Liverpool Thread 2011/12

Rafalution

We have been given permission to speak to Roberto Martinez. This is all part of FSG drawing up a shortlist of people to interview, but as long as one of them is Rafa I am comfortable with that.

• Replies 13.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

5live reporting that you've also approached Swansea for their gaffer.

Whats your coaching setup like btw? Has everyone walked / been sacked ? Very unsure that the likes of Skrtl would take the likes of Dennis Lawrence seriously.

Distinctly underwhelmed. We should be aiming higher than that. Martinez has way too many question marks about him to be happy if he's appointed. We'll have to take a wait and see approach, see what he does over the summer and who he brings in. Have a feeling it may be a lot of averageness like he's used to. iirc when he took over at Wigan he brought in a load of championship players who he was looking at at Swansea.

5live reporting that you've also approached Swansea for their gaffer.

Whats your coaching setup like btw? Has everyone walked / been sacked ? Very unsure that the likes of Skrtl would take the likes of Dennis Lawrence seriously.

Clarke is still here. Then, ermmmmm...

I've got a feeling we could sway Klopp into joining us. I doubt he'll get the financial backing to turn Dortmund into a European heavyweight and so may be thinking he's achieved all that he can there.

A good financial offer with the additional promise of transfer funds may be too good to resist.

Wishful thinking maybe but I have a good gut feeling about him: definitely not happening then :D

Don't think money is an issue for Klopp, though (Dortmund have a quality scouting program and have done an incredible job in the transfer windows under Klopp whilst not having that much to spend - examples such as buying Kagawa for peanuts, Piszczek on a free, Lewandowski for little money and even when selling Sahin for something like 8M Euros, they've brought in Gündogan and Perišić brought in from the Sahin money and the only 'big' money spent has been on Reus now) but I understand what you're getting at if he had the financial backing Liverpool can provide.

I see no reason why he should want to leave - at least not this season - as he's done the double, broke the record points tally in the Bundesliga and has won back to back titles and would want to prove that Dortmund can do well in the CL after their disappointing European effort this year.

Massively underwhelmed with the Martinez news that has leaked so far. Sure, he could come good, but the facts are that his wigan team was pants for most of three season and that he hasnt really progressed them as a club since he took over. In his own right hes not a terrible signing, but im very unsure as to what the justification is for taking him over the likes of Rafa or even AVB. The worst thing in this situation can be if he doesnt start well - the RAWK types will be on his back from the beginning as he will be the man who removed Kenny and he will be hounded out. I sincerely hope that, if he gets the job, he does well and we're all fooled, but given the likelihood of that based on his previous form, and indeed who else is available, one has to question this decision.

Massively underwhelmed with the Martinez news that has leaked so far. Sure, he could come good, but the facts are that his wigan team was pants for most of three season and that he hasnt really progressed them as a club since he took over. In his own right hes not a terrible signing, but im very unsure as to what the justification is for taking him over the likes of Rafa or even AVB. The worst thing in this situation can be if he doesnt start well - the RAWK types will be on his back from the beginning as he will be the man who removed Kenny and he will be hounded out. I sincerely hope that, if he gets the job, he does well and we're all fooled, but given the likelihood of that based on his previous form, and indeed who else is available, one has to question this decision.

On the looks of it he hasnt but go and look at the work he's doing behind the scenes to put things in place for the long term before judging that. Progressing a club isnt all about looking at the Premiership table. It would be very short sighted to do that.

What do Wigan fans think of Martinez's football?

Yeah it's good entertaining football. You are always likely to ship goals with the way he plays - i'm sure defenders get a fine if a pass is longer than 20 yards - but it's good entertaining football but i think it takes players, even very very good ones, a long while to get used to his system, mainly because it's pretty complicated. It's all about the short passing game which sometimes leads to frustrations because if a team camp themselves on the edge of you box we'll still try to pass it through them for 90mins without trying anything different.

He'd either have to change the way he sets up his teams or totally remodel Andy Carroll and convert him into a "footballer", for example

Yeah it's good entertaining football. You are always likely to ship goals with the way he plays - i'm sure defenders get a fine if a pass is longer than 20 yards - but it's good entertaining football but i think it takes players, even very very good ones, a long while to get used to his system, mainly because it's pretty complicated. It's all about the short passing game which sometimes leads to frustrations because if a team camp themselves on the edge of you box we'll still try to pass it through them for 90mins without trying anything different.

He'd either have to change the way he sets up his teams or totally remodel Andy Carroll and convert him into a "footballer", for example

Its one way to remove carra from the wage bill tho with all the fines he would incur :D

On the looks of it he hasnt but go and look at the work he's doing behind the scenes to put things in place for the long term before judging that. Progressing a club isnt all about looking at the Premiership table. It would be very short sighted to do that.

I'll be even more blunt. what do you think the chances are that wigan stays up next season if martinez goes?

Think it is only Carra who plays long balls. Well Coates and Enrique every now and again.

We have been rubbish at breaking teams down for the last few years.

he hasnt really progressed them as a club

according to this

http://www.transferleague.co.uk/premiership-transfers/wigan-athletic-transfers.html

they've been a net selling club for 3 out of the past 4 seasonsand he's still managed to keep them up. from a small club who measures success by the balance sheet as much or more than the table, I'd say he's progressed them plenty. whelan's made tens of millions with martinez in charge.

I'll be even more blunt. what do you think the chances are that wigan stays up next season if martinez goes?

We cant be relegated. It's in the Premier League rules.

according to this

http://www.transferleague.co.uk/premiership-transfers/wigan-athletic-transfers.html

they've been a net selling club for 3 out of the past 4 seasonsand he's still managed to keep them up. from a small club who measures success by the balance sheet as much or more than the table, I'd say he's progressed them plenty. whelan's made tens of millions with martinez in charge.

Whelan hasnt made anything, thats often something he is accused of, even by our own fans. He's simply paid off about £60m worth of debt with what we have brought in and personally just recently written off the remaining debt :)

tbf paying off accrued debt is more or less the same as turning a profit. your balance sheet is still getting healthier and healthier. if he were to sell the club tomorrow, each dollar of debt lost is one more dollar he can capture in the sale price.

I think I'd be happy with any of rafa, avb or martinez. the cynic in the back of my head tells me that the appointment will also sort of signal fsg's commitment to the club over the next half-decade. that is to say:

martinez - happy with a medium sized kitty and a dof to concentrate on all matters other than tactics, training and morale

avb - hold out for a larger kitty to remake the squad in his image. work with a dof but have a larger voice to make sure his input is taken on board

rafa - equal transfer budget as avb. demands full voice in determining progress of the academy and all football matters. equal to dof in all non-business related deals

so how much power and money do they want to invest in their next manager?

Really hoping we don't go for Martinez, nice guy but totally unproven at a big club and doesn't inspire the fans imo. I'd prefer a big proven name with a track record of success at a top club in modern day football. That's a short list honestly, even shorter if you narrow that down further to include only young managers.

I've read him pretty extensively, interviewed with him a couple of times for background, and follow his stuff on twitter. I can't speak obviously to how he'll do in a top management role but as a journalist he was quite good. got his point across and let his subjects speak for themselves rather than make himself the star and try to control the narrative

Here's a question for you, would you accept Soklsjaer as Liverpool manager?

Take his credentials out of the equation, would you be able to look past the fact that he's got an evil, evil past? (i.e. the whole Man Utd thing).

I think I would.

Archived