Quickfire Questions and Answers Thread (Tactic and Training Questions Only)

Guest El Payaso

Maybe you had a recent past change of staff and now your coach have better club players' knowledge or changed them know and they don't have club players knowledge and their assessment changed.

No, I signed them after they turned 25 as I needed the experience and replacements to the squad and they were available for cheap. I'm just wondering is there any point for me to keep them in the next season as it is highly likely that we reach the Premier league? My training facilities were updated in the autumn but it was a minor change and they're still only 'adequate'. All of my coaches are 4-5 star so the quality of staff should be good enough.

Does anyone know for sure?

• Replies 17.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The PA star estimation gets cut when they turn 25, but they can still develop CA-wise. See this.

This shows that when players get to their "peak age" their proggression rate is slower... when they were teenagers they progressed like 15 CA per year and when they were at their peak they progressed like 3 CA per year

Any TI's for a counter attacking tactic?..

Underdog style.

I'm currently running

4-2-3-1 Counter/rigid

TI's - Lower tempo, short passing, drill crosses, drop deeper, hassle opp, get stuck in, more discipline, narrower, stick to positions

Roles/duties:

GK - D

FBs - S

CDs - D

BWM - D

DLP - D

AP - A

DW/Ws - S

AF - A

Any TI's for a counter attacking tactic?..

Underdog style.

I'm currently running

4-2-3-1 Counter/rigid

TI's - Lower tempo, short passing, drill crosses, drop deeper, hassle opp, get stuck in, more discipline, narrower, stick to positions

Roles/duties:

GK - D

FBs - S

CDs - D

BWM - D

DLP - D

AP - A

DW/Ws - S

AF - A

You have your own thread for this.

Quick one, what do you have to do to keep up with the 'make most of set pieces' board promise? Is scoring regularly enough or do I have to also focus my preparation on (attacking) set pieces?

Anyone has an idea? Because so far five goals from set pieces (3 dfk, 1 ifk, 1 corner) in seven games plus another two goals from corners in three cup matches has been met with the board being "extremely disappointed that the club has not developed into a consistent and capable set piece threat."

What exactly do they want from me?

Anyone has an idea? Because so far five goals from set pieces (3 dfk, 1 ifk, 1 corner) in seven games plus another two goals from corners in three cup matches has been met with the board being "extremely disappointed that the club has not developed into a consistent and capable set piece threat."

What exactly do they want from me?

Changing the focus has nothing to do with it. It's the amount you score from them and it needs to be regular over the season and not in spurts or certain spells. It needs to be consistent.

It has been so far though, so why are they extremely disappointed? Do direct free kicks for some reason not count maybe?

How many games you played so far? I think corners count more towards the count from what I've seen.

How can I get my wide players to choose a diagonal pass into the box instead of always shooting from a very bad angle?

I have Inside Forward (S) on the left and Inside Forward (A) on the right. These two often to great runs and get past their man but I have never seen a short pass diagonaly backwards towards an always waiting DLF(S) and they keep throwing away massive chances by shooting into the side net or straight at the goalie. I've tried instructions as shoot less and shorter passing etc but to no avail. And both players have the PM: Look for the pass rather than the shoot.

Hello guys.

Can be a good idea to teach beat offside trap PPM to a CM(A) when your striker is in a support duty?

Not really as the CM will very rarely start that high up to make it worthwhile, regardless of how you use him.

Hi,

Justa wanted to know if one his playing with a flat 4-4-2, in a counter mentality those the shout "much higher defensive line" will mimic the defensive line of a control mentality whitout this shout?

Thanks in advance.

Finding time and again I have multiple players closing down the same player, usually after a winger plays a pass back to an oncoming midfielder or fullback, leaving a massive hole for one of there attacking players (usually the winger my players have just deserted) to waltz into acres of space to either score or assist. This is happening across a multitude of formations and tactics, and it is driving me insane. If I have opposition fullbacks ticked to be closed down in the O.I would this by having some kind of hyper effect on my idiot players?

Quick question. I am having a fortunate time with injuries at present and also doing ok so rarely rotate players. Those not in the first 11 are allocated as available for either the U21's or U18's. However even allocating them to play 90 minutes until match fit most are in the 50's/60's % for fitness. Anyone else experience this and how do you remedy it?

Quick question. I am having a fortunate time with injuries at present and also doing ok so rarely rotate players. Those not in the first 11 are allocated as available for either the U21's or U18's. However even allocating them to play 90 minutes until match fit most are in the 50's/60's % for fitness. Anyone else experience this and how do you remedy it?

I think you can only have 3 over 21 players play for the u21's so if you have lots of older players they all won't play. So you either need to rotate and use subs more to keep match fitness up or arrange friendlies for the u21's where there are no restrictions.

As for players coming back from injury the last thing you want it to allow them to play 90 mins. You should ease them back in with either 45-60 mins instead.

I've recently been training Jozy Altidore as an AMC (I play him as a Shadow Striker) with some success, he's now up to the green colour, accomplished I think?

If I now take him off this training, will his capability in this position drop off again? If so, how long does it take and what would it depend on?

Thanks. LR.

I've recently been training Jozy Altidore as an AMC (I play him as a Shadow Striker) with some success, he's now up to the green colour, accomplished I think?

If I now take him off this training, will his capability in this position drop off again? If so, how long does it take and what would it depend on?

Thanks. LR.

It should stay as long as you keep laying him at AM. If you play him in other positions then he can lose it again though so be wary.

Thanks. LR.

It all depends on his hidden versatility rating and whether you play him regularly in the newly trained position. If you keep using him as an AMC and take him off the training, it shouldn't drop. However, if you play him for a couple weeks somewhere else, depending again on the versatility attribute, it could drop that fast down to competent. I've had it happen before, which I thought was a bit silly, but yeah it can plummet rather fast for some players.

Hi,

Justa wanted to know if one his playing with a flat 4-4-2, in a counter mentality those the shout "much higher defensive line" will mimic the defensive line of a control mentality whitout this shout?

Thanks in advance.

It will increase your defensive line setting to approximately the same setting as the default for Control. You can use this as a general rule of thumb for most of the TIs. One setting higher = about one mentality setting higher for that instruction. The most notable exception is the width settings which have a more dramatic effect than you would think.

I have a stupid question, and I should probably know this having played the CM/FM games for a billion or so years, but...

What benefit does naming a Captain have on your team?

Does he give an attribute bonus on the pitch? Does picking an unsuitable candidate have any major ramifications?

I wondered the other night when half of my team announced their retirement and I realised I've just lost lots of candidates for the Captaincy. I've always blindly given it to the person who has the best mix of personality, Determination and Influence/Leadership. But why?

which is the most recommended situation when developing a young player?

- loan him out to get first team match experience on a lower league in a club with average training facilities

- mantain in your youth squad playing youth matches and using excellent training facilities and coaches

which is the most recommended situation when developing a young player?

- loan him out to get first team match experience on a lower league in a club with average training facilities

- mantain in your youth squad playing youth matches and using excellent training facilities and coaches

Keeping him at your club is most beneficial, because you also then have control over PPM development and tutoring.

I think you can only have 3 over 21 players play for the u21's so if you have lots of older players they all won't play. So you either need to rotate and use subs more to keep match fitness up or arrange friendlies for the u21's where there are no restrictions.

As for players coming back from injury the last thing you want it to allow them to play 90 mins. You should ease them back in with either 45-60 mins instead.

Yep already do that with the injured players. Good thinking re the restrictions as I have never really taken much notice since Reserve Squads became defunct which was rather annoying as you could always keep your squad fully fit before. Is there a way of getting the Assistant to arrange friendlies for the U21's?

Does anyone have any tips on dealing with the attacking midfielder in a 4-1-2-1-2 narrow diamond when playing with the 4-2-3-1Denmark? In two saves I've played against Lyon it seems that no matter how I set up my two central midfielders, he wanders around doing whatever he pleases. I've used a selection of opposition instructions and even specific man marking but to no avail, he continually finds himself in acres of space. I don't believe I should have to change formation to deal with this, but I'm running out of options.

It will increase your defensive line setting to approximately the same setting as the default for Control. You can use this as a general rule of thumb for most of the TIs. One setting higher = about one mentality setting higher for that instruction. The most notable exception is the width settings which have a more dramatic effect than you would think.

Tanks, that was i were tinking.

I didnt knew about The narrow shout.

I have a team of attacking players who have very poor decision making attributes. I know it's written on here somewhere but I can't for the life of me find it - is it possible to train decisions (and if so which training category)

Also, as they are regens, is there something I should be looking for in my backroom staff that can influence their decision making?

Thanks in advance.

Yep already do that with the injured players. Good thinking re the restrictions as I have never really taken much notice since Reserve Squads became defunct which was rather annoying as you could always keep your squad fully fit before. Is there a way of getting the Assistant to arrange friendlies for the U21's?

They do arrange friendlies, but not often enough. So just arrange your own.

Does anyone have any tips on dealing with the attacking midfielder in a 4-1-2-1-2 narrow diamond when playing with the 4-2-3-1Denmark? In two saves I've played against Lyon it seems that no matter how I set up my two central midfielders, he wanders around doing whatever he pleases. I've used a selection of opposition instructions and even specific man marking but to no avail, he continually finds himself in acres of space. I don't believe I should have to change formation to deal with this, but I'm running out of options.

Tip is to switch formation. Otherwise, pressing high and narrow can restrict his space, and might bring him close enough that your CD's deal with him like a 2nd forward. Probably better to switch shape. Even a 2DM variant could help.

I have a team of attacking players who have very poor decision making attributes. I know it's written on here somewhere but I can't for the life of me find it - is it possible to train decisions (and if so which training category)

Also, as they are regens, is there something I should be looking for in my backroom staff that can influence their decision making?

Thanks in advance.

Train "tactics" of general training & no, respectively.

Tip is to switch formation. Otherwise, pressing high and narrow can restrict his space, and might bring him close enough that your CD's deal with him like a 2nd forward. Probably better to switch shape. Even a 2DM variant could help.

I tried some hard pressing in the next friendly vs Riverplate who play with a 3-4-1-2 and it made a big difference, giving the enganche little time on the ball and we ran out comfortable winners. Played the Mighty Reds in a pre-season friendly at The Lane next game and Rodgers is using a 3-4-1-2 as well for some reason, and we reverted to 4-1-2-1-2 and got pulverized on the flanks by Stirling and Henderson, while Coutinho ran the show from that enganche position and we scraped a 1-1 draw. Lost limply at The Liberty Stadium in the season opener, again playing the diamond versus Paul Lambert's 4-3-3. We were controlling things until the Scot started focusing play down the flanks after about 25mins and we were at the mercy of the mercurial, the magnificent, erm, Roland Lamah????

On a bit of a winning run now, largely due to more in depth study of opposition manager tactics and squad strengths, as well as taking into account the bookmaker odds for the match to determine how we set out. Having to play 4 matches between Monday and the following Tuesday in September however has me casting accusatory glances towards the S.I developers as my squad is now absolutely shattered!!! :D

One of the in-game tips says the instruction "get the ball forward" will urge my players to move the ball to players in more advanced positions.

Where do I find this instruction?

In FM13. :D

"Get Ball Forward" has been replaced by the "Play More Direct"/"Go Route One" instructions.

Thanks in advance.

Besides doing what llama2 said for the long term... you could use a very rigid style tactic with less creative freedom team instruction for now... this way you can have more control of these players' decisions.

7 games in the league, 3 in the cup. so 5 in 7 in the league if you count dfk's and 2 in 3 in the cup. It does look to me that the direct free kicks might not count because otherwise it makes no sense.

Just to conclude this, I'm now entirely sure that this stuff is quite simply broken. Finished the season top in every set piece category (most goals from corners, direct free kicks, indirect free kicks, penalties) yet the board confidence for 'goals from set pieces' is 0%. Will post a bug report.

You can use FM Genie Scout to search for those - but it could show you players you have no knowledge of and it shoves CA and PA of players in your face, unless you remove columns for them.

Shaqiri could curl the ball in my game.

Hi guy, please help. My players suddenly lose their... sharpness??? I don't know what it's called exactly but their passes are weaks (don't reach the destination, even if dry ground and short distance) and their shots are very inaccurate. I think it should be training problems so I put my players on Attacking schedule and Attacking Movement preparation but still nothing change.

Hi guy, please help. My players suddenly lose their... sharpness??? I don't know what it's called exactly but their passes are weaks (don't reach the destination, even if dry ground and short distance) and their shots are very inaccurate. I think it should be training problems so I put my players on Attacking schedule and Attacking Movement preparation but still nothing change.

Could be tiredness, motivation & confidence, tactical issues - can you give some more information so we can help you please?

A stupid question about tactical familiarity arising from my 'PASS' thread...

I've been doing this as well, mostly successfully. However one thing I've only just noticed (during my 3rd-last game of the season) is that a lot of the most common instructions I want to use - but are not part of my base tactic(s) - lower tactical familiarity during a game; and, presumably, are making it less effective than it should be. For example, 'Hassle Opponents' has my 'closing down' familiarity at minimum; 'short passing' is medium familiarity, even switching to control with no changes in team instruction affects tempo and width familiarities.

I suppose this should have been obvious, but I didn't notice it :(.

Now... I could use my other two tactic slots to address this - a 'counter/lower tempo/short passing' style, and a 'control/quicker/hassle' style.

Would familiarity with individual instructions apply, even if I didn't switch to the alternative tactic as a whole?

Would familiarity with mentality/instructions apply, even if the alternative tactic is also a different formation?

So... Let's say my base tactic is a 433/Standard/Very Fluid, with Play Out of Defence and Pass Into Space selected (which it is; currently it also has 'Retain Possession', but I'm thinking of dropping that).

I want to be able to use the following 'sets' of instructions, more or less together -

'attack' - Control mentality, hassle opponents, quicker tempo, maybe push higher.

'patient' - might be anything from 'counter' to 'control' mentality, might hassle or stand off, lower tempo, retain possession, short passing, work ball into box.

But let's say I might also want to be able to use a 442 diamond, or a 352 of sorts.

If I use my three tactics as 1) 433-base mentality and instructions, 2) 442D attack - control mentality and instruction set, 3) 352 - patient counter mentality and intruction set...

Will I be fully familiar with any combination of those shapes, mentalities and instructions?

redmark, you can train all these 3 tactics to be fully fluid, but at least some instructions influence multiple "bars", so you can't just change some instructions without losing familiarity. I think formations and fluidity levels can be fully fluid if you change to them and have them trained, with other things it's more of a matter of luck - e.g. in one of my tactics I can lower the tempo and still have every bar at fluid. Only formation, mentality, fluidity, 4 top passing options, play wider/narrower, everything in defending except offside trap and 4 tempo instructions influence tactical familiarity, in my experience.

I tried some hard pressing in the next friendly vs Riverplate who play with a 3-4-1-2 and it made a big difference, giving the enganche little time on the ball and we ran out comfortable winners. Played the Mighty Reds in a pre-season friendly at The Lane next game and Rodgers is using a 3-4-1-2 as well for some reason, and we reverted to 4-1-2-1-2 and got pulverized on the flanks by Stirling and Henderson, while Coutinho ran the show from that enganche position and we scraped a 1-1 draw. Lost limply at The Liberty Stadium in the season opener, again playing the diamond versus Paul Lambert's 4-3-3. We were controlling things until the Scot started focusing play down the flanks after about 25mins and we were at the mercy of the mercurial, the magnificent, erm, Roland Lamah????

On a bit of a winning run now, largely due to more in depth study of opposition manager tactics and squad strengths, as well as taking into account the bookmaker odds for the match to determine how we set out. Having to play 4 matches between Monday and the following Tuesday in September however has me casting accusatory glances towards the S.I developers as my squad is now absolutely shattered!!! :D

Play wider and exploit the flanks, force weaker foot on opp fb's. That should greatly reduce narrow formation's effectiveness as it did for me!