming back in for him.

End of that interview : “I have never thought about going anywhere else. I feel comfortable here and have no intention of ever leaving.”

Which means he will sign a pre-contract agreement with Real in January.

Any thoughts for what our team will look like for tomorrow night? Thinking close to this:

Jones; McLaughlin, Carragher, Coates, Enrique/Robinson; Henderson, Shelvey; Downing, Pacheco, Assaidi; Yesil/Morgan

I didn't realise Suarez has scored 27 in 60 for us. Not bad at all for somebody who's supposedly not a great finisher.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I feel he score lots of goals in only a handful of games instead of spreading them out.

The reason Ian Wright and RvP were so good for us was because they consistently scored in many games. A goal or two every game is worth a lot more than no goals for a few games and a couple hattricks in a roll.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I feel he score lots of goals in only a handful of games instead of spreading them out.

The reason Ian Wright and RvP were so good for us was because they consistently scored in many games. A goal or two every game is worth a lot more than no goals for a few games and a couple hattricks in a roll.

http://www.lfchistory.net/Players/Player/Profile/1224 goals tab

Not sure how accurate that is but it looks right, going from memory.

Does blow your theory out of the water tho :)

i think playing our more flair players would be best tonight, players that can beat the first man. i wouldnt mind seeing sterling, assaidi and suarez upfront and maybe even suso just behind suarez. suarez is ready made for european football for me, get him isolated 1v1 against a defender and he will destroy them all night. suso looks like he's already on luis' wavelength so i wouldnt mind seeing more of him aswell even though he's in and out, more games is what he needs.

Anybody have any idea how they think we'll do tonight?

I know Udinese are struggling in the league but that obviously doesn't always tell the whole story as it's early days, and they finished third last season.

i think i said it in here, i watched their play-off v braga and they were atrocious. they were at home too but totally lost the plot for about 30 mins and i mean totally lost the plot. it was like theyd never played football before in their lives.

sure it was early in the season and theyve surely got better but i'd expect a comfortable win tonight if im honest. (famous last words notwithstanding)

just wondering where the goals are gonna come from with that line up. doesnt say much about the front 3 when our best chance for a goal looks like shelvey, i really thought rodgers would try to keep up the good form with suarez and give him 60 mins or so.

i reckon the assaidi/borini combo has potential though.

Archived