A Message On Football Manager 2012 Activation

2. I don't have to start my graphics drivers or DirectX every time I want to play FM. Steam adds startup time and extra resources on top of Football Manager. My Steam usually takes about 40-60 seconds to start, connect and idle.

Nevertheless they do start up and do take time to do so, and you don't have to boot Steam it starts automatically too, the only difference is that you see it.

If I boot Steam on it's own it loads in 3 seconds, if I boot FM (without Steam already running it takes 55 seconds to fully load. If I boot Steam and then boot FM, FM takes 35 seconds (plus the 3 for Steam)

That's a really weird anomoly:D

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
In what way does it not work properly? I didn't even notice any problems with the Beta.

I installed Steam to play Cities in Motion but it was annoying unstable, crashing and freezing often on a 2 yo iMac Snow Leopard. Bought the game again from Direct2drive and now it works 100%. It's a resources draining software, I won't have it on my computer again, even if that means I won't be playing any new version of FM.

I installed Steam to play Cities in Motion but it was annoying unstable, crashing and freezing often on a 2 yo iMac Snow Leopard. Bought the game again from Direct2drive and now it works 100%. It's a resources draining software, I won't have it on my computer again, even if that means I won't be playing any new version of FM.
How long ago was this?

I have a similarly aged same OS MacBook pro and when steam initially came out for it I would agree. But they've since released a number updates which have made it a lot more stable. For me at least, it's at just as stable as the PC version now.

I haven't had any problems with Steam and I've bought Football Manager on it for the last couple of years.

I have a question though. Every year a buy a copy of Football Manager and send it to my brother who lives in Germany. Will he have problems registering with Steam and playing Football Manager as I believe Football Manager is not sold in Germany?

If, as I suspect, this act by you negates my brother's chances of playing this game again (a game that I have been buying twice for the last 10 years on release day as to support SI and their hard work) then I'm saying goodbye to this game. I so want to use some expletives now to discribe adequately exactly how betrayed I feel!

I haven't had any problems with Steam and I've bought Football Manager on it for the last couple of years.

I have a question though. Every year a buy a copy of Football Manager and send it to my brother who lives in Germany. Will he have problems registering with Steam and playing Football Manager as I believe Football Manager is not sold in Germany?

If, as I suspect, this act by you negates my brother's chances of playing this game again (a game that I have been buying twice for the last 10 years on release day as to support SI and their hard work) then I'm saying goodbye to this game. I so want to use some expletives now to discribe adequately exactly how betrayed I feel!

Miles has said he'll get this clarified by Sega, there's a significant user base in Germany (forces etc) so I'd be surprised if they don't have a solution, if indeed there's actually a problem.

Each year we give you an update on the status of copy protection and activation of Football Manager and the decisions taken as we know it’s a hot topic for many of you, although for many others it’s not really an issue at all.

As you may remember, last year we decided against any activation as we couldn't find a solution that we thought struck a balance on combatting piracy and not penalising the genuine consumer. We did make our position on anti-piracy pretty clear though, we see it as a big problem for our game and we said we'd continue to look for a solution that stopped, or made it very difficult to pirate the game and play it for free.

This year we have found what we believe is an acceptable solution. Any version of Football Manager 2012 bought on disc will have to be activated through the Steam network, so therefore purchasers will have to have an internet connection for initial activation. This is a one-time only activation which requires you to sign up for a Steam account (which is free) and to install the Steam client and once it has been done the game can be played offline by turning on Steam's Offline mode. With those two simple steps done there are no more hoops to jump through or steps to take.

We appreciate that the vast majority of people reading this post on the forums are genuine consumers of the game, and that having to activate is not as simple as putting the game in the drive and playing. However we hope that, as a fan of the game, you feel that having to do a one-time activation is worth it to try to prevent others playing the game for free and stealing what you purchase with no punishment, and with no contribution toward the future of Football Manager and it's development. Make no mistake, if a quarter of the people that usually pirate the game switch to purchasing Football Manager 2012, the sales of the game worldwide would more than double. This would lead to increased development budgets and more benefits for all of you who do buy the game.

We've taken this decision because we believe that the steps the consumer has to take are not excessive, and that as a one-time only measure with no tracking or reporting it is not too intrusive. Having worked with Steam for a few years now we also believe that their system is ever improving and gives Football Manager players a good service of free auto-updating, achievements and other great benefits without cost or hassle.

We hope you understand and support the decision. It's by no means taken lightly, although I hope for the vast majority of you it's nowhere near as big an issue as we treat it as being.

In summary:

• You need to connect to the internet to activate Football Manager 2012 on PC and Mac before you start playing it

• To activate you will need to sign up to, and install the Steam client

• Once you have activated Football Manager 2012 you can then play it in Steam's "offline mode" - meaning you do not have to be connected to the internet to play

• Saved games are stored locally on your machine, but you can play Football Manager on any machine by signing into Steam and selecting it from your purchased games

• Staying connected to Steam will mean Football Manager 2012 is automatically updated with any patches or data updates released

Id like to calrify a point you make in this post with regards to a "one time activation"

if it is a "ONE time activation" why am i being told that i have to keep steam on my system after activation?

surely if i activate my game, you / sega/ steam know it is therefore not a pirate?

do you think after paying for the game im then going to decide i want to play a pirate version?

if every time i start the game steam has to make sure my game is activated then it is surely not a "ONE time activation" but "ONE time EVERY time you start the game?"

(My previous question still hasnt been answered by the way SI!, you want to provide good customer care, so i dont want to use steam, what care are you providing me with?)

does activating it through steam mean i wont be able to sell it on. i sell my old games as well as dvd/blu ray and electicals to cex which then give me a voucher to use on other stuff sold in cex i buy 80-90% of my games dvd electical equipment from cex its a fantastic company i doubt ill buy it if this is the case!!!!!!

I'm seriously disappointed that you choose to force us using steam... I really recommend you to reconsider your decision.

For now, as a long time CM/FM player, I am thinking about cancelling my purchase if steam stays the only registering system.

I do understand some of us have no problem with steam, but I remember having difficulties letting with steam on my previous computer, and never wanted to use it anymore. I really like Football Manager, but I CAN'T understand I should install what I consider a useless (In my case) program in order to play a great game.

So PLEASE, let the steam system for those who want to register FM2012 by that system, BUT let us choose to register the game by whatever other system you want.

Id like to calrify a point you make in this post with regards to a "one time activation"

if it is a "ONE time activation" why am i being told that i have to keep steam on my system after activation?

surely if i activate my game, you / sega/ steam know it is therefore not a pirate?

do you think after paying for the game im then going to decide i want to play a pirate version?

if every time i start the game steam has to make sure my game is activated then it is surely not a "ONE time activation" but "ONE time EVERY time you start the game?"

(My previous question still hasnt been answered by the way SI!, you want to provide good customer care, so i dont want to use steam, what care are you providing me with?)

yeah, this leaves me a bit confuse also.

I dont have any problem do download steam, install it, in order to activate my game. But why do i need to leave it on my PC after that? It's activate, so why does Steam need to be load everytime i want to play the game? I know i wont notice... but still, why is the method built like this?

I really think that we, paying users, should have the choice to delete steam after the activation.

This is the only point of the whole process that i dont like.

Well, if we think about, i know the answer already. Steam needs clients, and with this method they will get hundreds of new clients, with steam installed... and if for each 100, 1 new client buy a game... it's profit! Just a shame, that in order for us to play FM, we are forced down our throats with steam.

I really think that even the guys from SI and Sega will agree that it would be a much "cleaner" process if we were given the option to delete steam after the activation!

Reading this thread just makes you wonder what the people who don't have internet connections would post? I think a lot of them would look like this: :confused: and then a minute or two later: :mad:

Just thought maybe someone somewhere is thinking "phew" right this second for them not being here due to obvious reasons...

I would suggest if we really REALLY want to protest we should either

a/ not buy on release day (would be great but unlikely to happen)

b/ coordinate 1 day when none of us access the SI Games site as a protest.

I like the 2nd idea but fear it would be a waste of time. More importantly it seems quite a lot of members see no problem with this Steam activation (something that surprises and disappoints me as it casts those that cannot activate online into the FM abyss - not nice!).

I guess we will wait until 21st Oct and see what happens but if I have problems with Steam I fear FM12 will be my last title purchase. I could forever play FM11 if I had to without too many regrets under the circumstances. CM was effectively killed by bad corporate decisions, there could be a lesson to learn there.

For those saying that Steam is the best thing ever;

I currently have time for the first time in a week to play Deus Ex. Try to launch; This game is currently unavailable. Super. No updates are waiting to be downloaded, it just won't start. Even in offline mode, the same error comes back.

If this happens once, it's too much. Unfortunately, it happens too often.

Thanks for that. Shame I keep getting 'Steam servers are too busy to handle your request' pop up. Ho-hum.

Yeah...it doesnt seem to work at the moment for me as well. Wanted to play some game and yet again it fails. This forum is going to be fun on release day :)

Steam won't let me play any games, but has plenty of times to give me pop ups about the latest game release.

Such a ****** piece of crapware sometimes. Shocking that a company wants to make it the only way to play their game. Absolutely shocking. Seems to do this to me at least once a week, and always when I have specifically set aside time to play a game.

Steam won't let me play any games, but has plenty of times to give me pop ups about the latest game release.

Such a ****** piece of crapware sometimes. Shocking that a company wants to make it the only way to play their game. Absolutely shocking. Seems to do this to me at least once a week, and always when I have specifically set aside time to play a game.

I don't believe its right that SI are forcing people to use steam to play FM 12 but I have never had a single issue with Steam in regard to the numerous games I have on there and I've been using it for years.

I don't believe its right that SI are forcing people to use steam to play FM 12 but I have never had a single issue with Steam in regardless to the numerous games I have on there and I've been using it for years.

Tells me every game in my library is unavailable at the moment. Has been like that the past 15 minutes. This happens to me about once every week or fortnight for a period of about 2 months, and then won't happen for ages again.

My internet connection is working fine, I've tried launching in offline mode, Deus Ex doesn't need to update, Steam can load adverts fine...so I don't know what's happening. Maybe the servers are too busy, but that's pretty poor for a Sunday evening.

Steam currently working for me - but then I've been logged in most of the day so maybe it's the log-in server that's being a problem?

Nope I'm logged in fine, but I go to install Portal and it refuses to do it :mad: If this is going to do this with FM12 as routinely as Wakers says, there's going to be a lot of peed off people.

Thanks, Kriss. Goog to know it's been looked at.

At least, I can calm down now a bit. I've only just seen this activation thing today and I was shocked!

Just a small hint - activate the game on you brother's steam account (change Germany to your country before that in his account) prior to sending the disc over. This will solve the problem even is sega won't help you officially.

Cheers,

Ivan

So, if I understand well, we are forced to use a program which can sometimes prevent us from playing a game we buy ??? Really not good... Will FM2012 be the worst sell of the FM serie, just because of an "only steam activation" choice ?

Fortunately, there's still one complete month before the launch date...

I won't be buying this game if Steam is the only way to activate and therefore play the game. Firstly, Steam is poor. Secondly, on principal being forced to use it offends me as I feel the choice should be mine. I don't care how many benefits Steam has, or how much steam sales patter I hear from SEGA staff, this is a terrible decision.

I would be interested in seeing how many people who are against Steam being all for a genuine ONE TIME ACTIVATION. I've been very vocal about my dislike for Steam for a couple of reasons...

1. I'm being forced into not only downloading something i don't want but also....

2. Being forced to keep it AFTER i have activated my game.

I would be all for a true one time activation. But this clearly isn't as if we really are only activating this game once then once it has been activated i have no more use for it.

Be honest Si, Miles, Sega.... The only reason that the whole "Activate/Delete." isn't an option is because Steam must have rangled a grubby little stipulation into the deal saying "Ok we'll do the online activation, but write something into the game that say's they have to keep Steam after activation, no reason why we can't try and make a little more money from them." Hell i wouldn't like hearing it but i could sit here and respect the honesty if nothing else if you were to just admit to that at least.

Explain to me why we have to keep Steam after activation? Explain to me the reason for Steam being written into the game at such a level that it won't function without it even after we activated it after purchasing it through legal means?

I'm willing to bet at least 90% of those against Steam would be willing to use it, activate the game and then delete it. I wouldn't have a problem with that at all.

So, i ask once again. Why has FM12 been written in a way that i have to keep Steam after activation?

In relation to this we're pretty proud of our level of support so hopefully if people do have issues with Steam we can certainly try and help out. Also people can easily turn off 'auto-updates' for FM and Steam via the preferences.

I like Steam Neil and have no problem with the decision but there is an issue with Steam and turning off auto updates, basically they don't turn off permantly it seems and if you do have to re-install for any reason it will always re-install the latest version. This was a problem for me with Farcry 2 as their last patch basically broke something in the game and there's no way of going back. However this won't be a problem for people with FM as you guys won't allow a serious issue to not be patched like UbiSoft did.

But it's certainly a valid concern for people regarding Steam and auto-updates but as I say for FM that won't be a problem as far as I can see.

I would be interested in seeing how many people who are against Steam being all for a genuine ONE TIME ACTIVATION. I've been very vocal about my dislike for Steam for a couple of reasons...

1. I'm being forced into not only downloading something i don't want but also....

I would be all for a true one time activation. But this clearly isn't as if we really are only activating this game once then once it has been activated i have no more use for it.

Be honest Si, Miles, Sega.... The only reason that the whole "Activate/Delete." isn't an option is because Steam must have rangled a grubby little stipulation into the deal saying "Ok we'll do the online activation, but write something into the game that say's they have to keep Steam after activation, no reason why we can't try and make a little more money from them." Hell i wouldn't like hearing it but i could sit here and respect the honesty if nothing else if you were to just admit to that at least.

Explain to me why we have to keep Steam after activation? Explain to me the reason for Steam being written into the game at such a level that it won't function without it even after we activated it after purchasing it through legal means?

I'm willing to bet at least 90% of those against Steam would be willing to use it, activate the game and then delete it. I wouldn't have a problem with that at all.

So, i ask once again. Why has FM12 been written in a way that i have to keep Steam after activation?

:applause: Spot on. 101010

I'd still be annoyed at having to use a 3rd party application, but I wouldn't have as much of a problem with it as I do with being forced to use it. Personally, I quite liked the Uniloc way, server overload aside.

It does if you are in "Online" mode as far as I know.

I have used steam for years for a lot of games, Farcry 2, Fallout 3, FM, Civ 5 and others and never have I been forced to quit a game because of Steam, nor has steam ever been the cause of a crash of any of the games I've ever played.

I'd still be annoyed at having to use a 3rd party application, but I wouldn't have as much of a problem with it as I do with being forced to use it. Personally, I quite liked the Uniloc way, server overload aside.

I can totally understand that, as i said i believe 90% of people would be for the whole Activate/Delete option. 10% would be against Steam and i fully understand why and wouldn't act as high and mighty as to assume that they are just being stubborn for the sake of being stubborn. I'd still be disappointed at having to use Steam once but if i was 100% assured that it would be ONCE and ONCE ONLY i would make a compromise.

Now if myself and other's are willing to make a compromise and purchase the game for a 100% true to form ONE TIME ACTIVATION then Si need to act to ensure that is the case.

Compromise is a two way street, we'll do our part Si by buying the game and activating. Is it so much to ask that you do your part by removing the need for Steam after activation?

(P.S. by ONE TIME ACTIVATION i mean that once it's activated i can remove Steam totally and just run it from the disc.)

but as I say for FM that won't be a problem as far as I can see.

That may be the case, unless of course you have a stationary computer and unluckily don't have internet connection. I could add that one could live on the 5th floor and the nearest internet connection is accross town, but that might be a little far fetched because imagine you get to the final destination and the servers are a little too busy for you at that moment...

SI must have thought this through and business-wise it must make sense according to their marketing team. That means that the vast majority of sales must be from people that have internet connections (stats don't lie, right?), because if it is really due to the piracy aspect then they wouldn't want to appear as if they are trying to swat a mosquito with a tank. The statistics must be on their side or it would be a little suicidal (business-wise)...

Still unavailable. Not worth seeing when it comes back now.

Very poor. If it can't handle a random Sunday evening, then its got no chance when FM is released. Unless of course, this is a one off technical glitch (of which they have quite a few from my experience).

I can totally understand that, as i said i believe 90% of people would be for the whole Activate/Delete option. 10% would be against Steam and i fully understand why and wouldn't act as high and mighty as to assume that they are just being stubborn for the sake of being stubborn. I'd still be disappointed at having to use Steam once but if i was 100% assured that it would be ONCE and ONCE ONLY i would make a compromise.

Now if myself and other's are willing to make a compromise and purchase the game for a 100% true to form ONE TIME ACTIVATION then Si need to act to ensure that is the case.

Compromise is a two way street, we'll do our part Si by buying the game and activating. Is it so much to ask that you do your part by removing the need for Steam after activation?

(P.S. by ONE TIME ACTIVATION i mean that once it's activated i can remove Steam totally and just run it from the disc.)

agree completely. If I could be able to activate and then delete steam forever I would most definitely accept this. And then it would really be a "one time activation". I'm under no illusion though, it's not going to happen. Steam would never let it happen.

People are getting a bit confused has Miles said earlier SEGA came to them with options on activation, and SI and SEGA discussed each option, (unfourtunatly we haven't been told the other options) and after the discussions even though like Miles has said, he and others may not have like doing this but it was going to happen one way or the other and they felt that this was the best way. If SI turned around to SEGA and said no we are not doing this, I think SEGA has being the funders of SI would most probably started cutting back on budgets that SI has available or SEGA would have introduce an activation system where everytime we would want to play FM we would have to go to a website and entre a code everytime.

I am not please with having to keep Steam on my computer and I will be peed off when Steam servers are down and it stops me playing FM12 but hay I'll play FM11 until they are back up and running, but it is better than having to manually log into a website and entre the code everytime.

I know people are not going to agree with this because of strong feeling against Steam but to me my feelings for FM out way that.

agree completely. If I could be able to activate and then delete steam forever I would most definitely accept this. And then it would really be a "one time activation". I'm under no illusion though, it's not going to happen. Steam would never let it happen.

Exactly! I believe Si got to a point where they needed this online validation for piracy prevention reasons and with time running out they took the first deal that came along. Steam knowing this set the terms as such and in the process we get screwed.

Archived