Weirdest Nationalities of players

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

On Odd Nationalities I have a Haitian on trial at Dover yet I gather this is a town that may get it's fair share of foreign born nationals.

An odd stat though will an English Manager win the EPL? And will one do it before the next Scotsman?

Ok. Last effort.

Scott.

1. Would you mind telling me what Countries and Leagues you have loaded on your game?

2. Do you think that the Countries and Leagues you have loaded within your game might have just the slightest impact in how many players they produce?

Ok, Well you have suggested Croatia, Ukraine and Jamaica. I have listed many many players from each one of them.

All of these players I had heard of before I posted in this thread. Some of the other Nations that have been suggested are as follows.

Cape Verde.

Liechtenstein.

Fiji.

Northern Mariana Islands.

Bhutan.

Maldives.

Sri lanka.

Bahrain.

Wallis & Fortuna.

Aruba.

America Samoa.

Tadjikistan.

Reunion.

Central African Republic.

Mauritius.

Botswana.

Guinea-Bissau.

Comoros.

Guinea.

Congo.

Guadeloupe.

Democratic Republic of Cong

Off the top of my head, I am unaware of a professional footballer from any of these Nations playing at any level. That doesn't mean that there haven't been any. It just means that (A) they are not as common and (B) they are not as well known. I will be honest and admit that there are some names there that I didn't even know existed until seeing them in FM, (Central African Republic, Guinea-Bissau & Comoros). Can you see why that makes it weird to then see a footballer from there in FM game?

Compare that to the relative footballing superpowers of Ukraine and Croatia, and to Jamaica which obviously has huge immigrant links with the UK. If you can't see the difference between the list up there and your choices then.....

Guadeloupe and Reunion are part of France and not in FIFA, so good players born in those places generally play for the French national teams.

Here are a few born in each place (not counting any with parents born there):

Guadeloupe:

Lilian Thuram

Pascal Chimbonda

Ronald Zubar

Reunion:

Florent Sinama-Pongolle

Dmitri Payet

Guillaume Hoarau

Never knew Croatia, Jamaica and Ukraine were weird nationalities for players. These are pretty common.

Anyway, in my save there is a world class defender from Thailand playing for Bayern Munich. I've noticed Bayern have 3 South Koreans, 1 Thai, 1 Chinese and two Japanese in their first team. They're all world class or potentially world class. Also not saying japan, South Korea and Chinese are weird just interesting seeing Bayern buying mainly from Asia on my save.

Could help that the German league has no restrictions on foreign/non-EU players.

had a vietnamese regen striker come through the youth ranks at arsenal, used as a rotation player and is currently 2 star CA with 5 star PA. Also in england u-21s which will make him stand out when he makes the england team......

(in the 2nd regen batch, arsenal has a puerto rican striker called torres)

Got regens from the NORTHERN MARIANA ISLANDS.

Not to mention Bhutan, Maldives, loads from Sri Lanka, Bahrain, Qatar, etc, etc.

I can post screenies of him from the NMI if you want...

I had a world class player from the Northern Marianas Islands. He was an absolute star.

I also had another great player form Zanzibar.

Found a class regen from Djibouti, striker with 20 pace and acceleration and 19 strength,agility,balance and jumping.

His technical stats were ok but his mental stats were atrocious 4 anticipation and 8 off the ball.

looking through my FM12 screenshots, and found a newgen from cyprus I signed for my premier league team

I have a 5 star PA right winger for my Cardiff side from Cyprus. Was in the national team at the age of 17...

Not sure it really counts as 'weird' but as my team is based in Bilbao, all my regens from my youth system have Basque citizenship and all speak Basque. Having once tried to learn Basque (it was a boring summer), I think I'll be doing my teamtalks in Spanish...

Admittedly I'm playing as FC Vaduz, so that quality isn't always the greatest, but my most dominant centreback is captain of the Indian national team

Funny you should say that but I found a pretty decent Indian striker playing in Serbia over the weekend.

I'm about to play against a SC from Dominica. (Not Dominican Republic). It's a small Island in the Caribbean (near Guadalupe & Martinique). Never even heard of it before.

[Edit]

And after just 3 minutes and 13 seconds he has scored against me.

grrrr

I signed a Tajik striker. I don't think he's all that great, but he was cheap and I might be able to turn a profit on selling him.

Plus, I like the idea of Tajikistan having a half-decent player.

In 10 years of playing FM, I've spotted a solitary good Mongolian player. He had a respectable career playing 10 or so seasons in the Eredivisie.

Am about to play against a Dutch striker with Curaçaoan as a 2nd Nationality. (Another Caribbean Island).

Not surprising actually as Curacao is part of the Kingdom of the Netherlands. The Netherlands in Europe are also "just" a part of it.

Not surprising actually as Curacao is part of the Kingdom of the Netherlands. The Netherlands in Europe are also "just" a part of it.

Well I have played a LOT of CM/FM over the years and I have never seen a Curaçaoan before, so it may not be "weird" to you, but it's certainly weird to me. :lol:

Well I have played a LOT of CM/FM over the years and I have never seen a Curaçaoan before, so it may not be "weird" to you, but it's certainly weird to me. :lol:

They were part of the Netherlands Antilles until a couple of years ago, maybe because of this. Newcastle's Anita is from Curacao for example. They've got lots of baseball players in the MLB though.

I just realized that in my Boca game I have a German-Argentinian goalkeeper called Samuel Aguilar who doesn't speak Spanish. :D

They were part of the Netherlands Antilles until a couple of years ago, maybe because of this. Newcastle's Anita is from Curacao for example. They've got lots of baseball players in the MLB though.

I just realized that in my Boca game I have a German-Argentinian goalkeeper called Samuel Aguilar who doesn't speak Spanish. :D

My Uruguay/Congo player couldn't speak French until I signed him for Nancy. He ended up representing Congo at international level in the end.

• 2 weeks later...

I once saw someone post a screenshot of a player, no one else picked up, he was born in an island nation, and the 'city' he was born in (which had the same name as an English one, Portsmouth I think) is a volcanic hell hole that's long been abandoned and cordoned off from the general public due to danger of... well, lava.

Incidentally I have a young Batswana striker. However at a point when I was dominating I had the reverse policy: I tried to sign the top English or British players so I could avoid having a foreign team, trying to emulate Alex Ferguson.

I once saw someone post a screenshot of a player, no one else picked up (probably because they didn't know about the area) that the guy was born in an obscure nation with a 'city' that was the same name as an English one, I think it was called 'Portsmouth'. What no one noticed was this part of the island is abandoned and a volcanic hell hole. It'd be like saying someone was born under the sea.

Incidentally I have a young Batswana striker.

Probably from Plymouth, Montserrat.

That's it.

I was bummed that I pointed it out when I saw the guy's screenshot, but no one noticed my post. I thought it was an epic find. :(

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plymouth,_Montserrat

Good find sir :p maybe his parents were explorers working for a volcanic research company and he was born in the wild?

I find some of the dual nationalities intriguing. In my current Scottish save I've found a player from United Arab Emirates, born in Dubai. He has a Scottish name with Scotland as a 2nd nationality.

I find some of the dual nationalities intriguing. In my current Scottish save I've found a player from United Arab Emirates, born in Dubai. He has a Scottish name with Scotland as a 2nd nationality.

That seems quite realistic to me. Scots man works off Aberdeen in North Sea Oil Industry and learns his trade. Then moves to Dubai with work.

The only issue is that any Scotsman worth his salt would have ensured that his boy was born at home in Scotland. :lol:

This is pretty standard. It would be more surprising if someone was going from a rich country to a less developed one, or from a country people usually flee from. Like an Iranian or a Pole with an English surname.

Archived