Quickfire Questions and Answers Thread (Tactic and Training Questions Only)

1 hour ago, geordiekris said:

Quick question on tutoring. If I have a youngster with a professional personality and wanted to raise his ambition also for making things easier to reach his potential. If I then tutored him with a senior player with an ambitious personality would that then reduce the youngsters professional rating to the level of the senior player?

If the tutor's professionalism is lower, yes it will reduce the tutee's rating in that attribute. Depending on how much lower and how successful the tutoring period, it may or may not drop all the way to the level of the tutor.

• Replies 17.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

58 minutes ago, messinho said:

I'm not happy with my tactics and I am looking for a way to improve it. I would like you to mainly advised me to choose roles for central midfielders and a lone-striker :) 

tactic.png

1) You are playing in Control

If you did not know, Control is an offensive high risk mentality. So your players will not try to "Control" the ball with possession but "Control" the game pressing a lot, getting the ball forward a lot, etc. 

2) Your three forward players #11, #20 and #31 are in an attacking duty.

If you are with a Control (offensive, attacking) mentality it isn't necessary to make your top 3 players attacking too, they will attack by inertia, by momentum. And if they are with an attacking duty they will be too far from the midfield and you need, you want, you wish to have one or two players who links the midfield with the attack. So one, two or even three support duties in the forwards line will be good. If I were you, I will choose a support duty for #31 so he keeps wide and make space to #10 to exploit. The fullbacks with attacking duties are ok in my opinion because in football is very important the presence of vertical fullbacks.

3) The roles in the midfield are ok in my opinion. Maybe, if you want to play out of defense, you will want to make your CD a deep playmaker so the defense can find a brain quickly.

23 hours ago, messinho said:

I'm not happy with my tactics and I am looking for a way to improve it. I would like you to mainly advised me to choose roles for central midfielders and a lone-striker :) 

tactic.png

I don't agree with bosque.  Not saying he's wrong, just don't agree.  Control isn't THAT attacking.  Your tactic can work.  But having said that, do your front 4 players annoy you by being too quick to make a high risk pass forward when a safer sideways pass is a better option?  When I see this I change attacking to support.

can you be specific what the problem is?  The weakness I see is that your central midfield is like Swiss cheese when the other team is attacking at pace.  The AP (A) will obviously be far upfield most of the time.  The BBM could be anywhere.  And the anchor is too far back.  The other team will normally have a lot of time and space to get organized in their attacks through the middle.

As counterintuitive as it sounds, I think your defense will be better if the anchor man was a DLP (d).  I think you'd get more of what you want.

What role is similar in movement to a CFs, I'm managing a Championship club and I have a decent CFs already but difficult to attract such players to us. Need strong back up.

I thought about a DLFs but he seems to stray away from the penalty box too much in comparison. I play an SS behind the CFs and having a bit of success but I don't think I could accommodate an AF alongside a SS, or could I?

If you fielded a 4231 what roles would you give to your main striker and the guy behind?

1 hour ago, bamb00zle said:

If you fielded a 4231 what roles would you give to your main striker and the guy behind?

I'm kind of a horses for courses guy.  If you have a target man that can work.  But I think CF is the best role, generally.

As for the player behind him, I'm in the 12th season of my current save, and it's almost always been an AP.  (Usually A but sometimes S.  I adjust based on the spacing.)  It's not easy to find the right player but when you do he can drive your whole team's attack in a very positive way.

But slightly over a season ago, there was a 23 year old starter for Germany.  He'd started most of the time for Bayern the season before when they won the CL.  As I said, he starts for Germany.  So he's a great, great player.  For some unknown reason, he was out of contract until a week before the free transfer deadline!  So I signed him.

I tried him in various roles, and he became world class as an AP at AMR.  Which made an AP at AMC a waste.  Now my AMC is an AM usually, sometimes a shadow striker.

Here's my point...with my outlook on the game, I prefer an attacking playmaker at AMC.  I look for that "right player" very hard, and the right player simplifies the roles of everyone around him.  That, in turn, makes it easier to find the right players to play around him.  But in my opinion you have to be flexible based on your players.  My world class player was merely very good at AMC (AP) but he's literally world class at AMR (AP.)  Just made the world best XI.  So I changed.

I have had a ton of success with a DLP (D) as one of my 2.  When I changed from (S) to (D) my defense became noticeably better and my attack stayed the same.

PS...I've tried an F9 in front of a shadow striker.  Not much, but a few times.  That combination seems really feast or famine.  That may be because it's really effective against one kind of defending but very poor against another.  Or it may be something that will sort itself if I play it another 6-8 times.

Just wondering if anyone knows what attributes are beneficial for players scoring headers in the penalty area?  Reason I ask is that I have got Simone Zaza banging in the headers beautifully and see him getting across defenders really well in the area.  Same thing with Enner Valencia, which is a little strange because he is quite short.  However although he has scored one I can't get Andy Carroll firing on the headers front at all, which isn't a surprise in FM, but obviously tactically the chances are there because Zaza is doing it regularly!

Wondering if agility and acceleration are better stats for getting free in the area and maybe Carroll's low anticipation doesn't help?  Carroll clearly wins on the heading, jumping and strength attributes and yet as I say Zaza is scoring more headers?

carroll v zaza.jpg

6 minutes ago, Sussex Hammer said:

Just wondering if anyone knows what attributes are beneficial for players scoring headers in the penalty area?  Reason I ask is that I have got Simone Zaza banging in the headers beautifully and see him getting across defenders really well in the area.  Same thing with Enner Valencia, which is a little strange because he is quite short.  However although he has scored one I can't get Andy Carroll firing on the headers front at all, which isn't a surprise in FM, but obviously tactically the chances are there because Zaza is doing it regularly!

Wondering if agility and acceleration are better stats for getting free in the area and maybe Carroll's low anticipation doesn't help?  Carroll clearly wins on the heading, jumping and strength attributes and yet as I say Zaza is scoring more headers?

carroll v zaza.jpg

Have a quick check of my reply to you in the West Ham thread.

14 hours ago, Sussex Hammer said:

carroll v zaza.jpg

I'm not a big football manager guru, but from what I see, it makes perfect sense that Zaza will score more headers. 

It is true that Carroll beats Zara in heading, jumping, and height, but Zaza beats him in nearly everything else:

He's got MUCH better speed, anticipation and off the ball movement, therefore he's much better at losing his defenders and getting into dangerous positions. Edit: I think that his higher flair also helps for unpredictable movement but I'm not sure.

Once he's got into these dangerous positions, he's got better finishing, technique (not sure if that one affects headers), composure and concentration, therefore he is more likely to convert those scoring chances to goals. So when the winger crosses that ball into the box, Carroll will have a harder time losing his defenders and getting into dangerous positions, and will score less headers even though he has better heading, jumping and height. 

Edited by Rummy

I'd prioritize head scorer attributes this way;

For Forwards: Anticipation, Off The Ball, Heading, Agillity, Bravery, Balance, Jumping Reach

For Central Defenders: Balance, Jumping Reach, Heading, Bravery, Anticipation

To understand this you can just play with mediocre European Teams. Because when you play with this kinda teams you will be able rotate between players with some good/bad sides and compare the different results varying their qualifications.

Most people think tall players with good jumping reach and heading will score at least 4-5 head goals a season but most of the time what you need is a mix of some attributes.

1 hour ago, OhHoopedOne said:

I asked in this thread a few hours ago about why positions have built-in roles but the post was removed. I don't know why this was the case as this is a relevant question in the correct thread

Nope- if you check your post history then the question you asked was in the "ask SI" thread- the thread where you were asked not to post again, hence the removal.

6 minutes ago, messinho said:

Explain to me how it is possible that "pass into space" is not conflicted with the "play out of defense"?

Pass into space is like the "e" button in old fifa games. It just makes the players pass to the running direction of the player etc. The only difference while installing an attack from defence is that when you use "pass into space" Neuer sends the ball in front of Hummel, not to his feet. Or Hummels passes the ball in front of Alaba not directly to his feet. That's why these ywo are different things actually.

It's me again :)A few days ago I asked you for help with tactics. I'm working on it, but the main problems are with lone-striker. He scores little goals and I feel that it is out of the game (too deep). I have a few ideas to change the situation, but I do not know if they are good

1. Set team shape - change from flexible to fluid

2. Change role of lone-striker - DLF ( from support to attack)

3. Change lone-striker to advanced forward and AMR to winger instead IF. 

tactica.png

results.png

taccca.png

Edited by messinho
Added results

2 hours ago, messinho said:

It's me again :)A few days ago I asked you for help with tactics. I'm working on it, but the main problems are with lone-striker. He scores little goals and I feel that it is out of the game (too deep). I have a few ideas to change the situation, but I do not know if they are good

tactica.png

results.png

taccca.png

All the stuff you wrote might work, I think the best way to check this is by actually making those changes each one at a time and seeing their effects (view the match on full highlights mode) . 

You can also try changing the role of the Attacking Advanced Playmaker to an Attacking Cm, maybe this will help closing the gap between the midfield and attack and giving your striker more passing options. 

Or maybe change the striker's role to Complete Forward on Support

2 hours ago, messinho said:

tactica.png

results.png

taccca.png

For me it doesn't make much sense to use a W-A along a DLF-S, the main purpose of using a Winger is to cross ball to a player in the box, a DLF-S will drop deep and so he will not be in the box, so the W-A will cross to anyone. 

4 hours ago, A.Pierfrancesco said:

For me it doesn't make much sense to use a W-A along a DLF-S, the main purpose of using a Winger is to cross ball to a player in the box, a DLF-S will drop deep and so he will not be in the box, so the W-A will cross to anyone. 

Now, the only goal that I score fall after a cross from the left winger. You propose to change the AML to  IF?

1 hour ago, messinho said:

Now, the only goal that I score fall after a cross from the left winger. You propose to change the AML to  IF?

No, it depends on how do you want to play. With an IF you will have less cross from your AML/AMR manly because the IF tend to drift inside in the final third, in this case they will be helped from the DFL-S who will come deep and create space fro the IF to exploit. Here the width will be given by your fullbacks, but I repeat, it depends on how you want to play.

Hi I've been playing FM for a long time, but the last 3/4 FM's decided to try make my own tactics as don't feel like i am successful at the game as it is not my work it is someone else's, although am not very good. 

I had a save with Liverpool and finished 4th first season and won the league cup but had awful runs of form, in season 2 i just fell apart and didn't know what to do so took some time to re read stuff on here, watch some videos and try understand stuff a bit more.

I carried on with the save reloading matches a few times to try and figure out why stuff was happening etc and i would like to think i understand the tactical side a bit better to start a new save and try stuff out, although think i still have along way to go.

Here is my tactic 

db25bfab4021da654402f501cfcc8627.png

Some matches i may use a standard mentality and fluid/structured shape, not always necessarily together The only TI's i use are prevent short GK distribution when i tend to play with a high line and play out of defence when i use a standard mentality or above.

Am i right in thinking play out of defence is not suited to counter/defensive mentality with that i am sitting deeper and likely to face more pressure from opposition and i need to make quick counters ?

I would only play counter for e.g if i had a really tough away match. Also i may change the BWM(D) to a CM(D) if i had a tough away match - Does that make sense ?

My thinking is he wont be closing down as much so wont leave too much space for opposition to exploit, but on the other side less closing down gives the opposition more time to decide what to do.

The only PI's i use are for the fullbacks which i seen from a video from bust the net with both set to fewer risky passes and dribble less.

Guess what i would like to know is does anyone spot any obvious flaws in my tactic? and if i was to set just one tactic up would it make it more harder to get full familiarity if for eg i keep changing between standard/control-flexible/fluid etc during pre season, or do i need to set up say 3 of the same tactic all with different mentality/shape settings ?

Also i read that you should have an idea of how you want to play, so after watching my team for a bit on the 3D version of the match engine my thinking is..........

*FB's - To support my winger and inside forward, but also to not over commit and leave big holes at the back that's why i have chosen support duties and have the PI's.

*CD's - Just standard don't want them doing anything fancy just stop the opposition win the ball, headers etc.

*BWM(D) - I know from reading posts not many seem to fancy BWM in a 2 CM formation, but i use it when i play with a standard/control mentality/higher D line as he seems to win the ball a lot and can also protect the defence.

*CM(S) - With me having a ball winning midfielder already who closes down a lot i decided to use a central mid support, who can help both defence and attack although i would like to watch this position a bit more and see if i need to change the position or the PI's.

*W(A) - Mainly due to having Mane, but also to stretch the opposition and get crosses in for my striker if am facing a 4-2-1-3 etc. 

*IF(S) -  Due to having Coutinho i thought this position would be best suited and also having him approaching the opposition defence a different way to Mane.

*AM(S) - Chose this role due to the description saying the attacking midfielder is willing to help out with the defence as i only have a 2 man midfield, plus with him sitting in the hole and not in the box will this leave enough space for the inside forward to cut inside?

*CF(A) - This role fits my strikers best and can get on to the end of the balls from mane or can hold the ball up for my attacking midfielder or inside forward.

So that's my thinking it could be awful and not make any sense at all i could totally not have a clue, i would just like some advice (please be nice :D)

If there is anything i need to add or explain more please let me know 

Also its taken me a long time to do a post like this because i know it most probably sounds stupid but asking for advice i feel like am cheating and if i win its not me that's winning, but i suppose if i don't understand something then i need to ask for help, thanks again for any replies. :thup:

Edited by lfc7

I didn't use the play out of defence TI with my current defensive mentality tactic. I feel that with a defensive mentality, players are already cautious with their passes so there is probably no need for that TI. All my defenders still average around 70-80% passing rate. I did use a DLP(S) in the CM strata, maybe that helps as well as defenders are likely to pass the ball to him instead of pumping it long.

Edited by vasilli07

11 hours ago, vasilli07 said:

I didn't use the play out of defence TI with my current defensive mentality tactic. I feel that with a defensive mentality, players are already cautious with their passes so there is probably no need for that TI. All my defenders still average around 70-80% passing rate. I did use a DLP(S) in the CM strata, maybe that helps as well as defenders are likely to pass the ball to him instead of pumping it long.

Thanks

10 hours ago, BadAss88 said:

I was wondering if you have a clear view of what you want your players to do, do you give them a (very) structured team-shape? Although they are good creative players and you also want them to be creative? Or go for (very) fluid.. 

I start off every game with flexible and may switch to fluid/structured during the match

2 hours ago, BadAss88 said:

Depending on what?

Hi the post got moved to its own thread on main page. It depends I suppose on how the game is going. 

Correct me if am wrong but from what I read shape I.e fluid = compact and structured = wider when in possession of the ball 

I've seen many posts about this in last few years but I just want to learn the current situation.

For example; I'm managing Barcelona, Chelsea or Manchester City with a great Youth academy and great youth coaches...

So is it possible to buy a normal 16-17 year old player with low PA from a club, but effect his PA with the quality of Academy, Training and coaches?

I mean I don't play with top class clubs but are we able to change a player's "so called destiny" by the power of club's traning, youth and coaches? Or is it just this oldschool PA thing?

It would be so nice to upgrade a low profile club's youth possibilites to make it a good young player factory... By the way I'm not talking about regens etc. I just want to is it possible to change the fixed PA of young or normal player by using clubs training and coaching possibilities?

32 minutes ago, sipsi said:

I've seen many posts about this in last few years but I just want to learn the current situation.

For example; I'm managing Barcelona, Chelsea or Manchester City with a great Youth academy and great youth coaches...

So is it possible to buy a normal 16-17 year old player with low PA from a club, but effect his PA with the quality of Academy, Training and coaches?

I mean I don't play with top class clubs but are we able to change a player's "so called destiny" by the power of club's traning, youth and coaches? Or is it just this oldschool PA thing?

It would be so nice to upgrade a low profile club's youth possibilites to make it a good young player factory... By the way I'm not talking about regens etc. I just want to is it possible to change the fixed PA of young or normal player by using clubs training and coaching possibilities?

PA cannot be increased by any method in the game.

7 hours ago, bosque said:

What thread can I read to understand what things I need to look during a match in order to understand what is going on and find mistakes in my tactic?

Pretty much anything written by Cleon or Rashidi.  Check the Guides sticky at the top of the forum.

I have two questions:

first: Is it possible to buy a player with very good personality and bad attributes to be a tutor for a youngster?

second: How to counter very fluid aggressive teams that is attacking you?

I have a question about training camps.

In my current Arsenal save the board plans a training camp starting the 23rd of June (give or take, i reloaded since it is way too soon). How come my board plans a training camp 2 weeks before i actually start with the pre-season? The players dont even get a month off.

This also happened in fm 16 in my Arsenal save. Every season.

I dont mind the camp at all, but why does my board plan it 10 days to 2 weeks too soon? Any way to change this? I dont want my season to start with players complaining they didnt get enough rest after the season.

12 minutes ago, piojo7 said:

In my current Arsenal save the board plans a training camp starting the 23rd of June (give or take, i reloaded since it is way too soon). How come my board plans a training camp 2 weeks before i actually start with the pre-season? The players dont even get a month off.

I dont mind the camp at all, but why does my board plan it 10 days to 2 weeks too soon? Any way to change this? I dont want my season to start with players complaining they didnt get enough rest after the season.

Happened also to me. End of the season (30 May) I scheduled the pre-season to 15 July ,and after some days ( first days of June) the board decided the training camp at the end of June

2 hours ago, ultrAslan said:

I have two questions:

first: Is it possible to buy a player with very good personality and bad attributes to be a tutor for a youngster?

second: How to counter very fluid aggressive teams that is attacking you?

1)  Yes, so long as they meet all the criteria for being a tutor and have high Determination.

2) Many different ways which will be affected by your own set up, quality and strength of opposition.  Keeping disciplined, dropping deep and hitting them with counter attacks is one method, although there is no guaranteed method to work in all situations.

9 minutes ago, piojo7 said:

You may be better off asking that question in the General Discussion forum.  I realise this is the Tactics and Training forum, however that question is more related to game setup and mechanics than actual training strategies.

I tend to ignore such complaints unless any player has one of those "Rst" symbols next to them meaning they are in need of a rest, in which case I'll given them a week off from training.  They soon get over it.

2 minutes ago, roggiotis said:

Happened also to me. End of the season (30 May) I scheduled the pre-season to 15 July ,and after some days ( first days of June) the board decided the training camp at the end of June

9 minutes ago, herne79 said:

You may be better off asking that question in the General Discussion forum.  I realise this is the Tactics and Training forum, however that question is more related to game setup and mechanics than actual training strategies.

I tend to ignore such complaints unless any player has one of those "Rst" symbols next to them meaning they are in need of a rest, in which case I'll given them a week off from training.  They soon get over it.

Ok, I made a topic in general discussion. Thanks for pointing the way.

I did the same in fm 16, but it's really annoying and seems wrong. I shouldn't have to ignore their complaints. The camp should be planned during the pre-season I determined and not in the middle of the holiday of the players.

I'm playing with 3 CBS set up as:

CB-D    CB-C    CB-D

I'm not sure which of the roles best suits my slowest CB.

I think I'm right in saying the important stats for a Cover-CB compared to Defend-CB are Anticipation, Positioning and Acceleration.

My choices at CB have the following in each of those stats:

Anticipation     Positioning      Acceleration

#1         14                     14                      8               (Best Defender Overall)

#2         12                     12                      11

#3         13                     14                      12

#4         14                     14                      11            (Worst Defender Overall)

Any idea on who I should place where? Defender #1 is quite a bit better than the other 3, who are roughly equal to each other.

22 hours ago, bosque said:

What thread can I read to understand what things I need to look during a match in order to understand what is going on and find mistakes in my tactic?

Sometimes I think the high level tactics in the game nowadays is almost too much, you can get intimidated by the number of things to think about.

Before a match, I make a few adjustments to my tactics based on the opponent, home vs. away, stuff like that.  Most of the time, I have a question or two.  So those are the things I look for during the match.

Here's an example.  I've found that against lone strikers, man marking those whose movement is fairly simple works well, but man marking lone strikers who go from sideline to sideline, or come deep, weakens your defense.  So against lone strikers, I look at the player's most favored role and set up my defense accordingly.  But I watch the match to see how that striker moves.  If I'm wrong, then I change into or out of man marking.

Here's another one.  When teams sit back and defend and try to spring a counter, I've found that I need to increase my closing down.  I make a guess as to how the other team will play, but watch and see and make sure I'm right.

In other words, for me, it works best if I keep it simple.  In your tactic, what are the opposition variables that affect YOU?  If it's overlapping fullbacks, watch for that.  If it's Route One, watch for that.

16 hours ago, liamc92 said:

I'm playing with 3 CBS set up as:

CB-D    CB-C    CB-D

I'm not sure which of the roles best suits my slowest CB.

I think I'm right in saying the important stats for a Cover-CB compared to Defend-CB are Anticipation, Positioning and Acceleration.

My choices at CB have the following in each of those stats:

Anticipation     Positioning      Acceleration

#1         14                     14                      8               (Best Defender Overall)

#2         12                     12                      11

#3         13                     14                      12

#4         14                     14                      11            (Worst Defender Overall)

Any idea on who I should place where? Defender #1 is quite a bit better than the other 3, who are roughly equal to each other.

Im using: CD-X, BPD-C, CD-X.

My outer CB's are more mobile. I value acceleration, agility and pace to be able to deal with winger type players, they don't need to equal them just enough so they don't get turned inside out or bursted past.  Whilst my central defender does step up to engage if no one else is in position to do so, he doesn't have to deal with players running at him at speed like the outer ones do.  I still value him having decent pace so doesn't get left for dead in a foot race to get balls over the top.

Edited by summatsupeer

Just a few questions........

I only want to use one tactic but if i switch between standard/control, flexible/structured etc through pre season will it effect tactic familiarity ? or do i need to create the same tactic a few times but with different mentality/shape ?

Will changing roles often effect it aswell ?

I've played FMC for so long i now find i can't get team talks right now I've changed back to playing the full version, any general advice regarding them ?

Thanks in advance :thup:

3 hours ago, Keyzer Soze said:

unlearning ppm

So i've set two player from my team to unlearn the ppm to run with the ball often.

After one season and a half they still haven't unlearn it. Is this normal?

I'm playing the FMT version in a Ipad.

Maybe because his dribbling is good? How about his teamwork? I noticed some players are reluctant to unlearn their ppm because they are good at it or unwilling to sacrifice because their teamwork is low.