Liverpool Thread 2011/12

Rafalution

Interesting article on the youth program from a year ago, can't remember if it's been linked before. I think it's important that the owners retain a long-term vision for the club, which means investing in good young players (Coates, Henderson, Teixeira, even Carroll fits this description) and also maintaining stability under a manager who likes to play good technical football and who wants to be here for the long haul. I'd be happy for Kenny to stay another season if it means getting the right person to follow him long-term, that's the most important thing. A rushed appointment at this stage could be disastrous.

• Replies 13.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Lol at Divinty's list.

That leaves us with 19 players, three of which are completely unproven youths. Yeah we're not going to be spending another £100m+

Didn't remotely say anything about spending a hundred million. And it leaves us with 20. This season 23 players got first-team football in the league. Of those 23, Meireles left after two appearances, Aurelio made one start and one sub appearance, and Sterling made three sub appearances. Robinson didn't get a single appearance in the league, so it's hardly beyond the realms of imagination that we could purchase only three players whilst having no issues as far as depth goes.

Well there's no way you're buying Downing and then selling him off, of course you'll keep him and work with him (you'd think). Every summer is the same, talk of big clubs shifting on about 8 players and bringing in 9 but in reality not much changes at all

Keane was an unusual case and that doesn't happen very often. I can't even remember who left you last season but you had some junk lying about but were they all integral first teamers? I think you may dump the likes of Maxi and Kuyt so the chances of a new signing, Downing leaving are even less

Which ties in to how much more money are they prepared to spend, of course. I did read Dalglish was putting to them that wholesale changes weren't required for next season but that may have been to help his own cause 'ah, we don't need to spend too much'

Didn't remotely say anything about spending a hundred million. And it leaves us with 20. This season 23 players got first-team football in the league. Of those 23, Meireles left after two appearances, Aurelio made one start and one sub appearance, and Sterling made three sub appearances. Robinson didn't get a single appearance in the league, so it's hardly beyond the realms of imagination that we could purchase only three players whilst having no issues as far as depth goes.

We'll need more depth with European games this season, especially as Kenny said our squad was getting tired in Jan/Feb because of too many games.

Really you can't make huge changes like that year on year. It's disruptive to the squad and affects consistency IMO. You can get away with it once really (generally when a new manager arrives) and then really you have to evolve what you've got by targeting transfer when needed.

I don't think we need 6 1st teamers for instance. In key positions we perhaps need 3 players of better quality - A right winger of some description, an AMC and a striker. We probably need 3 squad players too at LB, DMC and a further winger.

I think good signings in those positions could be enough to strengthen the squad. We should had have at least 2 good quality players for every position. Especially, where don't have a good enough youth players coming through.

I agree with bell, we've had pretty big changes in the last 2 summers and look what has happened. We just need 3 players who can go straight into the first team - pacy winger, creative midfielder and a poacher with a bit of pace up front. Maybe a couple of back-ups to replace those likely to leave, but we don't want wholesale changes if we can help it.

Downing in over Johnsen. Hilarious.

Tbh, I don't really care about England anymore. They're **** and it doesn't matter what certain, over rated players do, they will never be dropped and other people won't be given a chance, even though most of the old guard have proved time and time again that they can't hack it.

Oh and I believe the selections are pretty racist. Obvious Rio was going to be kept out over that ****ing scumbag Terry wasn't it, but that's just the tip of the iceberg.

Mon Rafa.

If Kenny has walked then fair play to him. Obviously he's been pushed by the board though. It is a shame, but he's taken us nowhere really despite having a massive amount to spend. If anything theres more work to do now than there was when he arrived.

I will not believe it until it is on the website of Liverpool or the club make a statement.

The BBC wouldn't publish anything on their website unless they were 100% sure it was correct, unlike sky etc., so I think it's fair to believe it now. Admittedly, I'm also waiting for a club statement online, will be interesting to see how he went (sacked or walked).

i didnt see how fsg could see this season as anything other than the disaster it was, i'd have actually lost respect for them if he'd stayed on, sorry kenny thanks for your efforts :thup:

if the rumours are true rafas not our man. with the martinez rumour coming out of the blue over the weekend, i'm lead to believe he may well be our next manager. for me its a massive risk to go for another unproven manager when we could pick from the top shelf still and would surely minimise risk by doing so.

Wow. Not sure Martinez is the right way to go. He 's done well at Wigan over the last couple of months but during the first half of the season everyone was thinking he was for the chop.

Need a manager who knows how to win things, need Rafa.

I will not believe it until it is on the website of Liverpool or the club make a statement.

Pretty sure the BBC and Times arent in the habit breaking completely false stories. It'll have come from the club or KD himself.

Archived