Liverpool Thread 2011/12

Rafalution

• Replies 13.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It isnt my decision, but I would much prefer SOS not to be the link if they are as unprofessional and myopic as that letter suggests.

As for your last point, I can only rubbish things that arent right to begin with. You tried to state that FSG bought the club on the cheap - not strictly true. You also did have a tone that was very critical of the idea of enhancing revenue streams, which is just downright odd. Regardless of whether they do it for long term or short term gains, being in a position to earn more money can only benefit the club. It is not a case of the club losing out just because they owners may not want to have the club for the next 50 years. Myopic to the maximum.

Obviously it isn't a bad thing that they want to improve our revenue.

It was on the cheap in my opinion, they obviously saw how poor our previous owners had been at explioiting up and coming markets and generating sponsorship money, knew they could improve it and knew they could therefore increase the value of theclub relatively easily.

As I said regarding SOS the people talk and a lot do support them so people who don't like it just don't join and ignore their actions because their numbers are growing also.

Well it's not your decision as to whether they should be representative of the fans, its the entire fan base. Over 10,000 members and a reach of over 50,000 on social media sites suggests that a good chunk of our fans do want them to be our voice.

10,000 members is absolutely nothing. We have millions of fans across the world. Pretty sure if anything its the opposite. All SOS is are a bunch of top scouse who think they deserve more than other fans. The reality is they deserve nothing but contempt. Even if a lot of them mean well, they're everything that is wrong with our support.

What the hell are they trying to achieve with the letter? Do they expect FSG to just say "oh, ok lads, here's a list of everyone we're interested in for every vacancy at the club. Here's their phone numbers and addresses. Oh, and while you're at it, why don't you all tag along to the next board meeting in a couple of days time?" It just doesn't work like that. No good club gives away that sort of information, as much out of respect for other clubs and people they're dealing with than anything else. They should just bide their time, bite their ****ing lips and let the people concerned have the time they need to make the best decision they can possibly make. Not try to influence it with biased, loaded rubbish and put pressure on FSG to bow to their demands. At the end of the day they know better than a load of high and mighty, insular Liverpudlians.

Obviously it isn't a bad thing that they want to improve our revenue.

It was on the cheap in my opinion, they obviously saw how poor our previous owners had been at explioiting up and coming markets and generating sponsorship money, knew they could improve it and knew they could therefore increase the value of theclub relatively easily.

As I said regarding SOS the people talk and a lot do support them so people who don't like it just don't join and ignore their actions because their numbers are growing also.

Again, youre portraying your middle point as if its a negative and im still not able to work out why youre doing so? Even if you are vehemently committed to the idea that they bought the club on the cheap, why does that matter and why does that relate to their interest in wanting to increase revenue streams? More to the point, whys it negative?

On your last point, are you meaning SOS numbers are growing? To about 10,000 "entitled" homegrown scousers? A small fraction of our massive worldwide support?

Haha, followers on twitter and facebook count these days? Whether they do or dont, they arent part of the organisation so wouldnt get a vote nor a say in its running.

With regards to the branches, which branch is the top dog? It wouldnt be the original Liverpool one would it? Also, were they set up by members in these places who wanted to join or were they set up by persons already in the organisation who felt they needed to branch out? Either way I would suspect it would be a similar level of thinker. Away from that, its still only 10,000 out of however many that support the club. Its really not that many.

I'll say to you both look at their branches it's far from a group of 'Top Scousers'. Also over 50,000 follow them on social media, maybe they just don't want to pay the tenner.

My friend's blog has 20,000 over hits a day... I better turn her into a top scouser

Dear Mr Werner, Mr Henry and Mr Ayre

We are writing to you as we are concerned about the current situation that our football club finds itself in. It is a time of worry for supporters, not just because of the huge changes and the transformation that is happening in such a short time frame but the manner in which it is happening.

to summarise, we don't know what's going on and we don't like it

It may be that yourselves and the board of Liverpool Football Club have a vision you are working towards. It may be that you have implemented a strategy to deliver that vision and decisions are being made to work towards this. However, from the outside where supporters find themselves once again, it looks like a football club in disarray. Confusion and chaos seems to reign and no one is coming out of this with much credit, particularly the football club’s image and brand.

even though we've already said we don't know what's going on, we're going to make an assumption based on absolutely nothing that we know your job better than you do.

you'll also note the irony of talking about the loss of credibility and credit in a letter as condescending and sanctimonious as this.

We need clear and pro-active communication, a confident message about the club’s plans that breeds confidence amongst supporters that we are moving in the right direction. Instead, we have silence and a lack of information or understanding on decisions being made.

did you get that we're not happy we're not in on the discussions? you see, we ARE liverpool football club and it's a disgrace that you haven't talked to us about your deliberations up to the minute.

Today we find ourselves with key positions at the football club vacant. Most notably, the position of Manager and the lack of a footballing man on the board. There has been much speculation, along with emails sent to supporters groups, on who is providing advice to yourselves. It may well be the case that this is speculation; however, it is understandable that there is speculation given the lack of clarity and information on who is deciding on matters, why and the timing of them.

having just sacked them, we don't understand why these positions weren't immediately filled by the first letter writing fans to come along. also, please actually waste the time we're already accusing you of wasting by responding to twitter speculation because that is where your focus should be right now.

We have seen both Damien Comolli and Kenny Dalglish removed from their positions, and the search for replacements is still ongoing. We do know that conversations have been held with individuals mentioned in today's rumours about the football staff and those who have held these positions.

Mr Ayre has said today:

"I can tell you categorically that Alan Kayll and Paul Tompkins have had no input on the manager or anything else for that matter. I've seen a lot of that stuff being suggested and it's nonsense."

This is encouraging as it is the firm belief of Spirit Of Shankly that footballing decisions should be made by footballing men who are appropriately qualified. We know all too well of the mistakes that follow if this simple mantra is not adhered to.

except for us, obviously. because we want in on it and we think we're totally qualified. so footballing men and their belligerent, presuming footballing fans should make the decisions.

Are suitably qualified individuals making these decisions?

Today, Ian Ayre gave an interview, talking about the removal of Kenny Dalglish as manager, in which he stated that “Winning the FA Cup wouldn’t have made any difference – it was never about an individual result. It was always about taking a review of the season in full."

As supporters, we have always believed in the quote from Bill Shankly that “Liverpool Football club exists not to make money, it exists to win trophies and be a source of pride for its supporters. It serves no other purpose.”.

To supporters, this is of massive importance. We know that success in football requires money. However, the quote from Ian Ayre would lead us to believe that our focus is no longer on winning trophies but making money. In a season that has seen us end with one trophy out of the three available and narrowly miss out on a second, it is somewhat disrespectful to suggest to supporters that winning another trophy would not be good enough. It is also contradictory to what Ian Ayre himself said earlier in the month: “Anyone who was at the Carling Cup final or the semi-final against Everton will tell you that’s what being a Liverpool fan is all about. It might not have the biggest prize money or the biggest status, but it’s fantastic. You go to watch a football team every week because you want them to be successful and win things. John and Tom will be there on Saturday. That’s why you buy sports teams – to watch them compete for trophies”. Ian Ayre, May 2012.

here's where we'll undermine whatever sense of duty you may feel to us by demonstrating that we can fabricate the most feeble strawmen imaginable. having just spent £100m on players, we feel like you are placing too much emphasis on profit. again, no evidence or real direct quotes here. and for the purposes of this section of this letter only, we'll pretend that the only achieveables in football are domestic cup trophies and profit. not anything like FREAKING LEAGUE POSITION AND CL QUALIFICATION.

Is it now the strategy of Liverpool FC to place greater importance upon generating revenues above winning trophies?

deeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeerp

Today, communication and leadership is vital. As supporters we have seen all too clearly what a lack of communication from absentee owners leads to. There has been very limited dialogue through the Supporters Committee which is still in its infancy, but this has been mainly used by the club to get messages out, rather than the dialogue promised with supporters at the time of your takeover. At a time when a clear message is needed, it is somewhat embarrassing for supporters and the football club to see Twitter messages on who supporters think should be the next manager. We are Liverpool FC. We are better than that.

just in case you missed it before, we wanted to reiterate again that we should be consulted on this. also, we lack reading comprehension and basic logic skills by treating a simple interest generating question for actual consultancy. you know, the way you'd want your partners in this to make wildly ignorant assumptions. we also live in a land where phones, teleconferencing, airplanes, fax machines, and skype do not exist so if we haven't seen you at the burger king at the lime street station we're just going to assume you are not as fully interested in your 9-figure investment as we are.

Ultimately, supporters remain in the dark once again about the plans for this football club moving forward. We find ourselves experiencing déjà vu, where boardroom decisions lead to more questions than they answer. If we all want to pull in the same direction, transparency is needed. As supporters we often offer blind devotion to our football team. Due to our history, we do not afford the same luxury to the football club. It is equally as important for you to trust in supporters, so that we can work together for the betterment of the football club, as it is for us to trust in you.

okay. stop us if you've heard this before. we think that supporters should be in the boardroom to tell you what shankly would have wanted. anything short of that means you have no vision and you're absentee owners and you're also mean poopy heads.

We ask that you speak with supporters – engage with a true representative cross section of supporters and work with supporters to provide solutions to our current problems. This will enable communication with supporters to take place in an open and accountable manner.

Hopefully hear from you soon.

Spirit Of Shankly

CALL US, BROS.

Can we appoint Daaaave for director of communications?

Are you far from Boston? I don't know my US geography to be completely honest.

literally could not be further away unless I was chilling with sarah palin in wasilla, alaska :D

the trouble is publicity like that letter just feeds the trolls, really not sure what benefit sos think they will get from it.

talk***** was peddling tonight how we are a club in crisis comparing us to blackburn all fed from crap like that letter.

the trouble is publicity like that letter just feeds the trolls, really not sure what benefit sos think they will get from it.

talk***** was peddling tonight how we are a club in crisis comparing us to blackburn all fed from crap like that letter.

all they'll hear is "they mentioned the letter!" and think it proves their importance. like the media doesn't delight in seeing liverpool fans turn on their own.

Louis Van Gaal as Sport Director and AVB as manager 5 year contract while apparently we are redeveloping Anfield thats the latest on twitter. One of the 3 must be right. Bookies have stopped taking bets on AVB but doesn't mean anything with what people have bet on in the past and didn't materialise.

I hate not looking forward to football at the weekend.

Still a month and a half to go before we can bring in anyone new or ship out anyone rubbish, and even then it's unlikely any of that is going to happen for the first couple of weeks of the window because of the Euros and the club generally just settling down with the new management team in place.

Basically, going to be realllllly bored for the next couple of months. Thread will just be weeks of arguing the pros and cons of whichever manager we appoint.

Stopped believing anything on Twitter ages ago. Its summer and they can take another 2-3 weeks to decide if they wish. As long as they get an appointment that they are happy with and structure the club how they wish then I believe we will be moving forwards.

liverpool times reporting the redevelopment development (with quotes from ayre) and the van gaal contender.

avb allegedly spotted at the hope st hotel appears to be only a twitter rumor

About the hotel someone posted a pic showing nothing going on there and news not to be true. Martinez is supposed to fly out tomorow so don't know if the AVB is going to happen as early as tomorow as I would have thought they would have wanted to interview Martinez at the very least although they prob have already for all I know.

no head of PR.

Not sure what bag you've been wearing over your head, but Jen Chang has been filling that role for around a week now. And that's ignoring that the club have four full time press officers anyway. Guess that doesn't fit in with disinformation central though.

Wonder who will be getting the managers job tomorow as it seems like we've been linked with just about everybody now.

Has there ever been such a media frenzy for a high profile job in football management? Maybe I'm just noticing more because it's Liverpool but it's getting a bit silly now.

It's almost like FSG are too naive and they're going about it the 'right' way as in asking people if they're interested when that's now how football works, it's words in the ear of someone into the ear of someone else so you end up appointing someone and no one officially turns down a job as no one is officially offered one except the guy you get at the end.

I think either set your criteria and approach someone you are interested in for the job or invite applications that are closed to the media, this, whatever it is, is neither here nor there. You're gonna end up with someone who's name is mentioned 4th in this long list and the club will say he's the number 1 target and everyone else will think he's 4th choice at best especially as de Boer is saying he was approached for the job not even an interview (is that right?)

If we do appoint van Gaal, I can't see AVB working well under his presence. I think all things are pointing to Martinez atm.

If anything, I would switch the roles up, Van Gaal as coach and AVB as DoF. AVB did perfectly fine with transfer with Chelsea (showing long term vision) but lacked something to be desired as far managing the players and their personalities and tried to implement ill-fitting tactics (suicidal high defensive line with Terry and Luiz). Van Gaal on the other hand did good work managing like turning Schweinsteiger from a average winger into a world class deep midfielder and jump-starting Müller's career.

AVB wouldn't go for that this early in his managerial career I wouldn't think. It's clear though whoever does take the job will (or should be) aware he won't have a great deal of control over a lot of things, even tactically.

I think the independent said van Gaal would have influence on the training ground too. Seems like FSG are looking at their baseball knowledge to influence the structure of the club, although van Gaal is a bit prettier than Brad Pitt :D

Can see whoever gets manager being undermined considerably by LVG.

No news. Just Ayre saying that despite the club's silence, an announcement may occur sooner than expected.

They have progressed to an advanced level with 2 global companies for naming rights. So expect something like the Apple Anfield Arena ;)

Quite a ring to it that actually... :D

Some people have been tweeting Obama asking him to get involved and make sure the American owners appoint Rafa ha ha some people.

that mad me laugh

for the benefit of kopite. md = ceo. it might be one you don't like. but we have one.

the terms are interchangeable.

Archived