Liverpool Thread 2011/12

Rafalution

• Replies 13.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My main worry is have to ensure that we are not at the end of next season saying well it wasn't good enough we need to go in a different direction etc, But at the same time we are not going to just walk back into champions league with just a change to management.

Big appointment, I think a proper, experienced Manager is needed but not sure your current situation will attract the level you want/need, this is the issue

If FSG are going to give the new manager significant financial backing then I think we could get someone "big". But if the new guy is stuck with Downing, Spearing and only has £10M to spend then I don't think many would be lining up.

Lets be fair, nobody could spend £100m as badly as Kenny did. That alone meant he had to go. 8th place was just an aside to that. If he didn't win the Carling Cup (which is a waste of time anyway) even the most ardent of Kenny supporters couldn't be claiming he'd done a good job this season.

Kenny saying he wouldn't swap the Carling Cup win for anything.

Don't know about you guys, but I'd happily swap it for the league title. Maybe if Kenny had this attitude he wouldn't have been sacked.

We've probably got a team similar in quality to the one Man City had after their first year of investment.

How much more money did they have to spend to get from there to where they are now? That's what the owners need to realise. It's not an invest once in a bunch of young players and leave it to grow, then get your profits.

However. The right manager in, the right backroom staff, the right executives, a couple of big players and a stadium decision along with quite a nice looking kit and the couple of quality players we already have could see us look impressive very quickly in terms of brand, finances and performance.

The wrong decisions could make us limply get a bit better than 8th and still look clueless.

My initial feeling is it's brave as **** from the owners. Now the next appontment is huge, would Martinez, Lambert etc really be up to it? Big risk. Surely a DoF would be appointed first if that's the model they want to stick with?

Also, when the dust settles i wonder what the opinion of Steve Clarke will be. As has been mentioned we've been pretty shoddy defensively for a while now, especially from set pieces it seemed to me.

Gutted isn't the word. Really dissapointed in the owners. I think people in here need to be careful what they wish for. If we end up with Martinez or Rogers I think everyone will realise this was a mistake.

There are two seperate issues though. Dalglish needed to go so he's gone. The next step is the new Manager. Ending up with Rogers or Martinez and that not working out down the line does not mean Dalglish should have stayed now. You still need a new manager and it's the right decision imo

When a manager isn't doing well you often hear 'who would do better' but if the current guy isn't doing well then it doesn't mean they should remain in the job by default

Rafa bought some quality players and led us to 2 champions league finals and 1 semi final I think. Rafa is a great tactician he is brilliant for european football but for me he isn't good enough for the premiership.

Rafa bought some quality players and led us to 2 champions league finals and 1 semi final I think. Rafa is a great tactician he is brilliant for european football but for me he isn't good enough for the premiership.

Perfect for our ambitions then, as we have no chance of winning the Premiership for the foreseeable future and shouldn't even be considering it a target.

Regardless of what he's done, Terry is England's best CB whether you like it or not.

You might think so, but you'd be completely wrong.

Terry is another way over rated Englishmen who was good in his day, but get's shown up constantly for his lack of agility and pace (even more so now). Rio was, and still is twice the player.

Sorry, but center backs in todays game need more than ariel ability and last gasp hollywood tackles to get by. Watch him get annihalated in the Euros by anybody with an ounce of skill and pace.

Edit - Hope we're aiming higher than Martinez, though I'll be 100% behind him if we did get him. A young, talented, hungry manager could do well.

Terry is another way over rated Englishmen who was good in his day, but get's shown up constantly for his lack of agility and pace (even more so now). Rio was, and still is twice the player.

Sorry, but center backs in todays game need more than ariel ability and last gasp hollywood tackles to get by. Watch him get annihalated in the Euros by anybody with an ounce of skill and pace.

So, you've got one defender who's better, in your opinion. Better start naming some more otherwise your side is getting a spanking.

Edit - Hope we're aiming higher than Martinez, though I'll be 100% behind him if we did get him. A young, talented, hungry manager could do well.

Erm, sorry this is England we are talking about not some namby bamby foreigner, passion trumps all. Fact!

And yet he got the second highest league points total (points per league game) in the clubs history back in 2008/09? Not much he could do about United getting 90 points despite us beating them twice that season.

Should have won the league that year, draws to stoke, fulham and hull off the top of my head cost us

Should we have beaten United twice? Should we have beat Chelsea home and away?

Over a season all sides win games they maybe shouldn't and lose games they maybe shouldn't. United dropped points that season they shouldn't have, thats football.

I wonder if rafa would even consider that dof position.

His key skills are coaching and tactical play - neither of those skills are needed by a DOF. It would be a waste of his talents tbh.

His key skills are coaching and tactical play - neither of those skills are needed by a DOF. It would be a waste of his talents tbh.

I don't necessarily agree? if anything his tactics qwere the #1 thing he was criticized for in being overly defensive and playing 4-2-3-1's at home leading to those bore draws. and his man management was notoriously prickly with players complaining that they felt like chess pieces to him. plus the fallings out he had with various assistants.

but meanwhile, he was aggressive in both restructuring the academy and pursuing a vision for where liverpool as a club should go. and while not proportioning to him all the credit that may go to his scouts, I belive it's widely assumed that he already had a keen eye on talents and new ideas abroad.

I'm not saying he would covet the role since it doesn't really match his passion. and in fact, if he had the job I think it would only be a matter of time before he tried to assert himself into the manager's business. but I do think it could possibly be a good fit for a man who is compelled to look at running a club from every conceivable aspect.

The whole looking at a current EPL manager isn't official is it?

I mean, looked how that worked for the players that came in...

the report I saw this morning (american west coast time) said sky sports reported liverpool had approached martinez. I haven't seen that officially rubbished yet.

Rafa loves players who are in his side, doesnt talk to the ones who arent. His man management skills are awful at best. His best signings were no brainers bar Reina. Trying to replace the class Alonso with the clogger Barry? Paying £7m for Pennant and he leaves on a free 3 years later? Genius that one.

75% of the players at Valencia hated Rafa. Not quite that % at Liverpool but there would have been quite a few who disliked the man.

Flying in the league, Rafa opens his big gob about Fergie and then we throw it away.

And Liverpool fans want this guy back??

Rafa loves players who are in his side, doesnt talk to the ones who arent. His man management skills are awful at best. His best signings were no brainers bar Reina. Trying to replace the class Alonso with the clogger Barry? Paying £7m for Pennant and he leaves on a free 3 years later? Genius that one.

75% of the players at Valencia hated Rafa. Not quite that % at Liverpool but there would have been quite a few who disliked the man.

Flying in the league, Rafa opens his big gob about Fergie and then we throw it away.

And Liverpool fans want this guy back??

110% that is the reason we did not win the league.

110% that is the reason we did not win the league.

We lost the league because we were cautious under Rafa. I think we were top by a few points start of December then drew a few games 0-0 West Ham springs to mind. Liverpool played great around start of March when we were playing catch up and had nothing to lose and second assured. Rafa is a great tactican one of the best in europe but he isn't cut out for the premiership but he did buy quality players when given the money and don't forget he wanted David Villa £7 million which Rick Parry thought was too much. Augero £18 million Rick Parry thought was too much for a teenager and Alves.

Vidic and Evra were other players he wanted but they opted for United over us.

We lost the league because we were cautious under Rafa. I think we were top by a few points start of December then drew a few games 0-0 West Ham springs to mind. Liverpool played great around start of March when we were playing catch up and had nothing to lose and second assured. Rafa is a great tactican one of the best in europe but he isn't cut out for the premiership but he did buy quality players when given the money and don't forget he wanted David Villa £7 million which Rick Parry thought was too much. Augero £18 million Rick Parry thought was too much for a teenager and Alves.

Vidic and Evra were other players he wanted but they opted for United over us.

We couldn't even pay his severance package

Archived