Quickfire Questions and Answers Thread (Tactic and Training Questions Only)

anyone else noticing an INSANE amount of dangerous through-balls being hit by the AI since the update? Holy jesus.

Yes, i am seeing this.

This is the biggest problem with all the tactics i have tried to create recently.

I have tried various options to defending, but the through balls persist.

Anyone know how to prevent them or at least make sure that they don't happen too often?

• Replies 17.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Through balls and passes splitting the gaps between an advancing DC and full back are a pretty common source of goals in FM14.

The most common issue is the one where a DC steps up to press a man, and this creates a pocket of space between him and his full back.

This can be mitigated to a large extent by using a DM (if the DM is there, the DC doesn't seem to feel the need to step away from his defensive line as much).

Through balls and passes splitting the gaps between an advancing DC and full back are a pretty common source of goals in FM14.

The most common issue is the one where a DC steps up to press a man, and this creates a pocket of space between him and his full back.

This can be mitigated to a large extent by using a DM (if the DM is there, the DC doesn't seem to feel the need to step away from his defensive line as much).

All of the tactics i have tried to make, have at least one DM. Some even have two.

Still getting through balls.

Maybe something wrong with the roles and/or PI's... Need to try to alter something in there to see if it helps.

Also need to pay attention to who is making the through balls.

Having a DM in place can help to mop up after a pass is made, but better still is to stop the pass being made in the first place.

I think it might be due to too attacking CM's.

I am yet to find balance...

I can make a tactic which creates a lot of scoring chances, but leaks on defence.

I can make a tactic which is solid on defence, but attacking doesn't work.

Now i need to figure out how i can do both at the same time :)

My understanding of Team Cohesion is to only use it when new players sign. Once your assistant states in his team talk feedback that the team is willing to die for each other there's no point using Team Cohesion.

I ask because my teams always seemed to play better with at least one of these selected. And things seemed to fall apart when I tried and put more reasonnable combinations (standard training + tactics). As I rarely go for the reasonnable solution, "always" can be a sad coincidence, so maybe Team Cohesion only affects MY morale :)

Will a higher fluidity encourage players to use their PPMs? I'm having lots of trouble with my star striker(7KPBHU3.png), even though he has "Likes to round keeper" and "Places shots" he usually blasts it outside of the penalty box when he's clean on goal. Very annoying.

On when certain instructions apply:

Do "Sit Narrower" and "Roam from Position" (both the PI and TI) apply both when in possession and when in not possession? I'm only asking because "Play Narrower" applies only when in possession (as I understand it).

Will a higher fluidity encourage players to use their PPMs? I'm having lots of trouble with my star striker(7KPBHU3.png), even though he has "Likes to round keeper" and "Places shots" he usually blasts it outside of the penalty box when he's clean on goal. Very annoying.

These stylistic PPMs will come into play in situations when they are among the immediate options being considered by a player, so if your striker isn't getting into the area, he's not going to consider "places shot" and "likes to round keeper." You might want to tell him to shoot less to get him to try shooting at closer range.

On when certain instructions apply:

Do "Sit Narrower" and "Roam from Position" (both the PI and TI) apply both when in possession and when in not possession? I'm only asking because "Play Narrower" applies only when in possession (as I understand it).

Both are mainly in possession instructions, but to the extent that they can pull a player further from his defensive position, they will have an indirect effect on out of possession behaviour as well (at least until the player can track back into position). Basically, more roaming and more width increases the likelihood that your attack will expose gaps for the opposition to exploit on the counter.

Yeah, this is frustrating because any tactic that doesn't have a DM basically needs to have 3 CD's, otherwise one of the CD's is bound to close down early, as if he's a stopper, and leave a huge gap for a through ball. Definitely frustrating.

Yeah, this is frustrating because any tactic that doesn't have a DM basically needs to have 3 CD's, otherwise one of the CD's is bound to close down early, as if he's a stopper, and leave a huge gap for a through ball. Definitely frustrating.

I've been trying a load of freaky stuff to try and stop it - latest effort included playing with a back two, which didn't go too badly.

In the end, I keep having to revert to the trusty 4-1-4-1.

I've been trying a load of freaky stuff to try and stop it - latest effort included playing with a back two, which didn't go too badly.

In the end, I keep having to revert to the trusty 4-1-4-1.

Yeah, this has become my favorite formation over the current save. It's brilliant.

However, going with 3 men at the back + a DM should, at least on paper, result in that CD staying back. Seen here: http://lineupbuilder.com/?sk=2ty9c

In this update, there seems to be an insane amount of balls played on the inside of the full backs that seem to just stand there whilst the winger runs round the back and gets in. What is the best way to stop this from happening? I'm not complaining too much as I seem to score from as many of these situations as I do concede, I was just wondering if anyone had found a way to prevent this...

cant seem to get my team to play fast football down the flanks and cross. worked well in the 1st half of one season then had to change to keeping possession and low temp coz i just stopped winning

now onto next season and neither tactic works well

getting really poor passing using both tactics; alot of passes under hit.

and players on flanks seem to just jog down the wing like they're constipated instead of spinting past fullback and crossing.

I cant understand why my tactics become useless after 20 games

cant seem to get my team to play fast football down the flanks and cross. worked well in the 1st half of one season then had to change to keeping possession and low temp coz i just stopped winning

now onto next season and neither tactic works well

getting really poor passing using both tactics; alot of passes under hit.

and players on flanks seem to just jog down the wing like they're constipated instead of spinting past fullback and crossing.

I cant understand why my tactics become useless after 20 games

They don't become useless, but they do need tweaking to account for changes to the way the AI sets up against you. You start off well, and about halfway in, AI teams will start adjusting to your league position, form, and reputation increasing. When that happens, you can't expect to keep winning playing the same way game after game unless your side is just so talented that nothing the opponent does can stop you.

What I would recommend is to create a thread, post up your tactic as it was when working, then some results and match stats and maybe even screenshots from when your form started to slide. This would be the most effective way for us here on the forum to help you adjust and get back to winning ways.

Is there any way to know which players are more likely to want to Tutor people? I've picked up a Resolute midfielder who refuses to tutor just about anybody for unknown reasons.

It seems to be random. I say this because I had a player refuse to tutor, but then had a crash, and when I restarted and asked about tutoring again, he accepted. There wasn't anything obvious about the player that would suggest he wouldn't tutor. It seems to be the same way with young players about accepting a tutor.

When playing high defensive line with slow defenders,does it make sense to use offside trap?

Yes, best way to offer a safety net for slow defenders and a high line.

Is there a way to find out what tactics the other team is using

because if the AI can adapt to how i play I should be able to adapt to how they play

They can't see your "instructions". They base their changes on what happens in-game - just like real life.

Is there a way to find out what tactics the other team is using

because if the AI can adapt to how i play I should be able to adapt to how they play

I don't mean to step on llama3's toes but I'll expand on what was said..

The AI cannot do anything you cannot do. It doesn't see your tactics anymore than you see there's, so it doesn't see anything except a formation and what goes on during the game on the pitch.

Here's a few hints about working out what the AI is doing..

1. watch matches in "full" highlights. I do this for at least 15 minutes per match in the beginning, and more if I need extra time to figure things out / make changes / etc.

2. never watch matches in anything faster than "comprehensive" unless you're sitting on a huge result or a pointless game etc.

3. watch AI fullbacks. Generally speaking the higher up they play, the more attacking the AI team are playing.

4. Look for an obvious playmaker/sitter relationship. For example, when playing against the 4-2-3-1 denmark you'll find the 2 CM's have a partnership where one is pretty mobile and the other is pretty static. Generally speaking the mobile player will be the playmaker and the static player is the defensive minded midfielder looking to protect the back.

5. Pay close attention to AI substitutions and formation changes. This is pretty self explanatory but, for instance, if you see the AI bring on strikers/forwards then chances are tehy're going for it. If they're bringing on defenders perhaps they're trying to hold on. It all depends though. Pay attention to players with low ratings and high levels of fatigue.

6. Try to visualize your formation against the AI's. I use "this11.com" for this, as well as other ways of drawing formations online / virtually. This allows me to play around with different tactics and shapes, and see how the pieces fit, like a puzzle.

Hope this helps.

So what are the general things that you do vs playmakers/ai subsitutions. I don't change TI's often in a game(lose fludity)and Im not sure what else I can do vs them.

I target their playmaker with tight marking and closing down always, maybe even hard tackling too, particularly if his bravery is low. If the AI throws on a more offensive player (often that goes with a formation change) I will generally look to defend more. Don't be afraid to change TI's and/or strategy in a game. shift up and down from standard to counter to control etc. all the time in match. I also alter passing, pressing, tackling etc. if the situation calls for it. The fluidity hit is minor, and dealing with the opponent effectively more than makes up for whatever minor loss you do have.

Hello!!

I just wonder in the Lower leagues when people say that you should play in the rule of K.I.S.S what does it mean?? That i should set up the tactic but not add any team instructions?? i have really hard time to get any formation to work in the LLM and would love some help to see how people thinks when tey choose team instructions etc etc for the lower league clubs..

Thanks in advice folks

It's just "Keep It Simple Stupid!"

Some people suggest that you shouldn't over elaborate with loads of Player and Team Instructions when you play at low levels.

I'm not sure how relevant that is really, but it is certainly easier to diagnose what is wrong with a tactic if it isn't overloaded with instructions.

How would I lower the amount of times my players cross in this game? Some roles allow you to lower it in PI but others don't. I've asked this because I've just grown tired of such poor crosses by my players and generally, crossing is a low percentage game anyway . I miss the sliders for such an aspect. :(

How would I lower the amount of times my players cross in this game? Some roles allow you to lower it in PI but others don't. I've asked this because I've just grown tired of such poor crosses by my players and generally, crossing is a low percentage game anyway . I miss the sliders for such an aspect. :(

Sometimes the cross aim is the problem, which can be altered in a player's individual instructions, or by choosing to float/drill crosses in team instructions. Certain roles don't let you change crossing frequency, but many do, all by player instructions - so if you can't change it, I suggest not playing with natural wingers, or, altering your aim.

Hi all. How could you copy/extract/use AI's tactic? I want to copy Manchester United's and Chelsea's tactics in my save since they win almost every match. They played 4-2-3-1 with their CMs position themselves very well. So I wonder if I can copy their instruction and use it. Anyone know how? Is it possible?

If you use a few different tactics, which have slightly different roles, how do you go about individual training?

I often have my players training for certain role, but that might not be the best approach, if the player has different roles depending on which tactic is in use?

How do you guys deal with congested schedules? Do you rest your players manually, or give them a day's rest after the game, or just let them recover on their own? I always seem to have trouble with player conditions when I play every 3/4 days (i.e. before I get kicked out of cups).

Oh, and by the way, my training looks like this: general training - balanced/low; match prep at 10%; individual focus on high; no resting days. Overall it gives me medium workload.

How do you guys deal with congested schedules? Do you rest your players manually, or give them a day's rest after the game, or just let them recover on their own? I always seem to have trouble with player conditions when I play every 3/4 days (i.e. before I get kicked out of cups).

Oh, and by the way, my training looks like this: general training - balanced/low; match prep at 10%; individual focus on high; no resting days. Overall it gives me medium workload.

After pre-season I tick the rest day after match option, and use regular rotation, and not much else. My training workloads are at very heavy, but I don't have a lot of problems. I keep a regular squad of about 18-19 players, plus I will bring in a prospect. Now and then I have to play a tired player, but I haven't had the jaded set in at any point.

My wingers in the 4-2-3-1 formation shoot most the time they're in the box, I would rather they crossed most the time because most the time a cross would be better how do I make this happen.

I dont play shoot on sight and I already play work ball into box.

After pre-season I tick the rest day after match option, and use regular rotation, and not much else. My training workloads are at very heavy, but I don't have a lot of problems. I keep a regular squad of about 18-19 players, plus I will bring in a prospect. Now and then I have to play a tired player, but I haven't had the jaded set in at any point.

I really avoid very heavy workloads. My players always seem to get long term injuries when on heavy/very heavy. Now, this just might be a subjective feeling, I haven't really tested if it's true. But I still put my players on medium, or should I say - at least on medium, and at most on medium workload.

Reading the Counter Attack 101 thread and an interesting question was raised that hopefully someone can answer...

Using counter attack, is it counter (ahem) productive to select 'More Direct' or 'Route One' as the set up of the Counter Strategy will incorporate that style of play when the counter is on?

If the counter is not on, you team will sit back and probe?

and, if they above two points are true, does that also mean that using shouts like 'Retain Possession' and 'Short Passing' are also not advised as this will also effect how and when your team go for the jugular?

Thanks

Use an image hosting site like photo bucket. Upload the image there, then copy the "forum" hyperlink it gives you here.

I don't know if it's just me, but i can't get images to work from any other hosting service than Imageshack.

From others that i tried, i just got "invalid link" error (or something like that, can't remember the exact words).