A Message On Football Manager 2012 Activation

And why wasn't this decision announced along with the release date? PR maybe? To dupe people into ordering the game whilst withholding essential information that might put them off? And lets be thinking beyond the internet for a change.

Well even if it wasn't to dupe them it makes it seem that way.

This could have been handled so much betetr with consultation, information available very early, etc.

Yet again activation has raised its head and SI/Sega can't get it right and the reasoning from SI in particular has been at times quite worrying that they have this much disdain for people and the Community that has got this game whee it is today.

No problem with people making profits but not at the expense of the customer because they may have the customer base now but believe me it won't last if this is how they treat people.

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It was removed!!!!.......................wonder why!

Very interesting because as I have said before I know alot of tech people who have very very interesting thoughts on Steam and their conduct and the info they use on you but haven't divulged the details!

Seems you ave been more brave so well done!

Incredible conspiracy theories ITT. You should check out the 9/11 thread in OFT.

• SI Staff
That's what he said. So (correct me if I'm wrong, Miles) the issue then became which system available worked best and was the least obtrusive to the customer.

Correct.

Just a thought why not ditch steam and activation as well as protection and charge £10 for a download version of the game, i'm sure people would gladly pay £10 for an original version of the game.

No costs for protection, no costs regards steam and no manufacturing cost for retail edition!

That was tried by one of our competitors, where you could "pay what you want", with a minimum of £2.51. They no longer release PC games, which I think speaks very loudly.

Enough with the analogies, you can get your locks from more than one place, and if you lose your keys there are plenty of locksmiths to choose from.

This decision leaves us with a 'Hobson's choice'. :mad:

Actually, I was told by the insurer that I chose to use that I could only get locks from one company. So to get insurance from that company, I only had one choice.

But you miss the point entirely - if society was honest, I wouldn't need the locks, or insurance, in the first place. If society was honest, we wouldn't need to have copy protection on our software. But it isn't. So we do.

I'll continue to read this thread, but I won't be posting again because, as predicted by others, it's just the same arguments going round and round, with the same people making them. I'll leave SEGA to answer the other points.

As I've already stated, I'm very disappointed that some of you are saying you won't be playing the game this year because you don't want to use Steam. That is, of course, your choice as a consumer, and one we have to live with based on the decisions made.

I know but I think SI and SEGA would have more purchases whit this method than any

Basic business economics. At what price does product A get sold at to make back expenses plus additional in relation to volume sold. If the average FM game is £30, do you really think that 4x the number of buyers will buy the game if it is £10? (3 times to have income equally what it was at £30). I highly doubt it.

Mmmm yeah you use the word interesting a lot but haven't actually provided us with a single interesting fact that your interesting tech friends have interestingly told you, which strikes me as rather interesting in an interesting sort of way.

Mmmm yeah you use the word interesting a lot but haven't actually provided us with a single interesting fact that your interesting tech friends have interestingly told you, which strikes me as rather interesting in an interesting sort of way.

There is a host of info out there on the privacy concerns, the database they have, and their terms and conditions..............I can't afford to be sued either so rather than be a **** use your intelligence and try to find out the interesting bits yourself.

I am giving my opinion based on my knowledge or frinds knowledge, if you think it is false no probs, if you doubt it then research it.

Not sure if this have been covered before amongst all the boring repetitive moaning, but if we have to activate through steam will we only be able to do that on release day itself? So will those who get in through the post the wed/thurs have to wait till the Friday?

Not a biggie was just wondering, oh and for the record, had steam for 4/5 years and have no problem whatsoever, PC gaming would be in a much worse state without it

You're a legend Miles. Thank you very much for that response, made my day hearing that it will be available over here in Korea, have been worried all weekend! Will just have to keep on at Sega about the details of it.

Thanks a lot, keep up the good work.

Iv just been sick

When people decided that they would much rather misread what is said to continue this thread?

What precisely did I misread?

Because, simply, there isn't a system out there that was available for us to use that would offer the protection needed, and not be obtrusive to the customer.

Do you think I didn't notice the deliberate wording? It was pure spin.

Just a bit of a general warning, please refrain from petty bickering and trolling in this thread. People obviously have strong opinions on this matter (which is understandable) but there is absolutely no need to get to the point where people are getting abusive towards each other.

Not sure if this have been covered before amongst all the boring repetitive moaning, but if we have to activate through steam will we only be able to do that on release day itself? So will those who get in through the post the wed/thurs have to wait till the Friday?

Not a biggie was just wondering, oh and for the record, had steam for 4/5 years and have no problem whatsoever, PC gaming would be in a much worse state without it

Yeah thats the case, you wont be able to activate it until it is avaliable on steam.

This thread is just going around in circles & if I'm honest is no longer serving any positive purpose.

We've had what everyone was calling for, a response/post from Miles, all that remains is for Sega to clear up the unknown aspect of activating the game in countries that do not allow FM to be sold, I see no point in an endless for or against argument on the merits of Steam.

For those that do not want to use Steam (I am one of that group BTW) then we need to accept that SI/Sega are not going to change their decision, this might change in the long to medium term but having a pop is not going to result in what we would consider a positive outcome. The same obviously applies to those who are happy to use Steam, it serves no purpose to question why I & others do not wish to use this option, granted some reasons do seem to be a little crackpot but there are people who do have genuine reasons for not wishing to use Steam.

What precisely did I misread?

Do you think I didn't notice the deliberate wording? It was pure spin.

Whether you think it was deliberate or not, the wording is clue. They could not find one system which wouldn't put us customers out of joint at least somewhat. He didn't say that Steam is an ideal solution or that it isn't obtrusive, only that everything else that was an option was also obtrusive.

This thread is just going around in circles & if I'm honest is no longer serving any positive purpose.

We've had what everyone was calling for, a response/post from Miles, all that remains is for Sega to clear up the unknown aspect of activating the game in countries that do not allow FM to be sold, I see no point in an endless for or against argument on the merits of Steam.

For those that do not want to use Steam (I am one of that group BTW) then we need to accept that SI/Sega are not going to change their decision, this might change in the long to medium term but having a pop is not going to result in what we would consider a positive outcome. The same obviously applies to those who are happy to use Steam, it serves no purpose to question why I & others do not wish to use this option, granted some reason do seem to be a little crackpot but there are people who do have genuine reasons for not wishing to use Steam.

well said, this could go on for another 18 pages without any change to the opinion of people from either sides, or from SI and SEGA. The bickering is pointless and will only end up with more bans and infractions, from people arguing both for and against. Lets accept this has happened, and see what happens from here onwards.

Will need to wait. You can enter the key code in Steam prior to release to get the game added to your account, but it will not unlock to be played until release day.

Someone asked about whether we can resell FM2012 hard copy after they have finished with the game. Can the game be deactived on Steam so the hard copy can then be sold? I know you can gift games of steam to people, not sure if this is true on used games or just newly purchased unistalled games.
No you can't sell the game on.

You can only gift newly purchase uninstalled games. The receiving person can also choose to pass the gift on as long as they don't open/install it.

As I will not be able to unstall the game via steam to resale...

So I presume when purchasing a hard copy of the game will include a licence agreement that states the copy of the licenced software is not resalable after use?

Or will I be able to create a new account on Steam to install the game and include the details of the account with the game on resale?

Although I do not resale my old games so this doesnt effect me personaly.

Whether you think it was deliberate or not, the wording is clue. They could not find one system which wouldn't put us customers out of joint at least somewhat. He didn't say that Steam is an ideal solution or that it isn't obtrusive, only that everything else that was an option was also obtrusive.
Because, simply, there isn't a system out there that was available for us to use that would offer the protection needed, and not be obtrusive to the customer.
:rolleyes:

I have a question I hope will be answered by a Moderator.

The original thread I opened, which had it's title changed to "Poll On Steam Activation", was closed at 2AM saturday morning by Neil Brock (SI). Can you please tell me when a thread was last closed by an SI employee? (prior to the aforementioned)

And what percentage of all threads closed have been done so by SI employees and not Moderators?

Cheers

xxx

This is that thread: http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/274804-Poll-on-Steam-activation

I have a question I hope will be answered by a Moderator.

The original thread I opened, which had it's title changed to "Poll On Steam Activation", was closed at 2AM saturday morning by Neil Brock (SI). Can you please tell me when a thread was last closed by an SI employee? (prior to the aforementioned)

And what percentage of all threads closed have been done so by SI employees and not Moderators?

Cheers

xxx

This is that thread: http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/274804-Poll-on-Steam-activation

Neil Brock is also responsible for the forums in general, he's basically the head moderator.

I can assure people that steam is safe and works well, I too had concerns when first installing and using it however I did and purchased fm11 through this method, My concern is for the sales of Fm12, The mathematics don't add up, People who have internet which is us lot who already buy the game will most likely still buy it, I do think even those sales will drop slightly has alot of people here have said they refuse to buy due to needing steam to play it, Fair enough that, But what about the the people who buy the game at their local game shop and who don't have net ? They can no longer buy and play the forthcoming releases, That's what I can't add up, Not many if any people will say "Ok because I need steam to play my game I will defo buy it" Infact from this thread alone we can see that will be opposite, I can only conclude that figures will drop drastically which will have devastating effect on money and thus on further developments on future releases.

Basic business economics. At what price does product A get sold at to make back expenses plus additional in relation to volume sold. If the average FM game is £30, do you really think that 4x the number of buyers will buy the game if it is £10? (3 times to have income equally what it was at £30). I highly doubt it.

I don't think 30 is the number for back exp. more like 15 or 20 the rest is for SI and SEGA

So let me just simplify what's been said from official sources then, because this is honestly what I've seen from my perspective;

Those who opt out of Steam can't play Football Manager, which matters according to Miles, but not really, as we're such a small minority that it will hurt SI less financially than the imagined loss they would make if the game was released outside of Steam.

Good to know.

Brocky is basically head mod (as well as other stuff) - he does a lot of moderation on here along with the rest of us.

There's no significance in him choosing to close that thread.

Neil Brock is also responsible for the forums in general, he's basically the head moderator.

Thanks, I didn't know. That will teach me to engage better logic in future. (Moderators aren't SI employees - therefore, SI employees aren't moderators, simplified.) :o

Just downloaded and set up Steam, and I have to say it was a rather painless experience :) I like the idea of a friends list, especially if you can see your friends and text them while you are both on FM??

I do have another question though...... when the demo comes out, will it only be available through Steam as well?

Steve

abit off topic but do mods do this in their own spare time then?

For the most part. Da Fudge is an exception though, he doesn't have spare time.

There's no such statistics, but as the others said, Neil Brock is pretty much a mod anyway. It's not exactly rare for any SI employee to close a thread though.

where does that time come from?

i dont think my mrs would think to much of me if i sat at my comp, reading what a load of strangers are writing/moaning about

It comes from not watching Eastenders!

I will be pre-ordering it through steam. I certainly hope that mac version of the game will work properly this year. Last year I had to delete several files prior to each time started the game (skin cache) otherwise it wouldn't load. I was impressed by steam up to that point.

On another point, the amount of mac games available on steam is awful, unless you want to play a farm or traffic management sim!

Digital distribution! Wave of the future! Love it!

I agree, but that's not really the main concern of the thread - the main concern is that the distribution system needs to stay active even after the distribution has been made. If it was only a matter of having to activate once through Steam, and then you could uninstall it and never deal with it again, I doubt many would have an issue with it.

But Steam is like getting a delivery of books, and every time you want to read them, the postman has to stand next to you.

I will likely be preordering through Steam, same as last year. Digital distribution! Wave of the future! Love it!

(SI, if you want to make the game available solely through Steam, I wouldn't mind. Just a thought for next year!)

How ignorant! Im not impressed

By the way, to just comment on some of the pro-Steam arguments from Miles;

1. An insurance company exists because of thieves. Sports Interactive doesn't exist because of pirates, they exist because of us, the consumers paying for the game (and therefore for the development of it). We should be rewarded, not punished.

2. I don't have to start my graphics drivers or DirectX every time I want to play FM. Steam adds startup time and extra resources on top of Football Manager. My Steam usually takes about 40-60 seconds to start, connect and idle.

I've tried Steam before, unfortunately it DO NOT WORK ON MAC. For me it was a waste of money and time. I hope Sega/SI give more options for 2013, like Mac App Store (and future Windows App Store). I'll keep playing FM2011 for another year and I hope all those people complaining about Steam do the same. The only way Sega/SI can change their mind is if this year sales is affected. Boycott!!!!!!

I've used steam for Football Manager for both FM10 and FM11 (and about 100 other games)

It has its good points and bad points

Lets get the bad out of the way first:

1) It's partly the reason why you cant go to a game store and find any PC games on the shelves

2) Competition in pc game retail is pretty much nil as Steam has for the most part vacuumed it all up

3) Digital delivery doesnt actually save you any money at all, in fact they like to charge £40 for Football Manager when its not on sale (it is up at £29.99 at the moment, get it while you can if you are getting it directly from steam)

4) If you have a large collection on steam you feel obliged to purchase your games from there as it is a convenient way to manage your games libary, however this means that you are likely to miss out on pre order bonuses from purchasing the game from other routes (such as EA who seem to think that their Origin delivery system isnt rubbish)

5) If you have a slow pc I can see how it would impact your enjoyment of the game in having to have steam run in the background

6) support is pretty crap

The Good

1) No need to wait on the postman to deliver your game, or hope that its in stock in the stores it will be available on the release date.

2) You can genereally pre load most games, and this means you can get playing it more quickly

3) No cd to worry about

4) If your system is relatively modern you should not notice the additional load from having steam running on your system

5) You can get some pretty awesome prices for games when they are having a big sale.

6) There is an offline mode you know, that still lets you play your games

7) magic auto patch, no longer have to go patch mirror hunting for your games

Personally I like steam due to its convenience, I think there is a risk to the industry that it will have a monopoly on game delivery for the pc market, but not quite yet as there are still a few alternatives and traditional game stores are starting to get their act together around electronic delivery, although I think at this point it will be expensive for them to encourage gamers with large game catalogues already on steam to switch services.

As I will not be able to unstall the game via steam to resale...

So I presume when purchasing a hard copy of the game will include a licence agreement that states the copy of the licenced software is not resalable after use?

Or will I be able to create a new account on Steam to install the game and include the details of the account with the game on resale?

Although I do not resale my old games so this doesnt effect me personaly.

Huney Munster, Just finished reading everything from Miles' post and have seen that no-one answer this question. Hard copies are linked to a Steam account once activated, if for instance you activated a game then decided to sell it on you would have to give that person your details in order for them to play the game. They cannot create an account in their name and use your activation code.

Archived